HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What's up with Marc-Andre Bergeron? Why no NHL tryout at least?

Old
09-22-2010, 02:08 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
He is just awful. Everything falls into chaos when he's on the ice.

waffledave
waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Everything falls into chaos when he's on the ice.

That's one way of putting it. Absolutely correct as well

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 02:49 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

He adds a new, entertaining dimension to the game that few GM's are willing to risk with their respective teams.

How Montreal was able to beat Pittsburgh with MAB in all games, Markov missing most of the time and one of Gill or Spacek missing some games beyond me. Credit must go to the rest of the D.

Bergeron turned over the puck so frequently it stunned the opposition to the point where they didn't know what to do. It was like watching a jumpshooter miss a wide open shot in basketball - stunned that they were wide open but couldn't bury it.

But he worked his tail and did what he could to make up for his deficiencies. And at times he actually made some good defensive plays and moved the puck decently.

I do wish him luck because he definitely helped the Montreal powerplay with that lethal shot and played with a lot of heart.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Reign Nateo

He's a liability in the defensive zone, small and injured... Can probably figure out why he hasn't got a call.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:12 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
He is just awful. Everything falls into chaos when he's on the ice.
That's so true!

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Bergerons only NHL caliber skill set is his shot, but there were too many times he wouldn't shoot and kept passing it back to the other point man. Frustrating as hell.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:28 PM
HemskyToHall*

ECHL-calibre defensively, but has one of the best point shots/One Timers in the league.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
As long as you keep him as a 7th D-Man, he is a tremendous asset to have on your team.

That shot he has is truly a world class shot.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Bobby Smash

im a big fan of MAB. he straight blasts fools with his shot.

Bobby Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 03:05 AM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Consider time on ice...

Hamrlik played 20+ minutes almost every game, up to 25+ when Markov was injured. Spacek played between 18 and 22 minutes every game, same with Gill. MAB would rarely get more than 10. At most (in our most desperate times) he'd get 18, if I remember correctly. MAB was even played as a 7th d-man/forward sometimes, getting ice time only on the powerplay.

The problem with MAB is in his head. Some games he can be decent defensively and his slapshots always hit the net. Most of the time however he's prone to make bonehead plays. Lack of confidence perhaps, which is bound to happen when you are like 5'10'' facing 6'4'' mastondonts in the NHL. He's also clearly not the brightest fellow, or at least that's what I gather from his interviews in french.

The worst thing is that at some point last season he actually became overconfident, and his play got even worst! He'd start playing like Markov and cause a zillion turnovers on powerplays... He had me screaming at the TV : ''stop passing, stop deking, just EFFING SHOOT THE PUCK. its your one and only job!''.

Oh and he's a terrible skater also for his size. He could have been a fairly decent player if he were faster as it could have given him a chance to redeem himself in case he adventures too far in the o-zone at the wrong time or forgets about positioning. It would also allow him to recover the puck in the corner before being leveled and outmuscled by just about anyone.
Hahaha glad i was not the only one screaming this at the TV.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVjqGDVIVso

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

Aaaahhh. Yes. MAB is awful in his own end. Seriously, he's the worst D I've ever seen in my whole life.

Then again, his slapshot on the PP was awesome. So many times I heard myself thinking "That awful player just scored an awesome goal".

If he wasn't hurt, he'd have a contract. Not sure I want him on my team though.

He's like Streit but even more of a liabilty on D. Way more (and I was scared with Streit on D).

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Consider time on ice...

Hamrlik played 20+ minutes almost every game, up to 25+ when Markov was injured. Spacek played between 18 and 22 minutes every game, same with Gill. MAB would rarely get more than 10. At most (in our most desperate times) he'd get 18, if I remember correctly. MAB was even played as a 7th d-man/forward sometimes, getting ice time only on the powerplay.

The problem with MAB is in his head. Some games he can be decent defensively and his slapshots always hit the net. Most of the time however he's prone to make bonehead plays. Lack of confidence perhaps, which is bound to happen when you are like 5'10'' facing 6'4'' mastondonts in the NHL. He's also clearly not the brightest fellow, or at least that's what I gather from his interviews in french.

The worst thing is that at some point last season he actually became overconfident, and his play got even worst! He'd start playing like Markov and cause a zillion turnovers on powerplays... He had me screaming at the TV : ''stop passing, stop deking, just EFFING SHOOT THE PUCK. its your one and only job!''.

Oh and he's a terrible skater also for his size. He could have been a fairly decent player if he were faster as it could have given him a chance to redeem himself in case he adventures too far in the o-zone at the wrong time or forgets about positioning. It would also allow him to recover the puck in the corner before being leveled and outmuscled by just about anyone.
Hahaha, indeed. I almost lost my voice screaming and/or panicking whenever he stepped out. A frequent statement was usually "What are you doing Martin?! HE SUCKS!" Little less PG than that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
The catch is, if you give just about *ANY* talented-ish high-level professional hockey player 1st unit PP time, they will probably get at least some decent percentage of those 15 goals and 30 to 40 points. Most organizations have some kid in the minors or some other journeyman they could stick out on the PP. Or you could play your Hamrlik/Spacek type and take some reduction (10 goals and 28 points???) while at the same time not having to worry about the ES and situational useage in the least.

Bergeron is better than most on the PP. It is very debateable whether that's good enough to offset the other weaknesses in his game. I think the consensus (including 30 NHL GMs) is that he's not.

However, I still don't get why teams don't seem to want to convert him to a forward who plays the point on the PP.
This has always baffled me as well. Consider we once had Laraque, who was absolutely worthless in every capacity, I cannot understand why he could not be suited to the fourth line and just play point on the powerplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
He adds a new, entertaining dimension to the game that few GM's are willing to risk with their respective teams.

How Montreal was able to beat Pittsburgh with MAB in all games, Markov missing most of the time and one of Gill or Spacek missing some games beyond me. Credit must go to the rest of the D.

Bergeron turned over the puck so frequently it stunned the opposition to the point where they didn't know what to do. It was like watching a jumpshooter miss a wide open shot in basketball - stunned that they were wide open but couldn't bury it.

But he worked his tail and did what he could to make up for his deficiencies. And at times he actually made some good defensive plays and moved the puck decently.

I do wish him luck because he definitely helped the Montreal powerplay with that lethal shot and played with a lot of heart.
Jaraslov Halak was the reason we survived. Honorably mention to Gorges and Gill, who were out of their mind in defensive clutch however the abs run began and ended with absolutely inhuman play for Halak.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:48 PM
AK

It boggles the mind how he has lucked into as many points as he has in his career. He's not a good defenseman, and he never really was.

If this was baseball, I'd call him replacement level.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

It's kind of ridiculous how people just now realize he's not a very good hockey player. Okay people we get it jesus christ enough with the "lolz he sucks" garbage. Outside of the offensive blueline he's not a very good player but on the powerplay he'll easily give you a 5% boost and 10-15 goals. He'll get signed somewhere. He's the type of guy where you know what you're getting and it's not a guy you can put out on the ice at even strength. He'll get a contract at some point he doesn't need to go to a training camp invite.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:57 PM
FloydTheBarber

Markus Naslund misses MAB. Many career highlights vs that guy.

FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:34 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
It was fun watching Marc-Andre Bergeron. Something was always happening while he was on the ice. Either he was scoring on a power play, or the other team was scoring on even-strength because for some reason, he was on the ice. No middle ground.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

As a Habs fan, I never liked him, but still last season he was our 5th top scorer after Pleks, Cammy, Gionta and Gomez. He scored more points that for instance Andrei Kostitsyn, with the same amount of games. I'd say he'll become a nice addition for a team like Isles. One of the best point shots in the league.

Jack DiBiase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Bergeron can still help a team with PP problems, that's for sure.

It's a matter of been available at the right time for him. He'll be ready in a few weeks (injury) and if a team as a need at that time, he'll get a contract.

It's ridiculous to based your opinion on Bergeron play in the last playoffs. He's bad defensively, that is absolutly true.

But he was playing injured (he had a surgery after the playoffs...) without his passer (Markov) on the PP. He didnt look that good? Yeah no kidding.

He can still help an nhl team at this point (one that have lots of depth mind you, playing him over 5-6 minutes of 5-5 play is a bad idea)

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote