HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

The Sky Is Officially Falling

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-21-2010, 08:41 PM
  #51
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,509
vCash: 500
Lehner on Connected:

"I was kind of freezing there in the first period."

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:41 PM
  #52
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,706
vCash: 500
I liked Hanson and Versteeg, both played a good game. Hanson has a pretty good combo of size and speed, not much skill, but his defensive game seems well rounded, good young bottom 6 player. Versteeg has a lot of skill, but we knew that.

I don't think Kadri is ready, he definitely has the skills and talent, but it looks like he had trouble adjusting to nhl speed. Let him dominate the AHL, he's really talented, let him take the proper route.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:41 PM
  #53
theneuf33
@TheDamager
 
theneuf33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 528
vCash: 500
i think our pp looked ok for not having practised it at all

theneuf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:41 PM
  #54
GrizzLeaf
Registered User
 
GrizzLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
Sens fan, come in peace...

What's up with Phaneuf? He didn't look like himself tonight. Missed the net alot. I was saying everytime he had the puck that he'd shoot and roof it. Kaberle looked out of place too. Monster looked decent too.

Best of luck this season
Good group of young you guys have there.

Best of luck to you too.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:41 PM
  #55
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
He's not even a real goalie, anyway..

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:41 PM
  #56
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,711
vCash: 500
Sky isn't falling anymore than it was 3 hours ago.... all this game showed us was that Ron Wilson still has no clue....it's really epitomized by RW's ridiculous decision to pair Kaberle & Lebda together (and Phaneuf-Gunnarsson) when he should be trying to develop chemistry. Go Phaneuf-Beauchemin as the top pair in one game, Kaberle-Komisarek as the top pair in the other.

Leafs looked absolutely lost out there, against an Ottawa team that was without any of their quality defencemen (Gonchar, Phillips, Kuba although injured), without any of their top forwards (Spezza, Alfredsson, Kovalev, Michalek, Fisher), and were shut out by a junior goaltender who realistically has little to no hope of actually making the team. That's downright embarassing for a team that supposedly would be more prepared than any other team because they've been practicing together for weeks.

Kadri, d'Amigo, Mueller all looked terrible and rather than giving Toronto reasons for each player to stay, it's now a bigger question of who's the lesser of the evils. The ONLY players that actually looked good were Christian Hanson and Colby Armstrong; the problem is that Armstrong didn't even look good in the are we needed him to. He looked like the quality 3rd line checker he should be.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:41 PM
  #57
hockeysense*
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,287
vCash: 500
On the second goal by the Sens, I thought that Phaneuf really held back from killing Foligno. Maybe he learned from last year's preseason hit of Kyle?

In any event, tonight's game allowed me to keep things in perspective. A season is not won and lost in the preseason.

hockeysense* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:41 PM
  #58
Volcanologist
Habitual User
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,327
vCash: 500
Rynnas kind of fell apart later on in his half of the game.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:42 PM
  #59
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna
 
James Duthie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
Sens fan, come in peace...

What's up with Phaneuf? He didn't look like himself tonight. Missed the net alot. I was saying everytime he had the puck that he'd shoot and roof it. Kaberle looked out of place too. Monster looked decent too.

Best of luck this season
He was allergic to the Sens

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:42 PM
  #60
Sypherr
Registered User
 
Sypherr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Everyone looked really slow imo, didn't look like anyone was putting in any extra effort.

Sypherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:42 PM
  #61
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna
 
James Duthie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Lehner on Connected:

"I was kind of freezing there in the first period."
Freezing?

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:42 PM
  #62
theneuf33
@TheDamager
 
theneuf33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I liked Hanson and Versteeg, both played a good game. Hanson has a pretty good combo of size and speed, not much skill, but his defensive game seems well rounded, good young bottom 6 player. Versteeg has a lot of skill, but we knew that.

I don't think Kadri is ready, he definitely has the skills and talent, but it looks like he had trouble adjusting to nhl speed. Let him dominate the AHL, he's really talented, let him take the proper route.
i agree i hope kadri is allowed to develop and hanson given a chance to prove himself

theneuf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:42 PM
  #63
NewFang
Registered User
 
NewFang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackm View Post
Oh. And Versteeg-Kadri-Armstrong has no visible chemistry.
That's because Kadri is like a boat anchor on that line. He's clearly not NHL ready.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:43 PM
  #64
hockeysense*
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Sky isn't falling anymore than it was 3 hours ago.... all this game showed us was that Ron Wilson still has no clue....it's really epitomized by RW's ridiculous decision to pair Kaberle & Lebda together (and Phaneuf-Gunnarsson) when he should be trying to develop chemistry. Go Phaneuf-Beauchemin as the top pair in one game, Kaberle-Komisarek as the top pair in the other.

Leafs looked absolutely lost out there, against an Ottawa team that was without any of their quality defencemen (Gonchar, Phillips, Kuba although injured), without any of their top forwards (Spezza, Alfredsson, Kovalev, Michalek, Fisher), and were shut out by a junior goaltender who realistically has little to no hope of actually making the team. That's downright embarassing for a team that supposedly would be more prepared than any other team because they've been practicing together for weeks.

Kadri, d'Amigo, Mueller all looked terrible and rather than giving Toronto reasons for each player to stay, it's now a bigger question of who's the lesser of the evils.
You know what sucks? Bank fees. Yea man. Bankkkkk fees. They charge students with ridiculous fees for having the audacity to go above their debit usage. Can you believe that crap? Bank fees. What a tripe.

hockeysense* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:43 PM
  #65
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 500
Hey who knows, maybe this year we'll have a crappy pre-season but a good regular season? Basically the opposite of last year.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:44 PM
  #66
TOG26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Okay, I didn't get to watch. Lucky me?

Anyway, did anyone look like they knew what they were doing?

How did any of the suspects play?

I don't really care about Kaberle, Phaneuf, Versteeg, Armstrong as they are NHL players.
Rookies looked like rookies. Did some good, but also looked out of place a lot. D'Amigo I think was the best out of Kadri, Mueller, Irwin and D'Amigo. But really didn't do a lot either. Kadri had a couple of nice cross crease passes that no one got sticks on, but then had a couple of bad passes. No one really did anything to impress though tonight. Gysbers didn't look very good either after the strong rookie tourney. Hanson played pretty well, and Brown had some good energy shifts.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:44 PM
  #67
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna
 
James Duthie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
That's because Kadri is like a boat anchor on that line. He's clearly not NHL ready.
He probably does need some seasoning in the A.. Grabovski is perfectally good being the 2nd line center.. He's our only NHL capable centermen anyways...

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:44 PM
  #68
The Velvet Hammer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: leafville
Country: Canada
Posts: 937
vCash: 500
well,

I was impressed by; Hanson, versteeg, slightly by kadri, brown, armstrong.

I was disappointed by; kaberle, phaneuf, Gunnarson, lebda, and a bunch of the other noobs.

The Velvet Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:45 PM
  #69
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna
 
James Duthie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Hey who knows, maybe this year we'll have a crappy pre-season but a good regular season? Basically the opposite of last year.
That's the theory im going with too

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:45 PM
  #70
ComrieFanatic
Registered User
 
ComrieFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
That's because Kadri is like a boat anchor on that line. He's clearly not NHL ready.
He looked amazing in the pre-season last year and he didn't make the team. I think most rational Leaf fans are going to give most of our players, especially Kadri, more than three periods of hockey before we declare them not NHL ready.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:45 PM
  #71
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhalloffame View Post
You know what sucks? Bank fees. Yea man. Bankkkkk fees. They charge students with ridiculous fees for having the audacity to go above their debit usage. Can you believe that crap? Bank fees. What a tripe.
Get a student account.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:45 PM
  #72
Quik
Agent 0091
 
Quik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theneuf33 View Post
i think our pp looked ok for not having practised it at all
I don't believe they've practiced it in the past 12 months! Bazinga!

lol

but no, I really don't take anything away from this game other than you can't take much from the game. It's 3 or 4 days into camp, half the guys have never played together before, can't really expect anything for a few more days considering we were 29th last year.

Anyone know who's in tomorrow? Anyone from tonight's game?

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:45 PM
  #73
leafsfan2
Registered User
 
leafsfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Markham,ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,568
vCash: 500
do u think maybe the intense practice/scrimmage result in the leafs looking slow. They just seemed slow

leafsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:45 PM
  #74
LakeshoreWest
Leafs in 7
 
LakeshoreWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theneuf33 View Post
i think our pp looked ok for not having practised it at all
I will respectfully disagree. The PP did not look good at all especially with consecutive 5-on-3s and very few shots on goal. Unacceptable in any hockey game of this level, regardless of the practice time.

What did you like about the PP tonight?

LakeshoreWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:45 PM
  #75
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers
 
dannyboy8920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,359
vCash: 500
John Mitchell hangs onto the puck way too long. we woulda won the game if it wasnt for him.

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.