HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs PP ranking by All Star break?

Old
09-21-2010, 10:27 PM
KingKovy

vCash: 500
Habs PP ranking by All Star break?

I don't always agree with Pierre Mcguire but he is right on saying the biggest question mark this season for the habs is can they repeat their PP stellar record this year.

I think we won't be as bad as we have been without our lefthanded right point shot because of the addition of Subban on second wave but we definitely will not be a top 5 as we have proven to be horrible without that key piece on the right point.. My prediction is we are between 18th and 23rd in the league until like every other year we realize we need a right point lefthanded booming precise quick shot and pick one up somewhere improving our PP at that point. The only reason why I don't see us in the bottom 5 is we have Spacek for that position (average but not horrible) and a better second wave.

What rank do you see our PP by the all star break and do you agree that without a top 5 PP we are in trouble as Mcguire is stating?

KingKovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:50 PM
KingKovy

Also here are my two PP units:

Eller (Pouliot)-Gomez-Gionta

Markov-Spacek

Kostsitsyn-Plekanec-Cammaleri

Subban-Hamrlick

Old
09-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Picard on the blue line could also be an option. And I like the Eller - Gomez - Gionta line because Eller will stay in front of the net while the others will make the play (and let gionta be a goal scorer and not a screener like last year).

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:30 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku_All_The_Way View Post
Picard on the blue line could also be an option. And I like the Eller - Gomez - Gionta line because Eller will stay in front of the net while the others will make the play (and let gionta be a goal scorer and not a screener like last year).
That's part of what makes him who he is. You can't tell him not to go to the areas that he's most successful in for no reason at all.

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 12:26 AM
Coach Brisebois*

Other years we had no shot from the left circle and always had to go right either through traffic or to the point.. with Markov-Subban and wingers who can shoot from both sides... we'll be setting up those goals from either side (both d can slip in to add a shot from the circle)

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 12:50 AM
McNuts

Our PP will do just fine. I'd say around #10 once Markov comes back. If our PK can maintain its domination we should get a pretty good special teams combo. Our weakness is not the PP, it's the 5vs5.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 01:26 AM
tchendoh

Send a message via ICQ to tchendoh Send a message via MSN to tchendoh Send a message via Yahoo to tchendoh
In the last years, they always relied so much on the one-timer that's not there anymore. I think they'll be between 10 and 15th.

tchendoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 01:43 AM
KingKovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Brisebois View Post
Other years we had no shot from the left circle and always had to go right either through traffic or to the point.. with Markov-Subban and wingers who can shoot from both sides... we'll be setting up those goals from either side (both d can slip in to add a shot from the circle)
We still don't have a one timer shot from the left circle..

Old
09-22-2010, 01:44 AM
KingKovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku_All_The_Way View Post
If Picard makes the lineup i put him ahead of spacek on 1st PP and put spacek with subban on 2nd unit

Old
09-22-2010, 01:50 AM
guest1467

I see no reason why it wouldn't be in the top 10 at least.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 01:52 AM
KingKovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Our PP will do just fine. I'd say around #10 once Markov comes back. If our PK can maintain its domination we should get a pretty good special teams combo. Our weakness is not the PP, it's the 5vs5.
Our identity (when we have been successful) has been to draw penalties based on our speed and punish the opponent with a dominant PP.. Without that, we are a barely average team with great team spirit and leadership but no tools to punish opponents.. If we want Cammy to keep on scoring like a machine we need to leave the opposition guessing by having an equally threatening option at the point.. it will be easy to just cover Cammy.. Without a top 5 PP we are a 11th to 8th pla e in the east team and with that top 5 PP, the addition of subban and eller we can be a 8th to 5th place team in the east and more if we avoid injuries like the year we finished first

Old
09-22-2010, 01:54 AM
KingKovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I see no reason why it wouldn't be in the top 10 at least.
so how do you explain the fact it has always been in the bottom 10 without the booming right point lefthanded shot? i guess a miracle will happen

Old
09-22-2010, 01:54 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Every year people assume we lost our key PP player (Souray, Streit, Bergeron) and every year, the PP does exceptionally well.

Markov is the most important part of the PP. He'll make it work. (along with our big little three).

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 02:00 AM
KingKovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Every year people assume we lost our key PP player (Souray, Streit, Bergeron) and every year, the PP does exceptionally well.

Markov is the most important part of the PP. He'll make it work. (along with our big little three).
you are right except for the fact we ALWAYS do bad without the lefthanded shot on the right point..

Souray Top 2

Streit Top 2

tried Markov on the right = disaster

tried Markov on the left with anyone else on the right= disaster

Schneider top 2

before Bergeron last year= disaster

Bergeron top 2

How much more evidence do we need? are we really that stupid? we have THE BEST formula in the league for the past 6 years but choose not to use it!!

We have to pray that Spacek remembers how to shoot or that Picard becomes the wild card.. without that we are doomed

Old
09-22-2010, 02:22 AM
CuteHockeyBunny

Btw, P.K. doesn't have a booming NHL shot or anything close to it.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 02:35 AM
KingKovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
Btw, P.K. doesn't have a booming NHL shot or anything close to it.
he does have a fantastic shot but he is a righty

Old
09-22-2010, 03:56 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKovy View Post
Our identity (when we have been successful) has been to draw penalties based on our speed and punish the opponent with a dominant PP.. Without that, we are a barely average team with great team spirit and leadership but no tools to punish opponents.. If we want Cammy to keep on scoring like a machine we need to leave the opposition guessing by having an equally threatening option at the point.. it will be easy to just cover Cammy.. Without a top 5 PP we are a 11th to 8th pla e in the east team and with that top 5 PP, the addition of subban and eller we can be a 8th to 5th place team in the east and more if we avoid injuries like the year we finished first
Never asked yourself why he ALWAYS (almost) shot from the same spot on the PP I guess...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 05:28 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Cammalleri-Plekanec-AKost
Markov-Subban

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Halpern-Spacek

Looks pretty good, don't see why we can't be Top 10 or even 5 like usual. We have the most kick-ass PP tandem in Markov-Subban

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 05:49 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKovy View Post
you are right except for the fact we ALWAYS do bad without the lefthanded shot on the right point..

Souray Top 2

Streit Top 2

tried Markov on the right = disaster

tried Markov on the left with anyone else on the right= disaster

Schneider top 2

before Bergeron last year= disaster

Bergeron top 2

How much more evidence do we need? are we really that stupid? we have THE BEST formula in the league for the past 6 years but choose not to use it!!

We have to pray that Spacek remembers how to shoot or that Picard becomes the wild card.. without that we are doomed
I'm not sure what has REALLY made the powerplay go in recent years - Markov or a right point shot. I conjecture the answer is both. Believe it or not the PP ranking right before Markov came back last year was 10th. That point shot means a lot too.

Markov has trouble making the powerplay work without that point shot from someone else. And Markov's always had trouble making it work in the playoffs with or without a point shot.

Markov essentially has three plays - cross ice pass to the point, cross seam pass and the back door.

I wish he'd become more of a threat with his own point shot but seems to refuse to.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 05:49 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Definitely, I see our 3rd line might improve this season and it will help a bit in 5vs5.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:00 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
As long as Markov is there it will be good.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:23 AM
neofury*

I think people are reading into the #'s a little too much.

Back then we needed that booming shot because our overall team wasn't as good. Post what our top 2 PP units were those years that it failed and succeeded when compared with now.

To be quite frank there really is no comparison. Back then we didn't have the skill set we have now and even the players who did were either inconsistent (Kovalev, love him but it's true) or injured quite often (Koivu).

How can you possibly say it's 100% because of that shot from the point when they didn't have a fully developed Plekanec, Cammelleri, Gionta, Gomez, and Andrei was still very young and raw too. No Pouliot nothing, we have Koivu and Kovalev then Markov.

I'm not trying to degrade the other players we have but were any of them 40g guys like Cammalleri? Were any of them one of the best playmakers in the NHL like Gomez? Did we have Subban?

I mean quite frankly I find it laughable because the people using the stats to justify their argument feel that the people who think otherwise are wearing tin foil hats, meanwhile it's laughable that you would compare apples and oranges because they were simply different teams under different coaching staffs.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Bullsmith

We should be top ten, barring major injuries and assuming Markov comes back early in the season. No question between Markov, Subban, Pleks, Cammy, Gio and Gomez we have the players to be good on the PP.

Our weaknesses on the PP are that we have only one even remotely offensive RH forward on the team and, as we discovered so brutally last year, none of the D other than Subban are useful on the right side on the PP. One of the reasons MAB made such an impact was that the other guys who'd been playing that role were just plain terrible. Also AK has generally been awful on the PP, so I hope someone else gets a real shot at regular time instead.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:51 AM
znk

One billion percent.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:05 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Our PP begins and ends with Markov. It sucked last year when he was out and shot back to top 5 when he was back for a bit. If he had played against the Flyers we would not have been shut out 3 times, and if he doesn't miss a lot of time this year we easily have a top 5 PP again.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote