HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brendan Gallagher

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-21-2010, 11:53 PM
  #1
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,586
vCash: 500
Brendan Gallagher

Real good read on Gallagher.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ga...785/story.html

Quote:
Gallagher [5-foot-8, 169 pounds] maintains that Gomez [5-foot-11, 202 pounds] and Cammalleri [5-foot-9, 182 pounds] are both “much taller.” He insists that Gionta [5-foot-7, 173 pounds] is a “little taller,” even if the stats put forward by the Canadians and Giants don’t bear that out.

“We are pretty similar in size,” said Gallagher.

“In my exit meetings, that was one of the things they talked about – learning from Gionta.”
Quote:
The team also wanted him to pay extra attention to Gomez, too, apparently. Canadiens director of player development Trevor Timmins had Gomez, 30, take Gallagher for a walk to go over some of the problems he had going through the ranks as a smaller player

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 12:12 AM
  #2
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,937
vCash: 500
I love how this team is filled with leaders wanting to help out the younger guys improve.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 12:13 AM
  #3
Shutdown
Registered User
 
Shutdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhldraftvideo View Post
Good stuff!

Shutdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:57 AM
  #4
Stubbs88
Registered User
 
Stubbs88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I love how this team is filled with leaders wanting to help out the younger guys improve.
Same here! Can never have enough guys that are willing to take young kids under their wings and teach them a thing or two.

Stubbs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:00 AM
  #5
Sebaldian
Registered User
 
Sebaldian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,130
vCash: 500
Anyone know how tall he is and how much he weighs? I haven't been able to find that information anywhere.

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:15 AM
  #6
ScopeHockey
Registered User
 
ScopeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
The guy has too much courage and skill to not wear a Habs jersey one day.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 12:36 PM
  #7
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
Anyone know how tall he is and how much he weighs? I haven't been able to find that information anywhere.
5'8 169


Last edited by montreal: 09-22-2010 at 12:46 PM.
montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 12:44 PM
  #8
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Can't wait to go and watch this kid this weekend.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 01:55 PM
  #9
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Brendan Gallagher

has anyone seen him play live in a WHL game ?

great stats ...wondering if ge has the tenacity of a small player like Fleury or Gionta

any feedback on his skill ...hands ...skating would be appreciated

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 01:57 PM
  #10
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
No offense to him, because it's not his fault, but at his size people need to learn to assume he's going to be a really good AHLer until he absolutely forces the hand of the team to prove otherwise.

For every Gionta there are 20 Corey Lockes and David Desharnias.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 02:00 PM
  #11
clarke19
Registered User
 
clarke19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 782
vCash: 500
IIRC speed is the only thing keeping Desharnais out of the NHL, it seems to be the only reason people don't want to call him up.

Gio, Fleury, St.Louis, Samsonov, they all have speed and made the NHL despite their size, so if Gallagher can develop his game and has effective speed I don't think it is such a long shot.

I've never seen him play, though.

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 02:01 PM
  #12
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy
 
ChuckyToGally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
No offense to him, because it's not his fault, but at his size people need to learn to assume he's going to be a really good AHLer until he absolutely forces the hand of the team to prove otherwise.

For every Gionta there are 20 Corey Lockes and David Desharnias.
It's really unfair to compare Locke and Desharnais... but I get your point.

Unlike Locke, we can at least say that Gallagher has what it takes to get to the next level when it comes to the attitute and character. However, like you said, there are no guarantee.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 02:05 PM
  #13
Habsland35
Registered User
 
Habsland35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 534
vCash: 500
from what ive heard...speed isnt his biggest asset...

nevertheless... i was pretty excited when montreal drafted this guy...not afraid to go in the dirty areas to score goals ...its a long shot but the way hes playing i dont see why he can eventually make it to the nhl level especially if he can improve his speed...

was DD putting up these kinds of numbers at 19 years old? anyone know?

Habsland35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 02:07 PM
  #14
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Roy View Post
It's really unfair to compare Locke and Desharnais... but I get your point.

Unlike Locke, we can at least say that Gallagher has what it takes to get to the next level when it comes to the attitute and character. However, like you said, there are no guarantee.
Yeah, not saying he's the same player, but guys of his size make the NHL if everything goes right. Guys like Pouliot - as a random example - only miss the NHL if they do everything wrong.

Sucks for them, but such is the plight of being a tiny person


Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsland35 View Post
from what ive heard...speed isnt his biggest asset...

nevertheless... i was pretty excited when montreal drafted this guy...not afraid to go in the dirty areas to score goals ...its a long shot but the way hes playing i dont see why he can eventually make it to the nhl level especially if he can improve his speed...

was DD putting up these kinds of numbers at 19 years old? anyone know?
In the year after his draft year, Desharnias scored 118 points in 63 games.

However, the QMJHL, especially the Q of 2006, cannot be compared to the WHL. Gallagher's numbers are way more impressive, to me. The Q is a much more freeflowing league.

Desharnais finished 5th in scoring that year, behind such luminaries as Olivier Latendresse, Maxime Boisclair, Stanislav Lacek and Radulov.

In fact, a sad Q stat, of the top ten scorers that year only four of 10 ever played an NHL game. Radulov, Brassard and Dupuis, plus the one Desharnais snuck in last year.


Last edited by Lucius: 12-10-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 02:10 PM
  #15
shamrun
Registered User
 
shamrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
has anyone seen him play live in a WHL game ?

great stats ...wondering if ge has the tenacity of a small player like Fleury or Gionta

any feedback on his skill ...hands ...skating would be appreciated
i have seen him live, the first game of the season for the giants. He was used in all situations and id say he is more tenacious on the offensive side. I have heard comparaisons to Gionta and id have to say they were not far off. But i just saw one game.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 02:11 PM
  #16
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,868
vCash: 500
I guess I saw him last year but didn't pay attention. This year saw the Subway game he played, but maybe he wasn't 100% for that or was tired? In any event, I would have said from just that one game that he wasn't really an NHL prospect. But that's one game, and I am going to assume that it wasn't representative, because he has much better reports from camp and Team Canada wanted him in the selection camp for the WJC, etc. His speed and tenacity weren't at all evident in the game I saw, he just looked small and mostly ineffective. But anyway, one has to presume he's got another junior year and at least 3 in the minors after this one, so that's like 5 years away, and that's a lot of time for him to get faster. By all accounts he battles hard enough.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 02:41 PM
  #17
Mag1328
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
His skating is definitely the issue. He'll have to improve it in order to crack an NHL lineup.
He's got a great nose for the net, though.

Mag1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 02:42 PM
  #18
Dwight
The French Tickler
 
Dwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,836
vCash: 500
This guy on another forum I frequent is pretty savvy about prospects. This is what he said about him.

Quote:
you don't really notice how small he (Gallagher) is, I don't think... and he's not even really all that small... he'll probably end up about the same size as Stajan. But yeah, pretty gritty. He's unreal one-on-one, he takes one step to the side and he's around some defensemen. and his shot is insane quick and accurate.
About the Stajan comment, he's unfortunately a Leafs fan :p

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 03:47 PM
  #19
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarke19 View Post
IIRC speed is the only thing keeping Desharnais out of the NHL, it seems to be the only reason people don't want to call him up.

Gio, Fleury, St.Louis, Samsonov, they all have speed and made the NHL despite their size, so if Gallagher can develop his game and has effective speed I don't think it is such a long shot.

I've never seen him play, though.
Another BIG reason not to call up DD...our team is 4 points out of 1st overall(with 2 games in hand) with the current group.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 03:52 PM
  #20
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Roy View Post
It's really unfair to compare Locke and Desharnais... but I get your point.

Unlike Locke, we can at least say that Gallagher has what it takes to get to the next level when it comes to the attitute and character. However, like you said, there are no guarantee.
Where did you get this idea that Corey Locke has a bad attitude and character?

I can tell one one thing. You do not play for Brian Kilrea for 3 years if you have no character or a bad attitude.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 03:52 PM
  #21
alexstream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarke19 View Post
IIRC speed is the only thing keeping Desharnais out of the NHL, it seems to be the only reason people don't want to call him up.

Gio, Fleury, St.Louis, Samsonov, they all have speed and made the NHL despite their size, so if Gallagher can develop his game and has effective speed I don't think it is such a long shot.

I've never seen him play, though.
so true... I mean, when we think small, we automatically think speedy.

small and speedy come together.

who's that small & speedy forward? it's gionta, it's samsonov, it's petrov, it's Marty St-Louis, etc.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 05:14 PM
  #22
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Where did you get this idea that Corey Locke has a bad attitude and character?

I can tell one one thing. You do not play for Brian Kilrea for 3 years if you have no character or a bad attitude.
Don Lever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
This guy on another forum I frequent is pretty savvy about prospects. This is what he said about him.



About the Stajan comment, he's unfortunately a Leafs fan :p
I only saw him once, but you certainly notice that he's small out there.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 08:24 AM
  #23
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,596
vCash: 500
Brendan Gallagher Fights



Hohoho better than Laraque

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 09:01 AM
  #24
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby
 
RoyBoyCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lennoxville, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,090
vCash: 500
Yeah he's had a couple fights! And he's a tough costumer

Also, I thought this was a thread about Stephen Gionta

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 09:09 AM
  #25
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Too bad he will never play for the Habs. He's too tough for JM. He prefers guys like Moen, who are scared of their shadow.


Last edited by PunkinDrublic*: 12-18-2010 at 09:16 AM.
PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.