HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

All Things MSG Network and TV (FiOS, Dish, HD, etc.)

Old
10-07-2010, 03:50 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
DTV has 1080p On-Demand style streaming for certain movies, but no regular programming is broadcast in that resolution.

Good point regarding the TV size as well. 1080p is relatively useless on smaller TVs (sub 40"), unless you're within 4 feet of the screen.
i've got a 112" tv running on 720p and i wouldn't trade it for any 60" tv displaying 1080p. i guess everyone's idea of "smaller" is relative. lol

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:37 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Uh, DTV is 1080i. And considering I have both FiOS at my house and DTV for my grandmother, I can compare both. FiOS HD is much better overall quality.

Simple physics would show that there is more potential for loss through satellite feeds than through direct line feeds like FiOS. Considering the lack of crowding on the FiOS bandwidth, this really shows why FiOS shines over the other major services.
Thanks for saving my time. I was about to just post something very similar.

hpNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 05:34 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

The problem with that reasoning is that:

a.) up to 32 people can share your "line"
b.) which, in turn, makes your bandwidth/data variable depending on # of users and usage
c.) the longer the fibre, the worse the bandwidth
c.) Verizon can cut corners, just like Cablevision did, at any time and cut the quality and bandwidth of the HD feed, your internet feed, or both
d.) from what I've read online, through a bunch of forums and responses, is that people are generally happier with Direct TV and Fios SD and HD feeds than Dish, Comcast, over the air, etc... Some say Fios is better. Some say Direct TV is better.

All of this because I said Direct TV and Fios are roughly equal in quality. They are.

"I don't know much about the technical stuff, but I just switched from DirecTV to FiOS last month. Honestly, I don't notice much of a difference on my 50" plasma. I was a bit disappointed because I expected things to look better. For example, a couple shows on CBS (like CSI and Flashpoint) always had a lot of compression/macroblocking. I assumed this was a DirecTV thing and it would look better on FiOS, but it looks exactly the same. Must be my local provider since others have reported those shows look great on their systems.

Quality aside, the DVR for FiOS sucks and is much worse than DVRs I was using 10 years ago from Tivo and later, Comcast and DirecTV. I'm waiting patiently for the 1.9 update before I invest in a Tivo.

I mostly switched for cost (DirecTV plus Comcast internet was too expensive) and I didn't like the dish on my roof. I'm kindof wishing I'd have just kept DirecTV and got the Verizon bundle with it. But that's ok. I can deal with it for now." - AVSFORUM

"FiOS butchers the picture by chopping of the sides and then down converting it to an SD format.

I looked at the SD FOX channel this morning and they were butchering the picture. It would be even worse if trying to watch a football game on the SD channel." - AVSFORUM

But, if we get back to some of the question(s) asked at the beginning of this thread, for Rangers fans:

MSG isn't available in HD on FiOS
Center Ice has the most HD games on Direct TV
Cablevision and Time Warner are probably the worst in the metro area

Therefore, Direct TV is probably the best option for Rangers fans. That's all I'm getting at here and really didn't want to debate the signal strength of satellites, Jonathon's grandma, the merits of 1080i/720p/1080p/480i/867-5309/etc...

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 08:06 AM
patnyrnyg

I have Time Warner. I live in a co-op, no satellite dishes allowed. Not sure if anyone in my building has switched to Fios, but if and when they ever get MSG-HD I will consider it. For now, I am fine with Time Warner. I have a 62" in the living room and a 42" in the bedroom and both look great, to me.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:02 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
The problem with that reasoning is that:

a.) up to 32 people can share your "line"
b.) which, in turn, makes your bandwidth/data variable depending on # of users and usage
c.) the longer the fibre, the worse the bandwidth
c.) Verizon can cut corners, just like Cablevision did, at any time and cut the quality and bandwidth of the HD feed, your internet feed, or both
d.) from what I've read online, through a bunch of forums and responses, is that people are generally happier with Direct TV and Fios SD and HD feeds than Dish, Comcast, over the air, etc... Some say Fios is better. Some say Direct TV is better.

Therefore, Direct TV is probably the best option for Rangers fans. That's all I'm getting at here and really didn't want to debate the signal strength of satellites, Jonathon's grandma, the merits of 1080i/720p/1080p/480i/867-5309/etc...
And DirectTV can similarly squeeze more channel onto the same satellite transponders...basically the same game.

Old
10-08-2010, 12:07 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
I have Time Warner. I live in a co-op, no satellite dishes allowed. Not sure if anyone in my building has switched to Fios, but if and when they ever get MSG-HD I will consider it. For now, I am fine with Time Warner. I have a 62" in the living room and a 42" in the bedroom and both look great, to me.
For the record, Federal law prevents your co-op from preventing you from having a satellite dish. Your co-op board can, however, restrict you to installing it only on an area that is under your exclusive control (i.e. balcony) and prevent you from installing in on the facade/roof of the building. This alone is usually enough to kill your hopes of getting one, but if you happen to have a southern exposure you might be in luck.

Old
10-08-2010, 12:14 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
i've got a 112" tv running on 720p and i wouldn't trade it for any 60" tv displaying 1080p. i guess everyone's idea of "smaller" is relative. lol
good lord...thats a large screen

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Kind of Blue

So this is really happening, I'm going to miss the season opener. I assumed MSG and Dish would reach an agreement by tomorrow, but it doesn't look like it. Now I really have to go through the trouble of switching from Dish. Ugh.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:27 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
good lord...thats a large screen
Yeah, it's hard to watch Sports/TV/Blu Ray anywhere else. Fortunately my cousin has one too so I can enjoy watching at his place as well. And the technology isn't really expensive anymore...a grand gets you a great projector these days.

Old
10-08-2010, 12:37 PM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Yeah, it's hard to watch Sports/TV/Blu Ray anywhere else. Fortunately my cousin has one too so I can enjoy watching at his place as well. And the technology isn't really expensive anymore...a grand gets you a great projector these days.
Thanks for the help everyone. Also, I have a projector and it is simply amazing. If you have the proper room/area for it, I would highly recommend it.

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:01 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
And DirectTV can similarly squeeze more channel onto the same satellite transponders...basically the same game.
Yeah, but, again, FiOS doesn't have MSG, MSG+, MSG 2 HD and doesn't have as many Center Ice HD games. Everything else is roughly equal and for the hockey and/or Rangers fan, I don't see what advantage FiOS has over DirectTV. I do see the opposite.

Old
10-08-2010, 01:08 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Yeah, but, again, FiOS doesn't have MSG, MSG+, MSG 2 HD and doesn't have as many Center Ice HD games. Everything else is roughly equal and for the hockey and/or Rangers fan, I don't see what advantage FiOS has over DirectTV. I do see the opposite.
I have to agree with you there. I would likely switch to Fios (from TWC) if they offered MSG-HD...but they don't, so I can't.

Old
10-08-2010, 01:09 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Speaking of Cablevision. Has anyone who has Optimum Online noticed their bandwidth hitting the crapper in the evening?

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:31 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Speaking of Cablevision. Has anyone who has Optimum Online noticed their bandwidth hitting the crapper in the evening?
That's exactly the kind of crap that made me switch - particularly when subscribing to premium services and not receiving them.

Old
10-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Everyone and their mother has that happen to them on Optimum. Their internet is garbage once more than one or two people are using it.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Yep. That was constantly happening to me. I called their customer support numerous times and of course they played dumb and pretended like it wasn't a known issue in my area (it is). After a few visits and plenty of time wasting, one of their techs installed a different model modem, which wasn't supposed to be available yet (or so he said). That fixed the problem.

It's just one of the many reasons that I'm done with Cablevision as soon as FIOS gets MSGHD. Can't stand to put any more money in Dolan's little pockets than I have to.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20014536-266.html

hopefully cable and dolan will start having to sell msg hd to other networks since there losing so many conference calls

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 05:16 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Never had any issue with Optimum Online when I had it, just the issues with iO (audio cut outs, channel blackouts, etc)...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 06:14 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
http://www.lightreading.com/document...treading_gnews

heres another ongoing cablevision v. verizon battle , this one is interesting on a few levels if your interested in patent/copyright law

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

will msghd be blacked out again for DirecTV users?

last year MSGHD games were all blacked out for us..anyone know if itll be the same this year? preseason doesnt matter, last year all the preseason games were in HD, and then come regular season, wham, blacked out.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 02:34 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
I think they already announced Direct TV will be without all MSG networks this year.

10-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I think they already announced Direct TV will be without all MSG networks this year.
link?

Old
10-09-2010, 02:37 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
link?
I don't have a link, I heard it on the radio. Although I cant remember the details, I wasn't paying close attention. Anyone else know more about it?

BlueShirts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 02:39 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dis...ght-2010-10-01

Don't know if this is the same as Direct TV

BlueShirts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i have to DVR the game, so i gotta figure out where exactly to watch it before i DVR it lol...