HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Video Game Talk (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Hoogaar23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Playing an emulated version is nothing like playing the original, on the proper console, with the proper controller. I've played emulated versions of Earthbound, and enjoyed it, but I still fire up my original copy once every few years and give it a run.
Why? You can get a USB NES/SNES controller (or just and adapter), and play it like that - what's the difference if it's emulated or if it's actually on the SNES? I can understand the controller, but whether the images and sounds are being sent to your TV from the snes or your PC I can't understand why it would make a difference.

As for the games themselves - never played Earthbound, but Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games of all time. This was before I ever even got on the internet, so I had never heard of the game. Just rented it at the video store - didn't bring it back for like a month. And then bought it after. I should fire that up and try it again to see how bad it looks now.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Why? You can get a USB NES/SNES controller (or just and adapter), and play it like that - what's the difference if it's emulated or if it's actually on the SNES? I can understand the controller, but whether the images and sounds are being sent to your TV from the snes or your PC I can't understand why it would make a difference.

As for the games themselves - never played Earthbound, but Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games of all time. This was before I ever even got on the internet, so I had never heard of the game. Just rented it at the video store - didn't bring it back for like a month. And then bought it after. I should fire that up and try it again to see how bad it looks now.
It still holds up.
Unless you are a 13 year old that values graphics > gameplay.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Perfect_Drug

Haha VP Joe Biden is meeting with video game executives about violent videogames and gun control.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...n_2458161.html

What's next?

Meeting with the Hot Wheels people about car safety??

Old
01-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Perfect_Drug

Anyways if you guys like JRPGs check out a game called Ni No Kuni out this week for PS3
Animations are by Studio Ghibli (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke).

Reviews from japan give it straight 10/10

http://youtu.be/j0f8IJpXOFI

Old
01-11-2013, 06:24 PM
flarwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Anyways if you guys like JRPGs check out a game called Ni No Kuni out this week for PS3

WOW that makes me want a PS3 pretty bad. Looks amazing.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:49 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
It still holds up.
Unless you are a 13 year old that values graphics > gameplay.
Nah. But I do remember when Pitfall came out on the Xbox or Playstation. And you could go into retro mode or classic or whatever it was called - I was so pumped for that. I played it for 5 minutes and was like - I'm sure this game was better than this.

Kinda like how I got my wife to watch Red Dawn (original) and Big Trouble in Little China - cause these were 2 of the best movies in history. Though I still remember the feeling watching them way back when, they didn't really stand the test of time (Golden Child too)

Old
01-12-2013, 01:13 AM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post

It's supposedly really old school. Keep hearing/reading about how it's basically a current generation SNES RPG. In line with the direction the thread ended up going, an import review a while back compared it to Earthbound, FF6 and Chrono Trigger.

I'll have to pick it up even though I won't have any time to play it, because it'll end up getting two shipments max.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:21 AM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Nah. But I do remember when Pitfall came out on the Xbox or Playstation. And you could go into retro mode or classic or whatever it was called - I was so pumped for that. I played it for 5 minutes and was like - I'm sure this game was better than this.

Kinda like how I got my wife to watch Red Dawn (original) and Big Trouble in Little China - cause these were 2 of the best movies in history. Though I still remember the feeling watching them way back when, they didn't really stand the test of time (Golden Child too)
RPG's are a different genre though, they hold up better then most since they are generally story driven. Most of the Final Fantasy games with good graphics I would never play more then once. Hell the only RPG that really has replayability because of just how deep the story is, and to be honest how much the little side stories that are optional to read will break your heart from time to time, is Lost Odyssey. I think I cried like 5 times playing that game. And it was never one of the direct from the main storyline parts. Not saying the main storyline is bad, because it's not. But a lot of the side stories are insanely compelling.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:30 AM
joestevens29

Finally picked up NHL 13 over x-mas and finally played a bit the last few nights.

Sure is different with the skating, but my god is trading weird now.

TB didn't want St.Louis and offered him and a 3rd for Rajals, Tyvrannien and a 4th. I had no room for St.Louis, but figured I have to take it and would flip him.

You think I could get one of Stoll, Greene, or and other top 4 d-man under 30? Not a chance. In the end I got Lubo and a 3rd.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:58 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

JRPGs would be better if most of them had a New Game +
Like Chrono Trigger and FF4 for DS.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:10 PM
backhandsauce

Anyone know if Schultz and Yakupov have been added to the Oilers roster with better ratings?

Old
01-16-2013, 12:25 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Anyone know if Schultz and Yakupov have been added to the Oilers roster with better ratings?
Just like every other year, new players won't be added/adjusted until they play a game in the NHL.

01-16-2013, 02:03 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Anyone pick up DmC? Heard the PS3 version has problems so I'll probably wait for a price drop.

Also, Ni no Kuni reviews showing up..

Old
01-16-2013, 02:08 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 3007
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Just like every other year, new players won't be added/adjusted until they play a game in the NHL.
I thought they had to play 9 or so games for the NHLPA licencing agreement to cover them.

01-16-2013, 02:14 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
I thought they had to play 9 or so games for the NHLPA licencing agreement to cover them.
Maybe they changed it. I remember Todd Marchant was in NHL94 (or was it 95) even though he was a rookie, but he'd played 4 games the year before.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:26 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

Schultz is in, Yak isn't

Old
01-16-2013, 02:31 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

Schultz is in GM mode in the AHL and Yak is usually in GM mode as well as a prospect. Otherwise they'll be in the roster update after their first few games.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:33 AM
ObviouslyConnor
Rookie User

OT: NHL 13 Trade Help

I'm new to the boards, so hopefully these kinds of threads are allowed. I was looking through, and noticed that not a lot of places have a trade help thread for NHL 13, so I figured if you had made a trade, put it here so we can see.

I for one, have never been able to make a successful trade in this game. I have my Oilers GM mode, and my team has been severely underscoring. Horcoff just had a breakout game last game scoring 4 goals.

Anyways, I want to make some trades.

My trade block: Whitney, Hemsky, Smyth

I'd even be willing to give up Gagner because he has been non-existent.

What are some realistic trades that would work to make me better?

Thanks dudes

Old
02-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Fiddie

This would probably go better in this forum:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Or these guys might be able to help you out:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1331767

Old
02-06-2013, 04:24 PM
joestevens29

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/right...195138005.html

So looking like no more borrowing games or trading in used games.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/right...195138005.html

So looking like no more borrowing games or trading in used games.
I just read it. I don't think they realize how much money they take out of their pockets by doing this. I bought ME1 used for 25 bucks to give the series a shot and ending up buying ME2 and 3 for full price (even got the CE) because I ended up enjoying it so much.

I bought Far Cry 3 by trading in some old games and getting it only for 30 bucks. They will cut into their own sales by doing this. What morons.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:40 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Yeah, I'm definitely not a fan.

You nailed it, Eytinge. Getting people interested in a series is going to be pretty tough without cheaper used games or even rentals.

I assume there's going to be an increase in free downloadable trials, but it's not the same.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:42 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
I just read it. I don't think they realize how much money they take out of their pockets by doing this. I bought ME1 used for 25 bucks to give the series a shot and ending up buying ME2 and 3 for full price (even got the CE) because I ended up enjoying it so much.

I bought Far Cry 3 by trading in some old games and getting it only for 30 bucks. They will cut into their own sales by doing this. What morons.
I don't know if it will really cut their sales that much. It's going to start hurting the guys that sell used games as a good chunk of their revenue though.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:44 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post

The only plus side I can see to this is you are probably going to see price drops on games faster. Although, this is probably putting Gamestop/EB Games out of business because their profit is based off of used games. Managers get fired in that company if they don't meet the quota of used games sold per month.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:06 PM
oilers1084

Just to let everyone know, don't buy War Z. That game is a big pile of crap, and I wish I knew how I could get a refund on it.

Closed Thread