HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Video Game Talk (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 06:19 PM
#ualberta

vCash: 500
Its a tough one because i love buying and selling used games and they're killing that.

But ultimately its better not to have discs, its more convenient to buy games directly from ur system (see netflix killing blockbuster) and people won't have to worry about damaging them or losing them and we will never have to take out a game to put in a new one because all your games will always be there ready to play. Also game developers and publishers will be able to adjust prices more easily so we could see the price of a game drop once its three months old but when games were in stores it was difficult for game makers to have all stores lower prices. I think its the kind of thing that seems bad now but in a few years we will get used to it, and likely prefer it over the old way of cd's.

Lately i play call of duty almost exclusively.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:22 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

I wonder if this asinine decision by Microsoft also means there will be no backwards compatibility with 360 games?

Old
02-06-2013, 06:26 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/right...195138005.html

So looking like no more borrowing games or trading in used games.
What a joke, makes me not even want to buy the 720.

Tired of this ********. Why are you allowed to re-sell CD's, movies, furniture, cars etc etc etc but videos games should be different?

How about instead of putting all these restrictions on your products you actually make games good enough that people will want to buy and keep them?

For example... Max Payne 3 was a pretty cool game, really enjoyed it but I beat the entire game in 12 hours.

It costed $60.00, has zero replay value and I literally beat it in half a day.

So according to Microsoft I shouldn't be allowed to give the game to a friend or trade it in to buy something else? I have to keep a disc I'll never use again?

PC gaming will always be my preference.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:29 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Its a tough one because i love buying and selling used games and they're killing that.

But ultimately its better not to have discs, its more convenient to buy games directly from ur system (see netflix killing blockbuster) and people won't have to worry about damaging them or losing them and we will never have to take out a game to put in a new one because all your games will always be there ready to play. Also game developers and publishers will be able to adjust prices more easily so we could see the price of a game drop once its three months old but when games were in stores it was difficult for game makers to have all stores lower prices. I think its the kind of thing that seems bad now but in a few years we will get used to it, and likely prefer it over the old way of cd's.

And if they set up a system that's like Steam, with a strong mix of AAA games, mid level games and indie titles and constant sales they could really bolster sales. Whenever Steam has their annual sales I always purchase at least a couple of games. The last one I bought Skyrim and all the DLC, Oblivion, World of Goo, Mirrors Edge and Left 4 Dead 2. All together it cost me less then $75.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:31 PM
#ualberta

I've been keeping up with news regarding the next gen consoles

This is not just a Microsoft thing the next gen playstation will also not use discs and based on rumors that means not backwards compatibility with ps3 or Xbox 360

Old
02-06-2013, 06:37 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
And if they set up a system that's like Steam, with a strong mix of AAA games, mid level games and indie titles and constant sales they could really bolster sales. Whenever Steam has their annual sales I always purchase at least a couple of games. The last one I bought Skyrim and all the DLC, Oblivion, World of Goo, Mirrors Edge and Left 4 Dead 2. All together it cost me less then $75.
But why can't Microsoft do this without the need to constantly be connected to the internet?

Old
02-06-2013, 07:08 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post

That would/is going to suck for people like me.

I pretty much live in the middle of nowhere, so I have horrible internet.

A big game like Skyrim would probably take me over a week to download.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:07 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
But why can't Microsoft do this without the need to constantly be connected to the internet?
I have a feeling this might just kind of be a put it out there and see what the feel is kind of rumor before they actually implement it. Would seem pretty dumb that if you had an internet outage for whatever reason you couldn't play a single player game.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:47 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Exactly people are all worried about this change while this exact model has worked well on pc for awhile now steam has more users then xbox and playstation right now.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:58 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
That would/is going to suck for people like me.

I pretty much live in the middle of nowhere, so I have horrible internet.

A big game like Skyrim would probably take me over a week to download.
Yeah i see how that would be an issue. We really have to wait for sony/microsoft to unveil their new consoles and explain exactly how this will work.

Another issue is that like you said games are huge and if someone buys alot of games they'll quickly run out of memory on games alone these systems are supposed to also hold our movies, songs, pictures, etc. so i don't know exactly how they will make this work but i bet they planned this out because this is important to them this new system will create more money for console makers as well as game developers by removing the middle man.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Eytinge

What about bandwidth caps? Most of us would prefer to play our single player games offline just to be safe.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:12 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
What a joke, makes me not even want to buy the 720.

Tired of this ********. Why are you allowed to re-sell CD's, movies, furniture, cars etc etc etc but videos games should be different?

How about instead of putting all these restrictions on your products you actually make games good enough that people will want to buy and keep them?

For example... Max Payne 3 was a pretty cool game, really enjoyed it but I beat the entire game in 12 hours.

It costed $60.00, has zero replay value and I literally beat it in half a day.

So according to Microsoft I shouldn't be allowed to give the game to a friend or trade it in to buy something else? I have to keep a disc I'll never use again?

PC gaming will always be my preference.
This is just one change and i also am not a big fan of it right now. But the next gen of consoles is bringing so much more. It sounds almost certain that we will see 8 GB of ram in both new consoles the current xbox and ps3 have a crappy half a GB of ram along with new CPU'S and GPU's we will be getting some much nicer games and console experiances.

It was my understanding that most PC users now use a service like steam to download their games, this model steam uses will be nearly identicle to what these new systems are bringing.

Lately PC gaming has been absolutely dominating because consoles are on their last year and are effectively 7 years old while PC's can be updated as much as every year

Old
02-20-2013, 05:07 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

http://www.ustream.tv/PlayStation

Sony press conference just started.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

PC is just a Xbox720/PS4 that doesn't destroy the discs you buy after installation.
I see no reason to get the new consoles.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:31 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
PC is just a Xbox720/PS4 that doesn't destroy the discs you buy after installation.
Main reason I can see is that no one makes games for PC anymore.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:51 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
cause playing from your couch in front of a 52" big screen is a lot better than on a desk with a much smaller screen

Old
02-20-2013, 05:53 PM
alanschu

Eh, the 24" monitor I have takes up much more of my field of view than the 50" TV I have, so that doesn't really fly.

If you prefer couch to desk, it is possible to set up your PC to be used on the TV too, although consoles are much more convenient to do so.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:54 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
cause playing from your couch in front of a 52" big screen is a lot better than on a desk with a much smaller screen
I would generally agree, but it depends on the game. FPS games on the pc are 100000x better than on console.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:10 PM
#ualberta

Check this link out for some PS4 details and videos of some of the games shown today that display the graphics power of the next gen console.
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/02...ation-4-event/

Sony stop short of actually showing us the console but they did detail the hardware. I don't want to get to technical but it has the specs of a really really great computer, It will have 8 GB of RAM the PS3 today has 1/2 GB of RAM it'll also sport 8 processing cores and the very best GPU available, i'm very excited about the new console Sony really didn't show very much today despite a 2 hour press conference they didn't get into the actual software very much so there is still alot to see.

Edit: ok check this link out for full tech specs
http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/20/400...rdware-details
Sony claims its a "supercharged PC architecture"

Last edited by 402: 02-20-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old
02-20-2013, 09:24 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
You can hook a PC up to your 52" big screen

Old
02-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Ghostbuster

Quote:
Can't play NHL2015 with 5 buddies in the same room on a PC.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:05 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
I would generally agree, but it depends on the game. FPS games on the pc are 100000x better than on console.
My PC monitor is right in front of me, my 42" tv is off to the left of me. I basically have my choice. To be honest, these days I prefer my PC. Better graphics on comparable games (Skyrim especially with mods) and my eyesight is kinda crappy, so it works out better for me.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:47 AM
Toydarian

Technically, I would say PC offers a "better" gaming experience. However, it also requires a bit more effort on the consumer's part. Consoles make things quick and easy, which makes them better casual entertainment systems than PCs. At least, that has been my experience.

P.S. A good monitor is better for gaming than a large TV.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:50 AM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

For what it's worth, Sony apparently reported after the conference that the PS4 won't block used games.

Not sure what Microsoft is planning yet though. I don't think they can get away with it anymore if Sony isn't going to do it.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:20 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
For what it's worth, Sony apparently reported after the conference that the PS4 won't block used games.

Not sure what Microsoft is planning yet though. I don't think they can get away with it anymore if Sony isn't going to do it.
Quote:
Sony tells Eurogamer: PlayStation 4 will not block used games
Great news. As an Xbox guy, there are soooo many PS games I want to get badly. Heavy Rain, GoW3, Infamous, LBP....the list goes on.

I was surprised that they are going with 8 GBs of ram. That seems insane to me. They managed to squeeze games like Skyrim and Far Cry 3 out of 256 mb of ram. Imagine what they can do with 8 gbs.

Closed Thread