HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Video Game Talk (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 02:35 AM
InUtero
Oilers!

vCash: 500
If rumours are true we should expect the next Xbox announcement a few weeks before E3

Old
02-21-2013, 02:47 AM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightEdge View Post
If rumours are true we should expect the next Xbox announcement a few weeks before E3
Yeah either way I'm sure we'll learn alot about both consoles at E3

Old
02-21-2013, 08:57 AM
CantHaveTkachev
"Visually"

PS4 looks super sweet...that controller is so badass looking

as long as they keep Playstation Network free and not charge like XBox then I'm definitely getting one

Old
02-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Perfect_Drug

TBH, I'm a game developer working on a Next-Gen game.
I was trying to explain to friends that it's not THAT big of a difference.

Good Artists + Good Art Direction makes good art. Not the tech.

Halo 4 - Xbox 360:

Killzone - PS4

I personally think these new consoles are about 5 years too early. I'd rather have waited until we have real-time cloth simulation, real-time hair simulation, remove animation compression, and have everything run at a DECENT performance before we changed to a new console.

:/

Old
02-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Eytinge

5 years too early? This has been the longest console generation so far. Plus I think 256 mb ram was starting to really hold games back.

Launch games won't show the full potential of the new hardware...it will be a few years before we see what they can really do. But I'm hyped for it.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
TBH, I'm a game developer working on a Next-Gen game.
I was trying to explain to friends that it's not THAT big of a difference.

Good Artists + Good Art Direction makes good art. Not the tech.

I personally think these new consoles are about 5 years too early. I'd rather have waited until we have real-time cloth simulation, real-time hair simulation, remove animation compression, and have everything run at a DECENT performance before we changed to a new console.

:/
5 years too early?! As an nonprofessional, casual gamer, I'd say they are 2 years late!
Also, doesn't cuting edge machine technology spark inovation and development?

Old
02-21-2013, 01:54 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

vCash: 50
To be fair though, there is a big difference visually between games at the start of a consoles life cycle and those at the end. There probably isn't a huge difference now, but I bet in 5 years it'll be very different

Old
06-11-2013, 10:10 AM
CantHaveTkachev
"Visually"

wow did Sony ever impress at E3 yesterday

not only will you be able to buy, sell and trade used games (unlike XBox One), you don't have to be connected to the internet at all times to play said games (also, unlike XBox One)

oh yeah, the PS4 is CHEAPER than the XBox One ($399 vs. $499)

Old
06-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Ya, Sony really stuck it to MS.
I love it haha

Greedy ********.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Calgary Oilers

vCash: 308
LOL, that is pure awesome!

Old
06-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
5 years too early?! As an nonprofessional, casual gamer, I'd say they are 2 years late!
Also, doesn't cuting edge machine technology spark inovation and development?
True.

But check out the list of closed video game studios due to insanely high development costs on the Xbox 360:

This list was published in 2012:
http://kotaku.com/5876693/every-game...own-since-2006

Here's a new list for just 2012:
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/12/1...e-lost-in-2012

At Square Enix I can tell you they just lost a boatload of money, and the CEO had to step down for Tomb Raider (Which sold 5million copied to date), which was considered an abysmal failure:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/tomb-ra...target-6405929

These games are pushing nearly $60+million to make and market, and the next generation is going to push that cost even higher.. but the sales just aren't there.

We aren't selling more copies than the PS1 era, we aren't charging more for our products, but we've pushed 10x the price.

I totally understand it must be an exciting time for consumers, but I am personally very afraid of my long-term job security in this industry. I'm not 20 years old anymore, and I have multiple mouths to feed. And I don't speak on behalf of the studio I work for, but I do cringe when I hear when used games are defended as a public right, because it might very well leave me unemployed in a few months.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:16 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Being better than the worst isn't much of an accomplishment. Sony knew they couldn't screw it up. I'm more concerned about the games. After all, you know what they said about the PS3

Old
06-11-2013, 11:25 AM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post

not only will you be able to buy, sell and trade used games (unlike XBox One), you don't have to be connected to the internet at all times to play said games (also, unlike XBox One)

Only negatives to come out of the Sony Press Conference was you have to pay for online multiplayer now (PS+ Required) and some bad stuttering during a couple demos. But I'm sure that later will be worked out. Otherwise it was a pretty big win for Sony this year. Nintendo's conference today was sad...they didn't announce much at all. :x

Old
06-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Perfect_Drug

Old
06-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

hahahaaaaaaaaa

Old
06-11-2013, 11:53 AM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Quote:
True.
At Square Enix I can tell you they just lost a boatload of money, and the CEO had to step down for Tomb Raider (Which sold 5million copied to date), which was considered an abysmal failure:
Doesn't help when you overproject sales. Square lost their minds on Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs. I don't know what they were expecting. Then they sink all their resources into failures like FF XIV. Crazy company.

Quote:
These games are pushing nearly $60+million to make and market, and the next generation is going to push that cost even higher.. but the sales just aren't there.
Thank god for Indies! I tend to play those more than the big blockbusters these days.

Quote:
We aren't selling more copies than the PS1 era, we aren't charging more for our products, but we've pushed 10x the price.
This is why I love the PC market. Indies are allowed to be creative, make games at a lower price point, retain their IP and can sell their products at a lower price point while still making good money. Not to mention if you get on Steam, you can reach a huge audience.

Quote:
I totally understand it must be an exciting time for consumers, but I am personally very afraid of my long-term job security in this industry. I'm not 20 years old anymore, and I have multiple mouths to feed. And I don't speak on behalf of the studio I work for, but I do cringe when I hear when used games are defended as a public right, because it might very well leave me unemployed in a few months.
If you have job security in the gaming industry, consider yourself extremely lucky. The turn-over is crazy. lol

But I agree. Used game sales are an old school way of thinking. It costs devs/publishers so much money. But I guess people still want disc based games...so EB has the industry by the balls. Once they move to full digital distribution, they'll say goodbye to used games. I'd bet money on it.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Musashi

PS4 looks great and the last of us comes out on friday

Good week for playstation fans

Old
06-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Since I only play maybe three games consistently, I'll buy the one that is 100 bucks less and isn't a government surveillance device.

As far as the used game market goes, I would like to know if the game developers make a cut off of used games when they are resold at a Game Stop. I hope they do.

My take on it is that I buy used games that I wouldn't pay full price for. Walking through the store and see something for $20, that's impulse buy territory. A game that's a couple years old, but looks like it might be fun for a day or two. If that same game costs $75, I keep walking.
If its a franchise like NHL, or UFC and I need the current version, I'll pay full price.

Quite frankly there aren't that many games out there to get excited about. At least current gen. The developers seem to be like Hollywood studios now. Lots of glitz and glam but less substance and a lot of plagiarism. Beautiful looking games that aren't that fun to play. The novelty of particle physics wears off really quick when the story sucks.

The Grand Theft franchise, for example, is so successful because of the story, not the graphics. It doesn't look like you're in a movie, it feels like you're in one. And that's the difference.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:09 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
As far as the used game market goes, I would like to know if the game developers make a cut off of used games when they are resold at a Game Stop. I hope they do.
They don't. That's why EB is such a rich company.

Edit: Just to add to this. If the console makers decided to stop sales of used games, EB will threaten to stop sell/promoting their titles. They make like all their money on used game sales. So we're stuck with it until they go full digital distribution, where EB has no power.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

1984 quotes with Kinect replacing Telescreen

Quote:
Inside the flat a fruity voice was reading out a list of figures which had something to do with the production of pig-iron.
The voice came from an oblong metal plaque like a dulled mirror which formed part of the surface of the right-hand wall.
Winston turned a switch and the voice sank somewhat, though the words were still distinguishable.
The instrument (the Kinect, it was called) could be dimmed, but there was no way of shutting it off completely
Quote:
He took his scribbling pad on his knee and pushed back his chair so as to get as far away from the Kinect as possible.
To keep your face expressionless was not difficult, and even your breathing could be controlled, with an effort:
but you could not control the beating of your heart, and the Kinect was quite delicate enough to pick it up.
Quote:
"You are the dead," repeated the iron voice.

"It was behind the picture," breathed Julia.

"It was behind the picture," said the voice. "Remain exactly where you are. Make no movement until you are ordered."

It was starting, it was starting at last!
They could do nothing except stand gazing into one another's eyes [] unthinkable to disobey the iron voice from the wall.
There was a snap as though a catch had been turned back, and a crash of breaking glass.
The picture had fallen to the floor uncovering the Kinect behind it.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTopper View Post
Doesn't help when you overproject sales. Square lost their minds on Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs. I don't know what they were expecting. Then they sink all their resources into failures like FF XIV. Crazy company.

Thank god for Indies! I tend to play those more than the big blockbusters these days.

This is why I love the PC market. Indies are allowed to be creative, make games at a lower price point, retain their IP and can sell their products at a lower price point while still making good money. Not to mention if you get on Steam, you can reach a huge audience.

If you have job security in the gaming industry, consider yourself extremely lucky. The turn-over is crazy. lol

But I agree. Used game sales are an old school way of thinking. It costs devs/publishers so much money. But I guess people still want disc based games...so EB has the industry by the balls. Once they move to full digital distribution, they'll say goodbye to used games. I'd bet money on it.
Ugh.

haha I'm a Square Enix employee, and your words dont fill me with much confidence.
>_<

(my opinions are my own, and don't reflect the company however).

The way I saw it, was Microsoft was doing what they ALWAYS have done.. pandered to the developers, and ignoring the consumer. Sony does what they've always done, pander to the consumers, and ignore the developers.

Funny enough, with that stance the PS3 was a huge flop for Sony for those very reasons. And they're winning the PR battle hands down right now.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:00 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Quote:
Ugh.

haha I'm a Square Enix employee, and your words dont fill me with much confidence.
>_<

(my opinions are my own, and don't reflect the company however).
Lol...sorry about that! It was very strange to hear SE blaming Tomb Raider in their quarterly report though. I mean, it sold pretty well and received great reviews. There's a conspiracy out there that they wanted to scapegoat western titles to shift blame away from some Japanese failures. Who knows if that's true, but it wouldn't shock me really.

I did love the Eidos purchase though. Deus Ex is one of my all time fav games and Human Revolution did the franchise justice. Was so happy about that.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:05 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

As I posted in the OT thread, I will definitely be purchasing PS4 and Wii U this gen after owning a 360 and Wii last gen and PS2/GCN the gen before that.

Xbox REALLY dropped the ball on this one. Halo, Gears and Fable (which hasn't really been good since the first) will likely be the only reason this thing sees decent sales

Old
06-11-2013, 01:17 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Being stuck at work kinda sucks when these things go on. A new DKC is intriguing.

Old
06-11-2013, 02:56 PM
SephF
[b][/b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post

Closed Thread