HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Video Game Talk (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2013, 01:45 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

vCash: 500
I'm going PS4 and I've been with XBOX since the start. Got XBL the day it came out. I'm looking forward to PS+, it would be nice to actually get something back aside from the ability to play online. 10+ years of being with XBL and the only thing I ever got back was Fable 3, but everyone got that. Just not enough customer appreciation from Microsoft, so it's time to move onto better things.

Although if 343 manages to make Halo 5 great I will probably end up getting an Xbone. I'm in no rush though. The price isn't right, probably because of the built-in kinect which I could care less about. PS4 is better AND cheaper, such an easy choice.

Old
06-13-2013, 07:55 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
I'm going PS4 and I've been with XBOX since the start. Got XBL the day it came out. I'm looking forward to PS+, it would be nice to actually get something back aside from the ability to play online. 10+ years of being with XBL and the only thing I ever got back was Fable 3, but everyone got that. Just not enough customer appreciation from Microsoft, so it's time to move onto better things.

Although if 343 manages to make Halo 5 great I will probably end up getting an Xbone. I'm in no rush though. The price isn't right, probably because of the built-in kinect which I could care less about. PS4 is better AND cheaper, such an easy choice.
They offered party chat. Which is better than the free games you can get imo.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:17 AM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
You were far more likely to break the thing the controller hit than break the controller.

It wouldn't weird you out at all to think that you'd be putting a microphone and camera in your living room requiring daily internet connection to a company that gives the US intelligence community access to it's data?
i am honestly surprised that more people dont have a problem with this. It is my biggest issue, its not like i am doing criminal activity or anything but I have kids and i dont want a hacker or govt agency watching me or my family through the always connected kinnect. A few months ago a friend of mine linked me to a website that had over 180,000 unsecured webcams on live feed. most were security cams but there were also tons of laptops and computers and people were just going about their day and had no idea they were being watched.

As someone who plays a little NHL and COD i dont need a peeping camera in my living room 24/7 that has the potential to be used for anything it is not advertised to do.

For the record I got Xbox 360 launch week and have always been xbox>PS

Old
06-13-2013, 08:23 AM
Perfect_Drug

XBone is pretty much dead barring a miraculous marketing push and a huge price drop.

Aside from the always on Stuff, there really isn't much difference between the two consoles. Sony just has much better PR

Old
06-13-2013, 08:26 AM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
XBone is pretty much dead barring a miraculous marketing push and a huge price drop.

Aside from the always on Stuff, there really isn't much difference between the two consoles. Sony just has much better PR
totally agree. i think MS mis-guessed the hardocre gaming loyalty. For years XBL players have forked over the XBL $ even though PSN was free with the console. Im sure at some point someone at MS said "they pay for a service they can get from sony for free so im sure there wont be a backlash for charging for used gameplay". My guess is that guy is wrong, really wrong. A lot of the guys i play xbl with are talking PS4 or console gaming instead.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:48 AM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Sony is playing it rather safe after that mass hack they had. They need to rebuild their PR.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:55 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
They will just switch to the new console with an activation fee. I think this is just speculation at this point.
Have then said this? With the old xbox they just shut down online access and forced people to re-buy the games, I believe.

Well to each their own. Enjoy your xbox one. I just know I certainly am not getting one.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Paralyzer
The Oilers Awaken

After watching both Press Conferences for both Xbox One and PS4, I can see that both look to be really good consoles, however, Microsoft seemed very disconcerning to the gaming community. I feel Microsoft thinks that even if they screw up big time, people will still follow suit and spend money on them, which I am very positive people will still shell out the cash, but I think you might see about 20% of the xbox fan base switching to PS4, or 20% will buy a PS4 and Xbox One and try to compare the two. I personally am getting the PS4, but not because it's better than the Xbox, it's because I have always played on the PS systems my whole life. Not to mention all my friends are PS fans so it makes sense to stick with what your friends are going for. Also, the fact it's $399 makes it a huge bonus for myself when I bought the Ps3 for $500 when it came out in 2006.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:58 AM
czar99

I find this Xbox thing very disturbing. Not the used game part but the whole must be connected to the Internet to play crap. Also the though of someone watching me while I pick my nose is very disturbing.

Come to think about it I just bought a Samsung 8000 series tv and I am going to go put a piece of tape over the camera lens right now.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:07 AM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
I find this Xbox thing very disturbing. Not the used game part but the whole must be connected to the Internet to play crap. Also the though of someone watching me while I pick my nose is very disturbing.

Come to think about it I just bought a Samsung 8000 series tv and I am going to go put a piece of tape over the camera lens right now.
i read that there is a lense on your cable box as well, i put a little slab of electrical tape over anything that could be a lense.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:47 AM
fysloc

I wonder if Sony will use the same security system on the PS4 as they did on the PS3 so people can't hack it. Took ages for the PS3 to finally be hacked, and even then, its not fully hacked. And from my weak university knowledge on computer security, the theoretical protection is perfect, but the person implementing it screwed up and an exploit was found due to a design error that slipped through the cracks.

As for the PSN hack last year (or was it 2 years ago), yes, it was horrible for Sony and huge PR backlash for their supposed lack of security, but you can't fault them for actually being honest and saying "We been hacked", unlike many other companies which keep it under the wraps and try to hide it (*cough*Apple*cough*). Security is a funny thing that we trust corporations with it, yet they will never be ahead of the hackers/attackers due to the nature of the industry.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:58 AM
CantHaveTkachev
Year 108

vCash: 314
no internet? stick with 360, says Micro$oft

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/1...says-microsoft

certainly aren't doing themselves any favours at this point

Old
06-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
I saw the Xbox 1 release thing on ES 2013 a couple of weeks ago.

Pretty much made up my mind not to get one.

If I ever get a new console, more than likely it'll be the PS4....although it would suck as I've never owned a PS, so all games would have to be bought (most likely used.)

We'll see what happens if/when it comes to that point.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:17 PM
oil slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
totally agree. i think MS mis-guessed the hardocre gaming loyalty. For years XBL players have forked over the XBL $ even though PSN was free with the console. Im sure at some point someone at MS said "they pay for a service they can get from sony for free so im sure there wont be a backlash for charging for used gameplay". My guess is that guy is wrong, really wrong. A lot of the guys i play xbl with are talking PS4 or console gaming instead.
I think they misjudged their loyalty too. I think I'm pretty typical in that every 8 years or whatever, I evaluate the new systems and buy one and stick with it. I have an xbox now, but I have no problem whatsoever switching. Even a hundred dollars difference -- I could use an extra 100$, and I don't really see any real advantage of xbox over ps4.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:30 PM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick View Post
I think they misjudged their loyalty too. I think I'm pretty typical in that every 8 years or whatever, I evaluate the new systems and buy one and stick with it. I have an xbox now, but I have no problem whatsoever switching. Even a hundred dollars difference -- I could use an extra 100$, and I don't really see any real advantage of xbox over ps4.
i had a ps2 and switched to xbox360, everything i have sen so far leads me to think il be getting a ps4. I have seen nothing from sony that makes me not want to and nothing from MS that makes me want to get an xbox. It is weird though that many people feel the same way i do. The xbox was made on gamers, abandoning them now makes little sense.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Perfect_Drug

Truth be told, the thing I was curious about, was simply Why didn't they simply show what the advantages of CLOUD were.

Why not show the advantages of always online. I'm sure there are TONS, but they haven't shown anything. They simply went on a tangent of all the things it didn't allow you to do.

I'm really wondering if they could make the biggest open-world MMO/FPS like World War 2 online feasible, or GuildWars 2 to console.

Anyways, this is pretty much what happened:

I was planning on getting both consoles, but I really think I'll just get the PS4 this time round.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:54 PM
dangerMcdanger

Very long time Xbox user, bought probably 100 games over the last 10 years with only 20 used so DRM would have a minimal effect on me. However, as a matter of principle, there's no way I would buy an Xbox1 if it contains DRM.

If they backtrail, and remove this completely, I might still get an Xbox. But as it stands I'll definitely be PS4

Old
06-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Switching sides doesn't mean much now since the games and peripherals are not backwards compatible. I'd have to keep my 360 around for a while anyway. But I'm staying away from the XBone this go round. It wants to take over my living room and possibly spy on me, even if it is just for targeted advertisements. Just want a game console, thanks.

Old
06-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Truth be told, the thing I was curious about, was simply Why didn't they simply show what the advantages of CLOUD were.

Why not show the advantages of always online. I'm sure there are TONS, but they haven't shown anything. They simply went on a tangent of all the things it didn't allow you to do.

I'm really wondering if they could make the biggest open-world MMO/FPS like World War 2 online feasible, or GuildWars 2 to console.
Molyneux said as much as well:

Quote:
"I just think it was very unprofessionally done. There was one message from one Phil and then another message from another Phil," Molyneux said, speaking about Xbox executives Phil Spencer and Phil Harrison. "And they seemed to be kind of shooting from the hip."

"Always online is simple for me. As a consumer, just show me why I should be always online and I'll be happy with it," he added. "At the moment, it just means game sale authentication. I don't want that. But if there's some way you can give a huge benefit for the consumer, and make the message super clear, [it would be accepted]."

Molyneux said that Microsoft must be "very clear" and focus on the benefits of a connected console if it wants to win consumers over. He pointed out that smartphones are always-connected devices and it's something people don't give much thought to.

"We need, as an industry, to be super clear to our consumers, and when you're at E3 you kind of forget about consumers for a while. It just seems to be all about the show," Molyneux said.

Old
06-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Paralyzer
The Oilers Awaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Molyneux said as much as well:
You know what else they forgot to leave out? this eliminates the possible chances of having a LAN Party. If the host has no internet, the LAN Party downgrades to a Social Gathering.

Old
06-13-2013, 02:13 PM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
You know what else they forgot to leave out? this eliminates the possible chances of having a LAN Party. If the host has no internet, the LAN Party downgrades to a Social Gathering.
But why would someone without internet buy an Xbox?

Old
06-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Paralyzer
The Oilers Awaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
But why would someone without internet buy an Xbox?
The same people who cant afford an internet connection or you are taking it to locations where there is no internet.

Old
06-13-2013, 02:19 PM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
The same people who cant afford an internet connection or you are taking it to locations where there is no internet.
That doesn't really answer my question. If you can't afford internet, why would you spend an extra $100 to buy a console you can't play? People that don't have internet simply won't be buying an Xbox, so it won't be an issue

Old
06-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Perfect_Drug

What is more astounding, is you won't be able to play many games on the PS4 either without internet.

Game studios are being pressed REALLY hard to include the cloud distribution onto their games by both console makers.

Sony simply says 'it's up to the game developers', but they DO have pretty much the exact same online structure, authentication, and DRM stuff setup.

M$ has the worst PR on the planet.

Old
06-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Sloth Slothersons*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
That doesn't really answer my question. If you can't afford internet, why would you spend an extra $100 to buy a console you can't play? People that don't have internet simply won't be buying an Xbox, so it won't be an issue
Hey, hey, hey. This is a Xbone bashing thread. Get with the program or get out. We don't have time for your smartass questions.

Also, I was a ps2 guy then I got a 360 and even ended up getting a ps3 as well. I prefer my 360 because most of my friends have one, xbox live is superior imo, and such and such. But right now for the same obvious reasons as others have pointed out, I am leaning towards a ps4. Still, I won't be buying a console right at launch so there is a lot of time for things to change. I actually like Xbox's exclusives they've announced more than the ps4's, it's just the other issues that push me away. As for the controllers, I prefer the xbox ones but the playstation ones are good as well. Apparently both have been improved a bit and for those with big hands, the ps4's controller fits better than the ps3's.

We'll see what happens over the next several months.

PS Very excited about The Last of Us. I loved the Uncharted series.

Closed Thread