HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Video Game Talk (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
That doesn't really answer my question. If you can't afford internet, why would you spend an extra $100 to buy a console you can't play? People that don't have internet simply won't be buying an Xbox, so it won't be an issue
Let's say I'm going up in the mountains to a cabin with power and a bubble screen tv and I want to bring my xbox one up there and finish off my game Skyrim, which has no internet connection required on it. How would you feel if xbox one said 'NOPE! CAN'T PLAY! NO INTERNET!'?

Old
06-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Dangerdanger

Quote:
That doesn't really answer my question. If you can't afford internet, why would you spend an extra $100 to buy a console you can't play? People that don't have internet simply won't be buying an Xbox, so it won't be an issue
I often work in remote exploration camps and like to bring video games along in order to pass the time at night. Always on = no dice to video games at night.

Hence my switching to PS4.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:00 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

I rather dislike the whole "but everybody has the internet" bit that keeps coming from Microsoft.

Everybody has the internet, and most people's internet can be brought down by one troll with a packet script. Every major League of Legends streamer is forced to have a proxy because they're being DDoS'd. All an online requirement does is paint a giant target on the internet at venues like Evolution... and on Microsoft's servers.

Jonathan Blow said it well last night when he said all Microsoft has done from an engineering perspective has added more ways for their product to fail.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

I think the simplest situation is where people would just ask themselves why they want to buy a system with a stupid online requirement when there is at least 1 alternative that is similar (if not better) in quality and sells for less?

Can't really see anyone going for the XB1 unless they are a hardcore MS fan. Otherwise most people are going to go with PS4 or WiiU.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
06-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Have then said this? With the old xbox they just shut down online access and forced people to re-buy the games, I believe.

Well to each their own. Enjoy your xbox one. I just know I certainly am not getting one.
It's what the guys at EB are saying. Nothing official but these seemed to think this is a tempest in a teapot. The were not at all concerned and they make their living off of used games.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Perfect_Drug

Damage control begins:
http://www.***********/r/xboxone/comm..._games_kinect/

Old
06-13-2013, 11:46 PM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
they can say all they want, its not going to matter. Its that fact that they went out of their way to put these restrictions in when they really didn't have to.

I can't support that, i was xbox 360 fan (a big one), but now i've switched to ps4, it is and will be the better console IMO

Old
06-13-2013, 11:56 PM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
they can say all they want, its not going to matter. Its that fact that they went out of their way to put these restrictions in when they really didn't have to.

I can't support that, i was xbox 360 fan (a big one), but now i've switched to ps4, it is and will be the better console IMO
PS4 has much of the same restrictions.

They just managed the PR a lot better.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:53 AM
thinlizzy

I can't support that, i was xbox 360 fan (a big one), but now i've switched to ps4, it is and will be the better console IMO[/QUOTE]

Plus 1. The X Box 360 isn't a durable when compared to the PS 3.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:

Bingo.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:53 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
Let's say I'm going up in the mountains to a cabin with power and a bubble screen tv and I want to bring my xbox one up there and finish off my game Skyrim, which has no internet connection required on it. How would you feel if xbox one said 'NOPE! CAN'T PLAY! NO INTERNET!'?
You're missing my point. Why would you buy an Xbox then? Buy a PS4 and don't worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_Gretzky View Post
I often work in remote exploration camps and like to bring video games along in order to pass the time at night. Always on = no dice to video games at night.

Hence my switching to PS4.
This is the reality of it. If you think you might be stuck without internet, don't buy an Xbox

Old
06-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
You're missing my point. Why would you buy an Xbox then? Buy a PS4 and don't worry about it

This is the reality of it. If you think you might be stuck without internet, don't buy an Xbox
Unless you use discs no? I know this is going to be considered old technology, but the discs will still work I believe.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:04 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
You can play you just have to have the disc with you. If you load the game on to you X1 then you don't need the disc to play the game as long as you are connected to the Internet. If you have no Internet connection then you have to have the disc present to be able to play offline.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:11 PM
mackaveli

Quote:

And what restrictions will that be?

Old
06-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackaveli View Post
And what restrictions will that be?
I would also like to hear these restrictions.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Debonair

Quote:

Simply not true. PS4 supports used games and doesn't require an internet connection. I'm another one switching to PS4 because of those restrictions. The fact that it's $100 cheaper and more powerful is just an added bonus. I'd get a WiiU over an Xbox One.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:28 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonair View Post
Simply not true. PS4 supports used games and doesn't require an internet connection. I'm another one switching to PS4 because of those restrictions. The fact that it's $100 cheaper and more powerful is just an added bonus. I'd get a WiiU over an Xbox One.
Didn't Sony say they're leaving the DRM on their system up to the game developers?

Which means there's going to be big issues with used games on their system as well, but they can blame it on the developers.

Like Perfect_Drug said, Sony is doing a great job with PR.

They're probably going to get a huge sales boost because people are getting fooled into thinking their system is infinitely better. The restrictions on both systems is going to be a lot closer than most people seem to think.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Didn't Sony say they're leaving the DRM on their system up to the game developers?

Which means there's going to be big issues with used games on their system as well, but they can blame it on the developers.

They're probably going to get a huge sales boost because people are getting fooled into thinking their system is infinitely better. The restrictions on both systems is going to be a lot closer than most people seem to think.
Yeah, it's not like developers will have one deal for Sony and one for Xbox for the same games. They will want to maximize revenue on both, especially now that Microsoft has taken all the PR flack for it.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Oilersfanneedsdrink

Quote:

http://http://www.gamespot.com/e3/so...tions-6409882/

It has to deal with online games, not disc based games.

Quote:
"As announced last night, PS4 will not have any gating restrictions for used disc-based games," the statement goes on. "When a gamer buys a PS4 disc they have right to use that copy of the game, so they can trade-in the game at retail, sell it to another person, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever."
Meanwhile

Quote:
This plan differs from that of Microsoft, which has said that decisions about whether or not secondhand Xbox One games can be resold will be left up to publishers. In addition, secondhand Xbox One sales will be available only at unspecified "participating retailers."
Basically i think people are in denial at this point even when the info is right in front of them.

Microsoft is wanting a fee for everything you do with the game you already bought, they also want some kind of additional retail fee which is why its stated that they will only deal with participating retailers, they want to pressure stores like gamestop to charge more and receive less profits or else they won't play ball.

At this point why even buy a console if once you install the game the disc becomes useless? Stick to a PC you get the same restrictions but more convenience and affordability with steam. I think even steam does not require you to constantly be online to play the game, just log in to verify your account. In fact i may be wrong on this but steam is not locked to one PC you can log onto another computer in another location and play your steam games while the Xbox one will be console locked and well as region locked. All you will be able to do is play for about 1 hour before it shuts you down(also deals with borrowing a game), this has been confirmed, though they could make changes at any time to soften the outrage.

Last edited by Oilersfanneedsdrink: 06-14-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old
06-14-2013, 01:56 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfanneedsdrink View Post
http://http://www.gamespot.com/e3/so...tions-6409882/

It has to deal with online games, not disc based games.

Meanwhile

Basically i think people are in denial at this point even when the info is right in front of them.

Microsoft is wanting a fee for everything you do with the game you already bought, they also want some kind of additional retail fee which is why its stated that they will only deal with participating retailers, they want to pressure stores like gamestop to charge more and receive less profits or else they won't play ball.

At this point why even buy a console if once you install the game the disc becomes useless? Stick to a PC you get the same restrictions but more convenience and affordability with steam. I think even steam does not require you to constantly be online to play the game, just log in to verify your account.
that last quote makes it sound like they have a deal with gamestop/EB games in place for used game market. i found it weird that they havent complained or made any noise about the used games as they make alot of money off of them.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:59 PM
dnicks17

And developers will put an "online pass" on those games.

You'll be able to lend your PS4 game to your friend, but he'll have to $10-20 to play it online, download DLC, etc.

Developers will even it out.

They aren't going to allow any noticeable gap between sales on one system to the next.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:03 PM
dnicks17

I also don't see why the "needing to be connected to the internet every 24 hours even while playing offline games" keeps being brought up as an issue.

You don't need to do the 24 hour check-in if you're using the disc.

Have we really got to the point where physically putting a disc into the system is a daunting task?

Old
06-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:

You'll be able to lend your PS4 game to your friend, but he'll have to $10-20 to play it online, download DLC, etc.

They aren't going to allow any noticeable gap between sales on one system to the next.
Agreed. It just makes sense the devs will keep it even.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Oilersfanneedsdrink

Quote:

Well DLC is a whole separate issue, you do not require additional content to play the game you already bought, and online passes already exist on either console.

I know on the ps3 all i did was share my log in info with my brother, he downloaded the dlc and the entire game worked without him being logged on, including all the extra content, i don't know if the restriction will be more strict this time, i am guessing yes.

The whole online pass issue and dlc is the consumer's fault, we kept giving the companies a reason to charge more for less when we were buying broken rushed dlc content for way too much money.

That i blame solely on the consumers.
Quote:
"The Online Pass program for PlayStation first-party games will not continue on PlayStation 4. Similar to PS3, we will not dictate the online used game strategy (the ability to play used games online) of its publishing partners," reads a line from the statement.
They are leaving somethings up to the publishers, but i have a feeling that not all publishers are going to shoot themselves in the foot with restrictions as heavy as on the xbox.

Either way, i would wait a little bit before buying any new console, not like i trust Sony either. If they will win the competition in the console gaming market this generation, then they could end up implementing all these crazy restrictions to the ps4 eventually anyways, years down the road.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
You can play you just have to have the disc with you. If you load the game on to you X1 then you don't need the disc to play the game as long as you are connected to the Internet. If you have no Internet connection then you have to have the disc present to be able to play offline.
Are you suggesting that as long as you have the disc you can play offline? Because from everything I've read that is not true, the Xbox One requires you to connect to the internet at least once every 24 hours or you won't be able to play your game, disc or no disc.

If what you're saying is true, why did that Microsoft dude in the video posted before say "if you don't have an internet connection, buy an Xbox 360"
Quote:

Sony said that their DRM scheme will be the exact same as this generation. They can't stop a separate third party developer from putting in their own form of DRM. Online passes to me aren't a big deal. I understand why EA or Ubisoft put them in, and it still allows me to play my single player games. Sony won't be able to stop them from putting some form of DRM in their online play. But you're still able to play the single player campaign because the PS4 doesn't require you to be connected online to play the games.

Microsoft just flat out requires you to sign in everyday (along with the stupid Kinect camera having to be connected all the time), and if you don't your game console becomes a huge paperweight. Now you and czar seem to be implying that as long as you have the disc, you can play offline regardless of online connectivity. I have not read this anywhere, is it possible either of you can provide a link or quote where Microsoft stated this?

Closed Thread