HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Video Game Talk (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Eytinge

vCash: 500
And to be honest, the DRM is only a part of my issue with the Xbox One. There used games policy is just way too restrictive to the customers. You can only lend a game to a friend once, and only if you have him on your friend list for 30 days, AND only if the publishers allows it? Along with the stupid Kinect crap, Kinect has been out for 2 years and I've never once felt the need to go out and buy it for my 360, I avoided it for a reason. Making it mandatory and having it always on (or at least always connected) after we just learned Microsoft is part of the PRISM controversy isn't very comforting. And I'm not even a paranoid guy usually.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Oilersfanneedsdrink

Quote:
I have not read this anywhere, is it possible either of you can provide a link or quote where Microsoft stated this?
They have not read it anywhere, they are wrong. You need to be logged into your account, you need to verify every 24 hours in order for your games to work. Once you install the game to your hard drive you will no longer need the disc, it will work like a PC in that regard.

Therefore once your game is on the hard drive, the xbox needs to verify your info by you logging into your account. You can play offline for about 1 hour before you get booted if your internet connection does happen to go down.

I have a big problem with install all the games on your Hard drive, that space will run out fast. Are you even allowed to switch to a new hard drive like you are the PS3?

Quote:
after we just learned Microsoft is part of the PRISM controversy isn't very comforting.
I really wish all consumers did some research before buying a product. Its sad that so few people are outraged and really care or even know what PRISM is.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:03 PM
czar99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Are you suggesting that as long as you have the disc you can play offline? Because from everything I've read that is not true, the Xbox One requires you to connect to the internet at least once every 24 hours or you won't be able to play your game, disc or no disc.

If what you're saying is true, why did that Microsoft dude in the video posted before say "if you don't have an internet connection, buy an Xbox ?
DRM--WHY?
As we saw above, you will be able install your games to your hard-drive and have your entire library available to play without putting the disc in the disc tray.
This is why the 24-hour check is required. Without this, many copies of the same game could be installed into multiple X1's and it would be absolutely crumble game sales.
The drawback to this is not being able to game offline. Microsoft has said that the final decisions to this issue have not been final. I believe if they allow you to play offline with the disc in the disc tray, this would become a non-issue.

I guess I miss read this part. Hopefully the developer allow us to play the games offline with the disc in the tray.

As far as the kinect alway being on, apparently you can turn it on and off to suit your needs.

PRIVACY
This is one of the biggest things people have been complaining about. Microsoft has already addressed the issue, but of course it fell on deaf ears. People already had their pitch forks out and had Sony on a pedestal by this point.
"You are in control of when Kinect sensing is On, Off or Paused: If you don’t want the Kinect sensor on while playing games or enjoying your entertainment, you can pause Kinect. To turn off your Xbox One, just say “Xbox Off.” When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command -- “Xbox On,” and you can even turn that feature off too. Some apps and games may require Kinect functionality to operate, so you’ll need to turn it back on for these experiences."
As I've stated before, you will have the control to everything that the Kinect has to offer. If you don't want it to hear you? You can do that. If you don't want it to see you, you can do that. Don't want it to listen for the "Xbox On" while it's off, you can also do that.
If you want to learn more about the Kinect's privacy settings, you can click this link: Kinect Privacy

It can all be found here:

http://www.***********/r/xboxone/comm..._games_kinect/

Old
06-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I know about 10 people that have a 360 and PS3.
I know about 10 people that will only be buying a PS4.

Only the MS extremists will be happy with their crapbox.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Oilersfanneedsdrink

Quote:
Microsoft has said that the final decisions to this issue have not been final. I believe if they allow you to play offline with the disc in the disc tray, this would become a non-issue.
Read between the lines.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:23 PM
fysloc

So basically what im getting out of the ****** article is the fears of everything is still true, its just the posters opinion of how to make it a non issue, but it is not official.

Therefore, all arguments about DRM on xbone are still there until microsoft officially updates its policies (which it has not, since the ****** article has alot of "I think", "May do", "Do this then", etc...)

As it currently stands with OFFICIAL microsoft documents (not some posters ****** post with his own opinions and suggestions being taken as fact), you still have to log in every day to play games.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysloc View Post
So basically what im getting out of the ****** article is the fears of everything is still true, its just the posters opinion of how to make it a non issue, but it is not official.

Therefore, all arguments about DRM on xbone are still there until microsoft officially updates its policies (which it has not, since the ****** article has alot of "I think", "May do", "Do this then", etc...)

As it currently stands with OFFICIAL microsoft documents (not some posters ****** post with his own opinions and suggestions being taken as fact), you still have to log in every day to play games.
Agreed. That ******, while informative is a lot of second guessing and speculating.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

This is some good PR

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/1...says-microsoft

No internet? Stick with the 360, peasant.
If I didn't have internet, I would just buy a PS4.

Old
06-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Anymore Xbox apologetics around?

Old
06-14-2013, 04:30 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

XBOX Mission statement - please pay us money to peep you and watch you and listen to you and send your information to whoever will pay us or asks for it because we are here to make money dawg

Old
06-14-2013, 06:02 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
DRM--WHY?
As we saw above, you will be able install your games to your hard-drive and have your entire library available to play without putting the disc in the disc tray.
This is why the 24-hour check is required. Without this, many copies of the same game could be installed into multiple X1's and it would be absolutely crumble game sales.
The drawback to this is not being able to game offline. Microsoft has said that the final decisions to this issue have not been final. I believe if they allow you to play offline with the disc in the disc tray, this would become a non-issue.

I guess I miss read this part. Hopefully the developer allow us to play the games offline with the disc in the tray.

As far as the kinect alway being on, apparently you can turn it on and off to suit your needs.

PRIVACY
This is one of the biggest things people have been complaining about. Microsoft has already addressed the issue, but of course it fell on deaf ears. People already had their pitch forks out and had Sony on a pedestal by this point.
"You are in control of when Kinect sensing is On, Off or Paused: If you don’t want the Kinect sensor on while playing games or enjoying your entertainment, you can pause Kinect. To turn off your Xbox One, just say “Xbox Off.” When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command -- “Xbox On,” and you can even turn that feature off too. Some apps and games may require Kinect functionality to operate, so you’ll need to turn it back on for these experiences."
As I've stated before, you will have the control to everything that the Kinect has to offer. If you don't want it to hear you? You can do that. If you don't want it to see you, you can do that. Don't want it to listen for the "Xbox On" while it's off, you can also do that.
If you want to learn more about the Kinect's privacy settings, you can click this link: Kinect Privacy

It can all be found here:

http://www.***********/r/xboxone/comm..._games_kinect/
You aren't reading that right, it's a what-if scenario. The guy is saying Microsoft can avoid all the drama IF they allow you to play the games offline with a disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
This is some good PR

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/1...says-microsoft

No internet? Stick with the 360, peasant.
If I didn't have internet, I would just buy a PS4.
Microsofts PR department is just awful

Last edited by SephF: 06-14-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old
06-14-2013, 06:27 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Wow that Xbox stuff is starting to sound a little crazy.
Do they honestly have enough ignorant halo fanboys to salvage this console?

Old
06-15-2013, 01:35 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post

Microsofts PR department is just awful
Yeah that was pretty ###ho##ish. I think I may be changing my mind. The PRISM thing is Orwellian.

Old
06-15-2013, 07:25 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

My Dad lives an hour east of Edmonton on an acrage and cant get above 28.8 dial up.

Looks like he'll be getting a PS4.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

I'm probably one of the only Xbox users who has never played an online type of game. Golf, hockey, Skyrim, Dark Souls...all have online components (except Skyrim I think), but I just play single player.

I really really really do not like the type of heavy handedness that Microsoft is pushing on both the consumers of their product and the publishers of the games themselves. I know games like WOW have set the precedent for online games for years, but I don't really want any part of playing a game with people I do not know.

Oh yeah, although WOW is totally my style of game (I love the RPG's), I've never played it because I want no part of the "online experience."

2 cents from a gamer who likes to play single player games.

Old
06-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Aequitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I'm probably one of the only Xbox users who has never played an online type of game. Golf, hockey, Skyrim, Dark Souls...all have online components (except Skyrim I think), but I just play single player.

I really really really do not like the type of heavy handedness that Microsoft is pushing on both the consumers of their product and the publishers of the games themselves. I know games like WOW have set the precedent for online games for years, but I don't really want any part of playing a game with people I do not know.

Oh yeah, although WOW is totally my style of game (I love the RPG's), I've never played it because I want no part of the "online experience."

dunno why you quote online experience. people prefer single or multiplayer. there isn't anything wrong with either choice.

that being said I am exact opposite almost exclusively online multiplayer and I will probably get a ps4 because I don't like the way xbox is treating its customers.

Old
06-15-2013, 12:35 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
Binary Planets

Xbox One is going to be a colossal fail, speaking as a former MS fanboy. Asked several retailers over the past few days what their pre-orders are for both consoles. South Common Future Shop: PS4: Too many to count. XB1: A whopping 2

When I asked Best Buy about pre-ordering PS4 they said "are you SURE you don't want XB1?" The thing is a joke.

Old
06-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoesoftheEighties View Post
Xbox One is going to be a colossal fail, speaking as a former MS fanboy. Asked several retailers over the past few days what their pre-orders are for both consoles. South Common Future Shop: PS4: Too many to count. XB1: A whopping 2

When I asked Best Buy about pre-ordering PS4 they said "are you SURE you don't want XB1?" The thing is a joke.
The level of corporate money-grubbing here is massive. It's unbelievable how arrogantly they are attempting to take advantage of the consumer from every conceivable angle.

I'm moving to Sony for the first time ever with this generation of console, and I highly doubt that I'll ever look back.

Old
06-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post

I am a loner too and play a lot of RPGs for which I always buy the disc and that likely won't change, however, I do like the online gaming for COD and a few other games. I love the 360, but I have to say that what I have learned in this thread is changing my mind.

I have read a lot or the linked articles. I had no idea how big some of these issues are. I could care less about Halo too.

Gonna take a wait and see approach.

The one question to anyone here is this: Often there is DLC content that is exclusive to Xbox or PS. For a game like Fallout or another major like Skyrim, is there the same available DLC for both? I think it's just the Sony and Microsoft games that don't cross platforms. Any insight would be great. Thanks.

Old
06-15-2013, 02:19 PM
Aequitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
I am a loner too and play a lot of RPGs for which I always buy the disc and that likely won't change, however, I do like the online gaming for COD and a few other games. I love the 360, but I have to say that what I have learned in this thread is changing my mind.

I have read a lot or the linked articles. I had no idea how big some of these issues are. I could care less about Halo too.

Gonna take a wait and see approach.

The one question to anyone here is this: Often there is DLC content that is exclusive to Xbox or PS. For a game like Fallout or another major like Skyrim, is there the same available DLC for both? I think it's just the Sony and Microsoft games that don't cross platforms. Any insight would be great. Thanks.
Depends on the game. Sometimes developers will release for both same amount. sometimes they will release on one first other second and sometimes there will be console exclusive dlc.

Old
06-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
Depends on the game. Sometimes developers will release for both same amount. sometimes they will release on one first other second and sometimes there will be console exclusive dlc.
Thanks.

Old
06-15-2013, 02:29 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Ps4 has some wicked looking games coming out

Old
06-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

So, to recap: To woo back the console defectors:

1. Microsoft MUST change their policy to include 'always online' for installed games ONLY.
2. They MUST allow games to be played from the disc WITHOUT online authentication.
3. They MUST remove their imposed limits on selling/trading used discs.

I wonder if they already screwed themselves by designing the console to read from the hard drive only. Is there any going back on their design philosophy now that the launch is only half a year away?

Also, they have no 'hook' to keep the loyal 360 gamers in their ecosystem, IMO. All of the exclusive franchises have kinda run their course. People will realize that gamerscore doesn't really amount to anything. There's no backwards compatibility. It's a perfect jumping-off point for everyone.

Also, people remember that the PS3 'Ferrari' was a much nicer car than the 360 'Ferrari', perhaps limited in RAM, resulting in longer load times. But I'm far more inclined to trust Sony's production line. The one that gave us true 1080p, not upscaled 480p or 360p like the 360 did. The one that didn't RROD or have such a ridiculously loud fan.

I'll wait until Boxing Week to make my purchase, but things don't look so good for the industry as a whole right now. Nintendo needs a price cut this fall as well, there's no number of Mario games that can put a $300/$350 Wii U on equal ground with a $400 PS4. Nintendo could be in big trouble.

Old
06-15-2013, 07:54 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964

Old
06-15-2013, 08:58 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
Binary Planets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Nintendo needs a price cut this fall as well, there's no number of Mario games that can put a $300/$350 Wii U on equal ground with a $400 PS4. Nintendo could be in big trouble.
The new Zeldas and Smash Bros will sell consoles alone. I thought Nintendo was done this generation but with Xbox's flop, they'll pick up plenty of Microsoft customers with Sony getting the majority. The thing is, Nintendo needs more third party support. They can only get by for so long on the strength of their first party titles.

They should pull a Sega and only sell software (before it bites them like it's starting to) IMO. They'd make WAY more money. Keep the handhelds though.

Closed Thread