HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Video Game Talk (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2013, 09:03 PM
jlockhart89

vCash: 500
I've been a pretty avid (although not hardcore) gamer since my family got a Super Nintendo for Christmas at the age of 5. I've had one console exclusively for every generation since:

Super Nintendo/N64/Gamecube (questionable decision)/Xbox 360

For every generation (aside from the Gamecube) I've been completely satisfied in my decision not to purchase the Sony product. I was a very staunch supporter of Xbox 360 over the PS3. Both for online gaming and single player experiences. I also preferred the controller and functionality of the Xbox 360.

I had decided to buy the new Xbox almost regardless sight un-seen, until the absolute bomb Xbox decided to release.

I have absolutely nothing against Sony, they've done nothing to piss me off as a consumer, I've just always preferred the alternatives. Xbox One not only disappointed me in nearly every aspect of its presentation, but I feel like ultimately they've pissed off 3rd party developers as well.

I think this thing is almost destined to fail:
- 24 hour internet authentication
- peoples paranoia with Kinects privacy issues
- The lack of freedom to rent, lend and re-sell your own games
- The fact that their fancy new integrated TV features probably won't be supported by any providers other then a few large ones in the States
- Zero backwards compatibility (although PS4 is the same)
- An additional $100 to the price tag

Microsoft single handedly swayed me AWAY from their product. Most of my buddies gamed exclusively on the Xbox 360 as well, not a single one of them will be purchasing the Xbox One.

Microsoft did a phenomenal job of marketing the PS4, congrats!

Old
06-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Like someone said, Nintendo should just dump consoles and concentrate on handhelds. 3DS is already 10000x better than the Wii and WiiU. And will continue to do so. Cut your losses and concentrate what you are good at.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:55 PM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
Like someone said, Nintendo should just dump consoles and concentrate on handhelds. 3DS is already 10000x better than the Wii and WiiU. And will continue to do so. Cut your losses and concentrate what you are good at.
Whether you personally liked it or not, the Wii DID win the last console war by a sizable margin.

Nintendo is never out of it, unless Zelda, Mario, Metroid, and Pokemon all fail. None are out yet

Old
06-15-2013, 10:51 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlockhart89 View Post
I've been a pretty avid (although not hardcore) gamer since my family got a Super Nintendo for Christmas at the age of 5. I've had one console exclusively for every generation since:

Super Nintendo/N64/Gamecube (questionable decision)/Xbox 360

For every generation (aside from the Gamecube) I've been completely satisfied in my decision not to purchase the Sony product. I was a very staunch supporter of Xbox 360 over the PS3. Both for online gaming and single player experiences. I also preferred the controller and functionality of the Xbox 360.

I had decided to buy the new Xbox almost regardless sight un-seen, until the absolute bomb Xbox decided to release.

I have absolutely nothing against Sony, they've done nothing to piss me off as a consumer, I've just always preferred the alternatives. Xbox One not only disappointed me in nearly every aspect of its presentation, but I feel like ultimately they've pissed off 3rd party developers as well.

I think this thing is almost destined to fail:
- 24 hour internet authentication
- peoples paranoia with Kinects privacy issues
- The lack of freedom to rent, lend and re-sell your own games
- The fact that their fancy new integrated TV features probably won't be supported by any providers other then a few large ones in the States
- Zero backwards compatibility (although PS4 is the same)
- An additional $100 to the price tag

Microsoft single handedly swayed me AWAY from their product. Most of my buddies gamed exclusively on the Xbox 360 as well, not a single one of them will be purchasing the Xbox One.

Microsoft did a phenomenal job of marketing the PS4, congrats!
If it helps, I transitioned from the XBOX 360 to the PS3 after my 2nd red-ring (and the victory of the blu-ray in the format wars). It has been a great decision. I'm not much of a hard-core gamer, but my PS3 has been drama free (and feature-rich) in a way my XBOX never was.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:58 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

This is disastrous for Microsoft. Not sure how this slipped through all the cracks of PR control. XB1 is going to bomb and it will effectively end their relevance in the gaming market for at least one generation.

Have to give credit to Nintendo though. They're staying in their niche market - and making lots of money doing it - while letting the big two fight it out, and both Sony and MS may very well piss off enough gamers that Nintendo could surprise with a big splash in 4 or 5 years.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
06-16-2013, 04:44 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
This is disastrous for Microsoft. Not sure how this slipped through all the cracks of PR control. XB1 is going to bomb and it will effectively end their relevance in the gaming market for at least one generation.

Have to give credit to Nintendo though. They're staying in their niche market - and making lots of money doing it - while letting the big two fight it out, and both Sony and MS may very well piss off enough gamers that Nintendo could surprise with a big splash in 4 or 5 years.
Nintendo does what it does and will continue to do it... if Sony and MS both **** up on the whole "mainstream" gamer front, the PC is what will pick up the scraps.

Old
06-16-2013, 09:00 AM
shogun99

It would be a sad day if Nintendo were to stop making home consoles. As for MS, they clearly beat out Sony during the 360?PS3 era. I think that they got to cocky and thought that the consumer will buy whatever is put out by them, where as Sony listened to the consumer and gave them what they wanted. I will be buying a PS4, I might buy an Xbox One once there are some really good exclusives for it. Before E3 I was planning on buying both but MS did a great job of making me not want to support their company.

Old
06-16-2013, 09:35 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
It would be a sad day if Nintendo were to stop making home consoles. As for MS, they clearly beat out Sony during the 360?PS3 era. I think that they got to cocky and thought that the consumer will buy whatever is put out by them, where as Sony listened to the consumer and gave them what they wanted. I will be buying a PS4, I might buy an Xbox One once there are some really good exclusives for it. Before E3 I was planning on buying both but MS did a great job of making me not want to support their company.
They actually only won North America. They had essentially identical sales figures

06-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Microsoft is the real life Skynet. And I am very against Skynet..and our extinction.

Old
06-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Microsoft is the real life Skynet. And I am very against Skynet..and our extinction.
That was the name of my 360 hard drive... And every PC I've ever owned lol

Old
06-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Haha. Actually I should say Microsoft is Cyberdyne Systems and the Xbox One is Skynet. It's self-aware. I don't know about the rest of you but imo Judgement Day is bad.

Old
06-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Bill Gates = Miles Dyson?

Old
06-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Bill Gates = Miles Dyson?
Gates isn't a part of Microsoft anymore, and is the biggest saint on the planet.

:/

(You do realist he's been GIVING all of his money into programs that help develop third world countries).

Old
06-16-2013, 10:44 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Gates isn't a part of Microsoft anymore, and is the biggest saint on the planet.

:/

(You do realist he's been GIVING all of his money into programs that help develop third world countries).
Dyson wasn't a bad guy. He just helped Cyberdyne in the development of Skynet. The correlation is that they are both "creators".

Old
06-16-2013, 10:46 PM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Dyson wasn't a bad guy. He just helped Cyberdyne in the development of Skynet. The correlation is that they are both "creators".
My mistake. Right you are.

^__^

Old
06-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
I will be "terminating" my allegiance to MS and switching to PS4.

Old
06-16-2013, 11:19 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
They actually only won North America. They had essentially identical sales figures
in terms of console wars, i believe NA is one of the most important.

In Asia no one really talks about the xbox, Sony has loyalty in that region.

Old
06-17-2013, 01:01 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

The further east you get the less popular the Xbox is. Xbox had America and the UK. Sony owned Europe and Asia.

Old
06-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

It's only a matter of time before Skyne...I mean the Xbox One sends back a terminator to eliminate the competition.

Old
06-17-2013, 09:13 AM
McNutty780

Destiny looks unreal.

Old
06-17-2013, 10:14 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNutty780 View Post
Destiny looks unreal.
Yup. That's going to be crazy.

My buddy showed me a trailer for Titanfall and the next Metal Gear Solid too. They look sick.

Pretty pumped. Kind of sucks that almost all the really good looking games aren't going to be launch titles though.

Old
06-17-2013, 11:35 AM
EchoesoftheEighties
Wat a N00bnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
The further east you get the less popular the Xbox is. Xbox had America and the UK. Sony owned Europe and Asia.
So true. Back in Leb, no one even knows what the Xbox is. It's Playstation and Nintendo territory. Mostly PS though.

Old
06-17-2013, 11:39 AM
AUAIOMRN

It sucks that PS+ will now be mandatory to play online multiplayer. "Hardcore" gamers won't care but it will seem like a waste for those of us that play offline 90% of the time and could go months without using the service. But I guess $50 a year isn't unreasonable (and things could certainly be worse).

Old
06-17-2013, 12:11 PM
McNutty780

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Yup. That's going to be crazy.

My buddy showed me a trailer for Titanfall and the next Metal Gear Solid too. They look sick.

Pretty pumped. Kind of sucks that almost all the really good looking games aren't going to be launch titles though.

HAven't looked @ Titanfall yet. I did see that gameplay vid for MGS though. Open world stealth is going to be amazing. I'm a huge fan of the MGS series (really should brush up on the story).

Old
06-17-2013, 12:36 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
It sucks that PS+ will now be mandatory to play online multiplayer. "Hardcore" gamers won't care but it will seem like a waste for those of us that play offline 90% of the time and could go months without using the service. But I guess $50 a year isn't unreasonable (and things could certainly be worse).
You also get tons of free content. It's not like Microsoft where all you're paying for is the ability to play online

Closed Thread