HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Video Game Talk (Part 2)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-19-2013, 01:56 PM
  #851
Perfect_Drug
Registered User
 
Perfect_Drug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,495
vCash: 500
Let me give one scenario where I think both Cloud and Always Online could be used (This is off the top of my head)

Imagine 2million+ simultaneous people in a single map FPS, that procedurally scales based on the number of people in the game.

20 unique factions (Or as many or as few as you want)


Imagine this is F2P. The only thing you get to buy are varieties of perfectly balanced items.
- You can buy speed at the cost of health.
- Buy weapon range at the cost of reload time
- Buy Weapon power, at the cost of firing rate.

etc.

Then there's over 200,000 completely unique custom made assets in this game, based on every single nuance you want to tweak on your character. Many being simply cosmetic.

How do you propose to make this game in your scenario without an always online cloud that distributes all the calculations?



Truth is, nobody knows what we can do with this yet. But I guaruntee it's powerful.

Perfect_Drug is online now  
Old
06-19-2013, 02:07 PM
  #852
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Let me give one scenario where I think both Cloud and Always Online could be used (This is off the top of my head)

Imagine 2million+ simultaneous people in a single map FPS, that procedurally scales based on the number of people in the game.

20 unique factions (Or as many or as few as you want)


Imagine this is F2P. The only thing you get to buy are varieties of perfectly balanced items.
- You can buy speed at the cost of health.
- Buy weapon range at the cost of reload time
- Buy Weapon power, at the cost of firing rate.

etc.

Then there's over 200,000 completely unique custom made assets in this game, based on every single nuance you want to tweak on your character. Many being simply cosmetic.

How do you propose to make this game in your scenario without an always online cloud that distributes all the calculations?



Truth is, nobody knows what we can do with this yet. But I guaruntee it's powerful.
Imagine I could punch the moon in half with a special boxing glove.
I guarantee that would be powerful.

Your thought is slightly more ridiculous than mine.

With that sort of thinking, "Always Online" sounds like an idea for the Xbox 1000. Not the Xbone.

Turrican* is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 02:12 PM
  #853
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,501
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
Imagine I could punch the moon in half with a special boxing glove.
I guarantee that would be powerful.

Your thought is slightly more ridiculous than mine.

With that sort of thinking, "Always Online" sounds like an idea for the Xbox 1000. Not the Xbone.
Why is it ridiculous?

Seedling is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 02:30 PM
  #854
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Why is it ridiculous?
Look at WoW for instance, that has the largest subscriber base. Has around 15K people at peak peak peak times.
Doesn't require you to "always be online".

Look at EVE. ONE SERVER. Holds what... Up tp 100,000 people?
Doesn't require you to "always be online".

So talking about a server with 2mil pop is pretty ridiculous. And it won't happen in the lifetime of the Xbone.

Always online is DRM. Plain and simple. Don't eat the ******** that M$ feeds you.

Turrican* is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 02:39 PM
  #855
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
Look at WoW for instance, that has the largest subscriber base. Has around 15K people at peak peak peak times.
Doesn't require you to "always be online".

Look at EVE. ONE SERVER. Holds what... Up tp 100,000 people?
Doesn't require you to "always be online".

So talking about a server with 2mil pop is pretty ridiculous. And it won't happen in the lifetime of the Xbone.

Always online is DRM. Plain and simple. Don't eat the ******** that M$ feeds you.
Yep, it's the only reason for Microsoft to implement it. I wouldn't consider an Xbone specifically for the anti-consumerism of the console.

SeriousBusiness is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 02:47 PM
  #856
The Nuge
Moderator
5-14-6-1
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,052
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
And yet they still run the show.
You do realize that after their launches, the Wii u is selling roughly half of what Sony averaged for years with the PS3 right? The Wii might have dominated the non gamer market last generation, but they're not running anything now. I know a grand total of one person with a Wii u and he doesn't even buy new games. He just plays old school ones

__________________
"The Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it" - dnicks17
The Nuge is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 02:50 PM
  #857
Perfect_Drug
Registered User
 
Perfect_Drug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,495
vCash: 500
Actually yeah, I got a reality check.

The Cloud is apparently bordering on useless due to really laggy connection speeds. 1.5megabits is barely the animation calculations on 4 characters.

:/



I completely retract everything about Xbone. It's looking like a garbage console.

Perfect_Drug is online now  
Old
06-19-2013, 02:56 PM
  #858
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,797
vCash: 500
Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/mi...-dr/1100-4673/

I never expected them to change their policies this quickly. Thought they'd have to get their ***** handed to them for a few months.

Eytinge is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 03:03 PM
  #859
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatMcKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 16,244
vCash: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
You do realize that after their launches, the Wii u is selling roughly half of what Sony averaged for years with the PS3 right? The Wii might have dominated the non gamer market last generation, but they're not running anything now. I know a grand total of one person with a Wii u and he doesn't even buy new games. He just plays old school ones
They still have the 3DS which is absolutely destroying the Vita. The former has sold 30 million worldwide while the latter I don't think has sold even 10 million worldwide.

The wii u is starting out rough but when Nintendo starts pumping out their best sellers like ssb and Mario kart their sales will be fine. Nintendo has a formula which has allowed them to stick around for so long. It might not beat the ps4 but they'll still be competitive.

GreatMcKeith is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 03:10 PM
  #860
The Nuge
Moderator
5-14-6-1
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,052
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/mi...-dr/1100-4673/

I never expected them to change their policies this quickly. Thought they'd have to get their ***** handed to them for a few months.
I'm curious if the damage is done, or if they will sell almost as many as the PS4, like with the PS3/360

The Nuge is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 03:23 PM
  #861
Perfect_Drug
Registered User
 
Perfect_Drug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eytinge View Post
microsoft to pull complete reversal on xbox one drm policies

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/mi...-dr/1100-4673/

i never expected them to change their policies this quickly. Thought they'd have to get their ***** handed to them for a few months.
c-c-c-c-combo breaker!!!!!!


Still though. $100 price difference is significant.

Perfect_Drug is online now  
Old
06-19-2013, 03:30 PM
  #862
Paralyzer
The Oilers Awaken
 
Paralyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
c-c-c-c-combo breaker!!!!!!


Still though. $100 price difference is significant.
Fine, we'll make a discount: $499.95 w/ GST

Paralyzer is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 03:33 PM
  #863
Perfect_Drug
Registered User
 
Perfect_Drug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,495
vCash: 500
Xbox 180

Perfect_Drug is online now  
Old
06-19-2013, 03:34 PM
  #864
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
They pretty much confirmed that everyone was right.
Guess they realized NOT SELLING ACTUAL CONSOLES > Piracy

Now I expect more of a console war. Although the cheaper but more powerful console, might still sway things in Sony's favour.

Turrican* is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 03:43 PM
  #865
CantHaveTkachev
Cant Have McTkachev
 
CantHaveTkachev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 5-14-6-1
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 1722
how quickly MS changed their tune once they realized that they were being lapped by PS4 in pre-sales

CantHaveTkachev is online now  
Old
06-19-2013, 03:47 PM
  #866
Ek het lief Woef
woof woof woof
 
Ek het lief Woef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 19,242
vCash: 128
Now that Microsoft has removed the DRM policies, it's not even a question as to what I'm getting

X1 exclusives >>> PS4 exclusives

Only way I'll get a PS4 is if a buddy or two gets it.

Ek het lief Woef is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 03:53 PM
  #867
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
how quickly MS changed their tune once they realized that they were being lapped by PS4 in pre-sales
I heard that the Gamestop at Southgate had more than twice the amount of preorders for the PS4 compared to the Xbox One.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Now that Microsoft has removed the DRM policies, it's not even a question as to what I'm getting

X1 exclusives >>> PS4 exclusives

Only way I'll get a PS4 is if a buddy or two gets it.
Meh, 100 dollar price tag to me is still substantial. And I don't play Halo or GoW anyways. I also like that Sony listened to the consumers, while Microsoft only changed their minds once they saw they were getting killed in preorder sales.

Plus the Kinect stuff isn't going away.

Eytinge is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 03:54 PM
  #868
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,607
vCash: 500
Still going to go with the cheaper, more powerful system. And generally my friends are going PS4 as well.

Over time the PS4 will put out better titles. They have a better machine, and are indie developer friendly.

Judging the systems based on games announced before the systems are even out is silly.

SeriousBusiness is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 03:59 PM
  #869
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015
 
EchoesoftheEighties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 22,102
vCash: 500
If KH3 and FF15 are on XB1 I'll consider getting it. Microsoft will have to do a LOT more to win me back. I'd like to see old Live members rewarded for their loyalty or something. And no mandatory Kinect. That thing is ****ing useless.

EchoesoftheEighties is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 03:59 PM
  #870
CantHaveTkachev
Cant Have McTkachev
 
CantHaveTkachev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 5-14-6-1
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Still going to go with the cheaper, more powerful system. And generally my friends are going PS4 as well.

Over time the PS4 will put out better titles. They have a better machine, and are indie developer friendly.

Judging the systems based on games announced before the systems are even out is silly.
this

PS4 is cheaper, more powerful, and I only need to buy one
plus the whole "kinect" thing hasn't been sorted out

also, much better exclusives IMO

CantHaveTkachev is online now  
Old
06-19-2013, 04:00 PM
  #871
Ek het lief Woef
woof woof woof
 
Ek het lief Woef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 19,242
vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post

Meh, 100 dollar price tag to me is still substantial. And I don't play Halo or GoW anyways. I also like that Sony listened to the consumers, while Microsoft only changed their minds once they saw they were getting killed in preorder sales.

Plus the Kinect stuff isn't going away.
True. Still expect Sony to do better because of price point. It was smart not to include the camera sensor. They've played their hand well, instead of having to react and make an about face like Microsoft they've put themselves in a win-win position here.

I'll probably splurge on a PS4 just for Naughty Dog. I don't know if I could give up Uncharted and The Last of Us sequels.


Glad the consumer still has some sway though. Microsoft really had no choice to act but I'm glad they are doing it so quickly. Didn't expect that.

Ek het lief Woef is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 04:12 PM
  #872
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,607
vCash: 500
The thing that worries me about Microsoft is that they clearly wanted DRM in their new console. After the Sim City fiasco, deciding to include "always on" DRM shows they felt very strongly about it.

They're saying now that they'll get rid of it, but I'm sure they're still very much focused on protecting their games from piracy with DRM. With that said, there are still ways of involving it. Would they dare revisit it after launch? It would only take a simple, subtle firmware patch.

Hopefully they don't. As it stands now, this is a rare win for the consumer.

SeriousBusiness is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 04:15 PM
  #873
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatMcKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 16,244
vCash: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
this

PS4 is cheaper, more powerful, and I only need to buy one
plus the whole "kinect" thing hasn't been sorted out

also, much better exclusives IMO
Other than kingdom hearts 3 there aren't any exclusives that interest me. And even then kingdom hearts has been done to death. Maybe if they throw a wreck it Ralph stage in there

GreatMcKeith is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 04:15 PM
  #874
fysloc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
There you have it folks, any argument for why always online will bring a better experience is tossed out the window. Clearly it was not in there for gaming purposes and MS just proved to us by removing it that it was for DRM.

That said, lets start a new debate now that always online is out of the way.

Xbox One = Get if you like shooters and don't play anything else.
PS4 = Get if you like RPG's/Adventure and almost everything else besides shooters.

I think thats a good oversimplification to be flamed on to get a debate going.

fysloc is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 04:26 PM
  #875
Oscar Acosta
Registered User
 
Oscar Acosta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,983
vCash: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
The thing that worries me about Microsoft is that they clearly wanted DRM in their new console. After the Sim City fiasco, deciding to include "always on" DRM shows they felt very strongly about it.

They're saying now that they'll get rid of it, but I'm sure they're still very much focused on protecting their games from piracy with DRM. With that said, there are still ways of involving it. Would they dare revisit it after launch? It would only take a simple, subtle firmware patch.

Hopefully they don't. As it stands now, this is a rare win for the consumer.
Oh yeah, they showed their cards of their intentions with the console and where they want the industry to go.

It will take a couple years proving this wrong and a 199.99 version of it before I return to my two system set up I have this gen.

Oscar Acosta is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.