HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preseason, CBJ vs. Caps 7PM 9/22/10- Yes, his name is Semin. Enough already edition

Old
09-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Robert
Foligno family

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Agree, Johansen played very well and cant wait till he makes this club because he is what we are missing, a center who can skate the puck in and set up trailers accurately.
If only he was 19 going on 20....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Pata93

Quote:
Arniel commenting on the Filatov-Brassard-Voracek line…
"I thought they did a lot of good things and created real good chances, they hit some goal posts and a crossbar. They have to find a way to bury chances, but I liked the way they created. I want them to be offensive and use their skills."
Wow Welcome to post-hitch era.

Pata93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

In the first period I noticed the Brass, Jake, Nik line over passing the puck and either not getting a shot or having the puck taken away. Brass had a couple of chances to shoot the puck from the dots, but hesitated skating himself out of a good shot. This will get better, but looking for the pretty goal and not shooting immediately are a couple of things the coaches will not like.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:36 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
He was a little weak at face-offs, and I'm not sure of his role on defense because he was playing more where our wingers usually play defensively and Umberger was sliding down into the slot to and down-low to cover. In the offensive zone however, he was better than anything we've ever seen a center do in Columbus.
The whole team seemed weak on face-offs tonight. I agree, Moore did NOT win the job tonight. Coach Arniel has a whole week of coaching material from tonight's game.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
If only he was 19 going on 20....
Yeah, he's got to go back and get some fine tuning in Portland. The kid is going to be exciting. I see now why Howson wanted him.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by pata26 View Post
Your comment should be framed because that's exactly what I want to hear... but that's just me-others may disagree.

Old
09-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Yeah, he's got to go back and get some fine tuning in Portland. The kid is going to be exciting. I see now why Howson wanted him.
I wanted Fowler and was shocked we passed on him but when other teams did as well I thought? Perhaps Scott Howson knows more than the fans...

We must be cautious with our 18 year olds, I remember last year how many around here lobbied for Moore to make the team but this season few think he will make the team out of training camp...

That said there are exceptions and Tyler Myers is proof...

Old
09-22-2010, 09:49 PM
jacks johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
The whole team seemed weak on face-offs tonight. I agree, Moore did NOT win the job tonight. Coach Arniel has a whole week of coaching material from tonight's game.
Weird, on the postgame they were really talking up Moore, and the offensive game he showed. Wish I could have seen the game

jacks johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyes1 View Post
Weird, on the postgame they were really talking up Moore, and the offensive game he showed. Wish I could have seen the game
Without seeing the game I can't comment on Moore, but what I can say is that post game media reports don't always agree with what I would say.

Old
09-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyes1 View Post
Yeah, maybe Moore did okay in the offensive zone, but his defensive coverage was sub-par to say the least. Even his offensive skills weren't anything great. I think it is just a case of the broadcasters showing a little homerism. I mean, we all really know Jared Boll's wrist shot isn't as good as it gets, right?

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Crede777
Deputized

I agree with what Doug said last page. Just got home from the game and I can tell you that 6-2 was not indicative of the game played by the Jackets. We outshot the Washington Capitals by a bunch, had a ton of missed opportunities and hit crossbars, and Varlamov was phenomenal (Holtby too considering his depth on the team).

A quick overview of player performance:

Derick Brassard - Grade: C - He played alright, just like a 2nd line center should. He was pretty light on the puck and on defense. Didn't turn it over too much, had a few nice shots and scoring chances, but overall wasn't spectacular. He couldn't win a faceoff to save his life. Basically he looked like he did under Arniel.

Ryan Johansen - Grade: A- - The best analysis I can give is a baby stallion who hasn't gotten his legs underneath him yet. I honestly don't think Johansen's playmaking ability could be any better. He made it look effortless tonight and had good chemistry with Nash. He has the hands, he has the skill, he has the hockey sense, he just needs to get his hockey legs matured and develop physically. As Arniel pointed out in the postgame conference, that's part of the natural player progression as they mature.

Sami Pahlsson - B- - He did nothing bad that I noticed and even had a few offensive opportunities. He was the responsible one defensively while others twirled and deked up a show.

Trevor Frischmon - C- - I didn't expect much and I wasn't disappointed. He's a 2nd line AHL center, not too fast, not too big, but not a terrible player.

Rick Nash - B - He's Rick Nash. He had a goal but it was a bounce-in off of a skate. I expected more, but then again he played with a physical edge and that was nice. He had great chemistry with Johansen.

RJ Umberger - C - He had an assist, played decently, but didn't look too spectacular. Given what I saw tonight I'd favor putting him in at the 2nd line center spot as opposed to Brassard. He had some gaffs and turnovers too which hurt my opinion of him this game, but at least he can win a faceoff.

Nikita Filatov - B+ - He was so happy when he scored that goal. Up until that point, he was on the verge of exploding due to pent up rage at missing opportunities. He missed a few open nets, hit a few crossbars, and was stymied by hot goalies. His play in his own was Huselius-like. He's not creating turn overs and is pokechecking, but we don't expect a massive backcheck and that's not what he gives. He also looked bigger. It was hard to tell which one was him on the ice going just by size.

Jakub Voracek - Grade: A+++ - Maybe I'm a homer, but Voracek is amazing. Period. He looked like he had glue on his stick tonight. He thought nothing of skating the puck right into the middle of Caps territory, spinning around, deking, and toe-dragging. They couldn't take the puck away from him. He played hard and backchecked harder. At one point Voracek was the first Jacket back (beating a Cap to the icing call) after taking a shot from the point. Speed, physicality, and a great pass is what Voracek showed today. Only thing he needs to work on is getting his wristshot (which is fine) up to the same, sick level as his passing.

Chris Clark - Grade: D - He was slow and not overly physical. While he did carry the puck pretty well, he had a number of turnovers in the neutral zone with passing. I am skeptical of his ability to play on Pahlsson's line against top forwards.

Mayorov - Grade: C - Some missed opportunities in the Caps end, he didn't particularly stand out. Some nice passing, a decent shot, but was very quiet. He should be a top-6 winger in Springfield this year.

Boll - Grade: C - It's Boll as you remember him. He got run into the where the halfboards meet the fullsized boards by 2 Caps players and looked like his arm was sore. He had a few missed hits, nothing huge.

Petr Straka - Grade: C- - Took a bad penalty, had a few turnovers, he still needs some ripening in the minors.

Defense

Fedor Tyutin - Grade: D - Played like crap. Had bad turnovers. Had problems skating the puck out of trouble. Also wasn't great in the Caps end. He played like a 3rd pairing defenseman. Realistically? I think he'd be best off with 2nd pairing minutes alongside someone like Hejda or Klesla.

John Moore - Grade: B+ - I disagree with Doug. I thought Moore was the most impressive defenseman out there tonight besides Hejda. He is a PMD through and through, able to cover the entire ice, lead some great rushes, and set up good chances in the Caps end. Needs to work in his own zone, and needs to be paired with someone like Hejda or Klesla.

Jan Hejda - I breathed a sigh of relief when he was out there. He played well and looked like the Hejda we know and love. He blocked a shot that was hard enough to reverberate a "pop" around the arena and then immediate stood in front of another one.

David Savard - Grade: B - Lead the team in +/- and TOI. Had some turnovers in his own zone. Didn't skate or pass as well as Moore but was decent.

Theo Ruth - Grade: C - Didn't impress but I didn't say "ew." He played like a 2nd pairing AHL defenseman and that's what we expected.

Dalton Prout - Grade: B- - Prout played physically and was responsible in the Jackets end. Has potential, but needs a year or two of development where he'll get lots of TOI.

Goaltenders
Steve Mason - C- - He got beat high glove side. Also he *****ed to the ref when Hejda knocked him down. He's got to be better than this as his inconsistency really hurts the team's momentum and confidence. He didn't look particularly fast or in position for most of the shots.

Machesny - F - How did he get in here? He sucked in Traverse city and he sucked here. Go back to the ECHL.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:11 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Filatov's goal (and the ensuing play that set it up) goes in the "It's Pretty...It's SO Pretty!" category.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Double post because...

Just wanted to add that THIS AIN'T YO DADDY'S JACKETS. They were twirling, deking, and toe dragging enough to make Hitch sick to his stomach. They outshot the Caps and Boudreau. This definitely was Filatov hockey. This was Voracek hockey. This is hockey you pay to watch. Provided Mason gets his ass in gear.

Old
09-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

For anyone that was there, any thoughts on the Caps that stood out?

Thanks ahead of time.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I agree with what Doug said last page. Just got home from the game and I can tell you that 6-2 was not indicative of the game played by the Jackets. We outshot the Washington Capitals by a bunch, had a ton of missed opportunities and hit crossbars, and Varlamov was phenomenal (Holtby too considering his depth on the team).

A quick overview of player performance:

Derick Brassard - Grade: C - He played alright, just like a 2nd line center should. He was pretty light on the puck and on defense. Didn't turn it over too much, had a few nice shots and scoring chances, but overall wasn't spectacular. He couldn't win a faceoff to save his life. Basically he looked like he did under Arniel.

Ryan Johansen - Grade: A- - The best analysis I can give is a baby stallion who hasn't gotten his legs underneath him yet. I honestly don't think Johansen's playmaking ability could be any better. He made it look effortless tonight and had good chemistry with Nash. He has the hands, he has the skill, he has the hockey sense, he just needs to get his hockey legs matured and develop physically. As Arniel pointed out in the postgame conference, that's part of the natural player progression as they mature.

Sami Pahlsson - B- - He did nothing bad that I noticed and even had a few offensive opportunities. He was the responsible one defensively while others twirled and deked up a show.

Trevor Frischmon - C- - I didn't expect much and I wasn't disappointed. He's a 2nd line AHL center, not too fast, not too big, but not a terrible player.

Rick Nash - B - He's Rick Nash. He had a goal but it was a bounce-in off of a skate. I expected more, but then again he played with a physical edge and that was nice. He had great chemistry with Johansen.

RJ Umberger - C - He had an assist, played decently, but didn't look too spectacular. Given what I saw tonight I'd favor putting him in at the 2nd line center spot as opposed to Brassard. He had some gaffs and turnovers too which hurt my opinion of him this game, but at least he can win a faceoff.

Nikita Filatov - B+ - He was so happy when he scored that goal. Up until that point, he was on the verge of exploding due to pent up rage at missing opportunities. He missed a few open nets, hit a few crossbars, and was stymied by hot goalies. His play in his own was Huselius-like. He's not creating turn overs and is pokechecking, but we don't expect a massive backcheck and that's not what he gives. He also looked bigger. It was hard to tell which one was him on the ice going just by size.

Jakub Voracek - Grade: A+++ - Maybe I'm a homer, but Voracek is amazing. Period. He looked like he had glue on his stick tonight. He thought nothing of skating the puck right into the middle of Caps territory, spinning around, deking, and toe-dragging. They couldn't take the puck away from him. He played hard and backchecked harder. At one point Voracek was the first Jacket back (beating a Cap to the icing call) after taking a shot from the point. Speed, physicality, and a great pass is what Voracek showed today. Only thing he needs to work on is getting his wristshot (which is fine) up to the same, sick level as his passing.

Chris Clark - Grade: D - He was slow and not overly physical. While he did carry the puck pretty well, he had a number of turnovers in the neutral zone with passing. I am skeptical of his ability to play on Pahlsson's line against top forwards.

Mayorov - Grade: C - Some missed opportunities in the Caps end, he didn't particularly stand out. Some nice passing, a decent shot, but was very quiet. He should be a top-6 winger in Springfield this year.

Boll - Grade: C - It's Boll as you remember him. He got run into the where the halfboards meet the fullsized boards by 2 Caps players and looked like his arm was sore. He had a few missed hits, nothing huge.

Petr Straka - Grade: C- - Took a bad penalty, had a few turnovers, he still needs some ripening in the minors.

Defense

Fedor Tyutin - Grade: D - Played like crap. Had bad turnovers. Had problems skating the puck out of trouble. Also wasn't great in the Caps end. He played like a 3rd pairing defenseman. Realistically? I think he'd be best off with 2nd pairing minutes alongside someone like Hejda or Klesla.

John Moore - Grade: B+ - I disagree with Doug. I thought Moore was the most impressive defenseman out there tonight besides Hejda. He is a PMD through and through, able to cover the entire ice, lead some great rushes, and set up good chances in the Caps end. Needs to work in his own zone, and needs to be paired with someone like Hejda or Klesla.

Jan Hejda - I breathed a sigh of relief when he was out there. He played well and looked like the Hejda we know and love. He blocked a shot that was hard enough to reverberate a "pop" around the arena and then immediate stood in front of another one.

David Savard - Grade: B - Lead the team in +/- and TOI. Had some turnovers in his own zone. Didn't skate or pass as well as Moore but was decent.

Theo Ruth - Grade: C - Didn't impress but I didn't say "ew." He played like a 2nd pairing AHL defenseman and that's what we expected.

Dalton Prout - Grade: B- - Prout played physically and was responsible in the Jackets end. Has potential, but needs a year or two of development where he'll get lots of TOI.

Goaltenders
Steve Mason - C- - He got beat high glove side. Also he *****ed to the ref when Hejda knocked him down. He's got to be better than this as his inconsistency really hurts the team's momentum and confidence. He didn't look particularly fast or in position for most of the shots.

Machesny - F - How did he get in here? He sucked in Traverse city and he sucked here. Go back to the ECHL.
Nice recap, every line...

Old
09-22-2010, 10:17 PM
wahsnairb

just got back from the game and my 5's are as follows

5 who stood out for the right reasons:

Nash - made chances when there didn't seem to be one, threw his body around, and even put up some solid time on the blue line when a d-man was out of position

Voracek - looked like the player who was closest to mid-season form and was passing all over them (whether close touch passes or weighted cross ice passes)

Filatov - was flying all over the ice, ripped one off the crossbar and put one in on a play where he just out-hustled the d-man.. with the exception of being out of position on some bad pinches, he honestly looked special

Johansen - if anyone looked special it was this lanky little kid who showed more creativity on the ice than anyone. i thought he would look so out of place with nash and umberger, but he was by far the 2nd best player on that line tonight and showed that with some polishing he will be able to play in this league.. and well

Savard - had to have had the most TOI because he was always out there and while other D were having miserable games, he was always playing smart. he didn't stand out, but it was a good thing in this game because a lot of others did.. which brings me to

5 who stood out for the wrong reasons:

Umberger - RJ looked like he took all last season off and he just didn't have it tonight. he was a turnover machine in pretty much all zones

Tyutin - if anyone made more mistakes (whether turnovers or penalties) than RJ, it was Tyutin, and some of his were far more costly. he was the worst player on the ice for me tonight

Boll - he was trying to get involved, but with missed checks and missed passes he was simply a non-factor

Machesney - honorable mention for worst on the ice. he found himself out of position from the moment he was put in the net. his D did not help him much at all, but he let in some softies to be kind.

Brassard - the F1 line was flying out there and overall played amazing together, but of the 3 there was one who looked like he was forcing the play a bit and that's Brass. he was over-passing all night.

We played much better than the 6-2 score and there were a lot more positives to me than negatives. Johansen, Filatov, Voracek, Savard, and Moore all surpassed my expectations and I hope that they continue to do so in the regular season! Can't wait for next game against the Pens.

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
Takes skill for Chimera to be -1 when his team wins 6-2

Well played, Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pata26 View Post
Great to hear - or did you mean that in a negative way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I wanted Fowler and was shocked we passed on him but when other teams did as well I thought? Perhaps Scott Howson knows more than the fans...

We must be cautious with our 18 year olds, I remember last year how many around here lobbied for Moore to make the team but this season few think he will make the team out of training camp...

That said there are exceptions and Tyler Myers is proof...
People did say the same thing about Myers two years ago when he was drafted - things like "too high", "will need 2-3 years before he's NHL ready" etc. I've seen them both play, and it's unfair to compare them ... but I will say that Johansen was further along at his draft date than Myers was. Take that for what it's worth - but I've been pumping Johansen all along, it's about time people (not just Jackets fans) started paying him some respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
For anyone that was there, any thoughts on the Caps that stood out?

Thanks ahead of time.
Matt Hendricks? (see box score)

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Thanks for the re-caps for those who were there ... keep them coming for those of us on the West Coast!

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
:
Matt Hendricks? (see box score)
Naw. His first goal was when Hejda knocked over Mason. Then his next two were on great feeds from (I think) Fleischmann and he beat Macrapsney.

Varlamov looked like an All-Star.

Old
09-22-2010, 10:33 PM
osurh18

Thoughts for the game....

For the first 2 periods it was clear that the D was trying to posses the puck and being patient breaking the puck out and bringing it back into the zone if nothing was open. It was also clear that our young D-Men are in need of a few good years in the AHL or back to Juniors. Their D coverage in the D-Zone was brutal. Plays coming out of the corners and below the hash marks ended up with no defense awarness. Individually, Moore can skate like the wind and is great in joining the play but he covers in the D-Zone like he is in juniors. Savard needs another year or two. At time he panicked with the puck and had some huge turnovers. Ruth actually looke somewhat decent in the defense zone but looked awful in the o-zone. Prout=project. He played a lot and had numerous clearing attempts up the middle and bad decisions in the zone

As for the fowards, the Kid-Line was great. Filatov did not back check on the 2nd goal, but he and Voracek we great together. Everytime that line took the ice it was instant offense. Voracek was a beast. Brassard looked a little slow compared to the two of them. Johansen looked good....surprising good. He and Nash had a nice give and go on the power play early on. Umberger played well (even though he missed two empty nets) but will ultimately be replaced by Filatov on the 2 lines. Boll and Clark seemed like wasted space to me.

Mason wasn't too sharp and the other goalie was brutal. ECHL level maybe.

osurh18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Pata93

Quote:

Great to hear - or did you mean that in a negative way?
Absolutely not in a negative way. I'm thrilled Jake can finally play in this kind of system, same for Filatov. Even Nash.

I'm happy for them and for us who will watch those games.

Pata93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Thanks for the re-caps for those who were there ... keep them coming for those of us on the West Coast!
Agreed on both parts

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by osurh18 View Post
Yes. I could feel it coming too. We spent 5 minutes in the Caps zone at the beginning of the game, putting up 6 shots really quickly. I could feel it "oh no, Mason hasn't seen a shot yet, the Caps are going to march down the ice and pot one top corner on him." It's always best when a goalie gets to see some nice beachball freebies to get warmed up and get his confidence up.

Instead, Flash sniped a bullet over Mason's slow glove hand. Then it became a game of "we're throwing the kitchen sink at this goalie, meanwhile our goalie lets a goal in on the first 2 shots he sees." Deflation.

Old
09-22-2010, 11:03 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osurh18 View Post
Thoughts for the game....

For the first 2 periods it was clear that the D was trying to posses the puck and being patient breaking the puck out and bringing it back into the zone if nothing was open. It was also clear that our young D-Men are in need of a few good years in the AHL or back to Juniors. Their D coverage in the D-Zone was brutal. Plays coming out of the corners and below the hash marks ended up with no defense awarness. Individually, Moore can skate like the wind and is great in joining the play but he covers in the D-Zone like he is in juniors. Savard needs another year or two. At time he panicked with the puck and had some huge turnovers. Ruth actually looke somewhat decent in the defense zone but looked awful in the o-zone. Prout=project. He played a lot and had numerous clearing attempts up the middle and bad decisions in the zone

As for the fowards, the Kid-Line was great. Filatov did not back check on the 2nd goal, but he and Voracek we great together. Everytime that line took the ice it was instant offense. Voracek was a beast. Brassard looked a little slow compared to the two of them. Johansen looked good....surprising good. He and Nash had a nice give and go on the power play early on. Umberger played well (even though he missed two empty nets) but will ultimately be replaced by Filatov on the 2 lines. Boll and Clark seemed like wasted space to me.

ECHL is being generous. Our Equipment Assistant, Jason Stypinski, was a better goalie in the ECHL than this guy is likely to be.

I agree with a LOT of what has been said already. Tyutin was awful. Moore has mad offensive skills but he was tentative on defense.

What I disagree with is this: I've always been a Jared Boll fan and thought he was terrible tonight. I thought Clark was better than described so far.
We shot too much from the perimeter and not from the slot, and we failed to finish an AWFUL lot of chances.

Last edited by leesmith: 09-22-2010 at 11:12 PM.
leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:30 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
ECHL is being generous. Our Equipment Assistant, Jason Stypinski, was a better goalie in the ECHL than this guy is likely to be.
I thought Ski was a forward.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote