HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preseason, CBJ vs. Caps 7PM 9/22/10- Yes, his name is Semin. Enough already edition

Old
09-23-2010, 11:58 AM
JacketsFanWest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
Well apparently he remains here above Archibald/Madaisky and even Straka/Smith....
The players cut all are too young to play in the AHL and weren't going to make the Jackets this year. No sense in them sticking around.

Dalton Prout was just drafted this year, but he's already 20 and could play in the AHL. Although, he likely will return to juniors as an overager unless he outplays the glut of young defensemen headed to Springfield.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:26 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I thought both goalies played very well for the Caps and Semin was in the middle of everything they did. Much of what Hendricks and Fleishman accomplished resulted from his play. To me, he was clearly the best Cap on the ice and demonstrated why he's held in such high regard.
i agree, i thought the 3 best players for the caps were varlamov, fleischmann, and semin.. (with an honorable mention to holtby when he came in for varlamov)

i thought semin was coasting and was still better than a lot of guys out there

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Thanks folks, can you send them along to cbjCall2Arms@gmail.com
didn't get many good ones...i'll shoot them over to you this weekend tho...i'll try for better on tuesday

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
More and more I'm getting the impression that the big difference between Tyutin and Hejda is that while Hejda can make up for having a bad or substandard partner, Tyutin can't - and it makes him look bad in the process, because he keeps trying to do so and failing on his own assignments as a result.

Pair Tyutin with someone reliable and I suspect he becomes an Epic Badass.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Skating Tripods

Tyutin's biggest problem, IMO, is that he's not a number one defenseman and is forced in to playing like one. He's a pretty solid second pairing guy. It's easy for him to look bad because 80-85% of his shifts are against guys he shouldn't be assigned to shut down. But, it is what it is and he still has to perform.

I'm a Sabres fan since '99, and Henrik Tallinder had this exact same problem when BUF thrust him in to that role. He found a way to adapt to it and really became one of their top players 4 or 5 years ago. Tallinder's four years older than Tyutin, so there's still some hope that Tyutin can become a player that can elevate his game to play the other team's top line.

I didn't see the game so I can't generally comment on anything. I see the shot discrepancy and I have to ask. Were they high percentage shots? More often than not, I would think the Jackets taking 40 shots would help them produce a few more goals. Almost all of the shots came from the forwards, so that's a positive. But were they from low percentage scoring areas outside the dots and above the circles?

Skating Tripods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
More and more I'm getting the impression that the big difference between Tyutin and Hejda is that while Hejda can make up for having a bad or substandard partner, Tyutin can't - and it makes him look bad in the process, because he keeps trying to do so and failing on his own assignments as a result.

Disagree with this. I don't think it's a coincidence that Methot stopped the suckage about the time he was put back with Tyutin. Hell, I'll even argue that Tyutin has helped Klesla look better.

09-23-2010, 01:11 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skating Tripods View Post
Tyutin's biggest problem, IMO, is that he's not a number one defenseman and is forced in to playing like one. He's a pretty solid second pairing guy. It's easy for him to look bad because 80-85% of his shifts are against guys he shouldn't be assigned to shut down. But, it is what it is and he still has to perform.

I'm a Sabres fan since '99, and Henrik Tallinder had this exact same problem when BUF thrust him in to that role. He found a way to adapt to it and really became one of their top players 4 or 5 years ago. Tallinder's four years older than Tyutin, so there's still some hope that Tyutin can become a player that can elevate his game to play the other team's top line.

I didn't see the game so I can't generally comment on anything. I see the shot discrepancy and I have to ask. Were they high percentage shots? More often than not, I would think the Jackets taking 40 shots would help them produce a few more goals. Almost all of the shots came from the forwards, so that's a positive. But were they from low percentage scoring areas outside the dots and above the circles?
Yes, a lot of those shots were: 1.) from the perimeter; 2.) above the circles; and 3.) whacking away at loose pucks.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:18 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skating Tripods View Post

Plenty of the shots were quality scoring chances, TS, they just didn't cash in on them. Several were missed open nets (RJ had one of those), clangs (Nikki was just high with a one-timer off a nice feed from, I think, Brass), or being just a fraction late to pull the trigger (I'm thinking of Brassard, here). As for Tyutin, he doesn't seem to handle being pressured very well, especially early in the season. Let's hope he settles down soon.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Disagree with this. I don't think it's a coincidence that Methot stopped the suckage about the time he was put back with Tyutin. Hell, I'll even argue that Tyutin has helped Klesla look better.
I'm inclined to believe that that says more about Methot than it does Tyutin. Heck, they could both be cut from the same cloth - they can't handle partner assignments, but give 'em just their own to worry about and it's all good.

Meanwhile, I'm also still wondering whether or not Savard's twenty-six minutes of +1 can be attributed to The Black Hole Of Prague, himself, or a combination of both badass factors.

Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Did Wilson play last night?

Kid is a good one. Good two way game, good speed. Great hockey smarts, two time winner of the Calder Cup with Hershey. He got screwed there last year, unfair situation, but he dealt with the adversity well. Hoping he sticks with the Jackets.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Skating Tripods

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Yes, a lot of those shots were: 1.) from the perimeter; 2.) above the circles; and 3.) whacking away at loose pucks.
Thanks. pete's post right after your mentions the missed opportunities on non-shots.

One of the biggest problems facing this team going forward is that, except for Nash and Umberger, their scoring threats don't like to go in to high traffic areas. Voracek's getting better with it, but Brassard and Filatov have no interest. When I saw Filatov play up here with Syracuse a couple times, I'm not sure he entered the low slot once. Not even to attempt to deflect a point shot.

Plenty of things to work on. We just have to hope Arniel gets them to work on those things while keeping his up-tempo ideology.

Skating Tripods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

Tyutin's suckage lastnight was his own fault. He was terrible, the worst I've ever seen him play. I said probably 5 times last night, "Come on Tyutin you are supposed to be the veteran out there."

Doug19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:32 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Tyutin's suckage lastnight was his own fault. He was terrible, the worst I've ever seen him play. I said probably 5 times last night, "Come on Tyutin you are supposed to be the veteran out there."
we wanted to move up to the upper bowl just so we couldn't see tyutin playing so badly as well.

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
The defense is going to be what stops us from getting into the playoffs, unless there's a change in personnel. I don't care if you believe it or not, but it's true.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
The defense is going to be what stops us from getting into the playoffs, unless there's a change in personnel. I don't care if you believe it or not, but it's true.
It's an area of concern no doubt about it... not that we didn't know it. Hedja, Tyutin, Klesla and Commodore are key.., problem is none are #1 defenseman on the top ten teams in the league.

We are going to have to deal with it though because I doubt Howson is going to do much about it, he's very aware of the Souray situation but even if he makes that trade I'm not so sure it will improve the defense much.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Xoggz22

Some random thoughts from last nights game. Just one man's opinion....

Savard - kid can pass and has pretty good poise with the puck but if he can't pick up the pace he won't be an NHL player. Seemed like he was skating in cement last night. First pro game so I'll give him a pass. He has skills but the skating needs some work

Ruth - beaten to the outside on a few occassions - really bad on the 6th goal. Seems like he's got a little time to get up to game speed but overall I didn't think he stood out - good or bad. He looks more like a bottom pairing possible PK guy in the future.

Moore - hard to gauge since he was paired with Prout. skating is excellent, liked the way he jumped in the play. Had some terrific passes and could easily skate the puck out of trouble. Just needs some time but he showed a lot of positives in my opinion. top 3 type guy in my book

Prout - OK...how was he not sent back down today? I commented on him the first 10 min of camp and it was confirmed last night. I don't see any way he sees a CBJ or even a Springfield sweater. no poise, poor skating and didn't excel in anything. Nuf said.

Tyutin - was in mid-season form for 2009. OUCH. he looked terrible. I'm hoping it's just a slow start to preseason. As a notoriously slow starter, I'd be playign him in every game to get him going. He was slow, bad decisions, poor puck movement...not a good game

Hejda - I know this will offend many but I don't see how he's going to fit into the "new system". He refuses to shoot and I'm certain the offensive blue line was 6 ft tall with an electric fence. I'm worried about Jan. It's early, I know but he looks really scared when he's in the offensive zone.

Mayorov - I actually thought he did a reasonable job on the boards and had a few nice plays. Has a ways to go but he didn't look out of place in my opinion. wasn't flashy or "look at me" visible but I don't recall anything horrible from him

Brassard - SHOOT THE PUCK! passed on 2-3 excellent chances. made good passes but he needs to shoot or he's not going to stick around in my opinion. not good in the faceoff dot but I do think he looked better than last year. Clearly has skill and can skate well but he needs to think shoot first some times. I think that would open the ice up for him.

Filatov - thought he looked good overall. held the puck well. shot the puck. even saw him go down to block a shot and tried to play along the wall some. He'll need to learn when to peal off and head back to our zone but overall a pretty good game.

Voracek - looked good to me. Had 1-2 no look backhand passes in our end that didn't go to a CBJ player but other than that he looks ready for a big year

Clark - can we get a bag of pucks? Sorry but he's got to be incredible in the locker room to hold a spot in my opinion. I know we wont' be able to move him but he just does nothing for me and didn't dispell that last night.

The rest were pretty blah. Pahlson won faceoffs and was a good defensive zone guy. Nash had some better stick skills for this early in the pre-season. Mason - no chance on one goal, the other he'll get by the end of pre-season.

McCheesey (Goalie ) He looked much better in the 3rd after he got over the nervousness but I hope to god he doesn't have a spot in our top 4 goalies this year....

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Hejda is a defensive necessity. Arniel can't forego defense altogether and just rely on Mason to make beautiful saves. Hejda blocks shots and plays physically while the rest of the team focuses on skill. That's fine by me, but SOMEONE has to be there to do it.

Many people seem to be agreeing with my earlier assessment about Tyutin that I mentioned in the Souray thread. Tyutin is not a top pairing defenseman and cannot be relied upon to compensate for his partner defensively. He simply makes too many dumb plays in his own zone. He needs to be paired with someone like Klesla, Commodore (08-09 year) or Hejda.

I don't know why they insisted on playing Mayorov on the 3rd line in Columbus and in Syracuse. We'll see if he's there in Springfield too, however I didn't think he was projected to be a physical guy.

Washington fans got pissy when I brought up the fact that Columbus out possessed them and outshot them, which is something their team is going to need to fix especially against better teams.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:39 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Washington fans got pissy when I brought up the fact that Columbus out possessed them and outshot them, which is something their team is going to need to fix especially against better teams.
Generally speaking when you show up on an opposing team's boards and drop a deuce on their team after a preseason game that they won in a walk you are going to get a little blow back. Just sayin'. Was that really necessary?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
i agree, i thought the 3 best players for the caps were varlamov, fleischmann, and semin.. (with an honorable mention to holtby when he came in for varlamov)

i thought semin was coasting and was still better than a lot of guys out there
Yeah but that's not terribly hard for Semin. He's a top level talent, especially when lined up with other high production forwards.

I agree though. Hendricks' performance, I felt, was simply the product of Semin + Flash + being in the right place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Generally speaking when you show up on an opposing team's boards and drop a deuce on their team after a preseason game that they won in a walk you are going to get a little blow back. Just sayin'. Was that really necessary?
I didn't drop a deuce. I gave an indepth overview of the Caps team that was iced last night. Most of my comments were positive about the players. I then proceeded to add constructive criticism by pointing out the fact that they were out possessed and out shot by fair margins, which is something they need to fix. In preseason games, the score is secondary to how things are going on the ice. You're not necessarily out there to win, you're out there to test players and systems.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:58 PM
txpd

i see. you felt compelled.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Telling you the truth? Absolutely, if the rolls were reversed I would want to hear the same. I don't really see what is so difficult about taking constructive criticism. A lot of us were at the game and 99.99% of the Caps fans weren't. That is what we saw, you didn't see it, take it or leave it I guess. Usually that is what happens in pre-season games you can't see, the opposing fans tell you there thoughts for reference, but I see the Cap fans are even more fragile in the mind than us Blue Jacket fans.

Doug19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:51 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Telling you the truth? Absolutely, if the rolls were reversed I would want to hear the same. I don't really see what is so difficult about taking constructive criticism. A lot of us were at the game and 99.99% of the Caps fans weren't. That is what we saw, you didn't see it, take it or leave it I guess. Usually that is what happens in pre-season games you can't see, the opposing fans tell you there thoughts for reference, but I see the Cap fans are even more fragile in the mind than us Blue Jacket fans.
It's just hard for them to comprehend how terrible their team is, historically.

No Ovechkin = no President's trophy.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Case in point as to why I don't go posting on other teams' boards though. Last season I posted a prospect update on Mitch Wahl on the Calgary Flames board, and the first responder did nothing but blast me and talk about how I was just trying to boost my "HFBoards Rep".

Thick-headedness prevails, unless you are a regular on some of those boards.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:18 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
Thick-headedness prevails...
In general, that's all that need be said.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote