HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Columbus-Dallas (Mid season)

Old
09-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Columbus-Dallas (Mid season)

If the Stars struggle a bit and the Jackets show signs of being in the playoff race would this trade make sense

To Stars
C Derick Brassard

To Blue Jackets
C Brad Richards

Jackets get a #1 C while the Stars pickup a young C to go with there young forwards moving forward

I think the Jackets could get Richards resigned longterm and he could be a great setup man for Nash

Anyone see something like this possibly happening?

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Boromir
Prince of Gondor

vCash: 500
Columbus is willing to take a gamble with Richards, and is okay with the possibility of loosing Brassard for nothing? I would think that if the Stars are out of playoff contention and haven't talked about an extension with Richards then this would almost be an automatic yes.

Boromir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:12 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

No, the Jackets wouldn't risk losing Brassard to get the possibility of a long term Brad Richards on the decline.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 50
i think in theory it would work if dallas cant get him to resign but can colombus take on that much salary? im not going to pretend to know both teams because i dont but the jackets upgrade their center position and bring in a fantastic center and the stars lose salary and take back a great young center.

it would suck if the jackets lost brassard and richards didnt re-sign though.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Doug19

Yes, and I feel if the Jackets wanted to they could resign him. They were one of the teams he was willing to go to at the trade deadline.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:29 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Wasn't Richards supposed to be a Blue Jacket, then Tampa basically screwed them over and traded him to Dallas?

If that's true, what was the package going back to Tampa? Couldn't have been anything good considering what they got in the first place.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:43 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
Wasn't Richards supposed to be a Blue Jacket, then Tampa basically screwed them over and traded him to Dallas?

If that's true, what was the package going back to Tampa? Couldn't have been anything good considering what they got in the first place.
This is a new one. I've heard of him supposedly going to Vancouver but never that it was Columbus, and definitely never that it was all but done until Tampa backed out and "screwed" Richards by going to Dallas. Btw, that last phrase is ridiculous. Tampa screwed Richards all the way to an immediate trip to the Conference Finals.

Say what you will about the lack of success in Dallas the last couple of seasons (of which Richards is not devoid of responsibility), but in the longrun Dallas as a franchise has proven to be capable of winning to a degree that Columbus wishes they could get to.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
This is a new one. I've heard of him supposedly going to Vancouver but never that it was Columbus, and definitely never that it was all but done until Tampa backed out and "screwed" Richards by going to Dallas. Btw, that last phrase is ridiculous. Tampa screwed Richards all the way to an immediate trip to the Conference Finals.

Say what you will about the lack of success in Dallas the last couple of seasons (of which Richards is not devoid of responsibility), but in the longrun Dallas as a franchise has proven to be capable of winning to a degree that Columbus wishes they could get to.
He's not saying Tampa screwed Richards. He's saying Tampa screwed Columbus. They had 3 deals on the table; one from Dallas, one from Columbus, and one from Vancouver, and all 3 city's outlets were reporting they were close. Tampa decided Smith was the best piece they were going to get and traded Richards to Dallas. No need for the hostility

Ambassador Of Fun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

As for the deal... I mean, I wouldn't hate it, but I'd rather see if the Stars can get a high end defensive prospect like Moore

Ambassador Of Fun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 04:20 PM
BeaverSports

I just don't see the Stars trading Brad Richards. He's only 30, he has good chemistry to mentor the young guns, and there's a new owner coming in. I'm sure they'll work it out.

Also, I think part of the scenario when Tampa was trading him, if I'm not mistaken, was that he actually accepted a trade to Dallas, but I'm not sure he would have to some of the other rumoured destinations.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:

Wow, you can't read. Richards wasn't the one getting screwed. Also it should be noted that EVERY franchise is capable of winning. Just some have as of late and some haven't.

Anyways, I do feel that this would be a good trade midseason if Brassard were having another mediocre year and Dallas was pretty far out of playoff contention. I would be fairly confident in Howson's ability to re-sign Richards since Columbus was one of the cities (as mentioned before) that Richards was willing to go to.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 04:34 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhicksnightmare View Post
He's not saying Tampa screwed Richards. He's saying Tampa screwed Columbus. They had 3 deals on the table; one from Dallas, one from Columbus, and one from Vancouver, and all 3 city's outlets were reporting they were close. Tampa decided Smith was the best piece they were going to get and traded Richards to Dallas. No need for the hostility
Out of curiousity, do you know what the trades were?

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Doug19

Columbus had the final say whether or not he would be a Blue Jacket. Tampa wanted a goalie and gave Columbus the final shot to match the Dallas offer, but Columbus wouldn't add Leclaire or Mason. Mason was the future and Leclaire was supposed to be the present for the next 3-4 years. Looking back now, you absolutely make that trade, but 20-20 right.

Quote:

No, it was Columbus who had the chance to match any offer.

Old
09-22-2010, 04:41 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Even if Richards departs, Dallas won't be looking for a C. The whole reason that we were shopping Riberio this offseason was because the organization is high on Benn playing Center, and we have a logjam already. If we do trade Richards at the deadline it'll be for picks and high end D prospects, I'd hope.

Also doesn't Brassard HATE James Neal? Or is that another Jacket?

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Even if Richards departs, Dallas won't be looking for a C. The whole reason that we were shopping Riberio this offseason was because the organization is high on Benn playing Center, and we have a logjam already. If we do trade Richards at the deadline it'll be for picks and high end D prospects, I'd hope.

Also doesn't Brassard HATE James Neal? Or is that another Jacket?
Dorsett hates..HATES Neal. I haven't heard Brassard say anything bad about Neal.

Old
09-22-2010, 04:44 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Dorsett hates..HATES Neal. I haven't heard Brassard say anything bad about Neal.
There you go. I knew it was one of the Jackets Neal had had interactions with. I knew Brassard threw his shoulder fighting Neal in '08, and Dorsett was the guy Neal boarded last season. Makes sense.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
There you go. I knew it was one of the Jackets Neal had had interactions with. I knew Brassard threw his shoulder fighting Neal in '08, and Dorsett was the guy Neal boarded last season. Makes sense.
Allow for me to clarify:
Boll - Close friends with Neal.
Dorsett - Hates Neal.
Brassard - Afraid of Neal.

Old
09-23-2010, 12:54 AM
Dominic Roussel
Adios HF

vCash: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Allow for me to clarify:
Boll - Close friends with Neal.
Dorsett - Hates Neal.
Brassard - Afraid of Neal.
The many sides of James Neal.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:37 AM
Parise09*

Richards +Nash.....I'd KILL to see that combo.

Say what you want about Richards being overpaid, but he's still one of the premier playmakers in the league and could get Nash to score 50 Goals and finally break out.

Parise09* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 07:50 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Presumably this is labeled "mid-season" to allow for whether or not Dallas is in the playoff picture or not. But of course that brings into the mix the possibility that Brassard might start playing like the player he was drafted to be. (The likelihood of that can be debated, I suppose - personally I'm going to have to be convinced - but for the sake of this discussion...)

Stupid variables. Stupid human element.

Old
09-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Nope.

Injury quashed season followed by a 9 goaler for a career .91 PPG center, whose only been below 60 points 1 season where he played 56 games. Richards has amazing durability minus the 56 game season in 2008/09. A decline for him is the point production Nash just had this season. You need to add, or bring the big LW/RWer into the talk. Richards is not old at 30 he's under 4 years older than Nash and on the average plays more games per year than him and puts up more points.

So Brunnstrom (he had a good first year and is younger too) for Nash anyone?

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:26 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Richards is a very complete player. I don't care what guys the Stars have coming up through the system. If they lose Richards they're going to take a step back for a few seasons. Highly under rated player IMO.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Casey 91 View Post
Nope.

Injury quashed season followed by a 9 goaler for a career .91 PPG center, whose only been below 60 points 1 season where he played 56 games. Richards has amazing durability minus the 56 game season in 2008/09. A decline for him is the point production Nash just had this season. You need to add, or bring the big LW/RWer into the talk. Richards is not old at 30 he's under 4 years older than Nash and on the average plays more games per year than him and puts up more points.

Hmmm... obsessive love of Richards, complete outright dismissal of Brassard, subtle unnecessary jab at Nash... TW? Is that you?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Casey 91 View Post
I think you're in denial about the fact that Dallas may be looking at moving Richards due to his cost and age. It's a hypothetical thread where Dallas is struggling or out of the playoffs and are looking to move Richards at the trade deadline.

Plus, what would be the point of trading Nash to acquire Richards? We're not after Richards for Richards' sake, we're after him so he can set up Nash.

Last edited by Crede777: 09-23-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old
09-23-2010, 03:13 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Wow, you can't read. Richards wasn't the one getting screwed. Also it should be noted that EVERY franchise is capable of winning. Just some have as of late and some haven't.
My bad. I did misread that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhicksnightmare View Post
I obviously misread the post I was quoting. For that I'm sorry. Taken in context of what I thought I read though my statement wasn't particularly hostile. My bad folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Columbus had the final say whether or not he would be a Blue Jacket. Tampa wanted a goalie and gave Columbus the final shot to match the Dallas offer, but Columbus wouldn't add Leclaire or Mason. Mason was the future and Leclaire was supposed to be the present for the next 3-4 years. Looking back now, you absolutely make that trade, but 20-20 right.

No, it was Columbus who had the chance to match any offer.
Fair enough. If this were the case then it wasn't exactly like Tampa screwed Columbus. Tampa asked for something Columbus didn't want to part with.

This may be an exercise in semantics, but if Tampa had a list of demands and Columbus simply didn't want to comply with those demands, then ultimately Tampa had the final say over where Richards was going.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote