HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Broons at the Panthers in Rochester

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2010, 09:16 AM
zeroG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
During the live chat on GR's blog, he mentioned that he thinks the team wants to extend McCabe albeit at a discounted rate and apparently the feeling is mutual about extending. I kinda hope thats not true as the Panthers could really use an upgrade on an aging McCabe at this point.
they probably aren't concerned about upgrading, they are probably concerned about his presence in the room and what his personality type adds. if they are considering extending him, they might be worried that they don't have anybody in the pipeline with his type of personality. and you need that.

Old
09-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
they probably aren't concerned about upgrading, they are probably concerned about his presence in the room and what his personality type adds. if they are considering extending him, they might be worried that they don't have anybody in the pipeline with his type of personality. and you need that.
Wonders never cease. I completely agree with you on this Zero...

Old
09-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
After this game, Arnason was released from tryout and Clay Wilson sent to minors (assuming he clears waivers, which come on, he will).

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Old
09-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Tooth Rez

crappy recap vid from Boston skips over both of Booth's goals

edit: AND only showed the first two seconds of the scrap with Peters

Last edited by Tooth Rez: 09-24-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old
09-24-2010, 11:48 AM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Here's aforementioned crappy vid:

http://www.csnne.com/09/23/10/Bruins...09&feedID=3352

IMO Ellerby's "turnover" wasn't as egregious as it was made out to be. He ran into a fellow panther skater in front of him a bit.

Old
09-24-2010, 12:07 PM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post

IMO Ellerby's "turnover" wasn't as egregious as it was made out to be. He ran into a fellow panther skater in front of him a bit.
That's a pretty homerific video. Way to not show Booth's goals.

Old
09-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Hip to be Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
It's gonna be a fun season with you around.

So just to be safe, and to hopefully keep you from annoyingly complaining about the team no matter what happens, do you want to make the playoffs, or get a top 2/3 pick? Or do you just not want to fall in between?

Please pick, because at this rate you're just going to troll every GDT regardless of the outcome.
Troll? You're calling me a troll because of one comment? That's ridiculous. You should probably get some evidence so your claim doesn't look as pathetic as it does right now. Just a suggestion. And have you been watching the past 10 years? The Panthers blow leads the majority of the season or else we would have had more success in the last decade. That's why I said that.. In the past ten years our win/loss ratio is horrid. That's my evidence to my claim. You want numbers? Go to espn.com/nhl click on standings and search through years 09, 08, 07, 06, 05, 04, 03, 02.. In other words.. same old Panthers. I have every right to complain as much as I want on these boards. The same rights you possess. You want me to pick? Ok, I choose to not pick and to continue to express my opinion the way I want to..

Old
09-24-2010, 02:21 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
I want us to win the cup this year.

Old
09-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
Troll? You're calling me a troll because of one comment? That's ridiculous. You should probably get some evidence so your claim doesn't look as pathetic as it does right now. Just a suggestion. And have you been watching the past 10 years? The Panthers blow leads the majority of the season or else we would have had more success in the last decade. That's why I said that.. In the past ten years our win/loss ratio is horrid. That's my evidence to my claim. You want numbers? Go to espn.com/nhl click on standings and search through years 09, 08, 07, 06, 05, 04, 03, 02.. In other words.. same old Panthers. I have every right to complain as much as I want on these boards. The same rights you possess. You want me to pick? Ok, I choose to not pick and to continue to express my opinion the way I want to..
Troll is probably going to far, but don't act like 98% of your posts aren't negative.

But i'm not gonna comment on it unless it REALLLY bugs me. Otherwise, i'll just ignore you.

Old
09-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
And we've had hyped up goalies dominate a European league come here before and play terrible. I'm not saying Markstrom will. I expect him to be very good. But to think it's not possible that he will struggle is pretty ridiculous.
Who? Salak? He wasn't even the best goalie in the SM-Liiga, which is a weaker league. Not a good comparison. Markstrom is head and shoulders above Salak. Sure it's possible he struggles, I never said otherwise. But to think that Panthers fans are hyping him up for no apparent reason is ridiculous. What he's already accomplished at the age of 20 in the SEL and international play most goalies never will. And you think we should treat him just like any other goaltending prospect?

Old
09-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post

LOL yeah that was as much his teammates' fault as his for skating right into his lane.

And did anyone catch Gudbranson knock down some random Bruin just for the hell of it after the 2nd goal out of frustration? Shy about being a rookie? I don't think so.

Old
09-24-2010, 03:30 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Few observations...

Gudbranson was one of the best players on the ice. He looked incredibly comfortable. He made two strong outlet passes. One led to a breakaway, the other should have. It doesn't look like he needs any more time in juniors.

Plante was spectacular. 3 awesome saves. There's no guarantee that Markstrom is even 3 on the depth chart. It'll be a battle.

Ellerby was pretty awful, other than his nice hit on Lucic. He barely saw the ice in the first 2 periods. He tried to skate around someone in the defensive zone and nearly caused a breakaway. Played more in the third, but had an absolutely awful turnover right in the slot that directly lead to Boston's second goal. He may have bulked up, but he still turns the puck over.
i just saw the replay and you just made it seem flat out way worse than it was...... thank whoever went in front of him like that. sure it was his fault also but that was not awful more like unfortunate.

Old
09-24-2010, 03:31 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
LOL yeah that was as much his teammates' fault as his for skating right into his lane.

And did anyone catch Gudbranson knock down some random Bruin just for the hell of it after the 2nd goal out of frustration? Shy about being a rookie? I don't think so.
LOL i saw that. that kid is going to be a monster.

Old
09-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:

Hah, yeah. I was thinking, it's cool if we get scored on as long as half of the opposing team's players get laid out right afterwards.

Old
09-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Southern Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
^^^ This is pretty classic troll right there. Way to prove his point.

Old
09-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Nice catch

Old
09-24-2010, 05:22 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Who? Salak? He wasn't even the best goalie in the SM-Liiga, which is a weaker league. Not a good comparison. Markstrom is head and shoulders above Salak. Sure it's possible he struggles, I never said otherwise. But to think that Panthers fans are hyping him up for no apparent reason is ridiculous. What he's already accomplished at the age of 20 in the SEL and international play most goalies never will. And you think we should treat him just like any other goaltending prospect?
No, another goalie back in the 90's. Forever known as one of the worst in Amerks history. He had won all sorts of awards back over in Europe. I expect big things from Markstrom, but you never know.

And how was that Ellerby's teammates fault? Ellerby skated the puck directly into his skates. It was awful. He is responsible for the puck when he has it in the defensive zone. After this post, I'm done ever mentioning Ellerby again. You guys can believe what you want. Sit there and expect big things, it's not happening.

Old
09-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
No, another goalie back in the 90's. Forever known as one of the worst in Amerks history. He had won all sorts of awards back over in Europe. I expect big things from Markstrom, but you never know.

And how was that Ellerby's teammates fault? Ellerby skated the puck directly into his skates. It was awful. He is responsible for the puck when he has it in the defensive zone. After this post, I'm done ever mentioning Ellerby again. You guys can believe what you want. Sit there and expect big things, it's not happening.
Well, i am.

Ellerby is supposed to play tomorrow (3rd game in a row) against the Bruins.

Old
09-24-2010, 05:59 PM
zeroG

looked like it might've been reino who swung in front of him. hard to say from that little clip but perhaps ellerby should've tapped it up to the swinging forward. wouldn't put that totally on him though, at least not from what we could see in the video.

isn't really worthy of a new thread, so i thought i'd post here that i swung by practice today at northeastern. caught the tail end of the first group, which included a lot of the new faces (incl markie) as well as rusty. came back to see the 2nd group (clemmer and vokie along with most of the vets plus guds and ellerby). DT was at one end of the rink chatting with some folks.

it was a light practice and not particularly crisp. murphy ran both groups through a high 2v1 drill (forwards passing form the corner, coming toward the point and curling to the net with a return pass) that is essentially the bread and butter of an PP overload. there was a 5v2 backchecking drill (3 Fs backchecking and 2 offensive D trailing) as well as a standard regroup 2v0 drill (2 Fs regrouping with 2D, going back 2v0 on goalie) that you see early in the season. later in both practices, hulton spent some time working the overload to umbrella shift with some seam plays. lot's of movement up top. that would seem to be a new focus. in the second practice, tallas had the vets running 2v0 with one attacker behind the net to workout clemmer and vokie.

difficult to draw too much from a practice the morning after a game and travel but here are a few little snapshots:
  • at one point later in the 2nd group's session, ellerby and guds were at one end working on one-timers and guds was flailing a little bit, missing badly. murph came over at one point and gave him a tip - reduce the windup. ellerby looked quite a bit better than guds as they were working on one-timers but neither were hitting the nail on the hit consistently
  • booth's release is *lightning* fast. as he and a handful of others were working on one-timers in a semi-circle with murph at one end, he was continuously catching, walking in and shooting (bar down, the majority of the time) and it looks to me like that is something he's worked on this off-season. based on what i saw, i would not be surprised if he has a fantastic year (neighborhood of 35-40). i have to admit, he really seems to be working hard and working on the right stuff. i'm not sure he'll ever be a super slick guy with the puck but in terms of finish, he has drastically improved.
  • frolik, who is somewhat (too) slick with the puck, could not beat vokie or clemmer *once* in the shootout drill. he is really holding onto the puck too long.
  • as wideman was coming off the ice, naoko funayama was on the bench. wideman greeted her like an old friend. at first i thought they *were* old friends just getting together for lunch after practice but the next time i looked over, i saw a nesn cameraman there and they were doing an interview.

after the 2nd session had ended, i walked toward the st. botolphs street exit of matthews arena, as i'd parked right in front at a meter and, as it turns out, the team bus had pulled up right behind me and the entire 1st group was milling around in front of my beat up 95 golf. i had to somewhat ashamedly hop into my jalopy with the likes of markie and repik (find a new tailor, micheal - you look like mc hammer with those pants) standing a few feet away.

Old
09-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Mustangs

Send a message via MSN to Mustangs
Anyone notice how Adrian Foster Looked? I haven't read anywhere tht he has been released from his try-out.

Old
09-24-2010, 06:11 PM
zeroG

Quote:

sorry, i'm not going to along with your version of the story - he was looking up ice to make a play and the forward swung into his lane from a blind spot. he certainly deserves some blame but not all.

anyhow, was going to say that my impression from seeing him in person is that, yes, has filled out quite a bit but he still appears to be somewhat of a project. i am not expecting big things from him any time soon but i do think he has the tools to be an effective NHL Dman. there really shouldn't be much doubt about that. question is, can he fill in the gaps and smarten up?

side note: he does kind of look like a bit of a goober out there.

Old
09-24-2010, 06:27 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:

i understand you dont like ellerby but stop blindly hating on him, that play was not all his fault. ellerby skated into him? watch the replay you can see he moved right in front of ellerby. it was unfortunate,now a bad turnover was marc staals yesterday which resulted in a goal from his pass bouncing of the defenders skate which was unfortunate also, but worse than ellerbys. we're no expecting ellerby to be a #1 defenseman but i definetely see him being a 3-4.

Old
09-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
sorry, i'm not going to along with your version of the story - he was looking up ice to make a play and the forward swung into his lane from a blind spot. he certainly deserves some blame but not all.

anyhow, was going to say that my impression from seeing him in person is that, yes, has filled out quite a bit but he still appears to be somewhat of a project. i am not expecting big things from him any time soon but i do think he has the tools to be an effective NHL Dman. there really shouldn't be much doubt about that. question is, can he fill in the gaps and smarten up?

side note: he does kind of look like a bit of a goober out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
i understand you dont like ellerby but stop blindly hating on him, that play was not all his fault. ellerby skated into him? watch the replay you can see he moved right in front of ellerby. it was unfortunate,now a bad turnover was marc staals yesterday which resulted in a goal from his pass bouncing of the defenders skate which was unfortunate also, but worse than ellerbys. we're no expecting ellerby to be a #1 defenseman but i definetely see him being a 3-4.
Exactly. How Ellerby gets blamed for his teammate skating right into him is beyond me. Both deserve blame. You know, Ellerby was the one who had the puck, trying to skate past the opposing forwards and safely get it out of the zone. The least the forward can do in that situation is look behind him and see what Ellerby is trying to do. He didn't even do that.

The blind hatred for Ellerby is really getting old. The most likely scenario is that he develops into a solid #3-5 NHL d-man, and all these posts hating on him and already calling him a bust after 3 years are going to look really funny in 5 years.

Old
09-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Hip to be Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Troll is probably going to far, but don't act like 98% of your posts aren't negative.

But i'm not gonna comment on it unless it REALLLY bugs me. Otherwise, i'll just ignore you.
Pretty much 98% of ALL posts on the panthers hfboards last season were negative.

Old
09-25-2010, 02:56 AM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
That's a pretty homerific video. Way to not show Booth's goals.
lol that vid was like watching the north korean news report when they lost against Brazil in this years world cup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7TIMpCy8jo

lol (brazil won 2-1 if u didnt know)

Closed Thread