HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cowen vs Lee

Old
09-22-2010, 09:56 PM
MatthewT

vCash: 500
Cowen vs Lee

I think the #6 slot on the blueline is down to these two players. Its no coincidence that they played both games in Toronto. I thought Cowen had a really strong game today and I love his size. Lee looks bigger then last year and is showing signs of a better hockey player all around, noticeably more physical. Any thoughts?

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Hale The Villain

Lee has a one-way contract, Cowen does not. When Kuba comes back that will be the deciding factor.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 700
Cowen was solid tonight and our best defenceman imo...

He made tons of smart plays defensively, and his skating, puck handling and confidence continue to improve each and everytime I see him.

Downside for him tonight was two poor pinches. I'd also like to see him play with a bit more intensity and play a bit more physical.

Cowen has already surpassed Lee in the depth chart imo...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Madskillz65

I'm really hoping for Cowen to get one more year, and I want Lee to get a chance to prove himself. So hopefully Lee wins this round.

Madskillz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Chrass

Maybe it should be Cowen vs. Lee vs. Campoli ?

I don't think Junior is going to help Cowen at this stage. Some AHL time would be super, but we all know that this is not possible....I personally think he sticks with the big club this season.

Chrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:03 PM
popojoe

buddy...2 solid games from Lee. Cowen as well, but he has far less pro experience than Lee, and experience counts for a lot.

In the long run, I think Cowen will be like a Hal Gill type player, solid NHL quality, but nothing to write home about. Also in the long run, Brian Lee is gong to be similar to a lot of run of the mill D men with good size and good skill. He is going to have to work for every inch this very special career is going to give him.

As for this year.....Lee over Cowen absolutely.

popojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:04 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I think they'll both start the year in Ottawa. Whether they both finish there is another story (Cowen to WHL, or Lee in a trade). I read in the Citizen that Lee led the team in hits last night with 5, so he's certainly trying to play more physical.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Chrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by popojoe View Post
buddy...2 solid games from Lee. Cowen as well, but he has far less pro experience than Lee, and experience counts for a lot.

In the long run, I think Cowen will be like a Hal Gill type player, solid NHL quality, but nothing to write home about. Also in the long run, Brian Lee is gong to be similar to a lot of run of the mill D men with good size and good skill. He is going to have to work for every inch this very special career is going to give him.

Cowen's upside is greater than that and although I realize that this is only potential at this point, I see him as a stronger player than that without a doubt. I think he'll easily surpass your low expectations and reasonably quickly.

Chrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:15 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by popojoe View Post

Cowen already skates better, has better offensive skills and handles the puck better then Gill. All at the tender age of 19.

The Gill comparison that is tossed out there is garbage and only done by haters.

Outside of maybe a better first pass, Lee has nothing on Cowen.

Lee to me has already been passed in the depth chart by Cowen....

Old
09-22-2010, 10:15 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I think that Lee is slightly ahead because he has a tad more experience & that one way contract. He is a little more poised with the puck, good skater & a decent passer, but that baby face makes him look soft.

Cowen on the other hand has that imposing size which can't be taught & he seems willing to engage players physically but he is prone to rookie mistakes. I'm not sure the Sens can afford to teach him on the fly but at the same time Campoli & Lee at times don't instill a lot of confidence either.

It's a tough call right now. I think Cowen will continue to get better the more he plays, we saw Campoli struggle yesterday & we were winning. The Sens need one more good top 6 forward although both Foligno & Regin are pushing for exactly that.
I would be okay with keeping Cowen & trading either Campoli or Lee & Shannon for an experienced LWer who can put the puck in the net with consistency or some picks. My guess is that Murray starts the season with what he has, hopes this team can make the playoffs & make a deadline deal or two for what he thinks the team needs. They have good depth in Ottawa & in Bingo to make a good playoff run.

aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

Leafs fan here, coming to admit that I was wrong when I said that Cowen wasn't that good...he's big, he's mobile, he's tough and he can make a good first pass.

He looked excellent tonight, and last night, and I bet he makes the team.

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:20 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

should probably be cowen, but it would be best for him to start in the ahl, get top mins and develop nicely. he can be called up when gonchar or another dman gets injured

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:22 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
should probably be cowen, but it would be best for him to start in the ahl, get top mins and develop nicely. he can be called up when gonchar or another dman gets injured
Cowen can't go to the AHL

Old
Ceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrass View Post
Maybe it should be Cowen vs. Lee vs. Campoli ?

I don't think Junior is going to help Cowen at this stage. Some AHL time would be super, but we all know that this is not possible....I personally think he sticks with the big club this season.
Absolutely. Lee looked good both games (great last night) and Cowen was our best D tonight. Campoli needs to bring it IMO.

Totally agree that another year in the Dub buys Cowen nothing

Ceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Caeldan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
Cowen can only go back to the OHL - but that's where he should be.

Also consider that playing the 9 NHL games for the experience and going back to the OHL means we don't burn a year on his contract, when he's likely going to miss more than a few games due to injury because his body is undersized for his height right now.

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post

Cowen already skates better, has better offensive skills and handles the puck better then Gill. All at the tender age of 19.

The Gill comparison that is tossed out there is garbage and only done by haters.

Outside of maybe a better first pass, Lee has nothing on Cowen.

Lee to me has already been passed in the depth chart by Cowen....
That's going a bit far. I loved the way Cowen played tonight, if he continues he will certainly force a bit of Lee trade speculation, even though Lee has still played better than most expected. Cowen just has so much more to offer if he continues to play comfortably.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Afro Thunder*

I am also with the Cowen > Lee so far in these 2 games, the guy is stronger, better defensively, more poised and has a better shot and offensive flair.

I wouldn't mind a pairing like this going into the season.

Philips- Karlsson
Cowen- Gonchar
Carkner- Lee

Campoli was the worst player out of all 3 of them, he looked crappy even when we were dominating in the other game.

Last edited by Afro Thunder*: 09-22-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:29 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
That's going a bit far. I loved the way Cowen played tonight, if he continues he will certainly force a bit of Lee trade speculation, even though Lee has still played better than most expected. Cowen just has so much more to offer if he continues to play comfortably.
Alright, I'll toss in that Lee is a little bit more calm with the puck, outside of that and a first pass, Cowen offers so much more to the club.

Old
09-22-2010, 10:36 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post

Also consider that playing the 9 NHL games for the experience and going back to the OHL means we don't burn a year on his contract, when he's likely going to miss more than a few games due to injury because his body is undersized for his height right now.
You're kidding right? Undersized?

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:37 PM
MatthewT

Cowen with his size can also be a solid penalty killer.

Old
09-22-2010, 10:38 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I'm thinking it might be Cowen vs Campoli & not Lee since their salaries are close as well. As someone else indicated Lee seems to be outplaying Campoli & Cowen IMO is also outplaying Campoli although it is early. Adding Cowen to the back end & he would likely be playing in Campoli's spot with Caukner. He would add a lot more size & edge to our defence although Ottawa would probably lose a little offence as Campoli is better offensively. However, they make that up with Gonchar, Kuba & Karlsson. Of course, it will be interesting to see how Gryba plays against NHLers as well.

Phillips - Gonchar - top tandem
Kuba - Karlsson - if Kuba can stay healthy
Cowen - Caukner/Lee - huge defence pairing - Lee has some size too.

aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:39 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
You're kidding right? Undersized?
he just means his weight to height ratio. Im sure he can still add more muscle without comprising his playing ability.

Old
09-22-2010, 10:39 PM
Pyke*

Quote:

I've seen this a few times, and it's getting annoying.

Cowen plays for the SPOKANE CHIEFS, which is a WHL team.....

-=-=-

As an aside: On a team with Gonchar, Karlsson, Kuba, Lee...what exactly does Campoli bring? I mean, I realize he's a bit better of a PP guy than Kuba or Lee, but really, he's not a better puck mover 5 on 5 than any of those, and it seems like a player like Cowen (along with Phillips and Carkner) bring something different to round out the defense corps...

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:42 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
he just means his weight to height ratio. Im sure he can still add more muscle without comprising his playing ability.
Of this there is no doubt... but he's fairly heavy for his height when you consider Weircioch. Cowen looked far more ready the Weircioch tonight and the more he plays the better he's going to look. Lee was ok this evening, I didn't notice anything special. However, the entire team got trodden on by the leafs

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:42 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:

He plays in the WHL and has 228 pounds on his 6'5 frame.

He is already physically ready for the NHL and will hold up fine....