HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes at Preds preseason, 9-23

Old
09-23-2010, 11:26 AM
dmonk
doughberle

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainband View Post
No Skinner in tonight's game?
they are playing 3 games in as many nights. Management said that they'll be playing mostly kids in home games and mostly vets in the games away.

Skinner will be playing tomorrow night.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanton View Post
Obviously they just picked names out of a hat. There's really no other explanation.
I think there is "some" rational. The centers all make sense (Staal, Sutter, Dalpe, Nash). Ruutu, Cole, and Jokinen make sense..as all will be in the top 6 to start the season no matter how we feel.

The ones that don't make a lot of sense are Samsonov, O'Sullivan, and TKO. If this was a "real" game and we had to choose among the same group of players, the only changes I'd probably make is to move POS to first line, Sammy to the 3rd and TKO to the 4th. But given it is pre-season, they may want to see how POS will fair on his own (not with the advantage of playing with top 6 players) so I can see some merit in that.

Other than that, I don't think it is too bad.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:37 AM
ncsu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
Any idea will this be visible somehow? We've got a pretty good lineup on this one... I'd like to see Pitkänen - McBain-pairing
@CVHD: Just spoke with a contact at the Predators - tonight's game will not be streamed and there will be no Nashville radio broadcast, either.

@CVHD: PredsTV will post a highlights package after the game, and I will share when it is available.

ncsu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:37 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
Why are we wasting time giving Sammy time on Staal's wing? i realize this is preseason game 2 but cmon
Now i know the reason Sammy was practicing face offs during the practice yesterday..... He'll be doing it in place of Staal... That's the new strategy.

but seriously... Sammy has been looking sharp.

Old
09-23-2010, 12:04 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
Shocked?! seriously???? come on, they'll only take NHL squad for the Finland trip, if he doesn't make it to NHL he isn't going.

There will be no passengers, they might take an additional forward and/or D-man, but that's it. Too many guys are ahead of Osala in depth

As of right now, he's chances are very, very slim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
If O'Sullivan continues to play well, things get even tougher for Osala at wing:

O'Sullivan
Jokinen
Ruutu
Cole
LaRose
Samsonov
Kostopoulos

That leaves one wing on the 4 lines plus a 13th forward. Osala is competing with Tlusty (if healthy), Boychuk, Bowman, and Skinner for a spot on the opening night active roster. While Osala could travel to Finland as the 13th forward, the press box is a bad place for him long term.

With Skinner almost certainly getting a 9 game tryout, things are even tighter up front in Finland. I think it's likely Boychuk and Skinner are part of the opening night squad, Tlusty is on the injured list, and Osala heads back to Charlotte.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
There is literally 1 or 2 spots open... He's not making the roster unless we have 2-3 injuries
Not if he plays 4th line wing. Who else makes sense to put there? Surely not one of the young guys like Boychuk, and surely not a guy like Samsonov who would be very out of place on the 4th line. Cole and LaRose aren't going there either, so let's not even discuss that. Add in the fact that Osala is Finnish and older than some of these other prospects and you've got a recipe for at least an NHL tryout in Helsinki.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:33 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Agreed, if Osala is competing for a 4th line spot there's only a few players even in the system that make sense there. He's one of them, the other two are Nicolas Blanchard and Nick Dodge. There's certainly competition for that slot, just not the same kind of hole that needs to be filled. We have more options coming down the pipeline that could fit there (Lindstrom, Kennedy, Pistilli, even Jared Staal) but they're all a way off.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:36 PM
dmonk
doughberle

4th line - Larose-Dwyer-Kostopoulos.

Old
09-23-2010, 12:51 PM
blow jOBAMA*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanes1210 View Post
Lines for tonight:

Samsonov-Staal-Ruutu
Jokinen-Sutter-Cole
Bowman-Dalpe-Kostopoulos
O'Sullivan-Nash-Dwyer
Sammy on the first line
Hopefully O'sullivan and Sammy switch places after the first shift. Would make the top line more formidable.

blow jOBAMA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
4th line - Larose-Dwyer-Kostopoulos.
What many of us would "like" to see is a lot different than what will happen. I will be absolutely shocked if Maurice put Larose on the 4th line. I just don't see it happening. I would expect to see one of the other young guys there (even if we think it doesn't make sense) over Larose.

Old
09-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by canarywatcher View Post
Sammy on the first line
Hopefully O'sullivan and Sammy switch places after the first shift. Would make the top line more formidable.
Personally, in pre-season, I'd like to see how O'Sullivan can perform in many situations (not just on the top line with Staal) so I don't mind seeing him with different linemates.

Old
09-23-2010, 01:33 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Agreed, if Osala is competing for a 4th line spot there's only a few players even in the system that make sense there. He's one of them, the other two are Nicolas Blanchard and Nick Dodge. There's certainly competition for that slot, just not the same kind of hole that needs to be filled. We have more options coming down the pipeline that could fit there (Lindstrom, Kennedy, Pistilli, even Jared Staal) but they're all a way off.
Ah, right, I had forgotten about Blanchard and Dodge. Though, isn't Blanchard a center? I guess that's all pretty irrelevant when talking about the 4th line though.

I also think line numbers in the preseason are pretty irrelevant. Most players got fairly equal TOI

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 03:33 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I think our 4th line wingers end up being Kostopoulos and Dwyer. So now you are looking at a center. I think that comes down to either Nash or Matsumoto. Whichever one they feel won't really lose development on the 4th line. Dwyer isn't a natural center, so he is best placed on the wing.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

TKO and Dwyer are already 4th line locks... So yes, still one spot for Osala

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 04:57 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post
Personally, in pre-season, I'd like to see how O'Sullivan can perform in many situations (not just on the top line with Staal) so I don't mind seeing him with different linemates.
I would agree with this sentiment if we had actually seen Patrick play with Eric already....but we havent.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
Ah, right, I had forgotten about Blanchard and Dodge. Though, isn't Blanchard a center? I guess that's all pretty irrelevant when talking about the 4th line though.

I also think line numbers in the preseason are pretty irrelevant. Most players got fairly equal TOI
Actually, DODGE is the center. I believe Blanchard can play both, but his natural position is winger and that's what he's listed as...

I'm all for giving Blanchard a game or two on the 4th line... We're certainly not the toughest team right now, and while Gleason's a great fighter I'd rather keep him out there on the ice.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 8074
Tweet from Canes:

Quote:
One lineup change for tonight at Nashville: Joni Pitkanen did not make the trip. Bobby Sanguinetti will take his place.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 05:48 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Trade coming?

Old
09-23-2010, 06:23 PM
caniac247

From Forslund

Quote:
Nothing serious for Pitkanen. Sanguenetti gets another look

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Harrison with another minus.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:06 PM
AD Skinner

O'Sullivan continues to look strong...

AD Skinner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

Tham Thon Off!!!!!!

09-23-2010, 08:23 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

O'Sully is trying to make all the other GMs look dumb for not taking a chance on him. Hopefully he can somewhat keep it up.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 8074
Power play goal?!?!?!? Sammy just secured his place on the top line.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:48 PM
bleedgreen

Watchin the oilers game, msp looks like a stud. Hall looks fine but nervous and sloppy. He has the shot but his head isn't quick enough yet. Had a bad turnover early. Msp is dancing around finding players, scoring a pretty nice goal though he whiffed the finish. Msp looks like a legit Calder threat. Omark looks good but they aren't playing him a lot yet, it seems. Msp definitely looks more comfortable than hall early.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Watchin the oilers game, msp looks like a stud. Hall looks fine but nervous and sloppy. He has the shot but his head isn't quick enough yet. Had a bad turnover early. Msp is dancing around finding players, scoring a pretty nice goal though he whiffed the finish. Msp looks like a legit Calder threat. Omark looks good but they aren't playing him a lot yet, it seems. Msp definitely looks more comfortable than hall early.
I have no idea why MSP isn't more highly regarded by more fans around the league. I know they're a bit apart in development, but this kid blew me away in the WJC last year. Seems to play like a Paul Kariya type game with a bit of Euro flair to it.

I have been high on Omark for a while now. He's every bit the player that MZA is in New York and has been producing among better talent for longer. If people are expecting MZA to be in a Top 6 this early, there is no reason Omark couldn't right now too. The only bad part is that being an undersized skill player in Edmonton right now is like bringing sand to the beach so a lot of these kids may not get the opportunity to stick full time. I think Omark starts in the A at the hands of guys like Gagner, Cogliano, Hall, MPS, Hemsky, etc.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote