HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Isbister's Days Numbered? (Spector's)

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2004, 08:27 AM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
Isbister's Days Numbered? (Spector's)

http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/spe...e_rumours.html

Here's the story:

ISBISTER'S DAYS IN EDMONTON NUMBERED?

EDMONTON SUN: Robin Brownlee reports the Oilers must decide if they'll requalify forward Brad Isbister, sign him at a reduced rate or shop him at the June draft weekend. Isbister has another disappointing season, as a series of injuries limited him to 18 points in 51 games.

Spector's Note: Once perceived as a possible power forward, Isbister is running out of time to establish himself. HIs value has tumbled so much that there may not be much interest in him either as trade bait or as a free agent.

Nothing we didn't know, except that Spector's seems to feel his value is very low. I think he's worth more than their implying, and one would assume Lowe still does too.

A 3 year deal at one million a season is a typical Lowe solution, would you do that?

Old
06-05-2004, 08:34 AM
kingdip50

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
A 3 year deal at one million a season is a typical Lowe solution, would you do that?
no i think 3 yrs is too much i whould give him maybe 1 yr at 1 million because he might end up being a bust and in the new cba 1 million for a bust might be too much so give him 1 yr see how he does and see how the cba pans out and then give him extension trade or ufa depending on how he performs

Old
06-05-2004, 09:11 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdip50
no i think 3 yrs is too much i whould give him maybe 1 yr at 1 million because he might end up being a bust and in the new cba 1 million for a bust might be too much so give him 1 yr see how he does and see how the cba pans out and then give him extension trade or ufa depending on how he performs
If your signing him it's because you figure he will break out within a year or two. One million a year isn't that much, and if a miracle happened and Isbister did put up big numbers next season, he would be asking for more if his contract had been up after that year. Multi-year deal at a reduced rate or trading him is the Oilers best option.

Old
06-05-2004, 09:24 AM
Bohologo

What's maddening about Isbister is the flashes of brilliance you see every now and then. That sort of behaviour makes a GM pause before selling an inconsistent player down the pike. At some point though, potential has to give way to performance, particularly when the guy is taking up roster space/blocking Rita's development at such a hefty price. Could Isbister bloom elsewhere? Sure, but he might not.

Old
06-05-2004, 09:36 AM
WFHACommish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
What's maddening about Isbister is the flashes of brilliance you see every now and then. That sort of behaviour makes a GM pause before selling an inconsistent player down the pike. At some point though, potential has to give way to performance, particularly when the guy is taking up roster space/blocking Rita's development at such a hefty price. Could Isbister bloom elsewhere? Sure, but he might not.
$1M for 3 years....possibly....it's some gamble.
But if it were for 2 years...i'd jump on that. I think he can still do it.

Old
06-05-2004, 09:37 AM
Seachd

I wouldn't be too upset if they traded him at the draft for a 2nd, assuming he's not willing to sign a reasonable contract.

Old
06-05-2004, 10:51 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
hell, I'm sure Izzy would simply sign a qualifying offer! So if they wan't to be able to keep his rights they'll have to offer him more then 1 million.

Old
06-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Mizral

Once again, Isbister has more trade value than most people perceive. Guys like this just seem to never depreciate. Look at Chris Gratton. It almost doesn't matter how bad big players with potential play, some GM out there will always take 'em.

Old
06-05-2004, 01:37 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

that's very true - Buffalo got their MVP (Briere, wasn't he their MVP?) not for Gratton, but for the player Gratton COULD be.

Old
06-05-2004, 06:44 PM
xerburt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Why not? It gives the team some time where he might hopefully turn it around, and the dollar figures aren't too astronomical.

Most importantly, a three year deal at a decent rate like this would make him a much more tradeable asset, in my opinion - should management decide to ship him off.

Old
06-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerburt
Why not? It gives the team some time where he might hopefully turn it around, and the dollar figures aren't too astronomical.

Most importantly, a three year deal at a decent rate like this would make him a much more tradeable asset, in my opinion - should management decide to ship him off.

Yeah. I think if you look at the Oilers W depth chart, Isbister has to rank higher than guys like Chimera, Rita and Salmelainen. If he can accept a deal for 1 point something, then it makes sense.

Wish he wasn't made of glass,though.

Old
06-05-2004, 06:57 PM
nikeisevil

Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
I'm with lowetide.

If Mr. Glass (aka: Invisibister) signs something like a 3 year deal for $3.5-$4.0 Million - it's worth it for us. He gets to stay at home and discover his inner Bertuzzi.

And you know what? He may just wake up someday and become a consistent threat. We can only dream.

But his value is definitely higher than Chimera, Rita and Salmelainen.

Old
06-06-2004, 12:57 AM
Hemsky4PM

If I'm Chad IsKilger's agent I recommend he take a qualifying offer or nothing at all. Why not become a UFA. I can't imaging him getting any less than 1.3-1.5M from some team out there. And on another team he'd (potentially) be more than the 4th liner he is here. Smyth, Torres and Moreau are the top 3 LW and that won't change any time soon.

If he finds there aren't any takers at 1.5M he THEN might sign here for a season or two if he thinks it's a good situation. Why limit your options though? He will be dealt or be a UFA by July 1 unless the Oilers over-pay on a 2-3 year contract at say 1.5-1.7M/yr.

Old
06-06-2004, 01:17 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
He gets to stay at home and discover his inner Bertuzzi.
I think that Izzy is more comparable to Glen Murray then Isbister - with all the inconsistency/injury problems. Izzy, last year, seemed to be derailed by a fluke injury every time he was starting to get going last year. IMO if he can play 75 games next year with a regular shift he could be a 20-20 man.

Old
06-06-2004, 02:09 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
IMO if he can play 75 games next year with a regular shift he could be a 20-20 man.
But when the guy's only had 1 relatively healthy year in his first 7 NHL seasons, you kinda start to wonder how many fans from his previous teams said the exact same thing.

I'd like to give him one more chance, but not anywhere near 1.9M...

Old
06-06-2004, 02:17 AM
elphy101

I wonder if Isbister would sign a contract for less that 1.9 Million. I wouldn't if I were him.

Some other team will be willing to cough up the 2 Million especially if he's a UFA. The only reason I would even think about signing it is if I wanted to stay in Edmonton pretty badly. But Isbister must have some trade value, don't forget one of the better GM's in the league just traded Derek Morris for that bundle of old potential that is Chris Gratton.

Old
06-06-2004, 02:32 AM
Digger12

Chris Gratton gets maligned a lot, but he has this over Isbister:

1) At least Gratton is durable, while Isbister can't open a coke can without hitting the IR list.
2) Gratton's point totals the last 5 seasons: 49/40/39/45/32 - Isbister's point totals during the same period: 42/32/38/28/18...talk about a depreciating asset.

If some fool wants to throw 2 million at Isbister, I'd rather it not be the Oilers.

Old
06-06-2004, 03:07 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
I wonder if Isbister would sign a contract for less that 1.9 Million. I wouldn't if I were him.

Some other team will be willing to cough up the 2 Million especially if he's a UFA. The only reason I would even think about signing it is if I wanted to stay in Edmonton pretty badly. But Isbister must have some trade value, don't forget one of the better GM's in the league just traded Derek Morris for that bundle of old potential that is Chris Gratton.
Here's a problem that Isbister and his agent have to think about as well. If he's an UFA and doesn't sign a contract until the new CBA is in place - there will be a plethora of free agents in the pool along with him. Theoretically, he could end up with much less than the qualifying offer of 1.9 million dollars should he opt that route.

Old
06-06-2004, 07:14 AM
Asiaoil

Izzy's situation is very uncomplicated:

- if he wants to stay in Edmonton he signs a multi-year contract almost exactly like Ethan Moreau's........or

- if he is adamant about being qualified at $1.9 million then he will certainly be traded at the draft (giving him to Florida so we can move up to the #8 spot is fine with me)

It's that simple.....

Old
06-06-2004, 07:42 AM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
I like Izzy and I will always give him a chance but at 1.9 million is asking for too much, Lowe should give him a low-ball offer for 1 year to prove if Izzy is really worth his weight in gold.

Old
06-06-2004, 07:51 AM
coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Izzy's situation is very uncomplicated:

- if he wants to stay in Edmonton he signs a multi-year contract almost exactly like Ethan Moreau's........or

- if he is adamant about being qualified at $1.9 million then he will certainly be traded at the draft (giving him to Florida so we can move up to the #8 spot is fine with me)

It's that simple.....
I just looked up Izzy's stats and can't believe that he is worth just as much as Moreau. I would think with his past record of injuries it would be in the best interest of the Oilers to let him go or get something for him.

Old
06-06-2004, 07:54 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
I just looked up Izzy's stats and can't believe that he is worth just as much as Moreau. I would think with his past record of injuries it would be in the best interest of the Oilers to let him go or get something for him.
The 2003-04 Moreau no - the 2002-03 Moreau yes

He signs a similar deal or he's gone IMHO.

Old
06-06-2004, 10:08 AM
Goil

Send a message via ICQ to Goil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Chris Gratton gets maligned a lot, but he has this over Isbister:

1) At least Gratton is durable, while Isbister can't open a coke can without hitting the IR list.
2) Gratton's point totals the last 5 seasons: 49/40/39/45/32 - Isbister's point totals during the same period: 42/32/38/28/18...talk about a depreciating asset.

If some fool wants to throw 2 million at Isbister, I'd rather it not be the Oilers.
And most importantly...Gratton's a center!

Old
06-06-2004, 10:19 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Just wondering, What would Isbister cost Toronto?

Old
06-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto
Just wondering, What would Isbister cost Toronto?
Well we could trade glass for glass.
I think Isbister may be worth a late 1st in this years draft, but not quite sure.

Closed Thread