HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PS #1 - 09.23.2010 | New Jersey Devils @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
09-24-2010, 05:32 AM
AJRanger

vCash: 500
I think I've watched Marty flop about 50 times so far. That Stepan set-up never gets tiring either.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 06:31 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
wow, guess im in the minority, I thought Sauer was meh tonight. He just looked soo....blah
You are...he kept making solid play after solid play. He even handled Kovalchuk one-on-one. I think I saw maybe one instance where he was beaten, (by Parise, I believe), but, then he made the sprawling dive to block the pass, and the puck ended up in the corner. I think it was very telling that Tortorella put him and McDonagh together in OT.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 06:59 AM
UAGoalieGuy

I really loved Sauer and McD's game last night. Quite, crisp passing, really non-eventful. Exactly what I want from defenseman. Be solid in your own end, make the smart play, don't be flashy, and the offense will eventually come.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 07:18 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Brooks loves being the contrarian.

Quote:
Ryan McDonagh had a bumpy game in his preseason debut. The rookie defenseman out of Wisconsin seemed to have trouble handling speed down the wing, though he was otherwise dependable while paired with Michal Rozsival.

"I thought he did some good things, but there was a little bit of speed down his side that was a little struggle, but we expected that," Tortorella said. "He has good feet, but he needs to understand handling the gap and not lunging. "That's not unexpected. We're going through a process."

One game, yes, but if McDonagh is not ready, does that mean Matt Gilroy and Alex Semenov form the third pair? And what, pray tell, would happen if Wade Redden -- a dad for the first time after his wife, Danica, gave birth late Wednesday to a 7-pound, 9-ounce girl-clearly outplays all of them once he gets into the pre-season lineup?
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz10RbLmWq3

Gap control? McDonagh was the top shutdown D in college hockey the past couple of years. McDonagh and Gardiner were used by Eaves against the opposing teams top forwards. McDonagh knows his way around his own end. Tortorella's buddy Schoenfeld can work with him on "gap control".

If someone had trouble handling the speed of the game and looked totally out of place it was Semenov.

Redden hasn't outplayed anyone since 2006.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 07:27 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sauer requires waivers to be assigned to the AHL. His good play could open the eyes of another team looking for a cheap defenseman. Byers is another guy who requires waivers. If they can't make the Rangers,maybe another team will look at them.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 07:42 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Leblonde grew a set when boogy went off
He's only got to hide from Boogaard another 8 games and he'll probably come down with the "flu" for at least a handful of those and he is running for his life so he may just pull it off.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 07:46 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post
Yeah... Not really.

Congrats. You guys beat the Albany Devils.
And you got Whale'd. We all know it's preseason.

Old
09-24-2010, 07:48 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Hey, just noticed the mention that Redden and his wife just had their first kid. Any chance you think Wade retires?? I just cant picture him happy travelling with the whale. He's going to be 34, he's a millionaire, and I could see Slats telling him if he retires they have an office job/ minor league coaching job for him if he wants it.
Anyone thnk its possible?

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Brooks loves being the contrarian.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz10RbLmWq3

Gap control? McDonagh was the top shutdown D in college hockey the past couple of years. McDonagh and Gardiner were used by Eaves against the opposing teams top forwards. McDonagh knows his way around his own end. Tortorella's buddy Schoenfeld can work with him on "gap control".

If someone had trouble handling the speed of the game and looked totally out of place it was Semenov.

Redden hasn't outplayed anyone since 2006.
Yeah, a young guy getting beat to the outside with speed isn't unusual when it's the first time they're playing real NHL quality competition. As long as he makes the corrections he'll be fine. He looks agile enough that it's not a physical, slowness problem. Just needs to anticipate things a little faster

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 07:56 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah, a young guy getting beat to the outside with speed isn't unusual when it's the first time they're playing real NHL quality competition. As long as he makes the corrections he'll be fine. He looks agile enough that it's not a physical, slowness problem. Just needs to anticipate things a little faster

Girardi gets beat to the outside on a nightly basis, and was beaten to the inside by Kovalchuk last night, and he just signed a 4-year, $14 million contract.

Old
09-24-2010, 07:57 AM
Black Tank

Just got done watching the last Sens-Leafs game. Two observations: compared to that game, this was truly an NHL match up. Secondly, the refs there really let them play, maybe to give the AHL tough guys in the lineup a chance to show their stuff???

Old
09-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Black Tank

Did Brooks seriously write an article with quotes about MCD getting beat to the outside in which he references that Redden could be better? Has Brooks watched any NYR games the past two years - Redden has almost developed a coping strategy where the player goes around him and Redden tries to cut the corner to force the player behind the net. It works sometimes...

Old
09-24-2010, 08:06 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
Did Brooks seriously write an article with quotes about MCD getting beat to the outside in which he references that Redden could be better? Has Brooks watched any NYR games the past two years - Redden has almost developed a coping strategy where the player goes around him and Redden tries to cut the corner to force the player behind the net. It works sometimes...
I know...McDonagh had an up-and-down game? Did he completely ignore the abortion that was the Staal/Girardi pairing? Staal really plays his best next to Roszival.

Old
09-24-2010, 08:12 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Girardi gets beat to the outside on a nightly basis, and was beaten to the inside by Kovalchuk last night, and he just signed a 4-year, $14 million contract.
true. girardi and staal struggles at times last night. staal especially looked lost.

same for rozy. he skates in sand. dude looked his usual self last night. slow.

i was able to check off many of the normal rozy type plays.

falling down behind the net. check.
passes to no one. check.
getting beat wide. check.
giving pucks away deep. check.
refusing to shoot. check.
fumbling the puck. check.
avoiding physical contact. check.

hes in mid season form already.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:37 AM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
hes in mid season form already.
That means that soon he'll get to late-season form and will be our best defender the rest of the year?

Rozi will be slow early and pick up as the season goes on. It is his way. Surprised you aren't used to it by now.

Also don't think he had a bad game yesterday, to tell you the truth. Stats certainly don't say so and what I saw didn't say so.

All the things you listed you cherry picked and could be said about almost any player, any game.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:39 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
Gaborik should legally get his name changed to sniper
lol. so true.

I "heart" Gabby!

Wait... what??

Oh right.. no homo.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:39 AM
BobSantos

Very surprised to see Girardi as No. 2 defender, btw. I don't think that will work out all season, despite his larger contract.

I can understand him slotted at No. 4.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:58 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I understand the dislike for the Boogeyman's contract, but watching him talk **** and intimidate all night (in the preseason!) got me giddy for our first matchup with the Flyers.

09-24-2010, 09:10 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

I actually like the Boogaard signing. Orr is making 1,000,000.00/season. Shelley is making 1.1 million. So, Boogard is making 1.625 million and is more intimidating that either of them. *****ing about this contract (essentially 4-500,000.00) when we have contracts like Redden's just makes me laugh. If teams think twice about running Lundqvist or messing around with Gaborik then he's worth the 1.6+ million easily.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Levitate

Leslie also thinks McDonagh had an up and down night, so eh. I didn't watch him too closely and didn't see the whole game. But I mostly didn't see him doing anything terrible either

Old
09-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
wow, guess im in the minority, I thought Sauer was meh tonight. He just looked soo....blah
He's not going to look like Del Zotto out there. If he can play solid on the third pairing thats what I expect from him. Its better than having a defensive liability like Gilroy or Eminger back there.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Declan
HFB Partner

My Thoughts

# It was only one exhibition game, but Derek Stepan just confirmed his spot on the New York Rangers roster. He got an assist on the first Rangers goal after making a nice pass to Frolov who set up Gaborik. Stepan looked poised making nice passes all game long and man was that a wicked wrist shot in the third period that somehow grazed off the goalie and into the netting.

# Frolov looked good. Hopefully getting on the scoresheet early during pre-season will give him confidence. If he plays on a line with Gaborik this season and plays like that there's no reason why he can't score 30 goals again. Plus, he didn't look half bad killing penalties.

# Tim Kennedy gave himself a major boost in his hunt to make his way onto the Rangers roster. MZA looked ordinary as did Fedotenko. I won't write off MZA after one game because that wouldn't be fair, he did look shifty at times and made a few nifty passes but every time he gets the puck along the boards I keep expecting him to get freight trained by someone. McDonagh made a couple of good plays but also coughed up the puck a few times. But, that has to be expected in his first game. No decisions will be made on any of these guys based on one game, the rest of the pre-season will be important for each of them to showcase themselves.

The rest is over @ PuckCentral.net

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:49 AM
rvdnsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Hey, just noticed the mention that Redden and his wife just had their first kid. Any chance you think Wade retires?? I just cant picture him happy travelling with the whale. He's going to be 34, he's a millionaire, and I could see Slats telling him if he retires they have an office job/ minor league coaching job for him if he wants it.
Anyone thnk its possible?
Hmm, never thought of it this way. Could be a possibility if his pride gets in the way and he doesn't want the demotion to Hartford. He'd be giving up 6.5 Million per season to play in the AHL though, and thats a lot of money. He would obviously be a top D-Man in the AHL if his game is halfway decent down there.

rvdnsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:54 AM
rvdnsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Hey, I'm all for giving the young guys a shot...but that D is going to give Hank nightmares.
I understand what you are thinking but veterans don't automatically make the defense great (Rozy and Redden). Staal, Girardi, Semenov and Eminger are veteran guys now. Add in Del Zotto, McDonaugh and Gilroy and you have a nice balance of young and old. Sure there will be some growing pains but I honestly don't want a guy like Del Zotto or McIlrath down the road to learn how to play defense from Redden or Roszival.

rvdnsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Levitate

While Frolov was very good, remember the knock on him is that he disappears for stretches at a time. Honestly, we should expect that to happen at points during the season. I still think it's a good pickup and he makes the team much, much better, but he's going to have his down periods as well. Hopefully they're mainly just on the scoreboard and aren't him being really weak on the puck and not skating