HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which is the most important for the Wild to be successful this season?

View Poll Results: Most Important Change from Last Season to This Season
Backstrom becoming a top tier goalie w/o Lemaire + Harding stepping up 5 14.29%
Roster players rebounding from bad season (Burns, Schultz, Barker, Havlat, and Kobasew) 20 57.14%
Injection and intregration of new players (Bouchard, Cullen, Nystrom, Madden) 2 5.71%
Continued progression of younger core (Koivu, Lats, Cutterbuck, Brodziak) 1 2.86%
Maintaining high-level of play of vets (Brunette, Miettinen, Zidlicky, Zannon, 1 2.86%
Youth surprising and stepping up (Wellman, Stoner, Earl, Prosser, Falk) 2 5.71%
No more Boogy or Scott (Staubitz) 0 0%
Full season under Richards/Fletcher's belt. 4 11.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-21-2010, 02:13 PM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
Which is the most important for the Wild to be successful this season?

Lots of factors need to happen for the Wild to go anywhere this season. Which do you think are the most important?

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 02:23 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

it's a catch-all, but "adaptability".

We're going to play offensive hockey--super. Lets have the ability to play defensive hockey when we figure out that isn't working both in individual games and as a season. At least let's show the ability to recognize something isn't working and actively try to change it on ice. I'd settle for that. We can probably play super aggressive hockey against the oilers but against the canucks that will just get us murdered, IMO. This will be most apparent in how our D corp plays throughout a game.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 02:30 PM
nickschultzfan

Dang. Poll wasn't finished.

Also had:

7. No more Boogy or Scott (Staubitz)

and.

8. Full season under Richards/Fletcher's belt.

Old
09-21-2010, 02:33 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Dang. Poll wasn't finished.

Also had:

7. No more Boogy or Scott (Staubitz)

and.

8. Full season under Richards/Fletcher's belt.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 02:44 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

A combination of players rebounding from injuries/disappointing season and improving defensive play/special teams. When you lead the league in shorthanded goals given up by a large margin and leave your goalie out to dry on regular occasion, it will leave the team in a hole trying to dig itself out. Sometimes the Wild were able to get out of the hole (the three goal third period comeback versus Anaheim and the big Chicago one come to mind), which shows that the offensive talent is there, but there's no reason for it to be always be playing behind. If that can be changed and the team stays healthy, the Wild can and will be successful this season.

Old
09-21-2010, 02:46 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

ha, well now that the poll is up i'm going to say full season under Richards/Fletcher's belt...mostly because of Richards. If he figures out what is going on out on the ice during a game and can roll with the punches, we'll do alright. If we keep throwing Zidlicky out there on a penalty kill we're not going to be winning many games.

Old
09-21-2010, 02:59 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Stay Healthy

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I voted the closest to my opinion, which is improved defense play, so I went with another year of coaching, even though it's all about Ricky W.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 03:23 PM
BigT2002

Had to go Injection but I would side with the majority as well. We sucked complete donkey nuts on the Powerplay and Penalty Kill last year because we really only had one effecient line for both of them (and they both were because of Koivu and Zidlicky on PP and Koivu and Zanon on PK). New guys were brought in to help remedy that and to help bring together another line together to help combat fatigue through the game for the top tier players.

I'm going to go with PowerPlay is the key to making the playoffs this season.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 03:36 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Had to go Injection but I would side with the majority as well. We sucked complete donkey nuts on the Powerplay and Penalty Kill last year because we really only had one effecient line for both of them (and they both were because of Koivu and Zidlicky on PP and Koivu and Zanon on PK). New guys were brought in to help remedy that and to help bring together another line together to help combat fatigue through the game for the top tier players.

I'm going to go with PowerPlay is the key to making the playoffs this season.
Yeah, Barker, Cullen, and Bouchard should massively help the 2nd PP unit.

I rip into Barker more than most people, because I follow the Hawks almost as much as the Wild, but he is a complete monster on the PP.

Old
09-21-2010, 05:28 PM
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
ha, well now that the poll is up i'm going to say full season under Richards/Fletcher's belt...mostly because of Richards. If he figures out what is going on out on the ice during a game and can roll with the punches, we'll do alright. If we keep throwing Zidlicky out there on a penalty kill we're not going to be winning many games.
Hate to break it to you, especially because i know how much you love Zidlicky, but Zids was probably the teams best penalty killer last year.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
Hate to break it to you, especially because i know how much you love Zidlicky, but Zids was probably the teams best penalty killer last year.

Hi! My name is Greg Zanon, have we met?

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 06:28 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
oh my.

I'll just disagree with you on that, okay? Had a spiel all written out but i tend to start ranting and it goes all kattywompus on me so i'll just erase it and not go there.

That's like saying Hnidy was a beast on the PP--just because we didn't have a more obvious option doesn't mean he did a good job.

Old
09-21-2010, 06:39 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Yeah, Barker, Cullen, and Bouchard should massively help the 2nd PP unit.

I rip into Barker more than most people, because I follow the Hawks almost as much as the Wild, but he is a complete monster on the PP.
Barker wasn't brought in this year. Cullen plays point. Madden for the kill. That is better than we had last year. Or are you just *****ing just to *****?

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 07:27 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Barker wasn't brought in this year. Cullen plays point. Madden for the kill. That is better than we had last year. Or are you just *****ing just to *****?
??

I was just saying that a 2nd PP unit of Bouchard, Cullen, Barker, and two others (probably some combination of Havlat/Kobasew/Lats) will be an improvement over the god-awful Belanger-Nolan-Johnsson-Schultz/Hnidy-Lats/grinder we had last year.

Old
09-21-2010, 07:30 PM
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
oh my.

I'll just disagree with you on that, okay? Had a spiel all written out but i tend to start ranting and it goes all kattywompus on me so i'll just erase it and not go there.

That's like saying Hnidy was a beast on the PP--just because we didn't have a more obvious option doesn't mean he did a good job.
I totally agree with you that it would be nice to have better options, in fact i would prefer that Zidlicky doesnt even see any time on the PK. Still doesnt change the fact that out of the Dmen on the Wild last year, Zidlicky did as good of a job or better then any of the other dmen. And that includes Johnsson.

I know stats dont tell the whole story but they are alot more partial then fans who have already formed opinions on players and cant see past them

PK TOI - PK TOI/G - PKGA - minutes per PKGA
Zidlicky 219 - 2:48 - 18 - 12

Zanon 257 - 3:10 - 26 - 10

Schultz 197 - 2:28 - 24 - 8

Burns 96 - 2:02 - 9 - 11

Johnsson 129 - 2:29 - 16 - 8

Last edited by J22: 09-21-2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Fixed some #'s
Old
09-21-2010, 08:09 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:

easy there killer.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:17 PM
LemaireisGOD

Zidlicky our best penalty killer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
easy there killer.
: Riiight!!! Well that's all I need to know to make sure I disregard your (J22's) opinion around here!

LemaireisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:19 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

convinced me.

I've watched him play up close for two seasons now...I'll admit I wasn't thrilled with the pick up in the first place but he's went even lower than my expectations. this is completely w/out consideration to his compensation relative to others--he flat out sucks at defense.

And he got twice the goals in a far more closed system than he did in the new deal...how the hell does that happen?! His average TOI went up, too.

see, off on a tangent.

Old
09-21-2010, 08:45 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I totally agree with you that it would be nice to have better options, in fact i would prefer that Zidlicky doesnt even see any time on the PK. Still doesnt change the fact that out of the Dmen on the Wild last year, Zidlicky did as good of a job or better then any of the other dmen. And that includes Johnsson.

I know stats dont tell the whole story but they are alot more partial then fans who have already formed opinions on players and cant see past them

PK TOI - PK TOI/G - PKGA - minutes per PKGA
Zidlicky 219 - 2:48 - 18 - 12

Zanon 257 - 3:10 - 26 - 10

Schultz 197 - 2:28 - 24 - 8

Burns 96 - 2:02 - 9 - 11

Johnsson 129 - 2:29 - 16 - 8
But that's all I have!

Old
09-21-2010, 09:11 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

yeah, blindly following stats is so much better. what was zidlicky ranked in +/- last year? i mean, he was obviously a PK stud, but maybe he should have put a little more effort into playing defense ES.

I am totally biased. Did I already say that? I also hate Rolston.

Old
09-21-2010, 09:20 PM
J22

HA, HA I knew sticking up for Zidlicky in any way would get me roasted on here. Lets be clear on a few things. No I do not think Zidlicky is the Wilds best penalty killer, like i said above i would rather he doesnt even play the PK. That still doesnt change the fact that last year he did as good as or better then any of the Wilds dmen.

Old
09-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
HA, HA I knew sticking up for Zidlicky in any way would get me roasted on here. Lets be clear on a few things. No I do not think Zidlicky is the Wilds best penalty killer, like i said above i would rather he doesnt even play the PK. That still doesnt change the fact that last year he did as good as or better then any of the Wilds dmen.
Yet again, I think you need to be introduced to Greg Zanon. His existence pokes holes in your little theory.

He played better D than anyone else on the team, and he did it cheaper than almost all of them.

Feel free to retort with some more stats that can be made to prove just about any point if you make them convoluted enough, it worked so well for you the first time.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:29 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
Yet again, I think you need to be introduced to Greg Zanon. His existence pokes holes in your little theory.

He played better D than anyone else on the team, and he did it cheaper than almost all of them.

Feel free to retort with some more stats that can be made to prove just about any point if you make them convoluted enough, it worked so well for you the first time.
For the record, that doesn't matter in terms of defensive play unless we're talking about production per dollar.

Old
09-21-2010, 09:32 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Stick to your guns, man. You're attitude is pretty much exactly what mine on skoula was--everyone needs a booster.

Still, I don't know how anyone can look at Zid, note the drop in goals (and already horrible defensive play) and be even the slightest bit satisfied he's playing in a wild sweater. Especially at the price we're paying. He is awful ES--it boggles the mind that he could be better defensively on the PK stats-be-damned.

edit: i apologize for my contribution to the derailing of this thread.