HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does our success depend on our PK?

Old
09-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Pitlick*

vCash: 500
We need Cowen in the lineup to have really good PK.

Phillips-Gonchar
Kuba-Cowen

when 1 is in the box: Carkner

We don't want Karlsson or Campoli doing PK. I'm not sure about Lee, have to see if he has improved this year. And Carkner as fill in guy, but not regular.

Pitlick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 01:29 AM
This
That

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I respectfully disagree with this. I think Phillips is getting a little too much love suddenly; I think Fuhr was crediting him for developing Chara. Phillips is a solid shutdown guy for sure, but any competent defenceman should be able to cover their partner when they are blocking a shot. For the most part, I think Volchenkov did a good job of staying in a decent defensive position when he blocked shots. It's not like he was diving all over the place. Either way, he was pretty good at forcing shooters to the outside or risk hitting him with their shot, which in turn helps our goaltenders face easy shots. On top of that, Volchenkov brought a good deal of grit and checking to the blueline that we won't see from Gonchar.
And I will disagree with that. Granted, Volchenkov managed to cover shooting lanes well. However, by virtue of the fact that he goes down to block a shot, or make an open ice hit, he was out of position. (Meaning that he was unable to adjust since he was fully committed, be it down on the ice or against the boards)

The fact of the matter is that Phillips had to compensate for this, and cover the holes. This is why there were always issues when Phillips was out of the lineup (Volchenkov became exposed by not having his partner who knew his style/where he would be). This is why I think that Volchenkov will have a bad year next year, and why I think that he is overrated, he needs a solid partner who knows the ins and outs of his game to be effective. Phillips grew with him, and could cover him, when Phillips was injured, Volchenkov was brutal.

On a side note, I don't necessarily agree that Phillips created Chara, however, I definitely disagree that Phillips is overrated (I think he is properly appreciated here on HF, but severely underrated by the general fan base). He definitely helped Chara, but didn't create him by any stretch.

This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 02:39 AM
danishh

vCash: 50
our pk is normally solid. Maybe it was philchenkov, but i have to think good forward pkers and solid coaching had a lot to do with it as well.

PP is an issue, as we always seem to have 0-6 or something games, where the PP just kills any chance of winning the game. Our percentage should increase with more offensive weapons this year, but it's consistency i'm worried about.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote