HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nick Foligno - Top 6?

Old
09-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Afro Thunder*

vCash: 500
If Regin loses his top 6 spot to Foligno, Clouston would do something like this.

Michalek- Spezza- Alfy
Foligno- Fisher- Kovalev
Regin- Kelly- Neil
Ruttu- Winchester- Smith

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
If Regin loses his top 6 spot to Foligno, Clouston would do something like this.

Michalek- Spezza- Alfy
Foligno- Fisher- Kovalev
Regin- Kelly- Neil
Ruttu- Winchester- Smith
Or you could wait and see if Regin plays Michalek out of his spot, which he did last year. Yes Michalek had injuries and may have derailed consistency, but the fact of the matter is, when healthy and playing on the top line, Regin showed more promise. But we'll have to let that one play out if it's meant to be.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Leachman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Basically yes. One of the best 3rd line centers or an average 2nd line center. Or an above average top 6 winger.
Yeah. It would be nice to have the luxury of an above average 2nd line centre to slot in front of Fisher. I can't see it happening though.

Leachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:42 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Honestly, Foligno looked better than Regin last night. I wouldn't mind seeing Regin moved down to the 3b line and Foligno moved into the top-6.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:44 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachman View Post
Yeah. It would be nice to have the luxury of an above average 2nd line centre to slot in front of Fisher. I can't see it happening though.
This. Realistically, Regin shouldn't be slotted in at the 2nd line C position. Fisher is better right now than Regin.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:57 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
2.Except...there is no room on the 3rd line. The 3rd line is Ruutu - Kelly - Neil - and don't let anyone say that's the 4th line, it's not. They get 12-15 a game.
Except they were 7th(kelly), 9th (ruutu) and 12th(neil) in icetime amongst forwards. That's not a clear cut 3rd line. Ruutu's ice time should drop too.

If it's a third line, it's an average 3rd liner at best. If its a 4th line, it's one of the best.

In conclusion, the 4th line is ruutu-kelly-neil - and don't let anyone say that's the 3rd line, its not. The third line should have way more offensive potential than 20 point neil and 20 point ruutu or else we're in deep ****. Face it, it's a 4th line, but a good one at that.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Honestly, Foligno looked better than Regin last night. I wouldn't mind seeing Regin moved down to the 3b line and Foligno moved into the top-6.
I know it's cliche at this time of year, but it was one game. And I'm by no means hoping against Foligno, I'm just saying Regin's got some tools that Foligno doesn't and vice versa. It should come down to chemistry with top 6 linemates, which we haven't seen yet.

Old
09-23-2010, 11:02 AM
jbeck5

Am i the only one who wants to try 3 offensive lines?

foligno-spezza-regin
smith-kelly-alfredson
michalek-fisher-kovalev
ruutu-winchester-neil
three somewhat offensive lines with a 4th checking line. I just put up theses lines really quickly so don't look at the specific lines but the idea of spreading out our best players over 3 lines.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:10 AM
benjiv1

IMO Kovalev gets pumped to the third scoring line. On the third line he is more likely to face 2nd and third pairing d, rather than the first pairing or shutdown pairing. Put him with two players that can dig out the puck and back check.

Regin Spezza Michalek
Foligno Fisher Alfredsson
Winchester Smith Kovalev
Ruutu Kelly Neil

Then you give Kovalev priority on the powerplay:

PP1:
Alfredsson Spezza Kovalev

Karlsson Gonchar

benjiv1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:13 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

IMO both Regin & Foligno are very close to being top 6 guys so why not play them together to create a 3rd scoring line. Kelly is good enough & experienced enough to play with Fisher & Kovalev so that has the makings of a decent line. Z. Smith has shown me that he can replace Kelly on the 4th line. Regin may not be ready to be a 2nd line centre this yr but he can certainly learn the position at the NHL level as a 3rd line centre. Regin IMO is better suited to be a C than a LWer. With Foligno as Regin's LWer & Winchester doing the grunt work at RW this line could excel & maybe be a future 2nd line. All 4 centers need to work much harder at winning faceoffs other than that a decent line up.

Michalek - Spezza - Alfredson
Kelly - Fisher - Kovalev - next yr - Foligno - Regin - Fisher
Foligno - Regin - Winchester
Ruutu - Z. Smith - Neil/Shannon

Phillips - Gonchar
Kuba - Karlsson
Cowen - Caukner/Lee - Campoli & Shannon should be traded for picks or prospects.

Leclaire - Elliott

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Leachman

I think the reality is that Clouston will test all of these combinations and more from the get-go.

Old
09-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
If Regin looks good with Spezza again, and Michalek is able to perform as capable... I'd like to see this:
Regin-Spezza-Michalek
Kelly-Fisher-Alfredson
Foligno-?-Kovalev
Ruutu-Smith-Neil
And for the ?, it'd either be Winchester or a spot for one of our kid centers to try to win. Alternatively if Foligno works on faceoffs - could fit in a kid winger that deserves a skill spot without requiring top 6 minutes.
It also gives us back kelly, fisher and alfie as an awesome shutdown line which opponents need to be scared of.
Kovalev/Michalek are interchangeable in this setup as well as Smith/Winchester.

Caeldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:26 AM
smitty10

I'm not sure if he will be a top 6 player on Ottawa this year because of all your depth, but he has definately been a standout player so far in the pre-season. If he keeps this up he could end up having a breakout year.

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Lenny the Lynx

Its funny that in all the line combos people have posted on here Shannon's name is nowhere to be found. I hope that he's not on the team too, but Clouston seems to like him. He wore an A last night even.

Lenny the Lynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Is it just me or does Foligno seem a whole bunch faster so far?

Foligno - Fisher - Kovalev

Fisher Foligno playing the boards and with Kovalev gonna be shooting more it could work out.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Leachman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENNY14O4 View Post

Fisher Foligno playing the boards and with Kovalev gonna be shooting more it could work out.
This line dominated at times last year. I remember some glorious 90 second zone pressure shifts ending in goals last year by the FFK line. Add more finish to Foligno and it could be more dangerous.

Old
09-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENNY14O4 View Post
His legs are obviously in shape because he is moving very well. Injury slowed him down literally.

Old
09-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Regin - Spezza - Michalek/Alfredsson
Wick - Smith - Alfredsson/Michalek
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil

Giving all lines equalish icetime, depending on whos hot.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:33 PM
MoreGore

A perfect lineup can't really exist simply due to injuries. With Foligno looking like he has really improved, he will likely be in the top 6 on a regular basis.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:46 PM
topshelfie

this was my projected lineup during the summer:

Regin Spezza Alfredsson
Kovalev Fisher Michalek
Ruutu Kelly Neil
Foligno Smith Winchester
Shannon

If Foligno keeps playing like this, it's not right to bury him on the 4th line.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Tape2Tape

Foligno has shown he can be a top 6 guy before, but that is always in 5-10 game spurts. I think if he continutes having a strong pre-season, he will be awarded a spot with Kovalev and Fisher.

To an extent I agree Fisher could be a perfect 3rd line Centre, but I just dont see CC breaking up Ruutu-Kelly-Neil right off the bat, and there is no way you can consider it a 4th line.

Fisher will be a better player if he is playing with Kovalev. Regin and Foligno will both play with those guys at some point this year. The thing is, not having Regin in the top 6 makes the rest of the line up awkward, imo. Winchester-Smith-Regin?? I don't know how I feel about that line, or having Regin on the 4th line, but what choice do you have if the first line and third line stays in tact, and Foligno is your top 6 guy?

I'm kind of wondering if BM might be looking at a Ruutu trade, since its the final year of his contract. Smith and Winchester are capable of doing the "plumbers" work. BM might want Regin on the 2nd and Foligno on the 3rd, making Ruutu expendable if you don't want a 1 million dollar guy on the 4th line, and have other guys who can do that 10 mins or so of work every game.

Tape2Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:22 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Also guys, foligno has been on for a while now actually.... he was good in the playoffs if i remember correctly, he played in that international tournament and was one of if not the best forwards for the american team that had some good players. And he has continued that from the looks of it this pre-season.

Now I am definitely a Foligno supporter because I love power forwards, and I believe he has the skill and potential to be a good 2nd line player who could put up 30 goals in his prime + strong physical play and hustle

But the point im trying to make is while this is still a small sample he has been consistent for a few months now

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:57 PM
ShotDownCrosby

Its crazy to look at all the possible line combinations we could have as the Sens. Its nice to see that our third and fourth lines will look pretty awesome regardless.

And I'm pretty excited to see our PP unit. It could be seriously killer!

As for Foligno, if he keeps up this play, he could easily fight for a top six spot, bumping down Regin. Hopefully that causes some fight in both those guys, creating two great forwards working super hard!

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Alpostrophe
Cynic In Residence

To live up to my cynic tag, I'm going to have to say that while Foligno was flying around the last couple of nights he looked like he had the hands of Pavel Bure, but he was getting top line minutes with "other 5" forwards sitting. Foligno has always struggled to get the quantity of ice time required to notch top 6 points. That and he knows full well that he is auditioning for that 2nd LW position and that he'd better outshine Regin. Regin did look tentative in comparison but it is early. If the first two preseason games are any indication of Foligno's quality of play, he deserves a chance at top 6 minutes. Make Phaneuf a pylon in the regular season! Og Snes Og bro!

Alpostrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Sensation

Regin-Spezza-Foligno Wasn't that a line that played pretty well in the playoffs for us?

Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote