HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread XI

Old
05-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread XI

And on it goes.

I'm with BBS. Signing Bryz made a lot less sense than a stopgap veteran, for once.

05-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Its not even Bryz really, they would have made this mistake with any goaltender IMO. The problem is they weren't looking for a stopgap or to groom somebody, they were looking to go all-in regardless of the consequences. And here he comes back to bite them with Bob

Giroux It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 01:02 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Oh we are using roman numerals now? I wonder where that idea came from

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 01:17 PM
MsWoof

I laugh at anyone who tries to downplay Bob's performance here. Remember this: he came here not speaking English, no support system and was a self-taught goalie. He was overplayed badly by Lavi and was exhausted by the time the playoffs came around. Then they brought in Bryz and the writing was on the wall. He just needed some coaching by a good goalie coach and he got that...in Columbus.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 01:22 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I laugh at anyone who tries to downplay Bob's performance here. Remember this: he came here not speaking English, no support system and was a self-taught goalie. He was overplayed badly by Lavi and was exhausted by the time the playoffs came around. Then they brought in Bryz and the writing was on the wall. He just needed some coaching by a good goalie coach and he got that...in Columbus.
Who has downplayed it? We've all been applauding how great he has been!

05-08-2013, 02:29 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Who has downplayed it? We've all been applauding how great he has been!
A few people have made comments that he only had half a good season. All he needed was proper coaching and playing management, and a decent backup.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Broad st phantom

Quote:
A few people have made comments that he only had half a good season. All he needed was proper coaching and playing management, and a decent backup.
I think the majority here realizes how great he has been, but carry on.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Curufinwe

I find it hard to argue with most of this article.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...altending.html

Quote:
My inbox was filled with vitriol for asking Bryzgalov after the season if he thought he'd been professional during his tenure with the Flyers. Some saw that as out of line. On the ice, Bryzgalov has been mostly professional - aside from the water bottle and stick throwing - and he has put in an honest effort. Can anyone say that he has handled himself in the most professional way in front of a microphone? He's been a headline writer's dream and a front-office nightmare.

For the record, I do not believe Bryzgalov to be a bad person. He is a family man who clearly enjoys spending time with his kids, who were often around the rink. I do not believe him to be a bad goaltender. None of this is personal - we don't have any sort of relationship, positive, negative or otherwise. And a reporter's job is not to be liked, but rather to answer tough questions like how to solve the Flyers' goaltending.

I do believe, though, that Bryzgalov has been a marginal goaltender in his 99 appearances as a Flyer. His combined save percentage in 99 games in .902. His goals-against average is 2.61.

Take all of Bryzgalov's "color" out of the mix for a second. Are those stats worth $5.667 million a year for the next 7 years? That's 8.8 percent of next year's salary cap.

When you throw Bryzgalov's personality back into the mix, which clearly has the ability to rub team-first players the wrong way, I think the answer becomes a bit clearer. It's easy to say, because I don't need to write off $23 million over the next 14 years.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post

I stopped reading at "ask tough questions."

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:27 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Are Dominic Roussell or Tommy Soderstrom still active?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:36 AM
BillDineen

Quote:

One of the most idiotic pieces I have ever read. Where to start? His opinion or most others from other reporters on fixing the goaltending or other issues are useless at best.

He and the other writers need readers. They know they can provoke Bryz into saying something that might draw attention to their articles and proceed as such. That is it. That is their assignment.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Mota

Quote:

80% of his argument is based on his own speculation that Bryz is a locker room problem. The only shred of evidence he has of that is something a couple of his former PHX teammates said. If Bryz was really a locker room problem, don't you think Pronger (Bryz's teammate in ANA) wouldve stepped up and said so before they signed him? These guys are professionals. If some players dont like Bryz, it shouldnt change anything. If a player in this locker room did not play their hardest this year bc they dont like Bryz's personality (as Frank is suggesting), then that player is the problem, not Bryz.

I think they should give Bryz one more year and buy him out next summer, but I recognize that there is an argument for buying him out this summer... yet this article does not make it at all. It sounds like Serevalli is just trying to defend himself more than anything.

Also, what would bringing in Bernier say to Mason? Mason played with fire bc he wants to be the future goalie here...how is bringing in another 25 year old with the same goal going to solve anything? If you do buy out Bryz, bringing in a vet makes a lot more sense.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:57 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

bryz sucks

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:57 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
One of the most idiotic pieces I have ever read. Where to start? His opinion or most others from other reporters on fixing the goaltending or other issues are useless at best.

He and the other writers need readers. They know they can provoke Bryz into saying something that might draw attention to their articles and proceed as such. That is it. That is their assignment.
I agree that Bryz's days should be numbered here. Other than that though garbage article that felt like it was written by a teenage girl.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:33 PM
spudnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseGolfCarts View Post
bryz sucks
/.Thread

spudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:34 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
80% of his argument is based on his own speculation that Bryz is a locker room problem. The only shred of evidence he has of that is something a couple of his former PHX teammates said. If Bryz was really a locker room problem, don't you think Pronger (Bryz's teammate in ANA) wouldve stepped up and said so before they signed him? These guys are professionals. If some players dont like Bryz, it shouldnt change anything. If a player in this locker room did not play their hardest this year bc they dont like Bryz's personality (as Frank is suggesting), then that player is the problem, not Bryz.

I think they should give Bryz one more year and buy him out next summer, but I recognize that there is an argument for buying him out this summer... yet this article does not make it at all. It sounds like Serevalli is just trying to defend himself more than anything.

Also, what would bringing in Bernier say to Mason? Mason played with fire bc he wants to be the future goalie here...how is bringing in another 25 year old with the same goal going to solve anything? If you do buy out Bryz, bringing in a vet makes a lot more sense.
To me, bringing in Bernier (of which I am not an advocate) would say to Mason that nobody is being given the starter's job and that the Flyers want two young, talented goaltenders to compete for ice time, just like any other player needs to do on a well-run organization. Bringing in a well-past-his-prime vet sends a bad message to Mason; ie, that Mason is the starter.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:40 PM
spudnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post

Why? Keeping him here 1 more year does what, besides take up 8.8% of the cap space?

spudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:53 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
And that was not going to happen here, unfortunately.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:58 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:

this garbage piece of journalizm is a response to Bryz's interview yesterday in the perpetual war of words between Bryz and Philly media.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:00 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
To me, bringing in Bernier (of which I am not an advocate) would say to Mason that nobody is being given the starter's job and that the Flyers want two young, talented goaltenders to compete for ice time, just like any other player needs to do on a well-run organization. Bringing in a well-past-his-prime vet sends a bad message to Mason; ie, that Mason is the starter.
I agree with this. I think it's a forgone conclusion that Bryz will be out of here before 2014 ends anyway. Unless we need the cap space there's no difference in Bryz being on the roster next year or not.

Despite what they may say the organization is going to spend all their time and focus on Mason next season.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:03 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
There is also another side to this argument- you have to pay twice (both financially and team deppth wise) to bring Bernier here. Bryz must be paid, Bernier must be paid and you need to gut the team to pry Bernier from LA. Once rumors of Bryz's buyout hit the news Bernier's asking price will go up exponentially.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:07 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Now Bob was overplayed? I've never seen a goalie that played in 54 games called overplayed (and certainly not badly overplayed). He played 19 more games than he ever played so he was overplayed? I assume that is the reason you are saying he was over played. Give me a break.

EDIT: Also 7 of those games he played half the game or less, either in relief or being pulled.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
You heard Snider. They are prepared to run with him as the starter.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:05 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Well below comment is spot on at least..

Bright side...at least the polarization with Bryz is not as bad as Hitchcock and Halak these days. Supposedly the two of them got into a big shouting match over playing time.....talk about distraction..during the playoffs no less. I can only imagine Bryz and Hitchcock especially with the way Hitch needles certain players to motivate them....

Quote:
Gambling is exactly what Ed Snider did when he bid against himself for Bryzgalov's $51 million contract 2 years ago, anyway.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...X3H5hBgXhrp.99

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 05-10-2013 at 05:32 PM. Reason: clarify
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Mota

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
Why? Keeping him here 1 more year does what, besides take up 8.8% of the cap space?
They dont need that 8.8% cap space next year. Amnestying Briere and LTIRing Pronger gets them enough cap space. When they will need that cap space is next summer when they need to resign G, Schenn, Coots, and Read. I'd rather they wait and buy out Bryz then instead of them using his money to sign a player they dont need to a big contract this summer, essentially screwing them for next year. They always spend to the cap.

It also gives Mason another year to develop and get his game consistently where he wants it without having the pressure of being "the guy". If Mason out plays Bryz, give him more starts. If Mason flops, then you know you need to look for two new goalies next year. If both play well, then they both play well.

If for some reason a player becomes available that is worth the cap investment, then I'd be ok with buying him out this summer. If they do it just to do it like the article is suggesting, I just think its a mistake.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote