HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Schremp or DubnyK?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-05-2004, 10:22 AM
  #1
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Schremp or DubnyK?

Brownlee is predicting that one of these names will be the 14th pick for the Oilers.

Sorry no link it wasn't up on Canoe yet. Quotes of Prendergast and one by McCarthy.

Some comments by Prendergast "The draft has improved over the course of the year. Its not as deep as it was last year, but there are 35-40 good players. It's not as bad as people think".

"Once you get past the first two, If you called called 20 other teams, they're going to give you a big variety of who the next three best prospects are". (There could be a few trades)

"We won't be trying for the home run", of the 14 the pick, "We'll be going with the best player available. I don't think there's any home runs outside Ovechkin and Malkin"

Talking about Schremp and Dubnyk.

Scremp - "There's some knocks on him, scout Chris McCarthy said. "He might not be as mature as some of the other kids, but he's definitely talented. He's got crazy puck skills.

"The coaching staff of whatever team takes him might be wondering, because he'll drift off and not pay attention, but when you drop the puck he's ready to go. He's a different kid. If he's pushed the right way, you'll get a helluva player" (and if he's not pushed right you get Bonsignore)

"You meet the kid and he's one of the greatest kids you'd want to talk to," Prendergast said. "His focus is that he thinks everything is built around scoring goals.

(most interesting quote IMO) - "If the kid is sitting there at 14, you'd have to take him. He could make your team next year. When you finish around the net and do the things this kid can do, that's exactly what we're looking for. He can score from anywhere. He has those tools.

Dubnyk - "Until Deslauries was signed, goaltending was a huge need," It's still a need because once you get past him our depth in goal is a bit thin. That's a need we'll have to look at ... if the right guy is there, we'd consider taking a goalie at 14th.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
06-05-2004, 10:29 AM
  #2
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Some comments by Prendergast "The draft has improved over the course of the year. Its not as deep as it was last year, but there are 35-40 good players. It's not as bad as people think".
I absolutely agree with this. I've always thought this draft has been underrated. I hear people call it week, and I strongly disagree.

Anyway, if Schremp is there at 14, you go to the podium, call out his name, and consider the day a huge success.

If they take Dubnyk at #14, I will literally cry for my poor Oiler pride.

Seachd is offline  
Old
06-05-2004, 10:34 AM
  #3
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I absolutely agree with this. I've always thought this draft has been underrated. I hear people call it week, and I strongly disagree.

Anyway, if Schremp is there at 14, you go to the podium, call out his name, and consider the day a huge success.

If they take Dubnyk at #14, I will literally cry for my poor Oiler pride.
You and I disagree on this. Why would Oiler fans cry when goaltending IMO is our weakest area and obviously the most important?

I keep on reading this but as I posted in a post yesterday and was almost exactly echoed by Prendergast today. If the right goaltender it there you have to consider a taking him.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
06-05-2004, 10:38 AM
  #4
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
You and I disagree on this. Why would Oiler fans cry when goaltending IMO is our weakest area and obviously the most important?

I keep on reading this but as I posted in a post yesterday and was almost exactly echoed by Prendergast today. If the right goaltender it there you have to consider a taking him.
If they think Dubnyk is the right goaltender. But when goalies who are just as good (or even better, according to a lot of people) have an excellent possiblilty of lasting well into the 2nd, it seems like a massive reach. We, as Oiler fans, expect the odd reach from them now and then, but I, personally, would hate that pick.

Seachd is offline  
Old
06-05-2004, 10:41 AM
  #5
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Schwarz or Montoya would be the right goalie -NOT Dubnyk! I'd smile ear to ear all week if Schremp falls to us!

thome_26 is offline  
Old
06-05-2004, 10:57 AM
  #6
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Geez, spaz44, thanks again for this. Great stuff (and I thought I'd be bored when taking my kids to the park today! now I'll just buy a SUN!) and very interesting.

I don't think they'll take a G at 14, although maybe later in the first round. As for Schremp, he's a high skill guy and the Oilers have fewer of them than anything.

I still think they'll take someone like Picard, Smid or Korpikoski (if available).

Lowetide is offline  
Old
06-05-2004, 10:57 AM
  #7
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
If they think Dubnyk is the right goaltender. But when goalies who are just as good (or even better, according to a lot of people) have an excellent possiblilty of lasting well into the 2nd, it seems like a massive reach. We, as Oiler fans, expect the odd reach from them now and then, but I, personally, would hate that pick.
I don't know if they will last into the second round. Dubnyk is not rated that highly behind Montoya. But the Oilers could take Schremp at 14 and gamble that Dubnyk might be there at 24 or 25.

IMO that strategy makes sense.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
06-05-2004, 11:02 AM
  #8
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Geez, spaz44, thanks again for this. Great stuff (and I thought I'd be bored when taking my kids to the park today! now I'll just buy a SUN!) and very interesting.

I don't think they'll take a G at 14, although maybe later in the first round. As for Schremp, he's a high skill guy and the Oilers have fewer of them than anything.

I still think they'll take someone like Picard, Smid or Korpikoski (if available).
I found it interesting that they think Schremp could make the team next year and not that surprising. Earlier in the year Redline had him rated very high but then dropped him because of character issues.

In a way Schremp is a home run pick IMO because if the Oilers can't reign him in he will be a bust but if they can stoke a fire under his butt he could be a great player.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
06-05-2004, 11:12 AM
  #9
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
I don't know if they will last into the second round. Dubnyk is not rated that highly behind Montoya. But the Oilers could take Schremp at 14 and gamble that Dubnyk might be there at 24 or 25.

IMO that strategy makes sense.
Well, I mean guys like Shantz and Peters. A lot of people think Shantz is better than Dubnyk. Unfortunately, the Oilers' 2nd (if it even is a 2nd), will be very low, and someone like Shantz might not be around at that time.

I just don't think Dubnyk will be the best player available at any time in the first round. But too bad for me I'm not making the picks. It just explains why I would be against taking Dubnyk in the first.

Seachd is offline  
Old
06-05-2004, 11:14 AM
  #10
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
I found it interesting that they think Schremp could make the team next year and not that surprising. Earlier in the year Redline had him rated very high but then dropped him because of character issues.

In a way Schremp is a home run pick IMO because if the Oilers can't reign him in he will be a bust but if they can stoke a fire under his butt he could be a great player.

Based on talent (from what we read) Schremp has the potential to be one of those guys who has impact (the only time I've seen him he made these easy, smooth plays like Patty Lafontaine used to, just pure skill). He finds open ice, and the puck finds him.

I think he'll be long gone at 14.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
06-05-2004, 11:53 AM
  #11
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,754
vCash: 500
Scremph would be great at 14 but I really don't see him there that late... It would be nice though

s7ark is offline  
Old
06-05-2004, 12:01 PM
  #12
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Well, I mean guys like Shantz and Peters. A lot of people think Shantz is better than Dubnyk. Unfortunately, the Oilers' 2nd (if it even is a 2nd), will be very low, and someone like Shantz might not be around at that time.

I just don't think Dubnyk will be the best player available at any time in the first round. But too bad for me I'm not making the picks. It just explains why I would be against taking Dubnyk in the first.
I don't honestly know how to rate goalies, but would Dubnyk's size and projectable body (6'5.5, 190 something) be the reason they love him so much? I understand about reflexes and quick feet, but he looks like a KP draft from that angle.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
06-05-2004, 12:15 PM
  #13
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner
 
Guy Flaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Press Box & on Air
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,245
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
I've got a ton of quotes on most of the top 50 players in the draft... I've been holding onto them until draft day because the people I talked to didn't want to be tipping their hand before the draft. I did mention weeks ago that Dubnyk was held in equal regard to Schwarz and Montoya though and I've also been telling you to thik offensive forward for draft day too.

Guy Flaming is offline  
Old
06-05-2004, 12:17 PM
  #14
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,124
vCash: 500
From someone who has seen Dubynk play quite a bit, if I was the Oilers I'd avoid him. He's very, very big, but his athleticism, or lack thereof, bothers me. He's just slow in the net, and he can really look brutal some nights. He is very good positionally and he's got a decent glove hand, but unless he makes a total change of paradigm and ups his work ethic significantly, I have trouble picturing him in the NHL.

That said, Schremp I think is the 3rd or 4th best player in the draft this year. Getting him at #14 would be an out and out steal! I hear Buffalo likes him a ton though, so you might have to move up to get him.

EDIT: Agree with Seachd whole heartidly on Shantz > Dubynk. In fact, I think Shantz with the Flyers pick would be a very adept selection.

Mizral is offline  
Old
06-05-2004, 01:06 PM
  #15
Sethis
Registered User
 
Sethis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,402
vCash: 725
It's also very reassuring to hear that Schremp is 6'0 1/2 feet/200 pounds, and he's not too small a center. Still, if Schremp slips to the Oilers at 14 I will be doing backflips around my house.

I'd be amazed if he slipped out of the top 6 personally.


Last edited by Sethis: 06-05-2004 at 01:21 PM.
Sethis is offline  
Old
06-05-2004, 01:06 PM
  #16
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
I've got a ton of quotes on most of the top 50 players in the draft... I've been holding onto them until draft day because the people I talked to didn't want to be tipping their hand before the draft. I did mention weeks ago that Dubnyk was held in equal regard to Schwarz and Montoya though and I've also been telling you to thik offensive forward for draft day too.

Yup that is what I have been hearing too. Lowe is looking for a goal scorer in this years draft.

s7ark is offline  
Old
06-05-2004, 05:40 PM
  #17
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis
It's also very reassuring to hear that Schremp is 6'0 1/2 feet/200 pounds, and he's not too small a center. Still, if Schremp slips to the Oilers at 14 I will be doing backflips around my house.

I'd be amazed if he slipped out of the top 6 personally.
Remember that that there are some issues that have nothing to do with how talented he is, Redline had him rated at number 7 early even though many scouts already thought he was a Prima Donna.

Then Schremp skipped out on the Missasauga Ice Dogs because of their policy that all their players attend school. Schremp though though that this was a majour inconvience and then would accept a trade only to London, Sarnia or Plymouth. (Doesn't this whole scenario seem eerily too familar). Obviously scouts didn't like the fact that he just skipped out on his team.

Some team that picks before the Oilers may pick him but there is a chance he good drop.

Also scouts were concerned with his playoff performance. Mckeens has him ranked 13th, Redline 14th, The Hockey News has him the highest at 10th.


Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 06-05-2004 at 06:11 PM.
hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
06-05-2004, 06:17 PM
  #18
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner
 
Guy Flaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Press Box & on Air
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,245
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Also scouts were concerned with his playoff performance. Mckeens has him ranked 13th, Redline 14th, The Hockey News has him the highest at 10th.

ISS has him in the top 5... not going to say exactly where because it's not for me to give away for free, sorry.

Guy Flaming is offline  
Old
06-06-2004, 01:16 AM
  #19
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,572
vCash: 500
Two words, one apostrophe: Patrick O'Sullivan

29 teams are kicking themselves for not taking a flyer on this kid. He showed a lot of character this year at the WJC and this is a kid with REAL problems, not the mickey mouse stuff that Schremp apparently has. Primadonna? He's 18 years old. Spezza asked for a trade in junior. Are you going to tell me he's not going to be a great offensive player? He was darn good this season and he's 20.

Judging by K.P.'s comments I wouldn't be at all shocked to see the Oilers move up a bit if Schemp is still there at say 8-10, which wouldn't suprise me.

It's actually not that far fetched to see him falling to 14. Buffalo could very well take a defenseman. Campbell is taking a long time to round out his game and Zhitnik and J.Patrick are UFAs. They'll take a defenseman IMO.

So which teams are the other threats to take Schremp? IMO the 5-11 range are the threats to take Schremp. He is only ranked no.10 by CSS so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he'd be there at 14. Should be interesting.

Hemsky4PM is offline  
Old
06-06-2004, 01:24 AM
  #20
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
ISS has him in the top 5... not going to say exactly where because it's not for me to give away for free, sorry.
I don't feel quilty: He's ranked #3 by ISS according to their May 2004 rankings...which are convieniently posted on the left hand side of the HF Entry Draft Page.

Don't stress Guy

Hemsky4PM is offline  
Old
06-06-2004, 01:34 AM
  #21
Boondock Saint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
Two words, one apostrophe: Patrick O'Sullivan

29 teams are kicking themselves for not taking a flyer on this kid.
First of all, O'Sullivan was selected in the second round. You don't "take a flyer" on a kid in the second round. Maybe on the second day of the draft, but not that early. You don't just throw away a pick that high on a kid who you feel has serious issues that could very well hinder his future development.

Secondly, while O'Sullivan had a good year, he is far from a safe bet. He still, like most junior players, has a long way to go before he is ready to take a regular shift in the NHL.

Personally, I'm just fine with Colin MacDonald over Pat O'Sullivan..... and I'd bet KP wouldn't change it if he could go back either.

Boondock Saint is offline  
Old
06-06-2004, 02:49 AM
  #22
elphy101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: City of Champions
Posts: 1,568
vCash: 500
O'Sullivan and in the previous year Jiri Hudler were both expected to be top 10 picks at worst top 15 picks. They both fell to the 2nd round. I think Schremp could follow that example especially because of the benching. This guy was benched by his coach in game 7 of their playoff series. I think this would draw alot of questions/doubts into scouts minds.

But then again, I would love to see the Oilers land Schremp. He is the skilled forward that they desperately need. And if talk that he might be NHL ready is true, he's that much better.

elphy101 is offline  
Old
06-06-2004, 02:56 AM
  #23
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
I think the talk about Schremp's fall is a little overstated. I can't see him dropping below top 10 simply because of the skill level he possesses. As for a dropper in this year's draft, it wouldn't surprise me to see Wolski make the plunge.

momentai is offline  
Old
06-06-2004, 08:02 AM
  #24
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
I think the talk about Schremp's fall is a little overstated. I can't see him dropping below top 10 simply because of the skill level he possesses. As for a dropper in this year's draft, it wouldn't surprise me to see Wolski make the plunge.

Agreed. To be honest, it looks for all the world like he identified two guys who WON'T be taken but could loosely be associated with the first round. If he had identified Ladislav Smid and Alexander Picard it would have been more realistic but may have betrayed a trust.

Just a thought.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
06-06-2004, 09:59 AM
  #25
Goil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St Albert
Posts: 568
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Goil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
If they think Dubnyk is the right goaltender. But when goalies who are just as good (or even better, according to a lot of people) have an excellent possiblilty of lasting well into the 2nd, it seems like a massive reach. We, as Oiler fans, expect the odd reach from them now and then, but I, personally, would hate that pick.
Seachd is right. Hell, JDD fell to the second round after HN had him going 10th. If they want a goalie, the Flyers pick is the one to use, not the first one.

Goil is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.