HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

CBJ Lounge XVIII (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-01-2010, 02:46 PM
  #101
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
I still have AOL install disks -- floppies. 'Cause you never know.

Gaming in the '90s and being charged by the hour was exciting. But, no matter how high the bill got, I could always point at my older brother as an example of how bad things could really get. You're lucky, BJN. I was in heaven when AOL offered a monthly/yearly fee.

I actually miss dial-up because it was more impressive to hear it connecting. On the other hand, since I basically spent all night online, the inevitable disconnects resulted in very noisy reconnects. I always tried to smother the sound somehow. It never worked.

I think I dropped AOL for good around 2001, and never looked back. I sometimes depress myself by reading comments on their news sites. "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." Alas, I think AOL's community is probably pretty representative of actual society.

Meemoooriiiieees.
It was certainly nice, we had 2 accounts up to $1500 a month on both. They wanted us to be knowledgeable when users called since we were competing with AOL, so they encouraged us to browse at work. I couldnt imagine the proxy reports from us!

BluejacketNut is offline  
Old
11-01-2010, 02:56 PM
  #102
Happy Pony
Registered User
 
Happy Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 2,659
vCash: 500
Sam and Pete hit the nail on the head.

She just wants validation from you that her view of things is correct.

Happy Pony is offline  
Old
11-01-2010, 03:06 PM
  #103
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Whatever you do, don't say anything too critical.
"Critical" wha?

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline  
Old
11-01-2010, 03:09 PM
  #104
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express
 
JF Omalycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 4,313
vCash: 500
Pete, Fro, and Sam failed to ask the critical question.
Is she hot?

JF Omalycat is offline  
Old
11-01-2010, 04:29 PM
  #105
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 13,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF Omalycat View Post
Pete, Fro, and Sam failed to ask the critical question.
Is she hot?
i failed to ask...but it was going thru my mind the entire time

Fro is offline  
Old
11-01-2010, 04:38 PM
  #106
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."
 
CBJSprague24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 52mi from the Nat
Country: United States
Posts: 6,817
vCash: 500
Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Take it from someone in a similar age range: Whatever you do, don't say anything too critical.

99% of the time people ask you for advice, they've already got their mind made up and are only looking for you to validate their opinion. This is especially true of these situations. As good of a friend as she may be, she's prob. not going to listen to you.

Best to not emotionally invest yourself in the situation.
Somehow I didn't think of it that way (bolded), but you're right. I was supportive at first but started throwing up the BS flags once even I started thinking "Oh, you've got to be f-ing kidding me" after hearing an "update" not long after this started. I went from cautiously optimistic to to (since she asked) calling it like I saw it.

I figured being too critical would cause the proverbial stuff to hit the fan, so I've watched what I've said while still trying to get the message across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
"Critical" wha?
We're talking emotions more fragile than the CBJ's newly rediscovered "defeatist mentality" here.

It's critical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF Omalycat View Post
Pete, Fro, and Sam failed to ask the critical question.
Is she hot?
Best visualization I can give you is Sarah Chalke from Scrubs. So if Dr. Elliot Reid gets your attention, then yeah. (For the record, it definitely works for me.)


Last edited by CBJSprague24: 11-01-2010 at 04:46 PM.
CBJSprague24 is offline  
Old
11-01-2010, 04:55 PM
  #107
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 13,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
Best visualization I can give you is Sarah Chalke from Scrubs. So if Dr. Elliot Reid gets your attention, then yeah. (For the record, it definitely works for me.)
if that's the case, i can help

Fro is offline  
Old
11-01-2010, 05:23 PM
  #108
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
We're talking emotions more fragile than the CBJ's newly rediscovered "defeatist mentality" here.

It's critical.
Figured as much.

For the record, when I read your post, I considered replying

Quote:
No
Then figured pete had it covered.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline  
Old
11-01-2010, 07:43 PM
  #109
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
Thanks for the input.

Somehow I didn't think of it that way (bolded), but you're right. I was supportive at first but started throwing up the BS flags once even I started thinking "Oh, you've got to be f-ing kidding me" after hearing an "update" not long after this started. I went from cautiously optimistic to to (since she asked) calling it like I saw it.
I figured being too critical would cause the proverbial stuff to hit the fan, so I've watched what I've said while still trying to get the message across.
We're talking emotions more fragile than the CBJ's newly rediscovered "defeatist mentality" here.
It's critical.
Best visualization I can give you is Sarah Chalke from Scrubs. So if Dr. Elliot Reid gets your attention, then yeah. (For the record, it definitely works for me.)
My advice: if you're asking for love advice from a bunch of guys on a hockey message board, you need FarmersOnly.com

JACKETfan is offline  
Old
11-01-2010, 07:50 PM
  #110
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."
 
CBJSprague24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 52mi from the Nat
Country: United States
Posts: 6,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
My advice: if you're asking for love advice from a bunch of guys on a hockey message board, you need FarmersOnly.com


I just don't get it.

(I'm city folks.)


Last edited by CBJSprague24: 11-01-2010 at 07:55 PM.
CBJSprague24 is offline  
Old
11-02-2010, 06:51 PM
  #111
Ludicrous Speed
Registered User
 
Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Killumbus
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 10,965
vCash: 500
So, did you guys vote for Kim Doucher or Kimberly Cocroft?


Ludicrous Speed is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 06:13 AM
  #112
Handyy
Registered User
 
Handyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Jyvaskyla, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,984
vCash: 500
Hey all. I know this is a non-sports thread, but here goes...

I'm trying to get back to normal life and also trying to climb back to Blue Jackets wagon. Can anyone summarize the season so far for me, are we in the spot we right now belong? I only had the chance to take a quick look at the standings while back and then we were clearly out of the playoff picture. So what has changed and does it look like it'll continue going this way?

Handyy is offline  
Old
11-06-2010, 10:24 PM
  #113
CBJCougar
Registered User
 
CBJCougar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Inside a house
Country: United States
Posts: 5,028
vCash: 500
Hey, I need some help. I really want a hockey stick. I would love to have one of Boll's, Klesla's or I don't care. Where would I find one? Price? Anyone know?

CBJCougar is offline  
Old
11-06-2010, 11:37 PM
  #114
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."
 
CBJSprague24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 52mi from the Nat
Country: United States
Posts: 6,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Hey, I need some help. I really want a hockey stick. I would love to have one of Boll's, Klesla's or I don't care. Where would I find one? Price? Anyone know?
They sell used equipment at games. As you enter the arena from the plaza, turn left just past The Blue Line. Before you get to the bars & grills on the concourse, there'll be a stand with used pants, jerseys, sticks, etc. If you enter from the West entrance (escalators), walk as if you're going to the store & it'll be on the right. They've got a sheet listing what they have available & the prices. I don't know if they have the sales during the week, though.

You could also try one of the seasonal locker room sales. I picked up a Malhotra & Chimera stick in August of 07 for right around $100 combined.

CBJSprague24 is offline  
Old
11-06-2010, 11:55 PM
  #115
CBJCougar
Registered User
 
CBJCougar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Inside a house
Country: United States
Posts: 5,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
They sell used equipment at games. As you enter the arena from the plaza, turn left just past The Blue Line. Before you get to the bars & grills on the concourse, there'll be a stand with used pants, jerseys, sticks, etc. If you enter from the West entrance (escalators), walk as if you're going to the store & it'll be on the right. They've got a sheet listing what they have available & the prices. I don't know if they have the sales during the week, though.

You could also try one of the seasonal locker room sales. I picked up a Malhotra & Chimera stick in August of 07 for right around $100 combined.
Really? When is this sale? Will you let me know? I will check out the other the next game I go to.

I know it might sound silly, but I have all these jerseys matted and framed and would love to have sticks for each of them, which means I need a Filatov and Nash too.

Thanks CBJSprague!!

CBJCougar is offline  
Old
11-07-2010, 10:49 AM
  #116
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."
 
CBJSprague24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 52mi from the Nat
Country: United States
Posts: 6,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Really? When is this sale? Will you let me know? I will check out the other the next game I go to.

I know it might sound silly, but I have all these jerseys matted and framed and would love to have sticks for each of them, which means I need a Filatov and Nash too.

Thanks CBJSprague!!
No problem! The locker room sale I went to was in August (Jeff Rimer was actually hanging out in the locker room & I swear I gave a positive review of the new Bourne movie to a recently-fired Doug MacLean as he walked by the Buffalo restaurant later that night), but I remember hearing about others throughout the year.

Be prepared to pay out the nose for a Nash stick, though. The prices seem to vary based upon the popularity of the player...you may be able to grab some ex-player gear (Jurcina, Torres) or "lesser known" Jackets like MacKenzie or Murray (for example) for a decent price, but Juice/RJ/Nash will be up there a bit.

CBJSprague24 is offline  
Old
11-07-2010, 03:51 PM
  #117
CBJCougar
Registered User
 
CBJCougar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Inside a house
Country: United States
Posts: 5,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
No problem! The locker room sale I went to was in August (Jeff Rimer was actually hanging out in the locker room & I swear I gave a positive review of the new Bourne movie to a recently-fired Doug MacLean as he walked by the Buffalo restaurant later that night), but I remember hearing about others throughout the year.

Be prepared to pay out the nose for a Nash stick, though. The prices seem to vary based upon the popularity of the player...you may be able to grab some ex-player gear (Jurcina, Torres) or "lesser known" Jackets like MacKenzie or Murray (for example) for a decent price, but Juice/RJ/Nash will be up there a bit.
Yeah, I can see all of those being house payment kinda money. *sighs* Oh well. Maybe one day I'll be at the tunnel and one of the guys will take pity on me if I die my hair silver! LOL

CBJCougar is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 04:56 PM
  #118
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Columbus
Country: Colombia
Posts: 13,429
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
I just saw that one latina from the Oakbrook Manors commercial.

Prob. should have put this in the Interesting Info thread.

__________________
Truth should never get in the way of a good persecution complex.
Samkow is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 05:21 PM
  #119
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."
 
CBJSprague24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 52mi from the Nat
Country: United States
Posts: 6,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
Hey all. I know this is a non-sports thread, but here goes...

I'm trying to get back to normal life and also trying to climb back to Blue Jackets wagon. Can anyone summarize the season so far for me, are we in the spot we right now belong? I only had the chance to take a quick look at the standings while back and then we were clearly out of the playoff picture. So what has changed and does it look like it'll continue going this way?
8-5-0 so far this season. For about 20 minutes Thursday night, we led the Central Division.

The CBJ has either won or, with the exceptions of the first San Jose game and Saturday's game against Minnesota, been blown out.

Opening Night against Chicago was a poor effort, a home Friday night game against Calgary was even worse & the road game in Colorado was equally bad. The other losses came in the first of two in Sweden & was winnable, while the team really shouldn't have lost against Minnesota.

When they do win, they've been able to beat top opponents but are yet to score more than three goals in a game, win or lose. Perhaps the most impressive win was a come-from-behind road win against Chicago. The Jackets scored three unanswered in the last 21 minutes of the game to win. Mathieu Garon was on a two-game shutout streak (wins against Montreal and Atlanta) before losing against Minnesota on Saturday night.

The team has played well, especially on the road, but most of the scoring has actually come from the third and fourth lines. Kyle Wilson has his first four NHL goals this season, Chris Clark was the team point leader at one point with six assists. Ethan Moreau played surprisingly well before getting hurt. Derrick Brassard and Rick Nash have come to life of late & are scoring. Brass is on a 5 or 7 game point scoring streak.

Moreau is out for maybe 3-4 weeks more at least. Huselius is hurt & may be out a while. Commodore and Murray were just taken off IR.

CBJSprague24 is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 05:24 PM
  #120
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd
 
Matthew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,305
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Tonight at 11pm marks the Return of the King.


Matthew is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 05:27 PM
  #121
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey
 
Timeless Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 16,002
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Hell yes, Team Coco ftw. I will be watching.

Timeless Winter is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 10:15 PM
  #122
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."
 
CBJSprague24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 52mi from the Nat
Country: United States
Posts: 6,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
I just saw that one latina from the Oakbrook Manors commercial.

Prob. should have put this in the Interesting Info thread.
This post is useless without pictures.

Is she hotter than Blue Jackets TV's Brittany?


Last edited by CBJSprague24: 11-08-2010 at 10:26 PM.
CBJSprague24 is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 11:31 PM
  #123
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Hell yes, Team Coco ftw. I will be watching.
Really? I would have pegged you for Team Edward.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline  
Old
11-09-2010, 08:17 AM
  #124
Feicht
Registered User
 
Feicht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Twin Cities
Country: Austria
Posts: 7,287
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Tonight at 11pm marks the Return of the King.


Feicht is offline  
Old
11-10-2010, 08:22 AM
  #125
Handyy
Registered User
 
Handyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Jyvaskyla, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Tonight at 11pm marks the Return of the King.
The first show was pretty cool, but it still left me the feeling that after the new show feeling is over, it won't get too good ratings... I don't know, I kinda expected much more than one cool intro and basically then just on to the guests :/

Handyy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.