HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Jared Cowen makes big impression on Ottawa Senators

Old
09-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Pyke*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner View Post
The senators management always screw up the young players rookie years, I cant see ottawa thinking that far ahead. They will call up cowen as he is needed or will stay on with ottawa.
If he goes to juniors, he CANNOT BE CALLED UP until his junior year is over.

Spokane DOES have a weaker team this season apparently (they went out in 7 in the first round last year), so it's unlikely they're in for a deep playoff drive; but to me that's even more of a reason to keep him in Ottawa.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post

Spokane DOES have a weaker team this season apparently (they went out in 7 in the first round last year), so it's unlikely they're in for a deep playoff drive; but to me that's even more of a reason to keep him in Ottawa.
If he's in junior he's likely traded at the deadline to a contender. I seriously think he'd physically make a mockery of the WHL this year.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
If he's in junior he's likely traded at the deadline to a contender. I seriously think he'd physically make a mockery of the WHL this year.
Good point. It's a shame we can't tell Spokane not to trade him.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 05:36 PM
TooLow494

Quote:

how was nazem kadri and brayden schenn able to play a game for their respective clubs in the middle of the season...
i think they called it an emergency call up but im not sure how that works... can someone shed some light on this?

TooLow494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenator19 View Post
how was nazem kadri and brayden schenn able to play a game for their respective clubs in the middle of the season...
i think they called it an emergency call up but im not sure how that works... can someone shed some light on this?
Isn't that just when it would be impossible to get a player from your AHL affiliate in time. Like say if someone had an injury during the morning skate and your AHL affiliate is on the road somewhere you're allowed to recall a junior prospect instead.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenator19 View Post
I thought they were considered Pro Tryouts?? maybe before they signed an ELC?

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Cowen played one game last year.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Alfredsson11

Quote:

Just because Spokane has a crap team this year is no reason to keep Cowen in Ottawa... that makes no sense...the only way he will be in ottawa is if he is if he earns a spot on the team.

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 06:32 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredsson11 View Post
Just because Spokane has a crap team this year is no reason to keep Cowen in Ottawa... that makes no sense...the only way he will be in ottawa is if he is if he earns a spot on the team.
Agreed. A lot can be learned for a player like Cowen when he'll be the team's best player. He'll get all the PP time and really get to lead. It did a lot of good for Tyler Myers.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Agreed. A lot can be learned for a player like Cowen when he'll be the team's best player. He'll get all the PP time and really get to lead. It did a lot of good for Tyler Myers.
Myers was a rare case, I can't think of a player who developed more in a single offseason than Myers. He was just a big guy who could skate in the summer of 08 and fall 09 he was dominating the WHL and helped us reach the Memorial Cup finals. One year later he wins the calder, helps his team finish top 3 in the conference and hits the 10G plateau and almost 50P.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
As HTV said expecting something Myers-like is unrealistic but I agree unless Cowen shows greatness after 9 games I would want him returned, especially if Campoli is playing decently by then

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Doig

If they all hit their potential, the

Karlsson - Cowen
Rundblad - Wiercioch

would bring man tears to my eyes.

Doig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Karlssonlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doig View Post

Karlsson - Cowen
Rundblad - Wiercioch

Lee - Gryba

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 10:29 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Myers was a rare case, I can't think of a player who developed more in a single offseason than Myers. He was just a big guy who could skate in the summer of 08 and fall 09 he was dominating the WHL and helped us reach the Memorial Cup finals. One year later he wins the calder, helps his team finish top 3 in the conference and hits the 10G plateau and almost 50P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
As HTV said expecting something Myers-like is unrealistic but I agree unless Cowen shows greatness after 9 games I would want him returned, especially if Campoli is playing decently by then
I agree that expecting him to develop the way Myers did is unrealistic, it was just a recent case that I think is valid. I always think what might have happened if Myers had stuck in Buffalo his first year and Schenn had been returned to Kelowna instead of playing as an 18 year old.

People who say he can't learn anything else in junior are just way off the mark. There is so much more he can do as a defenseman imo, he really has all the tools to be a great two way player. I think his top end potential is that of a Ryan Suter.

Either way, I think he stays in Ottawa to start the season. He does look ready to play at this level. I'd like to see his 9 games then see him in Spokane and possibly captain Canada to gold in Buffalo.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 10:35 PM
jordan7hm

Quote:
I agree that expecting him to develop the way Myers did is unrealistic, it was just a recent case that I think is valid. I always think what might have happened if Myers had stuck in Buffalo his first year and Schenn had been returned to Kelowna instead of playing as an 18 year old.

People who say he can't learn anything else in junior are just way off the mark. There is so much more he can do as a defenseman imo, he really has all the tools to be a great two way player. I think his top end potential is that of a Ryan Suter.

Either way, I think he stays in Ottawa to start the season. He does look ready to play at this level. I'd like to see his 9 games then see him in Spokane and possibly captain Canada to gold in Buffalo.
Pretty well agree with all of this.

Of course he'll start in Ottawa and most likely play the full 9 games (if Kuba was ready, I'm not sure that would be the case).

He still has a lot to learn, and junior is the place to do it.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
If today's practice lines and Dundas line-up give any indication, Cowen has a spot to lose on this team.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:36 AM
upperhouse

I have already resigned mysellf to the fact taht he will be going back to junior. I just hope he is returned to Junior before Oct 30th, so I can see him play in Regina. Then I hope he is dealt to an Eastern Conference team in January.

upperhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Saw the Replay View Post
If today's practice lines and Dundas line-up give any indication, Cowen has a spot to lose on this team.
I keep it saying it, they really don't want to send him back to junior. He's had a spot to lose at this camp for a long time, it's just now looking a lot more like he's not going to lose it.

Old
09-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperhouse View Post
I have already resigned mysellf to the fact taht he will be going back to junior. I just hope he is returned to Junior before Oct 30th, so I can see him play in Regina. Then I hope he is dealt to an Eastern Conference team in January.
I don't see any reason for you to come to that conclusion already.

Old
09-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Saw the Replay View Post
What are they...

Old
09-27-2010, 11:50 AM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
What are they...
Phillips-Karlsson
Campoli-Gonchar
Cowen-Carkner
Hale-Lee.

I hate the campoli pairing, that guy hasn't proven crap to be paired up in the top 4 with Gonchar over Cowen, Lee or Carkner.

I would like to see

Philips- Karlsson
Cowen-Gonchar
Carkner- Lee
Benoit- Hale

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Phillips-Karlsson
Campoli-Gonchar
Cowen-Carkner
Hale-Lee.

I hate the campoli pairing, that guy hasn't proven crap to be paired up in the top 4 with Gonchar over Cowen, Lee or Carkner.
If anything they're giving Campoli a fair shake in order to get him going, his time is winding down.

Old
09-27-2010, 11:54 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Cowen's coach in Spokane has said that he has nothing left to learn in junior & we can see by these preseason games that he is big enough & strong enough already for the NHL game. Even if Murray trades one of Lee or Campoli we will still have some good depth on defence with Lee as a 7th D & Hale, Benoit, Gryba & Wiercioch all in Bingo. So Ottawa can afford to keep him in Ottawa & let him practise & play with NHLers & learn the game directly from the best.

Cowen seems to keep getting better with every game & Ottawa can really use his size, strength, reach & toughness on defence. IMO Cowen & Carkner together are an upgrade & can be the new shutdown tandem, they are both huge & tough to play against. Trading Campoli for a pick might come in handy at the trade deadline.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:54 AM
pt_mck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doig View Post

Karlsson - Cowen
Rundblad - Wiercioch

It moved.

pt_mck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:57 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
I have watched every game and he has played much better against me than he did with boys. I agree with his junior coach, junior would be a waste. Probelm is he would probably play down to their level as he did in the rookie camp. He can't go to the A so I think management will for sure give him the 9 games and I have a feeling he could be sticking, whether he is a scratch half the time or not.

I have been really impressed with his exhibition games whereas the rookie tournament he looked tentatve. He looked scared to unleash his size whereas with the men he is really going full tilt....me likey.

Kadri played a game last year as an emergency callup for injury, there is that loophole.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote