HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Guerin back to Beantown(proposal)

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2004, 11:05 AM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

vCash: 500
Guerin back to Beantown(proposal)

Here's a deal: Bill Guerin to Boston for the rights to Brian Rolston, Andy Hilbert and a 2nd round draft choice. The Bruins would then sign Jason Allison while letting Martin Lapointe go, making line combinatiojs of Samsonov-Thornton-Murray and Knuble-Allison-Guerin possible for a firewagon hockey team with unstoppable offence. I await your bashing or mild support of this proposal.

Old
06-05-2004, 11:08 AM
E = CH²

Misleading title...

Old
06-05-2004, 11:15 AM
RuthlessRobb

Send a message via AIM to RuthlessRobb
i don't see the B's shelling out that kind of money to try and rekindle players of old

Old
06-05-2004, 11:24 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Well, Brian Rolston is a UFA in July so no one will be trading for him... Martin Lapointe's contract is guaranteed through the end of next season and can't simply be "let go" unless the Bruins buy him out, and the Bruins wouldn't add the salaries of Guerin ($9M/yr) and Allison under any circumstances, much less when they have a hard decision pending on what to do about Sergei Gonchar (arbitration eligible) and his pending raise, heading into the CBA re-negotiations.

There are any number of ways in which this doesn't make a lot of sense, not least of which is the fact that money was scarcely factored into the proposal.

Old
06-05-2004, 11:26 AM
Habs4ever

And Glen Murray is UFA as well guess what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
Well, Brian Rolston is a UFA in July so no one will be trading for him... Martin Lapointe's contract is guaranteed through the end of next season and can't simply be "let go" unless the Bruins buy him out, and the Bruins wouldn't add the salaries of Guerin ($9M/yr) and Allison under any circumstances, much less when they have a hard decision pending on what to do about Sergei Gonchar (arbitration eligible) and his pending raise, heading into the CBA re-negotiations.

There are any number of ways in which this doesn't make a lot of sense, not least of which is the fact that money was scarcely factored into the proposal.

get ready for rebuilding year.

Old
06-05-2004, 11:30 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Rolston's UFA rights are worth about a 7th rounder, at best. Andy Hilbert has been nothing but dissapointing and the 2nd is nothing special, even the lowly Chicago Blackhawks have one. I know I can't expect too much in return, but I am nearly positive the value in return will be greater than an average prospect, a late 2nd, and 7th.

Old
06-05-2004, 11:34 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
get ready for rebuilding year.
maybe we could trade for a european stick swinger

Old
06-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = Dud
Rolston's UFA rights are worth about a 7th rounder, at best. Andy Hilbert has been nothing but dissapointing and the 2nd is nothing special, even the lowly Chicago Blackhawks have one. I know I can't expect too much in return, but I am nearly positive the value in return will be greater than an average prospect, a late 2nd, and 7th.
I guess it all depends on how badly the Stars want to get rid of the contract. I have a feeling that Guerin will return even less than Jagr did the second time around.

06-05-2004, 11:36 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
rolston would get the bruins about a 3rd round pick after he signs a 3 million dollar deal with somebody.

the only way dallas gets good value for guerin is if they swallow half the money on the deal...otherwise, prepare to be disappointed by a hilbert-like return

Old
06-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
rolston would get the bruins about a 3rd round pick after he signs a 3 million dollar deal with somebody.
That would be a compensation pick. Irrelevant to this deal from a Stars POV..

Quote:
the only way dallas gets good value for guerin is if they swallow half the money on the deal...otherwise, prepare to be disappointed by a hilbert-like return
I agree..

Old
06-05-2004, 11:48 AM
AEKaki

Quote:

Only non-playoff teams get compensation picks.
Am I right?

Old
06-05-2004, 11:53 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. kØUkLØs
Only non-playoff teams get compensation picks.
Am I right?
No..

Every team that loses a player due to free agency gets a compensation pick, however, there are some demands set to the player, so you're not getting a compensation pick for everyone that leaves your team via free agency. I am not sure what the standards are though..

Old
06-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Dr Love

IIRC, you get a compensation pick if you don't sign any free agents to contracts over X amount of dollars, something like that. I'm no expert. It's why recently we've seen guys like Leetch and Messier get "dealt" to Edmonton and Nashville and Columbus and what not just before free agency begins. So under the proposed moves the Bruins make in this thread, they wouldn't get compensation (or at least, compensation worth anything) because they're signing players.

Old
06-05-2004, 12:07 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
That would be a compensation pick. Irrelevant to this deal from a Stars POV..

I agree..
maybe irrelevant to the stars, but if boston were to get a 3rd, why just dump him off? i think the point is moot anyway, b/c the b's aren't going after guerin. my guess is that we'll be letting murray, rolston, mcgillis and several others walk the plank, while attempting to keep knuble and add a solid 2 way defender w/foot speed.

Old
06-05-2004, 12:07 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
not going to happen. the cheapskate bruins will ditch potvin, ditch McGillis (who buffalo will sign ) and Delmore will be their no.1 defensman. :lol

Old
06-05-2004, 12:10 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresRule
not going to happen. the cheapskate bruins will ditch potvin, ditch McGillis (who buffalo will sign ) and Delmore will be their no.1 defensman. :lol
originality at its best. the bruins are pretty cheap, yeah...i mean, close to a 50 million dollar payroll really supports that argument

as for delmore, at least the b's didn't give up a draft pick to get him. he was basically given to us for free, and OC decided he was good insurance in case of injury. he won't be back...maybe he can hang out w/jillson over the summer and they can both learn how to play D

Old
06-06-2004, 11:54 AM
capman29

Quote:
originality at its best. the bruins are pretty cheap, yeah...i mean, close to a 50 million dollar payroll really supports that argument

as for delmore, at least the b's didn't give up a draft pick to get him. he was basically given to us for free, and OC decided he was good insurance in case of injury. he won't be back...maybe he can hang out w/jillson over the summer and they can both learn how to play D
And that fifty million spent on the wrong players got you what? Boston has major signing problems and it will be fun to see them eat their own as is the record . :lol :lol

Old
06-06-2004, 04:42 PM
Bruin_Ron

Old
06-06-2004, 06:16 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
Quote:

only twice in NHL history has a team walked away from a Arbitators ruling as to what a players worth.

same team twice. no prizes for guessing who. Boston Bruins. They wouldnt shell out for Cujo, who may have got the past the 1st round, if that's possible. They signed Potvin instead.

Old
06-07-2004, 03:34 PM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
only twice in NHL history has a team walked away from a Arbitators ruling as to what a players worth.
Yeah and walking away from Dimitri Khristich ended up being a huge mistake. The guy was awful after Boston, Jason Allison made him look good. So big deal they walked away from a player who they felt wasn't worth the money he was awarded, turns out they were right.

Old
06-07-2004, 09:34 PM
capman29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF
Yeah and walking away from Dimitri Khristich ended up being a huge mistake. The guy was awful after Boston, Jason Allison made him look good. So big deal they walked away from a player who they felt wasn't worth the money he was awarded, turns out they were right.
Every time a go bruin player wants a big contract he has to hold out then istraded. Say goodby to Thornton and the others that are in line for big contracts.Bruins penny wise and pound foolish and that is the main reason they have not won a cup in over 30 yrs.

Would not give Allison their leading point producer 5.5 million but gave that Lapointe a mucker 5 million. Great way to spend the money . Bruins management are so cheap that if they had been offered mario for nothing they would have wanted ittsburgh to pay his salary.The only thing that counts in boston is selling cold hot dogs and crummy hot beer :lol

Old
06-08-2004, 12:19 PM
nmbr_24

I could be wrong, but wasn't Allison asking for 8 million?

Old
06-08-2004, 01:07 PM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by capman29
And that fifty million spent on the wrong players got you what? Boston has major signing problems and it will be fun to see them eat their own as is the record . :lol :lol
Dude, as a Cap fan you should REALLY be careful when you talk about other teams spending a great deal on the wrong players.
I mean, this years version of the Caps made most of the past versions of the Rangers look like they spent wisely.

Old
06-10-2004, 07:07 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by capman29
Every time a go bruin player wants a big contract he has to hold out then istraded. Say goodby to Thornton and the others that are in line for big contracts.Bruins penny wise and pound foolish and that is the main reason they have not won a cup in over 30 yrs.

Would not give Allison their leading point producer 5.5 million but gave that Lapointe a mucker 5 million. Great way to spend the money . Bruins management are so cheap that if they had been offered mario for nothing they would have wanted ittsburgh to pay his salary.The only thing that counts in boston is selling cold hot dogs and crummy hot beer :lol
Excuse me funny man, if more teams modeled the way Boston management dealt with contracts, the NHL would not be in the current problem it is in.

Hmmm....do some more research on the subject before you start going into the tired old lazy rehtoric of "Bruins are cheap". Here's a couple of examples of recent departures.

Allison- what has he done since he left?

Guerin- would you pay 9 million for him? We ended up with Patrice
Bergeron thanks to letting him go.

Kristich-enough said

Carter-plenty of potential, but has fizzled of late. Never amounted to much more than an average scorer. We got Guerin for him, which then turned into Patrice Bergeron ( see above).

Mclaren- great physical dman, but always injured. You'd get your hopes up after seeing him play for a stretch of games, thinking to yourself, wow, this guy throws a mean body check...and what a mean streak to go along with it...what an asset to our blueline! Then out of nowhere, he'll be gone for two weeks with an injury....only to come back, play a few more games, then be injured again. That's the story of Mclaren's career. We got a good prospect back in the trade of Mclaren (Jillson) who didn't pan out as quickly as Bruins management wanted, and then we traded him to get one of the best center prospects out there in Brad Boyes.

Last edited by VeddarRants: 06-10-2004 at 07:10 AM.
Old
06-10-2004, 09:30 AM
blurbruin

Quote:

same team twice. no prizes for guessing who. Boston Bruins. They wouldnt shell out for Cujo, who may have got the past the 1st round, if that's possible. They signed Potvin instead.
So you think the Bruins should've acquired Cujo, who was injured a lot... and have to pay him for 2 years!!!! and let Raycroft just be a back up (for 2 years), as opposed to getting Potvin as insurance in case Raycroft didn't do well?

Glad you're not our GM.

I don't think goaltending was the reason why the bruins didn't get out of the 1st round.

Closed Thread