HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

A thread for every player: Jussi Jokinen

Old
06-24-2012, 10:36 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
A thread for every player: Jussi Jokinen

Jussi Jokinen

(rankings among team forwards)

GP: 79
TOI per game: 17:40 (3rd)
Goals: 12 (t-7th)
Assists: 34 (2nd)
PIM: 54 (2nd)
Hits: 41 (12th)
Blocked shots: 48 (4th)
Giveaways: 40 (4th)
Takeaways: 37 (4th)

Height: 5'11" (1.80m)
Weight: 190 lb (86kg)

Contract status: UFA in 2014
Current contract: 3yr, $9m ($3m/yr)
Acquired: Trade from Lightning in exchange for Wade Brookbank, Josef Melichar and 2000 4th round pick, 2/7/2009

The Jordan Staal trade makes things kind of interesting for Jokinen. Presumably J-Staal will be our second line center, which in theory will bump Jokinen back into a wing position. But whose wing? Either he goes with Eric, leaving Skinner with Jordan... or pairs with Jordan, leaving Eric and Jeffrey in their ineffective pairing. I assume Muller would prefer the former.

OR... we could slot Juice at 3C, remodeling that line as more of an offensive threat than it had been with Sutter. Jokinen is about as far from a shutdown center as it gets, so he had better have some well-chosen wingers if he's going to get a lot of defensive zone starts.

OR... Jokinen becomes an attractive piece to trade for a higher-caliber winger or true third-line center. One of our few forwards with trade value who isn't a core player and doesn't have an NTC (Tlusty being the only other).

Jussi might be one of the more intriguing players to watch this season. Kind of a make-or-break moment in his relationship with the organization.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:06 PM
AD Skinner

I kind of foresee him being traded, as well. Despite his below average year last season, he could be attractive to a team looking for a playmaker/secondary scorer and as you pointed out is one of our few forwards without a no-trade/movement clause. On the other hand though, he is probably the only forward on this team currently who has had success working with both Skinner and E. Staal. I could see him shuffling between a line of Tlusty-E. Staal- Jokinen/Ruutu/please god some other forward we may acquire and a Skinner-J. Staal-Jokinen/Ruutu line, depending on who is hot. I'd really rather not see him at center if it was up to me; he can win faceoffs but I don't think he brings much more to the table at the C position.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:10 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Jussi is on a STEAL of a contract. Good on faceoffs/shootouts and guaranteed 45-55 points. Have you guys seen some of the contracts grinders have been getting lately? I say we keep Jussi until his contract runs up.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:32 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I think we need to keep Jussi around as well. He's probably the most versatile forward on the team. Can play all 3 forward positions, the PP and PK, 3rd line or top 6. Only way I'd move him is in a package for a better, more consistent player

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:40 PM
AD Skinner

I'm not saying we SHOULD get rid of him, just that if a forward is going to get moved, I have the feeling he's one that teams would want (other than Skinner or a Staal).

Old
06-24-2012, 01:18 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
I'm not sold on Welsh at all. Actually, quite pessimistic about him. So, Juice could work welll as 3C and he can actually excel against weaker opposition.
Edit: I need a new avatar pic.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:52 PM
La Huracanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
I'm not sold on Welsh at all. Actually, quite pessimistic about him. So, Juice could work welll as 3C and he can actually excel against weaker opposition.
Edit: I need a new avatar pic.
That's not how 3C worked when we had Brandon Sutter. He played the toughest competition and took the vast majority of defensive zone faceoffs. He never shifted possession in a positive direction because he didn't have a chance to (it's more a case of him limiting the damage done by the other teams' top players).

Jordan Staal played a lighter version of the same role in Pittsburgh, and he shifted possession solidly in Pittsburgh's favor. That's pretty amazing two-way play.

I think we have a few options, and I wouldn't rely on Welsh (1 NHL game) or Jokinen (who is just fair defensively) being one of them.

We can divide defensive responsibilities among the top line (probably the two Staals and somebody else) and a no-offensive all-checking line with guys like Dwyer and LaRose on it (I believe Dwyer has some experience at center). Or we can give both Staal's the benefit of more offensive zone starts and let the checking line get absolutely murdered, never seeing the light of the offensive zone and putting up less than 20 points.

It's a choice between a balanced model and the Vancouver model: let Malhotra and his wingers get murdered so the Sedins can take up permanent residence in the offensive zone and put up gaudy numbers.

But then we lose what the Staals could do defensively, which would be pretty incredible.

It's going to be an interesting season for once.

La Huracanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 807
Jordan makes the second line our "shutdown" one, even if he's got Skinner and Ruutu on his wings. I say put him at 3C, and we're closer to the 06 "1A 1B 1C 4" recipe that got us the Cup.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:21 PM
totalkev

I think Jussi is kind of our "level indicator" type of guy. If he's on our first line, we suck. If he's on the second line, we're average. And if we manage to push him down to the third line, we're in OK shape. Yeah, he's versatile. Big whoop. Let's face it, he wasn't very good last season, with 12 goals and 118 shots in 79 games. He needs to double those totals if he wants to play with a Staal brother next year.

The bottom line is that -- although we're better today than we were last week -- we are still short in the "Top 6 winger" department. And as much as I love Ray Whitney and hope we sign him, I think we need to be cautious about penciling him in to the first line if we do get him. Dude is 40, and although the hands are clearly still there, the legs aren't always willing. I still think we need to find a way to add a Bobby Ryan type guy in the first half of his career, and not a guy in the short rows.

Yeah, we were that bad up front last season that adding Jordan Staal gets us only halfway home.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:04 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Just for the records. I didn't imply that 3rd line withnJuice as 3c center would be shutdown line. Jordan's line would. Juice would center a good 3rd line capable to score on more or less consistent basis.

And I agree with what Totalkev said. He summarized my thoughts nicely

Old
06-24-2012, 03:06 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Not only is Jussi versatile, he's actually probably our 3rd or 4th best forward. As much as people want to call out Jussi for a bad year last year, we have virtually no one to replace him with. It's not his fault we have to overly rely on him. He can be a very good top 6 guy again now that he has two legit centers to possibly play with. I wouldn't be surprised to see 25-30 goals again if he can stay healthy.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:09 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Huracanista View Post
That's not how 3C worked when we had Brandon Sutter.
Another interesting story to come out of the Staal/Sutter trade is that Muller now has the ability to make true tactical decisions regarding the third line.

Training camp and the opening week should tell us a lot about his idea of an ideal lineup.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Even in a bad year Jokinen was the second leading scorer on our team, not to mention center is not his natural position and he has said publicly that he doesn't like playing there. Put him back at wing with talent on his line and I think he has a great year.

06-24-2012, 03:13 PM
dmonk
doughberle

I agree . juice is better at the wing.
However, we have no solid 3rd line center and juice will be the best center we have on current roster after Staals.
That hole needs to be plugged up with someone.

And don't start on Welsh again. I'm aware of undrafted guy who was allowed to play one NHL game.
He's more likely to end the season with the Everblades than on canes roster.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:15 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Quote:
I agree . juice is better at the wing.
However, we have no solid 3rd line center and juice will be the best center we have on current roster after Staals.
That hole needs to be plugged up with someone.

And don't start on Welsh again. I'm aware of undrafted guy who was allowed to play one NHL game.
He's more likely to end the season with the Everblades than on canes roster.
I wouldn't be so down on Welsh, he didn't look out of place. A bit slow, but he had some nice opportunities.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:18 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeMPV View Post
I wouldn't be so down on Welsh, he didn't look out of place. A bit slow, but he had some nice opportunities.
In one NHL game? We had guys with much better pedigree - boychuk and dalpe that everyone was salivating about. And now welsh is next jesus Christ coming

Im not down on him. But some of you need to Get real.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:21 PM
AD Skinner

Nothing wrong with hoping for great things out of Welsh. Expecting great things out of him is different.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:22 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Quote:
In one NHL game? We had guys with much better pedigree - boychuk and dalpe that everyone was salivating about. And now welsh is next jesus Christ coming

Im not down on him. But some of you need to Get real.
Neither one of those players has the pedigree Welsh has. Welsh has put up similar/better stats in college than Dalpe, and Boychuk can't even really be compared to either of them IMO. Welsh has just as good of a chance at sticking in the NHL as Dalpe.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:33 PM
dmonk
doughberle

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Welsh and hope he succeeds.
All I'm saying is that we can't pencil a guy who hasnt proved anything to the 3rd Line spot on NHL team.

I'd rather have a solid proven player there before threads like 'ECHL player Matt Cullen' start again and this time it will be no joke.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:34 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Quote:
I'll keep my fingers crossed for Welsh and hope he succeeds.
All I'm saying is that we can't pencil a guy who hasnt proved anything to the 3rd Line spot on NHL team.

I'd rather have a solid proven player there before threads like 'ECHL player Matt Cullen' start again and this time it will be no joke.
But Matt Cullen DOES belong in the ECHL...

Old
06-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Tim Brent impressed me last year. Do not think he would be a disaster as 3C. No Sutter replacement sure, but he can eat minutes and not embarrass you.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:02 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 1832
Juice is a great 3rd liner, good 2nd line winger. Whether or not he fits on a first line anywhere depends on the other two players but he'd be a 3rd wheel there regardless. It's when he's being asked to anchor a 2nd line center spot or be the 2nd option on a top line that you have a problem. That said, I can easily see him bouncing back to being a 20+ goal, 55+ point guy next season. Good option as either a scoring line #3 center, or top 6 winger.

Last edited by DaveG: 06-24-2012 at 04:48 PM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Juice is a great 3rd liner, good 2nd line winger. Whether or not he fits on a first line anywhere depends on the other two players but he'd be a 3rd wheel there regardless. It's when he's being asked to anchor a 2nd line center spot or be the 2nd option on a top line that you have a problem. That said, I can easily see him bouncing back to being a 2+ goal, 55+ point guy next season. Good option as either a scoring line #3 center, or top 6 winger.
So...you expect him to bounce back to 2+ goals? Sounds reasonable...

Head Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:47 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
So...you expect him to bounce back to 2+ goals? Sounds reasonable...
LOL, meant 20+

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
LOL, meant 20+
I know, I'm just teasing you about it. It seems obvious that you've lowered expectations if you expect two or more goals...

That is...unless Jokinen is now the playmaking extraordinaire to collect 53-55 assists with only 0-2 goals.

Head Goose is offline   Reply With Quote