HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wilson names top 6 ATM... via Jonas Siegal.

Old
09-23-2010, 11:47 PM
Ratboy
PTSD-Leafdom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
No line combos are permanent, it's bound to change if it isn't working so don't get your panties in a knot.
This. If it doesn't work then they'll try something else.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Jackothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
uhhh, this flies against everything Wilson has said. I'm sorry, I don't believe that top line.

the top line will be Kulemin - Bozak - Kessel. It has to!!

they have been together since scrimmages!!!
I'm also very much in favor of keeping that line together... Compliment each other beautifully, shouldn't screw around with it

Jackothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Collegedude84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by piere McGuire View Post
"Wilson says top two lines right now are Versteeg w/ Bozak and Kessel and Kulemin w/ Grabovski and MacArthur."

http://twitter.com/jonas640
This just proves what a MORON Wilson is. There was nothing wrong with the 1st line at all. Kulemin is the defensive concsious/physical player on the line who creates space for the other 2. Bozak is the playmaker for Kessel's snipes. Kessel is the pure speedy sniper on the line. Besides didnt Wilson say somewhere he's starting off the season with the Kulemin-Bozak-Kessel line?

Collegedude84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ansah

my vote for KBK line

ansah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DopeyFish

vCash: 737
Two RWs on top line, two LWs on 2nd line

DopeyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Delayed Offside

RW mentioned about wanting to work with pairs. Kessel and Bozak play really well and Kulemin and Grabo have chemistry as well.

No need to freak out, nothing is in stone.

Delayed Offside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Skyver

Is Rum Wilson brain dead? Ugh, keep that DAMN line together! He said he was trying to keep them together, they showed they can play together and then bam! He splits them. I just don't understand.

Skyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:53 PM
PhilTheThrillKessel

Not sure if my comp is messed up but when I click on the link, his twitter mentions nothing about Wilson saying that. Prob just my comp screwing up. The last thing on his twitter that I can see is the list of players sent down to the Marlies today

PhilTheThrillKessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:55 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delayed Offside View Post
RW mentioned about wanting to work with pairs. Kessel and Bozak play really well and Kulemin and Grabo have chemistry as well.

No need to freak out, nothing is in stone.
You mean if they start that way they don't have to remain that way??

ACC1224 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Andrew Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegedude84 View Post
This just proves what a MORON Wilson is. There was nothing wrong with the 1st line at all. Kulemin is the defensive concsious/physical player on the line who creates space for the other 2. Bozak is the playmaker for Kessel's snipes. Kessel is the pure speedy sniper on the line. Besides didnt Wilson say somewhere he's starting off the season with the Kulemin-Bozak-Kessel line?
There isn't anything wrong with the first line. It is the second line that needs tweaking and uniting Kulemin and Grabovski is a solid move as the two have a good rapport. So essentially we have two solid pairs in Grabo & Kulemin and Bozak & Kessel, then we can switch up and swap the third guy on the lines between Versteeg, MacArthur, Caputi, etc.

Andrew Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:57 PM
Collegedude84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mack View Post
There isn't anything wrong with the first line. It is the second line that needs tweaking and uniting Kulemin and Grabovski is a solid move as the two have a good rapport. So essentially we have two solid pairs in Grabo & Kulemin and Bozak & Kessel, then we can switch up and swap the third guy on the lines between Versteeg, MacArthur, Caputi, etc.
The second line can easily be Caputi/Grabo/Versteeg. Very very similar to the 1st; Caputi is the physical player who uses his size to create time/space for the others. Grabo is the speedy playmaker. Versteeg is the sniper. Nothing wrong with trying that line out.

Collegedude84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:59 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mack View Post
Clearly Wilson loves the chemistry between Bozak and Kessel, and Grabovski and Kulemin have been a strong pair together. Versteeg looks like he can play with anyone but I'd be hesitant to pair him with Grabo just because they both love to hold onto the puck.

I think we will have a hard time finding someone to play with Versteeg from what I could see. I think he is a lot like Grabovski in that regard. Maybe a workhorse like Caputi or Hanson with Versteeg would be better.
I don't see Versteeg as a great linemate for top 6 players.

Don't see it in his game.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:00 AM
NewFang

You guys are all missing the big news in this.

Kadri is all but gone to the AHL.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:00 AM
NaiveLeafsFan

I think alot of you are forgetting the whole purpose of the pre-season is to do these types of experiments so that Ronnie doesn't have to do them in the regular season.

Who knows, maybe the lines will mesh really well and we'll have a respectable top 6. On the otherhand, if it doesn't work then we can go back to the drawing board. Still 6 more games left!

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:03 AM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
You guys are all missing the big news in this.

Kadri is all but gone to the AHL.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:04 AM
wandering goat

No problem starting those lines in preseason and see if they gel. I don't think Wilson is saying those are the regular season lines. Let them play together, see what happens. As Dopey mentioned though, it seems strange having both lines have off-position players, not to mention sticking both focal points of your offense (Kessel and Versteeg) on the same line when the line is already producing well with Kulemin on it. But again, no harm in trying things out in the preseason!

wandering goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:05 AM
zapy

Kessel, Bozak, Versteeg, Kulemin, Grabovski, McArthur

If thats our top 6 there is no way we're making the playoffs, we are definitely one of the worst teams when you look at the top 6 guys.

And I think Kulemin is better than Versteeg overall, why break up that great 1st line we had last year. Kulemin is much bigger/stronger and is very skilled as well. Versteeg was a third line player afterall, I don't care what team he was on, he was still a third line player for a reason.

Then again there's nothing we can realistically do.

zapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Thomas Malthus
The Dismal Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegedude84 View Post
Do you ever post anything that's positive?

Versteeg is a defensively conscious player who controls the puck well, why wouldn't you want to try him on the top line? Worst thing that happens is that you put Kulemin back on the top unit.

Multiple posters have mentioned Kulemin and Grabovski have chemistry together.While trying Versteeg on the top line why not learn to exactly what extent these two compliment each other? MacArthur is shifty and has proven himself capable of contributing offensively in the NHL.

Again, multiple posters have mentioned the logical idea that these lines are not permanent and can be altered as the preseason progresses.

There's a thread for posters like you a little bit further down the page titled "Post Game Talk: The Sky Is Officially Falling."

Thomas Malthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:09 AM
wc17

Where in his twitter account does it say this?

Ive heard Wilson say at least a couple times that Kulemin, Bozak and Kessel are gonna start off playing with each other cause they played well at the end of last year...

wc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:10 AM
Lebanese Leaf

I would agree that atm Kadri deserves to be sent down to start with the Marlies. But you all need to relax and not rush to conclusions. He looked very good in that 3rd period once he was taken off the line with versteeg and armstrong, and he has only played 2 games thus far. Remember there's 6 games to go, he will likely play in at least 4 of them, then we can make our evaluations.

Because I know that if Kadri scores 8 points in those 4 games, this board will erupt with "should Kadri center Kessel" threads. People need to relax on both ends of the spectrum and see how the rest of the preseason plays out before rushing to conclusions.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:11 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightta View Post
Do you ever post anything that's positive?

Versteeg is a defensively conscious player who controls the puck well, why wouldn't you want to try him on the top line? Worst thing that happens is that you put Kulemin back on the top unit.

Multiple posters have mentioned Kulemin and Grabovski have chemistry together.While trying Versteeg on the top line why not learn to exactly what extent these two compliment each other? MacArthur is shifty and has proven himself capable of contributing offensively in the NHL.

Again, multiple posters have mentioned the logical idea that these lines are not permanent and can be altered as the preseason progresses.

There's a thread for posters like you a little bit further down the page titled "Post Game Talk: The Sky Is Officially Falling."
Kulemin has chemistry with everyone, it really isn't chemistry it is hard work and a willingness to do the heavy lifting.

Sure Kulemin made Grabovski's life easier, but it isn't about making Grabovski look good.

Too bad Kadri isn't passing muster, otherwise he could center Armstrong and MacArthur, and let Grabovski and Versteeg take turns dangling with Caputi crashing the net.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Solaris

Lol lots of negative reaction I see. IMO Versteeg on the top line won't last, Kulemin's physical grinding presence compliments Kessel and Bozak perfectly, moreso than it would with Grabovski anyways. Kulemin's chemistry with Grabo everyone seems to be talking about is nowhere near as good as it was with the others. I think this is just a case of Wilson experimenting and giving the shiny new acquisition a chance to really show what he can do.

Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:13 AM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Kadri Fan View Post
Because I know that if Kadri scores 8 points in those 4 games, this board will erupt with "should Kadri center Kessel" threads
Kinda similar to how the Oiler board is erupting?

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:13 AM
hackm

A combination I never see that I think would be nice, based on play so far:

Kulemin-Bozak-Kessel
Caputi-Grabovski-Versteeg
MacArthur-Hanson-Armstrong
Brown/Sjo-Mitchell-Orr

hackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:15 AM
Dayjobdave

I love it. 3 right handed shots on the first line, 3 left handed shots on the second line.

It is fascinating that people think they can judge this better than the coaching staff who spend all day putting these players through their paces, plus do these things for a living.

Wilson has said he wants to keep the two pairs together : Kessel and Bozak and Kulemin and Grabovski.

I liked Caputi's chemistry with Grabo too, but I'll defer to the coach on this one.

Do we think this means Kadri goes to the A, or just that he gets 3rd line minutes.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote