HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The ''What to do in Montreal'' Thread version 4.0

Old
09-27-2011, 05:27 PM
neofury*

vCash: 500
You need to buy the jersey and then head to the airport the day of the game and catch them there. My friend works at the airport and people do it all the time. You're in TO and the first game is in TO.

EDIT: Scratch that! Ottawa! You can just come here and do it!

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 05:27 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafseh View Post
Hmmm well that's too bad. I think I'll just email them to see what they have to say.

And HA... Actually, I live in Ottawa.
Well Montreal is just next door then, but I'm not sure just how much you care about your brother in law's gift

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 05:36 PM
leafseh

You're both right, it's not that far of a drive at all. So airport eh? That sounds kinda reasonable. I'd have to be pretty bang on with my dates and times though so as to not waste a trip.... hate to make a 2hr drive and then miss them lol.

leafseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Bill McNeal

Go to their Brossard training facility and wait in the parking lot. I've seen quite a few autograph hounds there in the past, but not so many that the players would just sign a couple of things and leave.

Considering you live in Ottawa, best thing to do would be to find a Saturday or Sunday that they'll be there (media can usually be helpful in determining that) and then come on over.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 05:44 PM
leafseh

I got this off the website: *Note that if you are sending items to be autographed by players, you must include a self-addressed stamped envelope. The team cannot be held responsible for the loss of any items sent in the mail. It is therefore recommended that you send a player card or photo, rather than items of significant value (i.e. hats, jerseys, flags, etc. will not be accepted due to their value). As well, please do note send an item for multiple players in a single envelope. Due to the high volume of autograph requests, the team cannot guarantee when your item will be returned.

bummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Go to their Brossard training facility and wait in the parking lot. I've seen quite a few autograph hounds there in the past, but not so many that the players would just sign a couple of things and leave.

Considering you live in Ottawa, best thing to do would be to find a Saturday or Sunday that they'll be there (media can usually be helpful in determining that) and then come on over.
Awesome, thanks for the info!

Last edited by Habsfan18: 09-27-2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: merged
leafseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 05:54 PM
neofury*

Brossard training facility = home run idea. Never even thought of it lol. Just thought of the other thing cause of my friend.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Celtic Cross

Or you could do like me get them while they're ahlers lol

Celtic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:39 PM
frederixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonhabfan10 View Post
hey guys, I'm coming to montreal for a weekend in november for a game, just wondering how far in advance i should make reservations for le garde manger, I watch chuck hughes show way too much to not check it out, but i know its hard to get into, any information would be much appreciated !
If you know the date already, what are you waiting for? Not like you have to pay in advance anyway.

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Eagle Eye Cherry
guitar player

Hey how come there's no hot dog stands in Montreal but in Toronto and other Canadian cities, they're all over the place. What gives?

Eagle Eye Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy T View Post
Hey how come there's no hot dog stands in Montreal but in Toronto and other Canadian cities, they're all over the place. What gives?
Montreal has very tough restaurant laws, you are not allow to sell food without a sink & bathroom. The trick is there are tiny hot-dog spots every block on Ste-Catherine street, were very clean people.

Think about it, that guy is selling dogs all afternoon in hot sun & not washing his hands, our City is great about the little things,

Our food is the best in North America, we tale it serious!

Last edited by Player 61: 10-03-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 08:40 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Montreal has very tough restaurant laws, you are not allow to sell food without a sink & bathroom. The trick is there are tiny hot-dog spots every block on Ste-Catherine street, were very clean people.

Think about it, that guy is selling dogs all afternoon in hot sun & not washing his hands, our City is great about the little things,

Our food is the best in North America, we tale it serious!
there is a movement to have those laws changed but of course the city doesn't want to hear it...

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
there is a movement to have those laws changed but of course the city doesn't want to hear it...
I think it's fine the way it is, no shortage of restaurants, La Belle Province is all over all blocks anyway.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:54 AM
Eagle Eye Cherry
guitar player

one of the disapointings about montreal - no hot dog stands and plus unfriendly yuppy ppl all over the place.

Eagle Eye Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:01 AM
useref15

So, I just booked our hotel for the weekend of the 19th when the Rangers are in town. I did it through Hotwire and got the Gouverneur Place Dupuis. Have any of you heard of the hotel? I read the reviews online, and seems like it's in a bad part of town. All the reviews suggest that it isn't a 3.5 star like Hotwire has it up for. It's on Saint-Hubert Street. Sooo, anyone have some insight for me?

useref15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:47 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 755
Quote:
So, I just booked our hotel for the weekend of the 19th when the Rangers are in town. I did it through Hotwire and got the Gouverneur Place Dupuis. Have any of you heard of the hotel? I read the reviews online, and seems like it's in a bad part of town. All the reviews suggest that it isn't a 3.5 star like Hotwire has it up for. It's on Saint-Hubert Street. Sooo, anyone have some insight for me?
Live in Montreal, never been in the Hotel. If you check on Google Maps, you can actually go through the streets by pressing the stickman on the zooming bar.

First off, the park in front of you is home to countless numbers of homeless people/junkies. I'm about 95% sure it is this park. They don't hurt or attack nobody, but it's kind of a sad view you know. Hardly ever walked there, but if they're in the park, some are on the corners of the street or around the spot.

Secondly, your hotel is close to two of the main after-hours in Montreal. Circus and Stereo. If you like House and Trance Music, that's a plus. If you don't really care and don't wanna party all night until morning, I guess the streets could be a little bit more active, but nothing really bad in my opinion.

Third, you've got easy access to the subway system in Montreal. You walk up Berri Street to Berri-Uqam Station, and you can actually hit mostly all of the lines, except the Blue one (doesn't matter if you're here for a hockey game). You can say Berri-Uqam is the main station for the Montreal transit system. Plenty of Night Buses too, if you want to get back home late at night.

Fourth, there's plenty of restaurants and stores all around you. To your East (going up Ste-Catherine), you would reach the 'Gay Neighborhood'. Its center is I believe the Beaudry Metro Station or somewhere close to it, but your hotel is on the outskirts of it. To your Southwest (going down Ste-Catherine), you reach St-Laurent street and even further, Montreal Downtown. St-Laurent Street (starting off on Sherbrooke Street and going North), that's where some of the nightlife occurs, besides Downtown Montreal. I like it, it's not really fancy or anything (you can find fancy spots to eat or dance), but mostly a young adult spot. Same thing goes with Saint-Denis Street, You're not that far as well from the 'Chinatown', located close to (North of) Place d'Armes Metro Station. Maybe a spot to visit and maybe eat there. As well there's the old port South of this metro station, well worth visiting.

Overall, your hotel is in a 'weird' spot in Montreal. If you want a look at the reality of Downtown Montreal Outskirts, it's a great spot. If you want something 'a la wealthy businessman', then change spots. Don't know anything about the hotel or the staff, but that's about what I know about the location of your hotel. You could spend most of the day in the old port or pretty much where you want, since you're close to the Berri-Uqam Metro station.

That's about it... Hope it helps you out and enjoy. You shouldn't have any problems with the people here.

Last edited by PhysicX: 10-04-2011 at 09:52 AM.
PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by useref15 View Post
It's not a great area at all. I wouldn't be worried safety wise, though. You're right across the street from the bus station, which is usually not the best part of town in any city.

There's a lot of homelessness and drug dealing in that area and specifically on that street.

However, you don't need to hang out there, and taking a taxi back to your hotel if you're ever out late will basically shield you from any of it. Most anglophone tourists stay in the western part of downtown, while you'll be in the east. It's not far, but it's a very different part of Montreal.

BTW, I should mention that there is an office tower right next to your hotel. And a shopping mall. So especially during the day, it won't seem like you're in a ghetto or anything. If you've got a good deal on the place, and you don't mind seeing the above mentioned activities at night, then you're fine.

Last edited by Mike8: 10-04-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:23 PM
useref15

Great reply guys...thanks. And yeah, I read the reviews on Tripadvisors about all the homeless people near the park and everything. As long as they don't bother us, thats fine....not scared of that. I just wanted to be in the middle of all of the action. I'm going with my friend and both of us are 20 and just looking to have a good time and do a bunch of the nightlife stuff along with the game.

Last time I was in MTL 2 years ago, we stayed at the Holiday Inn on Viger in Chinatown. It was a great location. I used Hotwire and did a 3.5 star and got this hotel this time so it's whatever.

useref15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Pascal

Not really Montreal related but does anyone know which "viger" is best for picking up apples? Looking ideally for a place that doesn't just grow apples but maybe makes ciders/wines/other fruits

thanks

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:05 AM
euphrates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Not really Montreal related but does anyone know which "viger" is best for picking up apples? Looking ideally for a place that doesn't just grow apples but maybe makes ciders/wines/other fruits

thanks
The best places are around Rougemont and Mont St Hilaire

here is one for you

http://www.auxvergerspetit.com/

euphrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Pascal

thanks!

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:06 PM
mbz

Going to montreal in a couple weeks, was wondering wich hotel would be the best stay? Im currently looking at the sheraton, is that one any good?

mbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Classified

Meant to put this in the ticket thread... sorry...

hopefully make it to Montreal on Thursday for the game! Friggen Air Canada

Last edited by Classified: 10-10-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Classified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:27 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 140
i stayed at the Delta Montreal when i came for the Draft
Great hotel to stay in

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Coming to town with my brother next week for the Sabres game just for the hell of it.

We're staying at the Best Western a few blocks from the Bell Centre.

Hows the nightlife in Montreal during the week? We'll probably stop in Hurley's on Crescent as that's kind of a family tradition (I have a lot of family who are from Montreal) but are there any places that won't be dead/as dead during the week? Obviously most places will be much more fun on weekends, but that didn't work out for scheduling reasons so we're going to make the best of it.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:07 PM
letsgored
Rookie User

Dining/entertainment in Montreal can be really cheap. With the abundance of group discount sites like Groupon (and etc.), some really great deals can be had in the downtown core.

People will check these websites for their own city, but forget how valuable they can be to cities you're visiting as well. I make regular trips to Montreal, and always check them for "deals" in the weeks leading up to my trip. Don't bother subscribing to all of them and getting spammed, just take the time every now and then to check out aggregators, which compile all the daily deal sites together in one place for you. These are good for monitoring the deal sites for Montreal (they generally show the same deals -- it's just a matter of which interface you prefer to use!):

http://www.redflagdeals.com/groupdeals/Montreal

http://groupbuyunited.com/node/4/Montreal

letsgored is offline   Reply With Quote