HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The ''What to do in Montreal'' Thread version 4.0

Old
10-17-2011, 11:15 AM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Boustan:

- Chicken Wrap (shish taouk) 5$
- Combo with potatoes (take garlic sauce) and drink = 8$~
I am down with this place. I rock the veggie plate between classes.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 04:24 AM
CrazyShea

I'm visiting Montreal next week for a week by myself. Do I need to know much french or is there any sayings I should know to make my trip easier? Thanks

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:30 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyShea View Post
I'm visiting Montreal next week for a week by myself. Do I need to know much french or is there any sayings I should know to make my trip easier? Thanks
You don't absolutely need it depending where you are gonna stay (downtow) but here are a few words that are useful:

Bonjour=Hi
Merci=Thank You

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 04:17 AM
CrazyShea

Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
You don't absolutely need it depending where you are gonna stay (downtow) but here are a few words that are useful:

Bonjour=Hi
Merci=Thank You
Good I'm staying at the delta. I know the basic highschool french, forget how to string sentences together now but I do remember the odd word and counting and so on. Just don't wanna struggle with ordering food or beer haha. Where do people drink before/after games? Thanks

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:57 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyShea View Post
You do not need it. I have lived here for two months now and have never been in a situation where I needed to speak French.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:42 PM
The Camera Eye

I'll be in Montreal tomorrow by myself, was wondering what the best sports bar would be on a Sunday night? Remember that I would probably sit at the bar and I'll be watching baseball. Suggestions for a somewhat busy bar with cheap beer?

The Camera Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:25 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

-Champs Bar and Restaurant: Champs has a reputation that has been built by consistently showing all the best sporting events from across the globe. Whatever you're itching to see, from the Formula 1 Circuit to European rugby leagues to soccer to baseball to hockey, you can be sure that Champs will be televising it no matter what the time of day. Not many other Montreal sports bars can claim as much and that's why many Montreal sports fans have made Champs their number one destination. 3956 St Laurent. For a big event call to reserve a table (514) 987-6444.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:18 PM
letsgored
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
You do not need it. I have lived here for two months now and have never been in a situation where I needed to speak French.
+1. Well, I don't live in MTL, but I do visit frequently. In all likelihood, anyone you encounter in the downtown area is completely bilingual.

letsgored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Rad17

Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
-Champs Bar and Restaurant: Champs has a reputation that has been built by consistently showing all the best sporting events from across the globe. Whatever you're itching to see, from the Formula 1 Circuit to European rugby leagues to soccer to baseball to hockey, you can be sure that Champs will be televising it no matter what the time of day. Not many other Montreal sports bars can claim as much and that's why many Montreal sports fans have made Champs their number one destination. 3956 St Laurent. For a big event call to reserve a table (514) 987-6444.
Do you know if they show the NFL on Sundays? I would think they do, i've just never been to Montreal during football season. I'll be up there this weekend for the Bruins and staying in town till Monday.

Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Stats01

Also I have visited Montreal a few times because my now ex gf was from there, and one piece of advice: If you don't need to speak french, don't. Some people find it offensive and rude if you try to speak french when you don't have a clue how to, I know you may just trying to be nice but some people don't like it. They rather you speak english if you're english. Now if you know how to speak french then by all means go for it, but don't speak it if you sound like a complete idiot. But as was said, Montreal is bilingual so you should have no problem getting around or communicating

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 05:13 PM
waxring

Anyone know where I can purchase baseball undershirts (raglans) in Montreal?

waxring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:53 PM
schumway2

Anyway know where I can find a predator costume? (Not Nashville)

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Bob Kudelski

So I'm going to the Habs/Pens game on Saturday Nov. 26, but I also ended up with tickets to Hey Rosetta! at the Corona Theatre, for the same night. I'm wondering if I can go to both..

The game starts at 7:00 so I guess it should be done at about 9:45? The concert starts at 8:00, but there are two opening bands. If Hey Rosetta! plays at 10:00pm, can I make it to the Corona Theatre in time? I think it's a 5-10 minute drive from the Bell Centre. Is it easy to grab a cab after a game on a Saturday night or is traffic all backed up?

Thanks..

Bob Kudelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Tobias

Send a message via Skype™ to Tobias
This question has probably been asked before, but i hope it's okay. Me and a friend will be coming all the way from Denmark later this month to watch the game against Pittsburgh. Where's the best place to get hold of jerseys? I think a replica will do, but would like to have the option of sewed numbers and letters.

Thanks

Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
This question has probably been asked before, but i hope it's okay. Me and a friend will be coming all the way from Denmark later this month to watch the game against Pittsburgh. Where's the best place to get hold of jerseys? I think a replica will do, but would like to have the option of sewed numbers and letters.

Thanks
Bell Centre store is probably the best bet for Canadiens players. If you want sweaters from other teams, there is a store at Centre Eaton on Ste Catherines called Edition Limitee. Capsule Sportive at one of the Ste Catherines complexes also has jerseys of other teams, but I'm not sure what the status of that store is (last time I went, it was open, but I have seen it closed on a random weekday as well).

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kudelski View Post
So I'm going to the Habs/Pens game on Saturday Nov. 26, but I also ended up with tickets to Hey Rosetta! at the Corona Theatre, for the same night. I'm wondering if I can go to both..

The game starts at 7:00 so I guess it should be done at about 9:45? The concert starts at 8:00, but there are two opening bands. If Hey Rosetta! plays at 10:00pm, can I make it to the Corona Theatre in time? I think it's a 5-10 minute drive from the Bell Centre. Is it easy to grab a cab after a game on a Saturday night or is traffic all backed up?

Thanks..
It's definitely do-able, but it will be very tight. Best case scenario is the game ends by 945, you catch a cab from the south exit of the Bell Centre, and Hey Rosetta! comes on at 1030.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 06:47 PM
Delat

I looked at all the restaurants listed but I couldn't find wich one had TVs in the more expensive ones. I'm looking for a restaurant that's like le Resto le Local but that has TVs for the game I don't care if it's on a bar side as long as I can reserve for around 8-9 person. Anyone knows one?

Delat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 02:29 PM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Okay so here's the deal.

-I am finally going to Montreal! I've been to Quebec City twice, but have yet to make the trip to Montreal. I'm going from February 4th to the 8th and of course going to see us play the Jets Sunday afternoon AND the Pens on Tuesday night. Super excited for this.

-I'm staying at Hotel Queen Elizabeth (the Fairmont one. My dad has a very good friend who works for Fairmont, so it's a cheap rate!). Is it a nice hotel? I assume as much since it is Fairmont, but I'd rather hear it, I guess. I've been told it's very close to the Bell Centre which is a huge positive, especially as my parents speak no French, and while I know it's not a necessity in Montreal, them trying to navigate around the city before a game would be hell.

-I'm turning 18 in December, so I'll need some bar/club suggestions. I'm going with my parents and my brother who is 20, so I'll likely end up hitting the clubs one night with my brother. What are good clubs for people our age?

-Since we're there for 4 days I'm going to try and get as much historical stuff done too. I hope to see as much history of Montreal and Quebec as I can. As something of a Quebecophile (if that makes sense) I can't wait just to be in Quebec again

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Le Casque de Mats

I've never been at Queen Elizabeth (well I don't sleep in hotels in Mtl since I live there obviously), but like you said it's Fairmount, so as far as I know it is quite good. And yes, it's very close to the Bell Center, Ste-Catherine street and everything downtown.

As for clubs and bars, it depends what you're into.. On my part, seems I'm quite a "Plateau" guy for what it means, and avoid downtown clubs/pop/dance music stuff. But if you like irish pubs and all you'll find them on Crescent, Bishop and all. If you like microbreweries, there's Dieu du Ciel on Laurier, Benelux on Sherbrooke, Le Cheval blanc on Ontario that I like. About clubs I mostly go at places like la Rockette, Panda bar on St-Denis and few other places. Surely there's people your age, though maybe somewhat older, depends. If you want to remain downtown I guess some other people could get you some information.

You could try Musée Pointe-à-Callières since you like history.

Le Casque de Mats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 07:03 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Im going mid January..4 nights...Besides the reg bar scene,are there any places that have Reggae Bands or nights? Im thinking such an International City might have a Reggae scene?

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 08:57 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Im going mid January..4 nights...Besides the reg bar scene,are there any places that have Reggae Bands or nights? Im thinking such an International City might have a Reggae scene?
Oh that's a great question. Let me do some research on that one

Old
11-21-2011, 07:30 AM
BeerBaron

Send a message via MSN to BeerBaron
We are heading into Montreal on Wednesday from Ottawa for a concert at the Metropolis. Is there any parking around this venue?

BeerBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Bob Kudelski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
It's definitely do-able, but it will be very tight. Best case scenario is the game ends by 945, you catch a cab from the south exit of the Bell Centre, and Hey Rosetta! comes on at 1030.
Thanks for the reply. I hope it works out.

Bob Kudelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 06:42 AM
CuteHockeyBunny

Any of the two Canadiens refrigerated rinks open? (Verdun/Lasalle)

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

vCash: 50
Anyone knows a great restaurant to watch a game, which is great for a family, and where the prices are great ? We're going to Montreal during the Christmas break, and I just don't want to go to La Cage aux Sports or Boston Pizza like we usually do. Keep in mind that my brother and I are underaged and that we'll be with our mom and dad. Not something too trashy too.
PS : I don't eat steak or any other "red" meats, if this helps.

Zaide is offline   Reply With Quote