HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The ''What to do in Montreal'' Thread version 4.0

Old
04-06-2012, 05:23 AM
Picaroon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
Metro would be the best way to go. it would be a really long (but fun walk)
according to google it would be 51 min. Go down St-Laurent, then head to the latin Quarter, through Ste-Catherine and the underground and then head to the Bell Centre.

If I had the time I would do it
Thanks a lot!

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picaroon View Post
Thanks a lot!
Because your in Mile-end be sure to visit Schwartz, the best smoke meat restaurant in the world and fairmount bagel or st-viateur bagel for the best bagels in the world. All in walking distance from Mile-end although depending on where you are it could be a longer walk. When I lived there I didn't mind doing it especially in the smaller streets.

http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/index2.html

http://www.fairmountbagel.com/

http://www.stviateurbagel.com/main/

Alexdaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 03:43 AM
thethrillisgone

This thread is awesome. I can't wait until I finally move to Montréal.

thethrillisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:53 AM
The Imp

Next Saturday, I'll be going to Montreal for a week, for the first time.

The GF shows up Wednesday, so I have a few days to take in the Bell Center, and I've got my heart set on the Biosphere.

Anything else I should make a point to see? I'll be staying at Hotel Stay Centre Ville for the first bit.

Some pointers on shopping, focused on road bikes and computers would be nice.

I've read the first post in the thread.

Last edited by The Imp: 04-07-2012 at 10:06 AM.
The Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
Next Saturday, I'll be going to Montreal for a week, for the first time.

The GF shows up Wednesday, so I have a few days to take in the Bell Center, and I've got my heart set on the Biosphere.

Anything else I should make a point to see? I'll be staying at Hotel Stay Centre Ville for the first bit.

Some pointers on shopping, focused on road bikes and computers would be nice.

I've read the first post in the thread.
Velo Montreal offers rental on bikes and used to do tours but don't anymore they still have maps of their tour and offer rental.

http://www.velomontreal.com/toursEng.php

Montreal specialized computer stores have always been lacking in Montreal. Me and my friends always prefer buying online but there's still hundreds of them around the city. But all the prices are high compared to online shops, and whenever you ask for something specific they'll tell you that they have to get it online first.

http://www.microinformatique.ca/default_e.asp

here's a good one.

Just google the addresses from your hotel location and you're on your way.

Edit: If you're into science and biology the biodome is a must see for any visitors in montreal

http://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/bio....php?langue=en

Last edited by Alexdaman: 04-07-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old
04-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hey guys, I know this sounds like a weird question, but I'm hoping someone here can help me:

I'm looking for a butcher that sells ground chicken and/or ground lamb at a good price. At my local groceries, they charge out of the wazoo for chicken, and lamb is a rarity. (I live in Saint-Michel).

I just bought a new grill and would like to make some chicken and lamb burgers from scratch, and could use some help finding a good butcher. If anyone has any tips, around the Montreal area (I don't feel like going South-Shore or West-Island), it'll be great!

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:43 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Hey guys, I know this sounds like a weird question, but I'm hoping someone here can help me:

I'm looking for a butcher that sells ground chicken and/or ground lamb at a good price. At my local groceries, they charge out of the wazoo for chicken, and lamb is a rarity. (I live in Saint-Michel).

I just bought a new grill and would like to make some chicken and lamb burgers from scratch, and could use some help finding a good butcher. If anyone has any tips, around the Montreal area (I don't feel like going South-Shore or West-Island), it'll be great!
I know this place on Mont-Royal

http://www.lmdr.net/menu.html

You can do a virtual visit of the place on the website. Doesn't seem to have an English version though.

Old
04-09-2012, 05:46 AM
Picaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Because your in Mile-end be sure to visit Schwartz, the best smoke meat restaurant in the world and fairmount bagel or st-viateur bagel for the best bagels in the world. All in walking distance from Mile-end although depending on where you are it could be a longer walk. When I lived there I didn't mind doing it especially in the smaller streets.

http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/index2.html

http://www.fairmountbagel.com/

http://www.stviateurbagel.com/main/
Made it to St. Viateur. Amazing. Literally melt in you mouth bagels. Brought a few bags home to NB.

Didn't make it to Schwartz although I really wish I had. It's on the list for next time. So much to see and do in a weekend. Awesome city.

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 08:01 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
I know this place on Mont-Royal

http://www.lmdr.net/menu.html

You can do a virtual visit of the place on the website. Doesn't seem to have an English version though.
That was going to be my suggestion. If you go to Jean Talon Market or Atwater market they have a lot of choices.

One of my favourites is also Adonis or Akhavan in NDG

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:55 AM
The Imp

Thanks Alex,

Leaving for Montreal in 24 hours!

One last question: Name a really nice date-type restaurant.

Pricing is not an issue.

Preferably French cuisine.

Edit: Modavie is recommended on page 1. Not really sure if that's what I'm looking for though.

Last edited by The Imp: 04-13-2012 at 04:03 AM.
The Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:11 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Thanks Alex,

Pricing is not an issue.

Edit: Modavie is recommended on page 1. Not really sure if that's what I'm looking for though.
Depends on your style and the type of date, I suppose.

I like XO Le Restaurant -- it's in Hotel St. James in Old Montreal. I've generally had good meals there.

A personal favourite is Club Chasse et Peche, also in Old Montreal. I find it consistently very good, and it's a comfortable place--almost feels like a cave!

Toque! is consistently ranked as a top restaurant in the city. Myself, I've never been entirely sold. It's innovative, for sure, and if you or your date is a foodie, it's worth giving a try (and I'm sure it'd be enjoyable), but I'm often left feeling some ingredient was missing in some of the dishes. Still, it's more generally accepted as a top restaurant than the others I've posted.

Cafe via Dante is much different than all of the above (all of which are higher-end, Old Montreal, french-styled restaurants) ... this is more of a casual Italian fare that's also a personal favourite. It's also far from downtown--up in Little Italy, by Jean Talon market. But it's got the best gnocchi I've ever had, and I generally find them to be the best Italian in the city. (not that it necessarily means much: other Italian places, namely Bice, da Emma, and and Le Latini tend to be overpriced and often merely 'good').

Oh, and if you're in the mood for something different: try Jun I. Japanese-french fusion, with the best sushi in the city (again, doesn't say much as Montreal's not a sushi city--but it's quite good even by non-Montreal standards). Has a regular menu as well. This is in the plateau on Laurier.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 07:02 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Thanks Alex,

Pricing is not an issue.

L'Academie on Crescent. (http://www.lacademie.ca/)

Edit: It's a bring your own wine however...

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Mike8

I'd warn against any restaurant on Crescent ... and L'Academie is not a nice restaurant in a city of many, many good places. (IMO)

Old
04-15-2012, 01:00 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

What hotel/motel would you guys say has the cheapest room in downtown Montreal to stay at for about 4 nights. Right now I've booked a place for ~$45 a night. It's a smaller hotel but doesn't look too shabby...room isn't too small, private bathroom, free wifi, free breakfast (will probably be crappy though). For 45 I ain't expecting it to be a palace.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
What hotel/motel would you guys say has the cheapest room in downtown Montreal to stay at for about 4 nights. Right now I've booked a place for ~$45 a night. It's a smaller hotel but doesn't look too shabby...room isn't too small, private bathroom, free wifi, free breakfast (will probably be crappy though). For 45 I ain't expecting it to be a palace.
45$ a night... I've never heard of anything as cheap, I think you got the right deal!

Old
04-15-2012, 03:04 PM
patnyrnyg

I must say, didouche is an absolute genius. Thank you for all the great info.

Monday night we arrived and went to Baton Rouge on Ste Catherine's, outstanding.

Tuesday we headed out to Quebec City returned around 7pm and went up to La Banquise for Poutine. Wife had the classic and I had with "steak" (really chopmeat), bacon, and sausage. Quite the scrumptious. Only caveats on the place was the menu was all if French. Not a problem for us as my wife can read, write, and speak French pretty close to fluently. Although, she likes to downplay her abilities. Seemed like all the staff was bi-lingual, but for those who dont read French, it could be tough to decide on the menu. They also do not accept credit cards. They do have an ATM, but it didnt work. Customer sitting next to us told us it never works. They do accept debit cards, but for some reason wasn't accepting mine or my wife's. We didnt have enough Canadian cash on us, but they do accept American so between American and Canadian we did have enough.

We hit Champs on Ste Laurent on Wednesday and Thursday for the games. Great place. Food was good, the Borleau (sp?) Blonde could have been a little colder, or maybe freezing the glasses would have helped, but just a minor complaint. Place had a good atmosphere, loved all the memorabilia hanging up. Also noticed on Wednesday, a group of Latinos were sitting in one of the boothes watching a soccer game. Had the hockey games, and some baseball on.

After the games wednesday, my wife wanted to try Patati Patata. She loved it, I was stuffed so just had a taste. She actually liked it better than La Banquise. I didnt notice a difference. I am not really much of a gravy person. In fact, only time I ever have gravy is the rare occassion I have poutine.

After the games thursday I hit Schwartz's across the street from Champs, and it was a great sandwich. Someone on here said it was the best in the world. I wouldnt go that far, but it was really good. Then we hit La Banquise and grabbed some Poutine to go as we walked back to hotel.

Had Lunch at McLean on Wednesday and Thursday, but we had been there before on previous trips.

Visited Old Montreal and wasn't really that impressed. Thought Vieux Quebec was much better. Also took the train out to Olympic Park. Did the tour. Tour guide was actually really funny. Saw the pool and into the stadium. They were setting up for a heavy machinery trade show. Not in the market for a bulldozer, so didn't buy anything. Enjoyed the tour, took the ride up the tower. The window design made it tough to get decent pictures of the views.

Also visited Mont Royal and walked to the top. Liked it, was a light workout getting up to the top, and a great view from the chalet.

Finally, the duty-free at the border. A bottle of Captain Spiced and a bottle of Captain Dark for only $37.

My one question, is it a custom in Montreal to approach everyone you don't know and ask them for money. I must have had 100 people ask me, and not all of them looked homeless. A lot of young people asking for money, too. Few times as we were walking saw young people pull out the window cleaning stuff and try to clean windshield. As much as I dislike our mayor here in NYC, he has done a great job ordering the police to keep the homeless off the streets and making them go to shelters. Giuliani started it in the 90's and Bloomberg has continued it.

Altogether, a great trip and looking forward to coming back. Hopefully, next year the schedule works out for a trip for Rangers-Habs up there. If not, we will just come to hang out.

Also visited the memorabilia store on the bottom floor of the Eaton Centre and picked up a nice piece. Owner gave me a discount, but as a small memorabilia dealer, I know the business works like the auto industry. You never actually pay sticker price. They had some nice stuff in there. A little overpriced on most of it, but if you ask, you can get a discount.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 03:22 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post

Monday night we arrived and went to Baton Rouge on Ste Catherine's, outstanding.

Tuesday we headed out to Quebec City returned around 7pm and went up to La Banquise for Poutine. Wife had the classic and I had with "steak" (really chopmeat), bacon, and sausage. Quite the scrumptious. Only caveats on the place was the menu was all if French. Not a problem for us as my wife can read, write, and speak French pretty close to fluently. Although, she likes to downplay her abilities. Seemed like all the staff was bi-lingual, but for those who dont read French, it could be tough to decide on the menu. They also do not accept credit cards. They do have an ATM, but it didnt work. Customer sitting next to us told us it never works. They do accept debit cards, but for some reason wasn't accepting mine or my wife's. We didnt have enough Canadian cash on us, but they do accept American so between American and Canadian we did have enough.

We hit Champs on Ste Laurent on Wednesday and Thursday for the games. Great place. Food was good, the Borleau (sp?) Blonde could have been a little colder, or maybe freezing the glasses would have helped, but just a minor complaint. Place had a good atmosphere, loved all the memorabilia hanging up. Also noticed on Wednesday, a group of Latinos were sitting in one of the boothes watching a soccer game. Had the hockey games, and some baseball on.

After the games wednesday, my wife wanted to try Patati Patata. She loved it, I was stuffed so just had a taste. She actually liked it better than La Banquise. I didnt notice a difference. I am not really much of a gravy person. In fact, only time I ever have gravy is the rare occassion I have poutine.

After the games thursday I hit Schwartz's across the street from Champs, and it was a great sandwich. Someone on here said it was the best in the world. I wouldnt go that far, but it was really good. Then we hit La Banquise and grabbed some Poutine to go as we walked back to hotel.

Had Lunch at McLean on Wednesday and Thursday, but we had been there before on previous trips.

Visited Old Montreal and wasn't really that impressed. Thought Vieux Quebec was much better. Also took the train out to Olympic Park. Did the tour. Tour guide was actually really funny. Saw the pool and into the stadium. They were setting up for a heavy machinery trade show. Not in the market for a bulldozer, so didn't buy anything. Enjoyed the tour, took the ride up the tower. The window design made it tough to get decent pictures of the views.

Also visited Mont Royal and walked to the top. Liked it, was a light workout getting up to the top, and a great view from the chalet.

Finally, the duty-free at the border. A bottle of Captain Spiced and a bottle of Captain Dark for only $37.

My one question, is it a custom in Montreal to approach everyone you don't know and ask them for money. I must have had 100 people ask me, and not all of them looked homeless. A lot of young people asking for money, too. Few times as we were walking saw young people pull out the window cleaning stuff and try to clean windshield. As much as I dislike our mayor here in NYC, he has done a great job ordering the police to keep the homeless off the streets and making them go to shelters. Giuliani started it in the 90's and Bloomberg has continued it.

Altogether, a great trip and looking forward to coming back. Hopefully, next year the schedule works out for a trip for Rangers-Habs up there. If not, we will just come to hang out.

Also visited the memorabilia store on the bottom floor of the Eaton Centre and picked up a nice piece. Owner gave me a discount, but as a small memorabilia dealer, I know the business works like the auto industry. You never actually pay sticker price. They had some nice stuff in there. A little overpriced on most of it, but if you ask, you can get a discount.
Bordeaux?

And was that a veiled insult in the "hobo" question? You must've really looked like a tourist there. If you travel enough, you'll know that some folks will know right away that you're a tourist and will try to abuse that fact. They were probably hobos/delinquents.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:13 PM
patnyrnyg

No, not an insult at all. Sorry if it came across that way. I was wearing a Rangers hat, is that enough to make me stand out as a tourist? We weren't walking around with maps in our hands, or binoculars/camera around our necks. I have been to plenty of cities around the US and Canada, an to Europe once. This was more than I have ever seen anywhere.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Mike8

Quote:
No, not an insult at all. Sorry if it came across that way. I was wearing a Rangers hat, is that enough to make me stand out as a tourist? We weren't walking around with maps in our hands, or binoculars/camera around our necks. I have been to plenty of cities around the US and Canada, an to Europe once. This was more than I have ever seen anywhere.
You may have looked like tourists, maybe not. Either way, there's an awful lot of homelessness in Montreal and beggars. More than most places I've been to--and more than any city I've been to in the West. Many other visitors to the city are astonished, so it's not just you.

Old
04-15-2012, 04:48 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
I was just bugging ya. Hence the little icon.

Yea like Mike8 said there are a lot. Toronto too. Queen St is gross.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:01 PM
schumway2

Quote:
Thanks Alex,

Pricing is not an issue.

If you want a super fancy French restaurant that's overpriced then Nuances at the Casino is your best bet. I'm talking 5 scallops and 7 gnocchi on a dish for $44.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
If you want a super fancy French restaurant that's overpriced then Nuances at the Casino is your best bet. I'm talking 5 scallops and 7 gnocchi on a dish for $44.
Fancy and overpriced, sure. But it's 'overpriced' because it's not very good, and I wouldn't say it's a great restaurant to bring a date to either.

Old
04-15-2012, 07:49 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:

My pleasure. Happy u enjoyed Montreal and that this thread was useful

ADDED a new restaurant to the list: Beaver Hall
Had a great meal there. Great place for a date

Last edited by didouche: 04-15-2012 at 07:58 PM.
didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:58 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

As I said above, me and friends are going to Montreal for a short trip/vacation. We're not making an itinerary or anything detailed, but made a list of things we'll see:

Old Montreal
Underground City
Montréal's Old Port
Basilique Notre-Dame-de-Montréal
Olympic Park
Biodôme de Montréal
Tower of Montreal
Downtown Montreal
Parc Mont-Royal
Redpath Museum
McGill University
Musée des Beaux-Arts de Montréal
Casino

Good? Bad? Leaving anything good out? I'll be honest, I haven't done much research and half the stuff on that list I have no clue what it is.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:44 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

@Meow, food?