HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Foligno, Lee to VAN.

Old
09-24-2010, 12:41 AM
biturbo19

vCash: 500
Foligno, Lee to VAN.

Just curious about what it might take to get these two players to Vancouver, either independently, or as a package.

I've watched a lot of Sens games over the past few years and become sort of a default adopted fan based on where i was living. So i'm pretty well aware of the fact that Foligno holds a lot of value for the Sens. And so far this preseason, Lee has actually looked far more promising than he did last season. But these are two guys that i think would really add something to the Canucks, and might at least potentially be available from a Sens standpoint.

Lee seems like he's really fallen out of favour in OTT, though his preseason has redeemed himself somewhat...there are a ton of talented young d-men pressing from behind, and Foligno could land in the top-6, but if a guy like Regin bumps him, he's probably somewhat expenable if it makes the Sens better.

So with that said...

In my view, the Canucks have some real depth of NHL calibre defencemen to deal from, which could be interesting for Ottawa with Kuba out for a while...and honestly, a somewhat fragile top-4 as a whole (Gonchar, Karlsson, Kuba haven't demonstrated themselves to be the most durable d-men ever at this point in their respective careers). and Karlsson lookis like a stud...but that's a pretty young set of shoulders to lay real playoff aspirations on without a backup plans a top-4 guy.

I'd venture, Bieksa is very available, obviously...a potential top-4 guy, but also O'Brien, Alberts, Rome as well. IMO, O'Brien or Alberts would look pretty good alongside Karlsson as a stay-at-home LH, physical guy. Perhaps some of the younger guys are available as well, though i doubt Ottawa would have any interest there with the solid pipeline they have on the blueline.

There are also some offensive prospects to deal from, but beyond Rodin, Hodgson is essentially a non-starter, and Schroeder would take some real prying, but i wouldn't say he's completely untouchable for the right package. Anything beyond that is realistically pretty boom or bust, and i'm not sure they'd hold much value for Ottawa. but there might be some add-ons there.

The roster forwards: Sedins, Burrows, Samuelsson, Kesler, Raymond are definitely off the table. And UFA signings are off the table just based on the fact we just signed them. Other than that, it's pretty fair game. A guy like Hansen might be a useful part if Foligno is involved? some cap savings, but still a solid young bottom-6 player with PK ability, and some untapped offensive potential?

anyway, long-winded enough. any chance there's a realistic deal to be made there for either or both?

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:48 AM
OttawaGM

Lee could be available, but I doubt Foligno is going anywhere for a few years. Last year he was really starting to elevate his game to a new level and then he broke his leg. Once he came back it took him a bit of time to get going and he never really got to the same level as earlier in the year. Now that he's had time to regain his strength over the summer he has looked good so far this preseason and looks to be building on his first half of last season. We are very weak on LW (Ruutu is the only other true LW we have, even Michalek would like to play RW if possible) so I don't see Nick being moved.

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:49 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Just curious about what it might take to get these two players to Vancouver, either independently, or as a package.

I've watched a lot of Sens games over the past few years and become sort of a default adopted fan based on where i was living. So i'm pretty well aware of the fact that Foligno holds a lot of value for the Sens. And so far this preseason, Lee has actually looked far more promising than he did last season. But these are two guys that i think would really add something to the Canucks, and might at least potentially be available from a Sens standpoint.

Lee seems like he's really fallen out of favour in OTT, though his preseason has redeemed himself somewhat...there are a ton of talented young d-men pressing from behind, and Foligno could land in the top-6, but if a guy like Regin bumps him, he's probably somewhat expenable if it makes the Sens better.

So with that said...

In my view, the Canucks have some real depth of NHL calibre defencemen to deal from, which could be interesting for Ottawa with Kuba out for a while...and honestly, a somewhat fragile top-4 as a whole (Gonchar, Karlsson, Kuba haven't demonstrated themselves to be the most durable d-men ever at this point in their respective careers). and Karlsson lookis like a stud...but that's a pretty young set of shoulders to lay real playoff aspirations on without a backup plans a top-4 guy.

I'd venture, Bieksa is very available, obviously...a potential top-4 guy, but also O'Brien, Alberts, Rome as well. IMO, O'Brien or Alberts would look pretty good alongside Karlsson as a stay-at-home LH, physical guy. Perhaps some of the younger guys are available as well, though i doubt Ottawa would have any interest there with the solid pipeline they have on the blueline.

There are also some offensive prospects to deal from, but beyond Rodin, Hodgson is essentially a non-starter, and Schroeder would take some real prying, but i wouldn't say he's completely untouchable for the right package. Anything beyond that is realistically pretty boom or bust, and i'm not sure they'd hold much value for Ottawa. but there might be some add-ons there.

The roster forwards: Sedins, Burrows, Samuelsson, Kesler, Raymond are definitely off the table. And UFA signings are off the table just based on the fact we just signed them. Other than that, it's pretty fair game. A guy like Hansen might be a useful part if Foligno is involved? some cap savings, but still a solid young bottom-6 player with PK ability, and some untapped offensive potential?

anyway, long-winded enough. any chance there's a realistic deal to be made there for either or both?
So Foligno Lee for Hansen O'brien pick ?

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:49 AM
SomeoneGreat

Bieksa for Lee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
It's extremely unlikely that Hansen will be traded. Not necessarily a core player, but a very solid bottom 6er.

SomeoneGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:54 AM
OttawaGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneGreat View Post
Bieksa for Lee?
Closer to the deadline maybe, but right now we really don't have the cap space to add any more players.

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:56 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Bieksa for Lee?

It's extremely unlikely that Hansen will be traded. Not necessarily a core player, but a very solid bottom 6er.
I dont think they have the cap space.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 01:05 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
Lee could be available, but I doubt Foligno is going anywhere for a few years. Last year he was really starting to elevate his game to a new level and then he broke his leg. Once he came back it took him a bit of time to get going and he never really got to the same level as earlier in the year. Now that he's had time to regain his strength over the summer he has looked good so far this preseason and looks to be building on his first half of last season. We are very weak on LW (Ruutu is the only other true LW we have, even Michalek would like to play RW if possible) so I don't see Nick being moved.
interesting perspective. i had kind of gathered the general consensus was that Regin would end up taking that final top-6 LW spot, but i do see how moving Foligno might not be in Ottawa's plans. Management seems pretty high on Regin this year. But Foligno has definitely looked hungry in the preseason from what i've seen.

Quote:
personally, i'd dance a jig if that happened, provided that pick isn't a 1st rounder.

Quote:
I dont think they have the cap space.
i think cap space is probably going to be an issue going both ways. makes it a bit trickier to sort out, if it's is workable at all. Sens seem to have a bit of wiggle room though.

Old
09-24-2010, 01:09 AM
wiredmaverick

It seems like it's making a move for the sake of making a move.

It's very possible that Bieksa, O'Brien and/or Hansen could have career years. If it gets down to the trade deadline and Gillis thinks that he can upgrade in a position, I'm sure he will. But for now, I think we have to give what we have a chance.

wiredmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 01:37 AM
Kagee*

I'd rather have Smith or Bass than Foligno because they fill a more pressing need for the Canucks, and they are easier to acquire than Foligno.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 01:46 AM
biturbo19

i'd love to have Smith on the Canucks. he'd basically be the perfect 4th line C that we need. but honestly...if i'm Murray, there's basically no way i give him up because as a 4th liner, he's just not going to get the value that he'd need to make it worth it. i mean, i don't see a team giving up highly skilled assets to get him, and i don't see OTT giving him away for anything less than a very skilled asset.

that kid really does look like an ideal 4th line C though.

Bass i'm not so sold on. he's interesting, but...i'm not sure he wouldn't get lost in the Canucks depth battles.

Old
09-24-2010, 02:01 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Bieksa for Lee?
If we had the cap space, sold.

Quote:
To be fair, Foligno is already a very solid bottom 6er who has a good chance of cracking the Sens top-6 this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
i'd love to have Smith on the Canucks. he'd basically be the perfect 4th line C that we need. but honestly...if i'm Murray, there's basically no way i give him up because as a 4th liner, he's just not going to get the value that he'd need to make it worth it. i mean, i don't see a team giving up highly skilled assets to get him, and i don't see OTT giving him away for anything less than a very skilled asset.

that kid really does look like an ideal 4th line C though.

Bass i'm not so sold on. he's interesting, but...i'm not sure he wouldn't get lost in the Canucks depth battles.
You pretty much nailed it with Smith. He's obviously not untouchable, but his current value to the Sens is more than any reasonable GM would give up for a guy with 16 career NHL games, and understandably so.

Bass is certainly available, but I sure as hell wouldn't be sold on him either. He looked promising during his first stint, but he's been anything but since. I don't think he has much of a future with the organization, I suspect once his deal is up next summer he could be had for free (doubt if the Sens offer a contract, or a fair one at least).

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 02:36 AM
danishh

vCash: 50
just a heads-up: lee looks better than he ever has this preseason. Granted karlsson is the only top-4 dman who has played yet (1/2 games), but still, he's certainly making an early case to be in the starting lineup over campoli. Sens brass will wait until kuba is healthy until making a decision regarding trading a dman anyways, so this thread might be premature.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 02:56 AM
nuckfan insk

realisticly
zach smith for ???????

nuckfan insk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 03:17 AM
eklunds source

I think if the Canucks wanted Lee and/or Foligno, they'd have to offer something more than Bieksa/O'Brien/Rome/Alberts. None of those guys exactly scream "value!" and Lee/Foligno are both young players who can contribute at varying levels both now and one could expect improvement.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 03:47 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
I think if the Canucks wanted Lee and/or Foligno, they'd have to offer something more than Bieksa/O'Brien/Rome/Alberts. None of those guys exactly scream "value!" and Lee/Foligno are both young players who can contribute at varying levels both now and one could expect improvement.
I agree with you about Foligno, but I can't see Brian Lee having too much value really.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Asquaredx2

The Sens have a pretty lousy forward prospect corps so they'll only deal guys like Foligno or Smith if it's really worth it for them.

Lee you could probably have for a forward prospect.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:44 AM
DG

Quote:
So by that logic, you expect Ottawa to give up a potential top 6 player, but are not willing to give up a non-core, non-top 6 player. Nice.

Consider also Ottawa's lack of depth with respect to young forwards...

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannoabram View Post
realisticly
zach smith for ???????
Yes forget about Foligno,

Zach Smith for prospects Anthony and Shirokov?

Or maybe Hansen and a prospect?

Last edited by Kagee*: 09-24-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 01:07 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Bieksa for Lee+ would be a good move for both teams (if Ottawa had the cap space)

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 01:57 PM
bdp

Should have just signed Zack Smith if you really wanted him, didn't he try out for you guys?

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 02:15 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannoabram View Post
realisticly
zach smith for ???????
Not much I would trade him for, he was drafted 3rd round and has definitely surpassed expectations. I would trade him for a high 2nd (something Vancouver doesnt have) but he's not even worth that anyways. Winchester would be a better fit for you. He's better not and would cost far, far less.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 03:00 PM
denkiteki

Nucks are going for the cup and realistically Lee will not see any action with the 'nucks without at least 4 injuries. If Bieksa + 1 other dman gets traded in the deal, there still needs to be 2 injuries before Lee gets to see any action... or 1 injury while Salo is out. Not to mention no guarantee he's ahead of Sweatt (Lee) in the death chart for this season.

Folingo would also have trouble cracking the line-up just because of the number of bodies we have and the lack of a real top 6 role just like in Ottawa (basically only hole is Burrow's spot for just over a month). The 3rd line really has 1 spot on it and quite a few players seem to be competing for it. If Hodgson doesn't/isn't healthy enough to win the spot, it looks like Morrison will win the 3rd line center spot (pushing Malholtra to LW) based on his play so far.

Basically neither player have much interest for the 'nucks this season. If its a trade for Bieksa, its possible later on in the year but not now since we don't have any cap problems right now and would benefit having Bieksa in the line-up (being the only RHS dman). A deadline move would be possible but at that time, Alberts and SOB will likely be off the market/on another team. I got a feeling that with Sweatt's play, either Alberts or SOB will be on the market for cap reasons (i.e. carrying 7 dman + Sweatt play with the moose and can him up when needed since he does not need to clear waivers this season).

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 05:36 PM
GCM
Stork

Maybe next year

Neither team has room and neither team is really looking for this kind of trade. Give it till the trade deadline or the next off-season and then it's worth throwing out there.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:42 PM
caley

Every time I see this thread, I read it as "Value of: Fogolin, Lee to Vancouver" and I think "Gee, I'd rather have Lee Fogolin on the Oilers right now,but I think he might be a little too old".

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 11:15 PM
God
Free Citizen

Bieksa for Lee is awful value for the Canucks. Maybe Lee and a 1st, but we don't really need more prospects.

God is offline   Reply With Quote