HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Habs new RDS/Français out-of-market $60 TV Package

Old
09-09-2014, 11:22 AM
GuyGuyGuy
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Habs new RDS/Français out-of-market $60 TV Package

Waiting with great anxiety over losing the RDS package outside of the Eastern Province area, an announcement was just made to charge an extra $60 for the games. What do remote Habs fans think?

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...across-country

GuyGuyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

It's a good compromise for Rogers to us Habs fans that live outside of Quebec. For the last 10-15 years, I've been able to access every Canadiens game in French through a subscription to RDS (living in Alberta and then Ontario). With Rogers/TVA taking the national rights, there were legitimate fears that the special privilege that we had would be lost.

The $60 allows me to have access to every Canadiens game this year. I will be buying it for sure.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2014, 12:56 PM
GuyGuyGuy
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
It's a good compromise for Rogers to us Habs fans that live outside of Quebec. For the last 10-15 years, I've been able to access every Canadiens game in French through a subscription to RDS (living in Alberta and then Ontario). With Rogers/TVA taking the national rights, there were legitimate fears that the special privilege that we had would be lost.

The $60 allows me to have access to every Canadiens game this year. I will be buying it for sure.
...or a big money grab, perhaps?

If it were only the $60, then it would be a bargain. But with ShawDirect, for example, that's on top of a satellite TV package that requires a basic package for around $50/month, plus another $14 (including the additional ripoff to pay extra for HD feeds) or so if you want to watch TSN and the regional Sports Nets, plus another $7 if you want to subscribe to RDS and TVA Sports.

This means that you could already be at around $70 per month before the $60. That's what makes it the big money grab. Last year, you could get the most basic cable and get RDS/RDS2 for another $5 or so.

What's your system and pre-package monthly going to look like? How has it or will it rise?

To me, the NHL Centre Ice online is looking more attractive... IF the French games are available out of market. But the latter is a lingering question.

Last edited by GuyGuyGuy: 09-09-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old
09-09-2014, 01:00 PM
GuyGuyGuy
Rookie User

Here's another article on this, in the Gazette btw:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...356/story.html

Old
09-10-2014, 03:02 AM
gelu88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyGuyGuy View Post
...or a big money grab, perhaps?

If it were only the $60, then it would be a bargain. But with ShawDirect, for example, that's on top of a satellite TV package that requires a basic package for around $50/month, plus another $14 (including the additional ripoff to pay extra for HD feeds) or so if you want to watch TSN and the regional Sports Nets, plus another $7 if you want to subscribe to RDS and TVA Sports.

This means that you could already be at around $70 per month before the $60. That's what makes it the big money grab. Last year, you could get the most basic cable and get RDS/RDS2 for another $5 or so.

What's your system and pre-package monthly going to look like? How has it or will it rise?

To me, the NHL Centre Ice online is looking more attractive... IF the French games are available out of market. But the latter is a lingering question.
Things are worse, but it's not nearly that bad.

18 games will be availible free over the air on CBC. Add that to the 60 RDS games and you get 78 of 82 games for your $60, plus the cost of an antenna if you don't have one.

for those last 4 games you could spend a crazy amount of money for the full package, or maybe just go out to a bar 4 times a season? Perhaps plan a party at a friends/family house who has sportsnet?

gelu88 is offline   Reply With Quote