HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Cable revenue dropping, broadband on the rise

Old
08-14-2016, 05:11 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Cable revenue dropping, broadband on the rise

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/fore...-10-years.html

Quote:
It was as recently as 2011 when cable was booming and seemingly looking at a level playing field with the broadcast networks. CNN and ESPN were in over 100 million homes and looking to gain more households. But as broadband speeds got faster and video streaming technology improved, cable began losing subscribers. Now as viewers are consuming video in different ways, either cutting the cord, cutting back on cable channels or even refusing to subscribe to pay TV altogether, cable finds itself in a crossroads.

A new forecast by industry analyst SNL Kagan predicts that revenue from basic cable TV subscriptions will drop from about $57.7 billion this year to about $55.0 billion in 2026.

And while that’s seemingly a hit, the same forecast projects that the cable companies will more than make up for that loss by raking in $11 billion in residential broadband subscriptions. So while the cable companies will see fewer homes subscribing to pay TV, they’ll still hook homes through internet bundles and still making their money.
So, by offering other services, cable companies are helping stave off the cutter losses.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2016, 09:32 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Android boxes are a huge hit.

I'd like to get one myself.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2016, 09:39 PM
Borschevsky

And thus, one of the biggest reasons ISPs introduce monthly data caps on residential internet packages. Hey look, a new revenue source.

Borschevsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2016, 09:51 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Android boxes are a huge hit.

I'd like to get one myself.
I have 2.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2016, 11:11 PM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

This IMO is a big reason why Rogers sees their numbers down and less so because of them "ruining" it.

Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2016, 07:44 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borschevsky View Post
And thus, one of the biggest reasons ISPs introduce monthly data caps on residential internet packages. Hey look, a new revenue source.
Hopefully some competition helps keep the cost down. Right now, Comcast is the major player with a few outliers. Here in Atlanta, Google Fiber has just started and is offering cheaper and faster internet. Hopefully more follow.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2016, 08:33 AM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Are they really crying about loosing $2B out of $55M ?

That's like us poor ass working class losing 0.1 cents on $10/hour wage.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2016, 08:34 AM
killer1980

Stories do not often cover the collateral damage done by cord cutting. In the U.S. Comcast is really the only cable player that controls its own content. What is to become of CBS, Fox and even ABC (ESPN) and all the smaller networks they own is wide open to speculation. Interestingly, in Canada, the cable companies all control their own content. So, the fact that cord cutting is accelerating, Rogers, Bell and Shaw control the online (broadband) market. While cord cutting speeds up, more and more people will be increasing their online presence. Canadian media companies should be, more or less, unaffected. Interesting to point out that these guys also dominate the cell phone market and that they have been allowed to monopolize in all things media by the Canadian Government.

While it is true that cable companies will be fine, the networks that are dependent on revenue from the cable companies are in serious danger. Ya, I know, who cares about the weather channel or lifetime or TLC? However, there are hundreds of thousands of jobs at risk. This does open up the opportunity for more websites and internet channels to succeed but it is unlikely that any of the old-timer tv people will ever work in their chosen profession again.The real losers will be the middle class who will lose their jobs as more and more networks either shut down or downsize dramatically as they transition to online.

killer1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2016, 08:35 AM
TrillMike

I've been considering switching to Sling TV for a couple months now.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2016, 09:45 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Are they really crying about loosing $2B out of $55M ?

That's like us poor ass working class losing 0.1 cents on $10/hour wage.
It's a 3.5% drop, so more like 30 cents on a $10/hr wage.

But I think the bigger point is, if your wages have dropped 3.5% over the course of an entire decade, that's actually a pretty bad state of affairs. It's not just the loss of income (which is significant when you multiply it over time) but also the fact that other people are stepping over you to get up the economic ladder. Even just holding steady is basically the same thing as moving backwards.

In the case of cable companies, a revenue projection doesn't account for the market's response to those troubles. As an advertiser, would you put more money into cable ads over the next decade, or less? As an investor, would you put more money into companies that manufacture cable TV infrastructure, or less? There's a "death by 1000 cuts" factor when an entire industry starts moving in the wrong direction.

Also, I'm not convinced that cable companies are going to be able to squeeze the market for internet services indefinitely. The arrival of competition, currently in the form of Google but eventually other providers, changes the dynamic completely. And as soon as someone figures out how to bring cordless broadband connections to the market, it's game over for the companies that are invested in that infrastructure.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2016, 09:51 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrillMike View Post
if you have a ps3/ps3 or fire Tv I would strongly recommend kicking the tires on playstation vue as well, which in my hands has been far far better than slingtv. Especially if you have multiple devices and like the idea of being able to use the box more like a dvr.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2016, 09:59 AM
killer1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
It's a 3.5% drop, so more like 30 cents on a $10/hr wage.

But I think the bigger point is, if your wages have dropped 3.5% over the course of an entire decade, that's actually a pretty bad state of affairs. It's not just the loss of income (which is significant when you multiply it over time) but also the fact that other people are stepping over you to get up the economic ladder. Even just holding steady is basically the same thing as moving backwards.

In the case of cable companies, a revenue projection doesn't account for the market's response to those troubles. As an advertiser, would you put more money into cable ads over the next decade, or less? As an investor, would you put more money into companies that manufacture cable TV infrastructure, or less? There's a "death by 1000 cuts" factor when an entire industry starts moving in the wrong direction.

Also, I'm not convinced that cable companies are going to be able to squeeze the market for internet services indefinitely. The arrival of competition, currently in the form of Google but eventually other providers, changes the dynamic completely. And as soon as someone figures out how to bring cordless broadband connections to the market, it's game over for the companies that are invested in that infrastructure.
Nice to read someone who knows his stuff. It will more difficult in Canada where the BIG 3 hold a monopoly over all things media. They will probably have the government block Google and keep out any competition that would help the consumer and create more jobs.

Old
08-15-2016, 11:21 AM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer1980 View Post
Ya, I know, who cares about the weather channel or lifetime or TLC? However, there are hundreds of thousands of jobs at risk. This does open up the opportunity for more websites and internet channels to succeed but it is unlikely that any of the old-timer tv people will ever work in their chosen profession again.The real losers will be the middle class who will lose their jobs as more and more networks either shut down or downsize dramatically as they transition to online.
It's definitely going to be hard on some people who will lose jobs, but the whole business of Canadian-content rules blocking successful American channels, then creating knock-off Canadian versions of them was parasitical (on the Canadian viewer) from the beginning and a mediocrity machine more than anything else.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2016, 12:44 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
if you have a ps3/ps3 or fire Tv I would strongly recommend kicking the tires on playstation vue as well, which in my hands has been far far better than slingtv. Especially if you have multiple devices and like the idea of being able to use the box more like a dvr.
Thanks for the advice. I have an Xbox one. My plan is to sign up for a free trial and see how it works. I'm waiting for hockey season to start to see how it works.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2016, 02:05 PM
tony d
Is it though?

No surprise to see this. I have no plan to get rid of cable but I think I'm going to be in the minority. I bought Apple TV last year, one of the best things I've ever done.

08-15-2016, 07:03 PM
Exactorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
It's definitely going to be hard on some people who will lose jobs, but the whole business of Canadian-content rules blocking successful American channels, then creating knock-off Canadian versions of them was parasitical (on the Canadian viewer) from the beginning and a mediocrity machine more than anything else.
Truth is the U.S. Is basically in the same situation. I'm not sure that 'Honey Booboo' or 'Duck Dynasty' qualifies as any kind of quality programming. The States is going to a la crate soon and the cord cutting is having a deleterious effect on the networks there. Even 'The Mouse' is feeling the effects on his flagship ESPN. I actually worked for a network that was shut down because of the cord cutting and move away from TV.

Exactorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2016, 10:37 PM
varsaku

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrillMike View Post
Services like Sling TV are really worth it. As a person who only watches Live TV for sports, I am not inclined on spending alot on channels I don't need. Services like Sling TV cover the major sports networks needed.

varsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2016, 10:09 AM
Preds33
RIP Shea Weber!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exactorman View Post
Truth is the U.S. Is basically in the same situation. I'm not sure that 'Honey Booboo' or 'Duck Dynasty' qualifies as any kind of quality programming. The States is going to a la crate soon and the cord cutting is having a deleterious effect on the networks there. Even 'The Mouse' is feeling the effects on his flagship ESPN. I actually worked for a network that was shut down because of the cord cutting and move away from TV.
I see everyone buying from the individual networks via streaming before I see this (ESPN is already looking at this). There is not a law of any kind that is forcing this here and the cable companies are not just going to willingly cut their profits.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2016, 11:21 AM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borschevsky View Post
This is huge for Comcast, which can offset any losses with its NHL TV contract with metering of Intetnrt usage. The NHL can also benefit by selling its product directly rather than through middlemen, although there is the issue of Internet metering.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2016, 12:45 PM
killer1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
This is huge for Comcast, which can offset any losses with its NHL TV contract with metering of Intetnrt usage. The NHL can also benefit by selling its product directly rather than through middlemen, although there is the issue of Internet metering.
Comcast was the only carrier to get into the content business. They can control their own destiny. The same cannot be said for the other networks. They will all take a hit. I think much bigger than anyone expects.

Old
08-17-2016, 12:52 PM
SavageSteve

Quote:
This is huge for Comcast, which can offset any losses with its NHL TV contract with metering of Internet usage. The NHL can also benefit by selling its product directly rather than through middlemen, although there is the issue of Internet metering.
Comcast has been selling 250 Mbps service in Nashville, TN with no data caps for $70/month since at least February. I have this service and have had no issues since its stable and rarely goes down.

Metering data is becoming less of an issue it seems... but if they do not have to maintain and service all of their boxes... #bigprofits #underweargnomes

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2016, 03:19 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
As always, IMO it's a poor business model that relies on deliberately making your product worse.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2016, 03:34 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageSteve View Post
Comcast has been selling 250 Mbps service in Nashville, TN with no data caps for $70/month since at least February. I have this service and have had no issues since its stable and rarely goes down.

Metering data is becoming less of an issue it seems... but if they do not have to maintain and service all of their boxes... #bigprofits #underweargnomes
I wish that would be the tendance but sadly it is not.

Back in 2004-5ish, I was paying about $100/month for unlimited internet, then suddenly it got capped at 200GB, then at 150 then at 90...the price tho, while it went down by a buck or two to ''compensate'' as soon as yearly renewal hit it went up by $5. Speed of course increased, but for the day to day use I do as well with a 10 Mbps as I would do with 100 Mbps.

Old
08-17-2016, 04:41 PM
WTFMAN99

I'm looking into my options for the upcoming season when I buy my own place and deciding if it's worth it to get cable or look at some internet options for my games...really only need CBC/Sportsnet/TSN channels to see games.

Unfortunately at the end of the day, I gotta watch the $$ - but I do need my hockey and strongly prefer it in HD now.

WTFMAN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2016, 10:25 AM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
I'm looking into my options for the upcoming season when I buy my own place and deciding if it's worth it to get cable or look at some internet options for my games...really only need CBC/Sportsnet/TSN channels to see games.

Unfortunately at the end of the day, I gotta watch the $$ - but I do need my hockey and strongly prefer it in HD now.
Personal experience says you will be able to get a TV-PHONE-INTERNET package for 60-80$ for like 3-6 months...then things jump to 250$.

I tried it for a while but its not worth all the hassle. Now I pay 80,23$ taxes included for 60mbps down/10 mbps upload with 400gb monthly limit...all contract less so I can cancel whenever and without expiry date.