HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Sources say that Lightning will host 2018 ASG

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2017, 11:58 AM
  #1
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 67,356
vCash: 500
Sources say that Lightning will host 2018 ASG

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/tampa-...161755078.html
Sources: Tampa Bay Lightning expected to host 2018 NHL All-Star Game

More proof no Olympics

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 12:05 PM
  #2
canuckfan75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
I do not know why people think Bettman is bluffing.


This is the same main who cancelled a entire season.


this is further proof no olympics

canuckfan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 12:09 PM
  #3
ResilientBeast
Moderator
ATD Draft Czar
 
ResilientBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,397
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckfan75 View Post
I do not know why people think Bettman is bluffing.


This is the same main who cancelled a entire season.


this is further proof no olympics
No he didn't the owners did, he's just their figure head

ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 12:15 PM
  #4
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 31,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckfan75 View Post
I do not know why people think Bettman is bluffing.
I have to think people at NBC want NHL represented Olympics and I have to think they have alot of sway what the NHL does. That's my theory why he is bluffing

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 12:50 PM
  #5
CokenoPepsi
Registered User
 
CokenoPepsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
No he didn't the owners did, he's just their figure head
Bettman controls the owners it really is becoming clear

CokenoPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 01:08 PM
  #6
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH
 
Tom ServoMST3K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Just off 75
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,635
vCash: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by CokenoPepsi View Post
Bettman controls the owners it really is becoming clear
Bettman does what the executive wants him to do. The other owners dare not go against the executive.

Bettman is the best meat shield the owners could ever ask for.

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 01:22 PM
  #7
ACC1224
Hate the Patriots
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 40,645
vCash: 500
Excellent, anywhere but Toronto works.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 01:42 PM
  #8
Llama19
Registered User
 
Llama19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outside GZ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,004
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Excellent, anywhere but Toronto works.
Tell that to Glendale, Arizona...

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 02:37 PM
  #9
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies
 
powerstuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Town NHL hates !
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,297
vCash: 500
What's evident is that the next US-TV contract cannot come soon enough.

I can, today, with certitude, make the following call : The Olympics will be part of the TV deal. NHL will ask for more cash from TV Networks in exchange of guaranteed participation in the Olympics.

And I can also make a statement that Rogers overpaid the Canadian rights and that the US rights won't match the Canadian rights despite having 10x the viewership. Gary ain't gonna like it, but he lives in his own world.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 02:44 PM
  #10
MJF
No Sleep Till Elmont
 
MJF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,250
vCash: 500
Absolutely shocking that the NHL never gave it a thought to have the ASG at Barclays Center.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 07:51 PM
  #11
Win Jiggys Loft
Registered User
 
Win Jiggys Loft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,253
vCash: 500
I'm just salty that Anaheim still hasn't hosted either a draft or an All Star game.

Win Jiggys Loft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 08:03 PM
  #12
Jonas1235
Registered User
 
Jonas1235's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
What's evident is that the next US-TV contract cannot come soon enough.

I can, today, with certitude, make the following call : The Olympics will be part of the TV deal. NHL will ask for more cash from TV Networks in exchange of guaranteed participation in the Olympics.

And I can also make a statement that Rogers overpaid the Canadian rights and that the US rights won't match the Canadian rights despite having 10x the viewership. Gary ain't gonna like it, but he lives in his own world.
Nope.

NHL cares about the NHL, it could not give a damn about the Olympics or World Championships or anything else. They are a business. If the IOC puts a Winter Olympics in any place other than NA or Europe they will not participate UNLESS the country pays a ransom like China is doing.

Does NBC want NHL at Olympics, yes. Do they know that more people watch figure skating and skiing than hockey, YES!

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:52 PM
  #13
Inkling
Same Old Hockey
 
Inkling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
No he didn't the owners did, he's just their figure head
$9.5 million per year to be a glorified secretary and figurehead? Nice work if you can get it.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 12:40 AM
  #14
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 67,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Jiggys Loft View Post
I'm just salty that Anaheim still hasn't hosted either a draft or an All Star game.
Draft is nominally money losing event. Find owner and/or sponsor to offset costs?

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 09:19 AM
  #15
northeastern
Registered User
 
northeastern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: boston
Country: United States
Posts: 7,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CokenoPepsi View Post
Bettman controls the owners it really is becoming clear
No he doesn't... He's employed by the board. It's wonderful people like Jeremy Jacobs that control the decisions and dictate actions

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 09:31 AM
  #16
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies
 
powerstuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Town NHL hates !
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
Nope.

NHL cares about the NHL, it could not give a damn about the Olympics or World Championships or anything else. They are a business. If the IOC puts a Winter Olympics in any place other than NA or Europe they will not participate UNLESS the country pays a ransom like China is doing.

Does NBC want NHL at Olympics, yes. Do they know that more people watch figure skating and skiing than hockey, YES!
But that NHL business also like the $ quite a lot. If NBCs NHL contract goes 20mil up per year because they go to Olympics, thats $80M per olympic event. NHL won't say no to that.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 10:23 AM
  #17
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 17,480
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Tell that to Glendale, Arizona...
tell that to Pittsburgh, not once, but twice, and Buffalo while you're at it, Llama, have you forgotten about Rigas out there, not everything revolves around the Coyotes

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 10:29 AM
  #18
Llama19
Registered User
 
Llama19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outside GZ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,004
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
tell that to Pittsburgh, not once, but twice, and Buffalo while you're at it, Llama, have you forgotten about Rigas out there, not everything revolves around the Coyotes
The NHL All-Star game was not promised not once but twice...

To quote:

"Originally planned for 2006 and 2011, the NHL has cancelled twice on the Coyotes and has not delivered an All-Star Game to the 20 year Phoenix market.

Along with the Coyotes, only two active clubs have not hosted an All-Star Game, the Ducks and Jets. While the Coyotes off-ice struggles continue, owner Anthony LeBlanc has been pushing for the team to have alternative options to help bolster the franchise including an All-Star Game and outdoor game. Although the arena remains a question, Phoenix is a destination market and has hosted multiple big events including Super Bowls."

Source: http://thehockeywriters.com/hey-nhl-...all-star-game/

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 10:33 AM
  #19
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 17,480
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
The NHL All-Star game was not promised not once but twice...

To quote:

"Originally planned for 2006 and 2011, the NHL has cancelled twice on the Coyotes and has not delivered an All-Star Game to the 20 year Phoenix market.

Along with the Coyotes, only two active clubs have not hosted an All-Star Game, the Ducks and Jets. While the Coyotes off-ice struggles continue, owner Anthony LeBlanc has been pushing for the team to have alternative options to help bolster the franchise including an All-Star Game and outdoor game. Although the arena remains a question, Phoenix is a destination market and has hosted multiple big events including Super Bowls."

Source: http://thehockeywriters.com/hey-nhl-...all-star-game/
so, change out Arizona for Pittsburgh or Buffalo, and you would still have the same issues and what if, the Penguins had accepted Kansas City and rejected Lemieux outright, as I stated, not everything revolves around Arizona. Need I mention Carolina here and we all know how that goes.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 10:44 AM
  #20
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
The NHL All-Star game was not promised not once but twice...

To quote:

"Originally planned for 2006 and 2011, the NHL has cancelled twice on the Coyotes and has not delivered an All-Star Game to the 20 year Phoenix market.

Along with the Coyotes, only two active clubs have not hosted an All-Star Game, the Ducks and Jets. While the Coyotes off-ice struggles continue, owner Anthony LeBlanc has been pushing for the team to have alternative options to help bolster the franchise including an All-Star Game and outdoor game. Although the arena remains a question, Phoenix is a destination market and has hosted multiple big events including Super Bowls."
Right.... and if the NHL had actually "sold the club" to "real owners", any real owner worth his salt at anytime between 2009 & 2013 in negotiating the purchase would have demanded the market host not only the cancelled ASG but so too be awarded a Draft AND an Outdoor Stadium Game, all 3 of which to be staged within the 1st 5yrs moving forward. Instead of take take take, how about the league actually stepping up to the plate & putting some meat on the table in awarding these events to a market that was/is in serious need of every & anykind of assistance they can provide? Put your money where your mouth is & help us out here already. Pathetic.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 10:49 AM
  #21
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
so, change out Arizona for Pittsburgh or Buffalo, and you would still have the same issues and what if, the Penguins had accepted Kansas City and rejected Lemieux outright, as I stated, not everything revolves around Arizona. Need I mention Carolina here and we all know how that goes.
Those are hypotheticals. The reality here is that they had & still have a burning dumpster fire going on in Glendale and if they truly meant what theyve said about the market, 110% commitment then absolutely the ASG, a Draft and an Outdoor Stadium Game should have been awarded, already taken place or scheduled to take place.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 11:04 AM
  #22
Yukon Joe
Registered User
 
Yukon Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Posts: 2,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
The NHL All-Star game was not promised not once but twice...

To quote:

"Originally planned for 2006 and 2011, the NHL has cancelled twice on the Coyotes and has not delivered an All-Star Game to the 20 year Phoenix market.

Along with the Coyotes, only two active clubs have not hosted an All-Star Game, the Ducks and Jets. While the Coyotes off-ice struggles continue, owner Anthony LeBlanc has been pushing for the team to have alternative options to help bolster the franchise including an All-Star Game and outdoor game. Although the arena remains a question, Phoenix is a destination market and has hosted multiple big events including Super Bowls."

Source: http://thehockeywriters.com/hey-nhl-...all-star-game/
Winnipeg was supposed to have either the '95 or '96 NHL Draft, but it was cancelled due to the instability of the franchise (which subsequently moved of course).

When is our make up Draft?

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 11:11 AM
  #23
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
Winnipeg was supposed to have either the '95 or '96 NHL Draft, but it was cancelled due to the instability of the franchise (which subsequently moved of course).

When is our make up Draft?
... sayz the Lawyer.... nice try Joe. A little matter of a broken chain huh? But g'head. File. Might find a sympathetic Judge.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 11:18 AM
  #24
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ϶(o)ϵ
Posts: 36,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Jiggys Loft View Post
I'm just salty that Anaheim still hasn't hosted either a draft or an All Star game.

That seems odd, doesn't it? It's in a great location for large groups/conventions, with Disneyland nearby. I love hating the Ducks from a rivalry perspective, but the franchise has done very well.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 12:17 PM
  #25
Burke the Legend
Registered User
 
Burke the Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,453
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I have to think people at NBC want NHL represented Olympics and I have to think they have alot of sway what the NHL does. That's my theory why he is bluffing
NBC doesn't pay them for the Olympics. NBC doesn't even pay them much at all. I think people overestimate NBC's influence over the NHL, they make up a small part of the revenue and the contract is in its final stages. Where exactly does all this leverage NBC has come from?

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.