HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

The new and improved concussion thread

Old
06-03-2017, 11:34 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...d-dubas-leafs/

Quote:
"I was on the left post, kind of down and he cut into the middle. As soon as the impact happened, my vision changed. It was noticeable…scared me instantly, because my vision was different."

Lieuwen suffered a concussion, but the consequences were not similar to most we know.

“I’m very fortunate that I’m not experiencing headaches or dizziness. But I had serious deficiencies with my eyesight. There’s a long and a short story. The short one is that you’re reaching for a bar you can never get to. I just made the NHL, and I wanted to get back. It’s all you are focused on.”
Goalie Nathan Lieuwen talks about his concussion with Friedman.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2017, 09:00 PM
Tinalera

I'm thinking, depending on what happens with the court case, going to be some really interested heated discussion between owners and nhlpa during next cba discussions as they pertain to who is responsible for what when it comes to concussions and related dialogue. The pa and owners I'm sure are not going to forget the sniping between the two leading up to the court case.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 12:48 PM
cbcwpg

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...605-story.html

Judge tosses suit against NHL over enforcer's death, on-ice violence

Feinerman said the plaintiffs also failed to provide proof that the NHL was negligent, either by promoting violence in the game or hiding a growing body of evidence on the long-term effects of concussions on its players.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 05:57 PM
PuckProphet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...605-story.html

Judge tosses suit against NHL over enforcer's death, on-ice violence

Feinerman said the plaintiffs also failed to provide proof that the NHL was negligent, either by promoting violence in the game or hiding a growing body of evidence on the long-term effects of concussions on its players.
This plays into the owners hand short term but long term its is corroborating evidence... I read a recent article claiming 19 of 33 ex NHL players have personality disorders (tsn) Its been the position of the NHL that yea drinking , lack of sleep ,lifestyle contributes to brain disorders as much as playing hockey ..I tend to believe that .taking ten pills a day is not rational ....no NHL team dictates give them as many pills as they can take .. I believe any league that best marketing tactic is selling "hate" realizes many of us fans ...many players ...are a bit touched in the head ....Does not make people bad , just predisposed to various emotions thoughts or tendencies ....Such conditions make marketing the league or players a hard thing because as we all know there is the idea of hockey knowledge , the idea of being a diehard fan....A resentment Drives new fans off ....Lends itself to personality issues ....

I said short term because anyone who reads the NFL stuff anyone who reads this thread anyone who watches a hockey game realizes Of course there could be some brain injuries .... People think getting hit in the head is the only way to get a concussion is getting hit in the head ....NO getting hit , getting knocked down has an equal concussion danger ...just is .... like kidney disease 1 plus 1 equals 2 ( unless misdiagnosed which happens a lot ) unlike kidney disease being misdiagnosed is not a big deal have been concussion misdiagnosed means there is some other injury ....
I put my two cents in ....In terms of solutions ...I am curious hoe they league and players come together to address the issue if they do if the finger pointing stops .....
We can say someone should of done something or said something when a guy is taking handfuls of pills ...Plenty of blame ( the doc pleaded guilty ) who wants to say anything when we as fans the league the players are so intent on revenge or finger pointing rather than solutions ..... Human nature with a touch of personality

PuckProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 02:57 PM
Del McPreston

vCash: 50

Del McPreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 02:17 PM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote