HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

In the never ending saga of concussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-31-2011, 02:08 AM
  #201
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 57,032
vCash: 500
(If I find the story again, I'll post the link...)

Recent story about Shanahan's methodology as the new discipline czar mentioned that stiffer suspensions seem to be the direction he's been given. Also, there will be a video showing/describing the incident and the rationale for suspension/length, etc.


Edit: Found it
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...plinarian.html

Quote:
Not only does Shanahan plan to introduce some new elements to the job—he told Yahoo Sports recently that a video will be released following each discipline hearing to explain the decision—it will be done in a different way than his predecessor.
Shanahan will continue to be based out of New York, rather than Toronto, and is expected to dole out harsher penalties. Bettman made it clear that was one of the primary motivations for the change when it was announced in June.


Last edited by LadyStanley: 08-31-2011 at 02:51 AM.
LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:56 AM
  #202
Tinalera
Registered User
 
Tinalera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Known Universe
Posts: 6,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
(If I find the story again, I'll post the link...)

Recent story about Shanahan's methodology as the new discipline czar mentioned that stiffer suspensions seem to be the direction he's been given. Also, there will be a video showing/describing the incident and the rationale for suspension/length, etc.


Edit: Found it
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...plinarian.html
From the little I've gleaned reading people's reactions, it's not so much about "harsher" as it's consistency-the whole idea of making it standard IE: "Okay, blindside hit, automatic 5 games" instead of "Okay, blindside hit, has the person done this in the past, what was the intent, ect ect" so that you had 3 people getting three widely different suspensions, one might get 1 game, one might 6 games, the other might 3 games(and yes I am familiar with Bob Mac's essay on the subject)-I think just consistency in the rules is what people what to see-if you're going to give 5 games for a blindside, it's 5 games for everyone, regardless of history, intent, personality, "starpower" ect ect.


EDIT: I use 5 just as an example, people can what ever number in it's place.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:27 AM
  #203
Kebekoi
Registered User
 
Kebekoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Matane, QC
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
From the little I've gleaned reading people's reactions, it's not so much about "harsher" as it's consistency-the whole idea of making it standard IE: "Okay, blindside hit, automatic 5 games" instead of "Okay, blindside hit, has the person done this in the past, what was the intent, ect ect" so that you had 3 people getting three widely different suspensions, one might get 1 game, one might 6 games, the other might 3 games(and yes I am familiar with Bob Mac's essay on the subject)-I think just consistency in the rules is what people what to see-if you're going to give 5 games for a blindside, it's 5 games for everyone, regardless of history, intent, personality, "starpower" ect ect.


EDIT: I use 5 just as an example, people can what ever number in it's place.
You could add : "If it's a teammate of my son"

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 03:02 PM
  #204
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 57,032
vCash: 500
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp11510

Bruins announce they're planning on Savard out for season (still experiencing symptoms) and he may be done for career.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 03:52 PM
  #205
Tinalera
Registered User
 
Tinalera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Known Universe
Posts: 6,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp11510

Bruins announce they're planning on Savard out for season (still experiencing symptoms) and he may be done for career.
I just wonder, is Savard having trouble making the first decision? I was expecting him to announce it this summer-unless Savard just isn't QUITE yet ready to firmly decide it.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 04:11 PM
  #206
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 57,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
I just wonder, is Savard having trouble making the first decision? I was expecting him to announce it this summer-unless Savard just isn't QUITE yet ready to firmly decide it.
All things being equal, with $21m still left on the contract, I can see a Rathje-like "retirement" (where the guy is on the LTIR, but has no plans to play again).

If you retire "now", you forego the balance on the contract.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 04:39 PM
  #207
Tinalera
Registered User
 
Tinalera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Known Universe
Posts: 6,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
All things being equal, with $21m still left on the contract, I can see a Rathje-like "retirement" (where the guy is on the LTIR, but has no plans to play again).

If you retire "now", you forego the balance on the contract.
That's right, that's a lot of money to be left on the table....

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 03:21 AM
  #208
saffronleaf
Registered User
 
saffronleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country:
Posts: 3,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebekoi View Post


The psyche thing is a bit like the Zednik incident. He was never the same player after recovering from this.

PS: Boston
Oh my god. That gives me shudders everytime I watch it. It's a clothesline, an elbow, it's targetting the head - there's so many things wrong with that.

Three game suspension? Come on, that should be considered as bad as what McSorely did to Brashier, or what Bertuzzi did to Moore. There is no length of suspension that would be appropriate; a hit like that deserves an expulsion. Permanent. GTFO of my league with that ****.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 11:43 AM
  #209
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 57,032
vCash: 500
XMHomeIce NHL Home Ice
NHL Head Disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan joined Mike Ross & Mick Kern to talk about his new role going into the... fb.me/M83vVoOs

So, a bit more on Shanahan and his expanded role.



And regarding Belak, I've seen a few reports that his death was a suicide. So, that's one accidental OD, two suicides this summer? Guessing there will be more call to ramp up the mental (depression) side of the NHL/NHLPA player assistance program.

Recalling earlier this year when former Sharks prospect Tom Cavanagh, who never shared his mental agonies outside his family, committed suicide. It's one thing to have a program, it's a whole 'nother to change the (macho) culture of hockey and society's stigma so that guys are comfortable/willing to talk about it, much less get/accept help to overcome it.


Edit: TSN's McKenzie editorial.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=374920

Quote:
NHL and NHLPA executives did talk today in the wake of Belak's death. NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said the league is "concerned" and "troubled" by the third NHL death in the last four months. The league is expected to take a hard look at what more can be done to make sure players who need help know it's available to them and how to get it.


Last edited by LadyStanley: 09-01-2011 at 11:50 AM.
LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 01:25 PM
  #210
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
So, that's one accidental OD, two suicides this summer?
And Probert wasn't exactly a long time ago, either.

It's very sad.

  Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 02:00 PM
  #211
Tinalera
Registered User
 
Tinalera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Known Universe
Posts: 6,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
XMHomeIce NHL Home Ice
NHL Head Disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan joined Mike Ross & Mick Kern to talk about his new role going into the... fb.me/M83vVoOs

So, a bit more on Shanahan and his expanded role.



And regarding Belak, I've seen a few reports that his death was a suicide. So, that's one accidental OD, two suicides this summer? Guessing there will be more call to ramp up the mental (depression) side of the NHL/NHLPA player assistance program.

Recalling earlier this year when former Sharks prospect Tom Cavanagh, who never shared his mental agonies outside his family, committed suicide. It's one thing to have a program, it's a whole 'nother to change the (macho) culture of hockey and society's stigma so that guys are comfortable/willing to talk about it, much less get/accept help to overcome it.


Edit: TSN's McKenzie editorial.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=374920
The mention of the "macho" type stuff, it seems like hockey is going to be nearing a deciding point soon if events keep unfolding-it's something to observe when things like mental wellness side of things, and also incorporating things like concussions and hitting in hockey(and I"m not trying to derail the thread, merely making an observation) the whole physical nature-be it hitting, be it fighting, be it the "tough it out" mentality and the possible stigma of a hockey player saying "my head isn't right, I don't feel right/depressed ect"-they all seem to be coming to the same point, and how much will these things change the game-and those who play it? I just wonder is part of it too the fact the media has so much viewing, and is 24/7-if there were players 25 years ago, if they've had the same issues-were they quiet because of lack of media? (I really don't know, how many former hockey players have gone through same, but without the media scrutiny were kind of passed by?) There are no easy answers.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 02:48 PM
  #212
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,399
vCash: 500
You may not like Savard or Crosby, but the fact is that when the NHL starts to lose players of that skill to head injuries, then the game of hockey just became less because they are not in it. Imagine if Gretzky had missed most of his career because he got concussed.

What's the solution? Well nothing is 100%, but the NHL could a couple take steps to "help" reduce the likelyhood of concussions. JMO....

1 -first and foremost they have to mandate soft shoulder pads and elbow pads back in the game. Sorry, but when the manufacturers claim that todays' bullet proof body armor is required to make the players ( including kids ) safer, they are full of it. Go back 20-30 years when everyone was wearing cloth protection, there were no more people getting specifically hurt because of that equipment then, than now. And there was just as much body contact. The cloth equipment was designed to protect "you" from injury, where todays equipment is designed ( not intentionally, but thats the result ) to inflict injury.

2 - Make sure the helmets are worn properly and award a minor penalty if not. So many players have the chin strap so loose they might as well not have it.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:15 PM
  #213
saffronleaf
Registered User
 
saffronleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country:
Posts: 3,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
You may not like Savard or Crosby, but the fact is that when the NHL starts to lose players of that skill to head injuries, then the game of hockey just became less because they are not in it. Imagine if Gretzky had missed most of his career because he got concussed.

What's the solution? Well nothing is 100%, but the NHL could a couple take steps to "help" reduce the likelyhood of concussions. JMO....

1 -first and foremost they have to mandate soft shoulder pads and elbow pads back in the game. Sorry, but when the manufacturers claim that todays' bullet proof body armor is required to make the players ( including kids ) safer, they are full of it. Go back 20-30 years when everyone was wearing cloth protection, there were no more people getting specifically hurt because of that equipment then, than now. And there was just as much body contact. The cloth equipment was designed to protect "you" from injury, where todays equipment is designed ( not intentionally, but thats the result ) to inflict injury.
Completely agree with you on that.

1. Softer and smaller padding.

2. No touch icing.

3. Grandfather in visors.

4. Better diagnosis system for concussions. The quiet room thing is a first step, but I think it should be taken further. If there are concerns that a concussion, however mild, may have occurred, the player should not play the remainder of the game. If a concussion is diagnosed, then like in other sports (such as UFC), there should be a minimum amount of days where you cannot play hockey (perhaps 30 days or so).

5. Lengthier suspensions, heavier fines; fines targeted to players AND management. I think with Shanahan at the helm we can see some improvement in this area. Hopefully it won't be the completely random "ask the 8-ball" kind of justice that Colin Campbell was using.

I think everyone would agree that these five changes would be beneficial for the league and its players.



Now for two things that probably will not happen but I think should be considered or at least discussed:

6. Removing the lateral / blindside wording from Rule 48 is a step in the right direction. Perhaps, like every other hockey league, even incidental (i.e. not targeted) hits to the head should be punishable. Perhaps... I don't know. It's a tough call to make IMO.

7. Giving heavier penalties for fighting. Instead of a 5-minute major, it should be a 10-minute game misconduct. If the fight occurs with less than 10 minutes remaining in the game, then the game misconduct is carried over to the next game (so the player is essentially suspended for the next game). That might be more of an optimal sweet spot wherein fights can still occur to some extent, but where the number of fights would be reduced because of the heavier consequences. If two players want to fight, they'll think twice and make sure that it is some sort of pivotal point in the game and that it will really make a difference of some kind / send a message. It won't be those... let's fight 2 minutes into the game for no real purpose... kind of thing.


I have my own biases of course. I love those open-ice Scott Stevens kind of hits that have been legal - where there is no particular head hunting or lateral/blindside kind of thing going on. But if it comes to it, then I'm willing to accept that Rule 48 may have to be expanded to include incidental hits to the head. On the other hand, while I am entertained by fights to some extent, I think it is a pretty pointless part of the game. I would not miss it nearly as much as the open-ice Scott Stevens kind of hits.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:36 PM
  #214
Tinalera
Registered User
 
Tinalera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Known Universe
Posts: 6,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
Completely agree with you on that.

1. Softer and smaller padding.

2. No touch icing.

3. Grandfather in visors.

4. Better diagnosis system for concussions. The quiet room thing is a first step, but I think it should be taken further. If there are concerns that a concussion, however mild, may have occurred, the player should not play the remainder of the game. If a concussion is diagnosed, then like in other sports (such as UFC), there should be a minimum amount of days where you cannot play hockey (perhaps 30 days or so).

5. Lengthier suspensions, heavier fines; fines targeted to players AND management. I think with Shanahan at the helm we can see some improvement in this area. Hopefully it won't be the completely random "ask the 8-ball" kind of justice that Colin Campbell was using.

I think everyone would agree that these five changes would be beneficial for the league and its players.



Now for two things that probably will not happen but I think should be considered or at least discussed:

6. Removing the lateral / blindside wording from Rule 48 is a step in the right direction. Perhaps, like every other hockey league, even incidental (i.e. not targeted) hits to the head should be punishable. Perhaps... I don't know. It's a tough call to make IMO.

7. Giving heavier penalties for fighting. Instead of a 5-minute major, it should be a 10-minute game misconduct. If the fight occurs with less than 10 minutes remaining in the game, then the game misconduct is carried over to the next game (so the player is essentially suspended for the next game). That might be more of an optimal sweet spot wherein fights can still occur to some extent, but where the number of fights would be reduced because of the heavier consequences. If two players want to fight, they'll think twice and make sure that it is some sort of pivotal point in the game and that it will really make a difference of some kind / send a message. It won't be those... let's fight 2 minutes into the game for no real purpose... kind of thing.


I have my own biases of course. I love those open-ice Scott Stevens kind of hits that have been legal - where there is no particular head hunting or lateral/blindside kind of thing going on. But if it comes to it, then I'm willing to accept that Rule 48 may have to be expanded to include incidental hits to the head. On the other hand, while I am entertained by fights to some extent, I think it is a pretty pointless part of the game. I would not miss it nearly as much as the open-ice Scott Stevens kind of hits.
You make some solid points and I think there should definitely be thoughts in these directions to explore what can be done.

There is always going to be the segment of fans that would suggest that to implement these would eventually to hitting be taken out of the game. And I'm not saying one side or the other, but I think if some of these steps are taken, and they are taken in a very firm way-then hitting will be removed from the game. How would this affect fan bases-how many fans would head out to NHL games to watch essentially non-contact hockey-or maybe that's the way it will evolve eventually anyway. I know fans on both sides of the fence-I know ones that already think the NHL is being "wussified" and a couple do feel that in 15-20 years NHL may become a low/non hitting league with fighting abolished, and they hate that idea. I also have others who are quite okay with "pond hockey" type games where there's no hitting and think fighting is really something that should be gone the way of helmetless and maskless goalies.

How the NHL takes both these sides in consideration, as well as the safety of the players will certainly be something to keep an eye on.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:52 PM
  #215
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
7. Giving heavier penalties for fighting.
If we're going to be serious about head shots, fighting has to be much more seriously punished. Dropy your gloves, and you're gone for the rest of that game and auto suspension for the next.

If for some goofy reason the ref doesn't call a fighting penalty during the game, then ref gets suspended, and the disciplinary folks hand down the player suspension "after hours".

  Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 12:22 AM
  #216
saffronleaf
Registered User
 
saffronleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country:
Posts: 3,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
You make some solid points and I think there should definitely be thoughts in these directions to explore what can be done.

There is always going to be the segment of fans that would suggest that to implement these would eventually to hitting be taken out of the game. And I'm not saying one side or the other, but I think if some of these steps are taken, and they are taken in a very firm way-then hitting will be removed from the game. How would this affect fan bases-how many fans would head out to NHL games to watch essentially non-contact hockey-or maybe that's the way it will evolve eventually anyway. I know fans on both sides of the fence-I know ones that already think the NHL is being "wussified" and a couple do feel that in 15-20 years NHL may become a low/non hitting league with fighting abolished, and they hate that idea. I also have others who are quite okay with "pond hockey" type games where there's no hitting and think fighting is really something that should be gone the way of helmetless and maskless goalies.

How the NHL takes both these sides in consideration, as well as the safety of the players will certainly be something to keep an eye on.

You're right... it's a tricky balance because hockey is naturally a contact sport. But I wonder exactly which one of the things I mentioned make you feel as though it would remove hitting from the league entirely.

The only one that I think would cut down on hitting is if, like every other hockey league in the world, Rule 48 is expanded to include incidental contact to the head. That would be controversial and I don't know if I'd advocate for it right away.

But as it is, Rule 48 covers quite a bit regarding hits to the head. You can still check using your shoulder or hip and against other players' bodies - which is essentially what the art of checking entails. The current form of Rule 48, if my interpretation is correct, also allows for clean open-ice checks (think Scott Stevens) that do not intentionally target the head.

Things like modifying padding, no touch icing, concussion diagnostics, heavier suspensions & fines etc. do not really take away from the checking portion of the game.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 12:42 AM
  #217
saffronleaf
Registered User
 
saffronleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country:
Posts: 3,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
If we're going to be serious about head shots, fighting has to be much more seriously punished. Dropy your gloves, and you're gone for the rest of that game and auto suspension for the next.

If for some goofy reason the ref doesn't call a fighting penalty during the game, then ref gets suspended, and the disciplinary folks hand down the player suspension "after hours".
I agree with you... but I think more realistically the league should incrementally increase penalties for fighting over a certain period of time. Perhaps starting with what I had in mind, with the 10-minute game misconduct and what not.

I'm only saying this because the league will undoubtedly face resistance from certain purists and traditionalists. So doing what you are saying, while I'm in agreement, would be very difficult in reality.

To me it's similar to grandfathering in visors as opposed to mandating them immediately. I think players should wear visors, but I also think that mandating it for all players right away will be difficult and there will be stiff resistance from the NHLPA.


Of course, the league could just dig their heels in and take a stand - but again, if the NHLPA does the same, we could end up with possibly nothing being done at all.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 01:01 AM
  #218
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 57,032
vCash: 500
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...l.html?cmp=rss

Researchers announce they are studying the brain of Boogaard (but cannot release their findings without family's permission).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:08 PM
  #219
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 57,032
vCash: 500
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...medium=twitter

Lambert: maybe NHL owners aren't serious about concussion?

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 10:36 AM
  #220
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 57,032
vCash: 500
ESPN_Burnside Scott Burnside
Sidney Crosby to make first public comments since concussion Wed. in Pittsburgh. Will then fly to New York for national media event there.


So, we'll finally have a chance to hear from Sid directly.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 11:27 AM
  #221
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 57,032
vCash: 500
http://www.xmhomeice.com/onair_audio...%20Proteau.mp3

(Audio) Adam Proteau talks about fighting in the NHL and the impact of concussions. "We'll just set up a committee to investigate".

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 03:38 PM
  #222
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 57,032
vCash: 500
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=375308
Crobsy news conference (highlights).


I haven't found a link, but heard part of it on Sirius/XM NHL Home Ice. Crosby indicated that removing headshots from the game should not change the game and should result in fewer concussions.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 02:47 AM
  #223
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Only saw a little replay of the Crosby thing this evening. Maybe it's just me, he still doesn't look right, seems to have that nevr-focusing look going on.

Hope the guy is ok, or gets ok soon.

  Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:34 AM
  #224
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Casablanca
Country: Morocco
Posts: 23,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Maybe it's just me, he still doesn't look right, seems to have that never-focusing look going on..
I think he's done Buddy. After what now, 9 months?. He's not even capable of Level 1 on the circuit?. Its over. Time to accept the inevitable. The big question is Why?. Why Crosby, Lindros et al?... Whats goin on?.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 11:09 AM
  #225
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 57,032
vCash: 500
Re: Crosby - doctors are hopeful of full recovery. There's just no time table. (Paraphrasing doc: I have no earthly way of knowing if he'll be ready for start of season.)



http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2011/09...t-concussions/

Keith Primeau teams up to create "stopconcussions.com" foundation.

Quote:
Multiple concussions ended the NHL career of former Detroit Red Wings centre Keith Primeau, and now he’s determined to do what he can to ensure others in sports at all levels don’t suffer the same fate that’s befallen him. Primeau and Kerry Goulet have combined to form stopconcussions.com. Launched in May, the goal of the organization is to raise awareness of concussions and the effects the injury has on its victims.
Primeau feels the timing for such action is long overdue within the sporting community. “With the . . . announcement of (Pittsburgh Penguins centre) Sidney Crosby and his personal situation with concussions, Marc Savard’s possible retirement, and with the current debate over fighting in the NHL, and the recent loss of three of the league’s young and dynamic individuals (Derek Boogaard, Wade Belak, Rick Rypien) we should focus now more than ever on developing a concrete plan to prevent and manage concussions,” Primeau said in a statement.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.