HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds @ Canes - Preseason Game #3 - 9/24/2010

Old
09-25-2010, 03:01 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
Holy ****, Harrison is the worst ****ing player in the NHL
I would actually stand by this in an argument. I don't think any other team is carrying a dman worse than Harrison in their top 7. It's almost comical.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 06:58 AM
Boom Boom Anton

My $0.02 from last nights game. I tried watching the game away from the puck with some of these kids.

Based solely on this game (not other games or rest of training camp), Skinner and O'Sullivan stood out by far compared to the other young guys. For the people lamenting about POS not playing with "quality" linemates, it really doesn't matter in pre-season. He performed well last night, got put in a lot of situations (played point on a power play, down low on a power play, killed penalties, etc...). I personally think the organization wants to see how he'll perform with 3rd liners because they aren't willing to just "hand" him a 1st line role (like many on here want) to start the season, they are going to make him earn anything he gets. Interesting that Maurice in the post game said he thought POS had a bad game in Nashville, but good game tonight and that it's easy talking to him about it after a bad game because "he gets it, knows it isn't only about scoring goals".

Skinner is fun to watch. Very creative and tenacious. His line created some excellent chances. He sure knows how to get into the right position away from the puck. Seems awkward / off balance but still maintains control of the puck and can fire shots. If the rest of his camp / pre-season is like tonight, I think he'll at a minimum get 9 games. He still tries to do a little too much when the proper play is to dump it in, but that is like most of the young guys in pre-season, trying to make an impression.

Bowman looked decent. I never paid much attention to the guy in the past, but he is very defensively responsible. Covering back for pinching defensemen regularly, good in the back check, positionally sound. Very good away from the puck. For a guy that has been a scorer in Jr. Hockey, he really gets the defensive game. Maurice also commented on this in his post game and said they really want him to not worry so much about the defensive end and start being more aggressive offensively. He played the body pretty well and had some good hits. I can see why he doesn't always stand out to people if you don't watch his play away from the puck.

Nash was not noticeable. He wasn't bad..just consistently meh.

Boychuk. He does not look confident out there, like he's gripping it too much or thinking too much, almost tentative. Very inconsistent. Would make a really nice move/play behind the net then follow that up with a bad play. On the play he got rocked, he got himself in position for a nice breakout and just plain flubbed the pass. As he spun around trying to recover, he got his bell rung. He looks nervous out there to me. Again, based solely on this game, I'd say he either needs to be in the AHL or at best on the 4th line (yes..I know many of you will say that's a waste of his talent, but so far, that's all he's shown).

Pogge. He looked real good. His only issues comes when he played the puck for the most part. The first one, he made a big gaff but was very quick to recover. The 2nd one was just because he and his DMEN aren't used to playing together so that kind of stuff happens in pre-season. But..there were a couple of times where he just threw it up the boards when there was nobody there but the Preds. Not a big deal, as it is good to see him playing the puck and IMO, it's easier to coach toning that down vs. getting a goalie to play the puck.

The rest of the young guys really weren't that noticeable. Sanguinetti did ok, but also didn't stand out but none of the defensemen really did (but I guess that's ok for a defensemen). I also thought Harrison was ok. No worse than any of the other defensemen. Those commenting on +/- of him and Babchuk is ridiculous. The first goal was a simple miss-communication between the goalie and D who aren't used to playing together. The 2nd goal, IIRC, the defense did a pretty decent job, but there was no forward there to pick up the 3rd man in (Tootoo) and he came right up the middle. I wouldn't fault the defensemens for that.

I will say that the preds knew what type of team they were facing and had an extremely aggressive fore-check. Once Rodney went out, the D got really tired by the constant fore-check and with the inexperienced forwards, it was tough to get a breakout. Babchuk and Gleason were the only two that seemed to be able to slow it down a little and get some semblance of a controlled breakout.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Joe McGrath

So how many people other than O'Sullivan have scored so far (not into an empty net)?

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 07:59 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
So how many people other than O'Sullivan have scored so far (not into an empty net)?
Babchuk and Samsonov.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 08:05 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Axel View Post
I don't know if you're being serious or not. But why? He plays one bad PRESEASON game and everybody jumps on him. He's only 20 years old.
Not being serious about the trade, but he sure needs to go to Charlotte... He just should stand out against some of the guys he's playing with and against... I also think he's older than 20 now isn't it he? could be wrong on that... I've seen him play now numerous times like all of you, honest question. If they took the names off of all the jersey's in all the games you've seen with him on the ice, is there more than one game where you would have noticed his quality play? I don't think so... His name is making people look for glimpses of a top pick because it would make us all feel better if he was about to break through... I hope he does, but I'm seeing more from Bowman than Boychuck

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post
The 2nd goal, IIRC, the defense did a pretty decent job, but there was no forward there to pick up the 3rd man in (Tootoo) and he came right up the middle. I wouldn't fault the defensemens for that.
You do not recall correctly... On the second goal, two Preds come down the right side of the ice, lead guy to the far right with the puck... Harrison at this point must take away the pass or the shot, preferably the pass... what does he do, stays directly in between the two and just freezes and BOOM, high quality shot and score... He did the ONLY thing he couldn't do there... It was horrible

Old
09-25-2010, 09:26 AM
caniac247

I loved Luke's description on the Babchuk/Harrison pairing:

Quote:
Both of Nashville's goals in 2-1 Carolina loss against dangerously immobile Anton Babchuk-Jay Harrison defensive pairing, later dismantled

Tonight is another more vet squad heading to Atlanta. About 30 players getting cut Sunday. Coaches have a busy weekend.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 09:32 AM
impeach estaalo

I wonder if Luke could describe what, exactly, Babchuk had to do with either goals? I wonder if it would be fair to point out that Brandon Sutter was on the ice for both goals and trash him for it? Actually, it's probably more fair considering a forward got caught on the second goal and it possibly could have been Sutter.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
You do not recall correctly... On the second goal, two Preds come down the right side of the ice, lead guy to the far right with the puck... Harrison at this point must take away the pass or the shot, preferably the pass... what does he do, stays directly in between the two and just freezes and BOOM, high quality shot and score... He did the ONLY thing he couldn't do there... It was horrible
That's not how I saw it and it happened right in front of me (but admittedly I had a couple beers and I didn't see a replay). I thought Tootoo was the 3rd guy coming in on that play (and was higher in the zone) against 2 defensemen. In that scenario, it is almost impossible for a defensemen to take away that pass. Even the recap on CH.com says exactly what I saw:

Quote:
Within five minutes of the Legwand goal, Jordin Tootoo scored the go-ahead goal as the last man in a three-on-two against the Hurricanes’ defensive pair of Anton Babchuk and Jay Harrison. Nashville’s Matt Halischuk carried the puck up the right side and was looking for a centering feed, but instead dropped it back to Tootoo, whose blast beat Pogge over the left shoulder.
I'll have to see if I can see a video of it again and if I am wrong, then I am wrong, but I . If you you find one, please post it.

To be clear, I don't like Harrison and don't think he deserves a spot on this team, but in last nights game..he wasn't any worse than most of the other defensemen out there..and I just don't see how any defensman should be faulted for a 3 on 2 which the player drops it high to the 3rd player in. Other than Gleason and Babchuk, the young guys (Carson, Rodney, Sanguinetti) seemed to behave like the puck was a hot potato under the Preds forecheck.

Old
09-25-2010, 10:00 AM
CrossCheck

Any news about Jerome Samson? Thought he had a chance to making your club this year but I haven't heard anything about him since... last year!

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 10:07 AM
bb99

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanton View Post
I wonder if Luke could describe what, exactly, Babchuk had to do with either goals? I wonder if it would be fair to point out that Brandon Sutter was on the ice for both goals and trash him for it? Actually, it's probably more fair considering a forward got caught on the second goal and it possibly could have been Sutter.
If you could watch Babchuk play from somewhere besides behind his nutsack, you'd see how terrible he is.

bb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 10:13 AM
blow jOBAMA*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
For sure.
In three preseason games thus far, he's had a hand in 3 of the 5 goals.
The empty netter by Cole doesn't really count
So he's really had a hand in 3 of the 4 goals.
I hope Mo starts giving him some real linemates.

blow jOBAMA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 10:31 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
Any news about Jerome Samson? Thought he had a chance to making your club this year but I haven't heard anything about him since... last year!
Last game he played was the first pre-season game against Florida IIRC. He looked pretty decent in that one and was part of one of our two lines that actually looked relatively effective.

Still, I'm thinking management has essentially given that spot to Skinner to lose and Skinner didn't exactly disappoint last night.

and for the love of god, send Harrison to the AHL and make sure that Babchuk is playing with someone that can skate well enough to cover his ass (Joni or Corvo)

Last edited by DaveG: 09-25-2010 at 10:37 AM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 10:42 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
I loved Luke's description on the Babchuk/Harrison pairing:
Media guys are not without their own biases. Luke openly doesn't like Babchuk.... while, for example, Canes columnist David Droschak thinks he is Norris worthy.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:45 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
About 30 players getting cut Sunday. Coaches have a busy weekend.
I thought they only invited 45 to camp?

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 12:03 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT:
No...it is you who does not recall correctly. Either that, or that is the worst analysis of a hockey play I've ever read. It is horrible.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
No...it is you who does not recall correctly. Either that, or that is the worst analysis of a hockey play I've ever read. It is horrible.
whatever, I am recalling correctly, he chose not to eliminate the shot or the pass... I was specifically watching him every minute he was on the ice, the indecision was very obvious on that play

Old
09-25-2010, 01:00 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb99 View Post
If you could watch Babchuk play from somewhere besides behind his nutsack, you'd see how terrible he is.
I LOL'ed

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:19 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
I thought they only invited 45 to camp?
Haha, what I meant to say, they'll be down to a 30 man roster by Sunday

In my defense it was still early when I wrote that.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Funny how Babchuk gets blamed even when he clearly wasn't at fault. I mean, come on. The bias goes both ways.

The only difference is, pro-Babs people recognize when he screwed up (the Florida game) and when he rightly deserves blame. Meanwhile, he's getting blamed for a situation that literally involved 3 players: Pogge, Harrison and Erat.

Do those blaming him for that even watch that goal, or did they just check the boxscore, see the minus, and immediately jump down his throat?

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
whatever, I am recalling correctly, he chose not to eliminate the shot or the pass... I was specifically watching him every minute he was on the ice, the indecision was very obvious on that play
We'll agree to disagree then. I was in section 127 and saw the play develop right in front of me and my recollection is the same as I quoted from CH.com (and apparently the same as geehaads). The player was trying to pass to the middle which wasn't open so dropped it back to the 3rd man in Tootoo who blasted a shot.

I'm not trying to say that Harrison played it great or that he didn't have a moment of indecision, just don't see how you can fault a defenseman for the pass that is dropped back like that....but whatever, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no big deal.

IMO, the real fault on that play lies with the forwards. Getting 3 guys in deep allowing the 3 on 2 and not getting back to pick up the 3rd man is the problem.

Old
09-25-2010, 02:32 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Funny how Babchuk gets blamed even when he clearly wasn't at fault. I mean, come on. The bias goes both ways.

The only difference is, pro-Babs people recognize when he screwed up (the Florida game) and when he rightly deserves blame. Meanwhile, he's getting blamed for a situation that literally involved 3 players: Pogge, Harrison and Erat.

Do those blaming him for that even watch that goal, or did they just check the boxscore, see the minus, and immediately jump down his throat?
I don't care either way. I know that goal wasn't his fault at all. I just find it funny how much love a d-man like Babchuk gets. If we signed Freddie Modin he would be a fan favorite because he can blast a 100 MPH slapshot even though he is mediocre or sucks at everything else.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
I don't care either way. I know that goal wasn't his fault at all. I just find it funny how much love a d-man like Babchuk gets. If we signed Freddie Modin he would be a fan favorite because he can blast a 100 MPH slapshot even though he is mediocre or sucks at everything else.
I can't speak for other Babchuk fans, but it's more than just his shot for me (though, obviously, that's something to take note of). Personally, I'm a fan of his because I believe there's talent there, but due to situations surrounding him off the ice (some of which were partially his fault), that talent is overlooked and instead his faults are emphasized, because people want to dislike him because of the off-ice situations.

Despite the claims otherwise, there's obviously bad blood between Babchuk and JR and I doubt he'll ever develop into the defenseman he could be if he stays here. So the best hope, in my eyes, is that he starts the season great, so JR can (hopefully) get a good package for him at the trade deadline.

Though if the last time JR "tried" to trade Babchuk is any indication, I'm not holding my breath.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 04:05 PM
impeach estaalo

I find it highly amusing to see people bringing up Babchuk's +/- in a single game while at the same time ignoring his +/- for the last three professional SEASONS he's played. Gee, I wonder which is a more appropriate sample size...

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 05:07 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
I LOL'ed
+1.

I giggled.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote