HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Break out the pink ink (Chicago Ice Hogs @ Detroit Red Wings 9/24) (Exhibition)

Old
09-24-2010, 07:55 PM
pass the bisk

vCash: 500
lol that was a goal. being in the crease doesn't matter if you dont touch the goalie. crawford was the one making contact....just my two cents.

pass the bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 07:56 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffle View Post
I hate to quote myself, but I am finding this game extremely annoying. How the heck are these potential roster players supposed to be evaluated while playing a puck possession game when they never have the puck? They need to play 60-70% roster guys and fill in the rest with guys that are being seriously evaluated to see how well they integrate with the team. Propect and training camps are for weeding out the scrubs, preseason should be for letting the top prospects show their stuff with NHL caliber players. This is supposed to be a team game right? Ugh.
Piffle, I agree. Even worse is that three of the four roster players that are dressed are playing on a line together.

Maybe they're having a hard time making up their minds on the next round of cuts.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 07:58 PM
massivegoonery

Where is Shawn Lalonde?

Old
09-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Piffle, I agree. Even worse is that three of the four roster players that are dressed are playing on a line together.

Maybe they're having a hard time making up their minds on the next round of cuts.
How many do they have now and how many to cut?

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:01 PM
BlackHawkeye*

They said they have to be down to 30 by tomorrow. It's obvious they want to have the big guys playing at home games to bring in the crowds.

BlackHawkeye* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Hawksfan12*

I would try these out tmmrw

Morin-Toews/Pirri-Hossa
Stalberg-Sharp-Kane
Mak-Bolland-Skille
Bickell-Dowell-Smith

Keith-Seabs
Hammer-Leddy
Boynton-Lalonde

Turco
Crawford

Old
09-24-2010, 08:05 PM
massivegoonery

I hope both Morin and Mak play tomorrow.

Old
09-24-2010, 08:07 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawkeye View Post
They said they have to be down to 30 by tomorrow. It's obvious they want to have the big guys playing at home games to bring in the crowds.
My Guess is these are still around

Locks to be around/Should

Toews
Kane
Hossa
Sharp
Bolland
Kopecky
Brouwer
Bickell
Dowell
Mak
Morin
Skille
Stalberg
Pisani
Poltuny
Pirri

Keith
Seabs
Hammer
Soup
Hendry
Scott
Boynton
Leddy
Lalonde
Connelly

Turco
Crawford
Toivenen
Richards

Old
09-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Hawksfan12*

^^Beach instead of Potulny

Old
09-24-2010, 08:18 PM
massivegoonery

Good practice, kids. Now its time for the easiest part of any coach's job. The cuts. Although I wasn't able to cut everyone I wanted to, I have cut a lot of you.

Old
09-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Teemu

Can't feel bad about that loss. IMO, Morin's made the team.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:25 PM
nik jr

i was mostly watching DRW players, mostly prospects, but i thought morin was really good, and i do not say that b/c he scored.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Rahsan*
****ING RIGHT!!!!

Morin can play with the big boys.

Who is Ben Smith? He looks like he could be a great 4th liner.

Pirri and Leddy have talent but need time to develop.

Beach was unimpressive.

Connelly is good.

Rahsan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:43 PM
WarriorofTime

My prediction of who will still be around tomorrow:

Forwards (17):
Kane
Toews
Hossa
Sharp
Bolland
Brouwer
Kopecky
Skille
Stalberg
Bickell
Dowell
Pisani
Makarov
Beach
Potulny
Morin
Pirri

Defense (10):
Keith
Seabrook
Campbell
Hjalmarsson
Boynton
Hendry
Scott
Vishnevskiy
Connelly
Leddy

Goalies (3):
Turco
Crawford
Toivennen

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Gardebut30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahsan View Post
Morin can play with the big boys.

Who is Ben Smith? He looks like he could be a great 4th liner.

Pirri and Leddy have talent but need time to develop.

Beach was unimpressive.

Connelly is good.
Agreed with everything here. Morin was excellent and Pirri was very good too but some AHL time will be very beneficial for him. He needs to get stronger.

Smith opened my eyes, and I can see him as a bottom six forward with some offensive skills.

Beach is horrible. Completely invisible. I haven't been able to watch many games of his, but he's never impressed me.

Gardebut30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Biolink

Morin is definitely a beast.

I didn't get to see Beach much out in the open ice, but his hustle looked better.

Biolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Rahsan*
****ING RIGHT!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardebut30 View Post
Agreed with everything here. Morin was excellent and Pirri was very good too but some AHL time will be very beneficial for him. He needs to get stronger.

Smith opened my eyes, and I can see him as a bottom six forward with some offensive skills.

Beach is horrible. Completely invisible. I haven't been able to watch many games of his, but he's never impressed me.
What I like most about Morin and Pirri is they both have pretty good hands along with high hockey IQ. Same goes for Makarov.

I love Smith's hustle. He reminded me of Benny Eager out there

Rahsan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:03 PM
EbonyRaptor

I'm happy with these first two exhibition games. I thought the game tonight had a little more flow to it and it allowed the players to play a little more than against TB.

Obviously Morin was the story. That hit he put on Ericksson, who is a pretty big boy, really answered one of the big questions for me - can he play physical enough at 19 years of age to play in the NHL? It looks like he has that ability, and that along with his obvious hockey IQ and offensive game makes a pretty strong case for sticking with the Hawks. The only part of his game that is still unanswered is if he backchecks and is defensively aware enough to play now or if some time in Rockford to work on that aspect would be better.

I thought Leddy and Connelly played better tonight than against TB, but that might be more because Detroit plays more finesse and doesn't check and grind as much as other teams which allows the smaller/weaker d-men to play to their strength.

Beach looked OK in banging along the boards and competing but never looked like he could get untracked. He didn't have much space to do anything, but atleast he didn't do anything stupid. That boarding call was bogus, it was more like he was a victim of circumstance than an intentional boarding.

I know Vishnevskiy finished -2 and some other posters didn't think he played very well. But I thought he made some nice plays with his stick and he showed that he is a nice skater that has some nice upside. I wouldn't give up on him yet.

Players that played well with virtually no shot to make the team this year:

Pirri (needs to get bigger than 160lbs)

Smith (probably not top-6 material and there are too many other bottom-6 guys in front of him)

Finally, Crawford played OK. The first goal against reminded me of Niemi's penchant for big fat bank shot rebounds. But all in all - not bad.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:43 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
Can't feel bad about that loss. IMO, Morin's made the team.
I agree

I think we have a player guys

Teemu, what is your pick for opening night roster

Any other Hawks fans can tip in aswell

Old
09-24-2010, 09:52 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardebut30 View Post

Smith appeared to have great instincts around the net and was always in the right position. Only problem is he looked like the 08-09 version of Troy Brouwer that whiffed on everything he saw. Granted it was only a pre-season games with scrubs, but he'll have to find ways to finish if he ever wants to make this team (at any point in the future).

As far as Beach is concerned, he definately didn't stand out but he wasn't horrible either. Kind of looks like Kopecky did last year as far as trying to hard to prove himself instead of staying within his own game. Some guys seem to develop this knack early, while others take time. One thing he definately isn't afraid to do is fight for the puck along the boards. If he figures the rest out and starts playing more naturally I could see him being a beast in the dump and chase/puck possession game (in addition to the other talents he possesses).

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:59 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
i was mostly watching DRW players, mostly prospects, but i thought morin was really good, and i do not say that b/c he scored.
He was definately impressive. This is an instance where the stat sheet really portrays pretty accurately who were the playres on the ice tonight. As someone said Morin is making his case for a roster spot (I don't think he'll get it right away but may earn himself an early season call-up if it continues).

I didnt' get a chance to watch the first game, but saw several comments lamenting on Hendry's play. Well, I can't imagine that he could have play any more horrific as he did tonight as he was easily the worst player out there for the Hawks. TOs behind the net, in the neutral zone...he was a skating nightmare out there. After playing pretty well in his initial stint last year (before Q inexplicably quit playing him at that time), he has been wretched every time he's played since. Unless he turns it around big time, he's playing himself out of a roster spot.

I imagine that we'll see the same type of lineups we saw tonight, only flipped. The Hawks will have their A team while the Wangs will likely play their "B" team. Excited to see how Makarov, Skille, and Stalberg look as I havent' had the chance to see them play yet this year.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Vishnevskiy got sunk playing with a terrible D-mate tonight

All in all Morin continues to impress but overall most of the rest of guys playing tonight were AHL bound

Beach reminded me of Troy Brouwer looking invisible most of game ,, I expected better

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Cullksinikers

If we carry 23:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan12 View Post
I agree

I think we have a player guys

Teemu, what is your pick for opening night roster

Any other Hawks fans can tip in aswell
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Troy Brouwer ($1.025m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Viktor Stalberg ($0.850m) / Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Tomas Kopecky ($1.200m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Jack Skille ($0.600m)
Bryan Bickell ($0.541m) / Jeremy Morin ($0.977m) / Fernando Pisani ($0.500m)
Jake Dowell ($0.525m) / Igor Makarov ($0.552m)

DEFENSEMEN
Brent Seabrook ($3.500m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Brian Campbell ($7.142m) / Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m)
Jordan Hendry ($0.600m) / Nick Boynton ($0.500m)
John Scott ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS
Marty Turco ($1.300m) /Corey Crawford ($0.800m)

CARRY-OVER BONUS PENALTY: $4,157,753

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,473,257; BONUSES: $277,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $204,243

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Tokked13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
I'm happy with these first two exhibition games. I thought the game tonight had a little more flow to it and it allowed the players to play a little more than against TB.

Obviously Morin was the story. That hit he put on Ericksson, who is a pretty big boy, really answered one of the big questions for me - can he play physical enough at 19 years of age to play in the NHL? It looks like he has that ability, and that along with his obvious hockey IQ and offensive game makes a pretty strong case for sticking with the Hawks. The only part of his game that is still unanswered is if he backchecks and is defensively aware enough to play now or if some time in Rockford to work on that aspect would be better.

I thought Leddy and Connelly played better tonight than against TB, but that might be more because Detroit plays more finesse and doesn't check and grind as much as other teams which allows the smaller/weaker d-men to play to their strength.

Beach looked OK in banging along the boards and competing but never looked like he could get untracked. He didn't have much space to do anything, but atleast he didn't do anything stupid. That boarding call was bogus, it was more like he was a victim of circumstance than an intentional boarding.

I know Vishnevskiy finished -2 and some other posters didn't think he played very well. But I thought he made some nice plays with his stick and he showed that he is a nice skater that has some nice upside. I wouldn't give up on him yet.

Players that played well with virtually no shot to make the team this year:

Pirri (needs to get bigger than 160lbs)

Smith (probably not top-6 material and there are too many other bottom-6 guys in front of him)

Finally, Crawford played OK. The first goal against reminded me of Niemi's penchant for big fat bank shot rebounds. But all in all - not bad.
I have to say I thought Crawford played great tonight. Yeah he reminded of Niemi at the start of the season last year but the d-core he had around him tonight was not even comparable. Vishnevskiy & Beach are just way to over hyped for their own good. I would love to see Pirri and Morin inserted into the full lineup in the preseason just to see how they can play with other players that have some skill. It was a joy to watch those 2 out on the ice tonight.

Tokked13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Morin-Toews-Kane
Makarov-Sharp-Hossa
Brouwer-Bolland-Pisani
Bickell-Potulny-Kopecky
Skille as extra

Keith-Seabrook
Campbell-Hjalmarsson
Hendry-Boynton
Scott as extra

Turco
Crawford

Connelly 1st call up from Rockford in event of injury to one of our dman

I think Dowell might have lost his roster spot with his terrible camp + preseason so far

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote