The WHL Regular Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2010, 06:05 PM
HAXSAW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
No I'm going out for supper for my GF's bday. And if I was going to listen, I would listen to my partner in crime Les Lazaruk on 92.9 The Bull....(I am the Blades colour guy )
Ahhh, forsure i guess u would eh!

Old
10-13-2010, 06:08 PM
HAXSAW

I'm hopin to meet u guys in the playoffs this year and make a better series out of it, last years was pathetic!

Old
10-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Wow only 12? Way to easy punishment.
Yep, David Branch cried himself to sleep that night.

Old
10-19-2010, 10:22 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Kootney Ice. Talk about a darkhorse!

Great depth with two solid goalers that could play 1 if ever asked too.

Old
10-20-2010, 01:29 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1500
blades looked bad last night, ending there 6 game winning streak.

@DubFromAbove
@Avs_Tweets
Old
10-21-2010, 11:52 AM
travellingman345

The Hitmen were absolutely embarrased last nigh 8 to 1 vs Spokane.

I think it's time to look at a proven scorer and perhaps a new goalie. What they currently have is not working so far this season.

Old
10-24-2010, 01:46 PM
bretzky29ca*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Kootney Ice. Talk about a darkhorse!

Great depth with two solid goalers that could play 1 if ever asked too.
This. In my preseason prognostications, I figured the Ice would meet Portland in the final, and I'm sticking by this prediction.

Old
10-27-2010, 01:12 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I predict it's going to be,

Portland/Tri-City against Saskatoon

With the US team winning it.

Old
10-27-2010, 12:56 PM
RetiredHockeyDad

In the East, the Ice and Blades are looking good right now. The Ice have been the top regular season team for the last 10 years but have failed to "pull the trigger" on a big trade that takes them deep into the playoffs. Nobody has had a worse playoff record than the Blades. Look for a dark horse to come through and win the East this year. My guess is the Tigers.

In the West, the Americans and the Hawks look like their on a collision course for the West final. I'll take the Hawks

Old
10-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Hipfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellingman345 View Post
The Hitmen were absolutely embarrased last nigh 8 to 1 vs Spokane.

I think it's time to look at a proven scorer and perhaps a new goalie. What they currently have is not working so far this season.
That's what happens when you go with a young team though. Most of the guys were beyond shell-shocked by the roadtrip and the few veterans who are there just weren't motivating enough. Honestly, I would say maybe 1 Hitmen player played up to snuff that night?

You won't see them doing any trades though as I'll bet that unless there's a major personality clash that Kelly Kisio will give this team time to gel. Rebuilding is a *****, but it shows that Calgary had an AMAZING 90 class but a sub-par 91 and 92 one (especially when you take out Madaisky and Schaber out of the equation!) If these 93 defencemen (Kosterman, Rissling, Roach, Schmidt) and the 94's develop right, Calgary will be back to being a powerhouse in 2 years.

Old
10-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Round John

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHockeyDad View Post
In the East, the Ice and Blades are looking good right now. The Ice have been the top regular season team for the last 10 years but have failed to "pull the trigger" on a big trade that takes them deep into the playoffs. Nobody has had a worse playoff record than the Blades. Look for a dark horse to come through and win the East this year. My guess is the Tigers.

In the West, the Americans and the Hawks look like their on a collision course for the West final. I'll take the Hawks
Kootenay is a veteran team, this is their time. Fraser, King, Martin, McNabb, Lieuwen. The Ice are deep.

Saskatoon is a young team lots of 16 and 17 year olds. The defense and goaltending are more veteran, but with their forwards I'd expect some growing pains yet this season.

Don't like the look of the Tigers yet. Lots of firepower up front, good goaltending, defense is soft.

Red Deer should be challenging for the top of the central, but the Rebels are still so young. Next year should be scary good.

Swift Current can run and gun, but they're soft. If they can pick up some size and strength on defense they could be a good dark horse.

Out west Portland could be getting Niederreiter back. Adding him to what they already have would make the Winterhawks the favourite to win the league.

Vancouver scores a lot, but they also have been giving up a lot of goals too, very un-Don Hay like.

Tri-City looks solid at forward and in net, but they remind me of Medicine Hat, not real sure about their defense.

As to a dark horse in the west. That's a tough one. I'd go with Everett. There's work to do in Washington, but they have some pretty good pieces.

Old
10-28-2010, 02:15 PM
strife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round John View Post
Kootenay is a veteran team, this is their time. Fraser, King, Martin, McNabb, Lieuwen. The Ice are deep.

Saskatoon is a young team lots of 16 and 17 year olds. The defense and goaltending are more veteran, but with their forwards I'd expect some growing pains yet this season.

Don't like the look of the Tigers yet. Lots of firepower up front, good goaltending, defense is soft.

Red Deer should be challenging for the top of the central, but the Rebels are still so young. Next year should be scary good.

Swift Current can run and gun, but they're soft. If they can pick up some size and strength on defense they could be a good dark horse.

Out west Portland could be getting Niederreiter back. Adding him to what they already have would make the Winterhawks the favourite to win the league.

Vancouver scores a lot, but they also have been giving up a lot of goals too, very un-Don Hay like.

Tri-City looks solid at forward and in net, but they remind me of Medicine Hat, not real sure about their defense.

As to a dark horse in the west. That's a tough one. I'd go with Everett. There's work to do in Washington, but they have some pretty good pieces.

they just did

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=338986

greetings from the islanders board

Old
10-28-2010, 02:20 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Portland just got a whole lot better.

Old
10-28-2010, 03:10 PM
The Saw Is the Law

Winterhawks looks amazing... Rattie, Bartschi, Ross, Johansen, Niederreiter.

I expect Memorial Cup

Old
10-28-2010, 04:55 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Portland has the offense to win, but I would still expect them to add a defenseman and some goaltending depth in order to win it all.

Old
10-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Andy Dufresne

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Portland has the offense to win, but I would still expect them to add a defenseman and some goaltending depth in order to win it all.
I'd say they're one 2cnd line center and a quality vet. defenceman away from world domination! Depending on the goaltending of course.

Seriously it's hard to criticize that offence but that's still a pretty big gap in talent in the top 6:
Ross- Johansen- Nino
Bartschi- Burns???- Rattie

Burns is a 18 yr old rookie- and he might be okay but he's nowhere near the other 5. It's gonna be interesting to see if they make a move to upgrade that spot, or if they consider it no big deal with that much talent on the wings.

Old
10-29-2010, 01:01 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

This might sound odd, but do you guys think Portland could get one of the goalers from Tri-City? Or are both of them locks on TC?

Old
10-30-2010, 12:12 AM
travellingman345

S.O.S. I am not jumping ship, but the Hitmen ship is sinking badly. I normally don't post like this but I need to vent a bit.

I bleed Hitmen colors , but this season has been utterly embarrasing. They seem to find ways of losing. Blowing leads, or just getting the crap kicked out of them. 7 to 2 loss to Chilliwack tonight. That just hurts.

They need a different goalie. Snider and Holly let in really soft goals. They don't even give their team a chance to win.

The 20 year olds, Fiddler, Foucault and Fisenko are invisible. How are the young guys supposed to get inspired when their leaders do nothin?. Not that I don't respect him, but when Beach is your top player - something is really wrong with the team. What has happened to Bubnick. He had a couple strong games but is now do nothing as well.

Unless, Williamson can put a spark into the team or unless Kisio makes some big deals. The Hitmen are doomed this season.

So many questions and problems with this team. I am hoping for some sort of turn around.

Old
10-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Hipfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellingman345 View Post
S.O.S. I am not jumping ship, but the Hitmen ship is sinking badly. I normally don't post like this but I need to vent a bit.

I bleed Hitmen colors , but this season has been utterly embarrasing. They seem to find ways of losing. Blowing leads, or just getting the crap kicked out of them. 7 to 2 loss to Chilliwack tonight. That just hurts.

They need a different goalie. Snider and Holly let in really soft goals. They don't even give their team a chance to win.

The 20 year olds, Fiddler, Foucault and Fisenko are invisible. How are the young guys supposed to get inspired when their leaders do nothin?. Not that I don't respect him, but when Beach is your top player - something is really wrong with the team. What has happened to Bubnick. He had a couple strong games but is now do nothing as well.

Unless, Williamson can put a spark into the team or unless Kisio makes some big deals. The Hitmen are doomed this season.

So many questions and problems with this team. I am hoping for some sort of turn around.
Vent away....I'd expect a move or two to shake up the chemistry in the dressing room, but Calgary GM Kelly Kisio won't trade away future talent in exchange for this year. Calgary fans have to accept that not only is this team under-achieving now, but even if they right the ship to play .500 hockey they're still in possible shape to miss the playoffs this season.

To agree with you, it's hard to watch a team when they play so poorly. At this pace, they just might get shut out in the Annual Teddy Bear Toss team!

Old
11-01-2010, 10:50 AM
RetiredHockeyDad

Ideally, every WHL team should go through the cycle. Draft some talent - develop the talent - when you feel you have a real contender, trade some draft picks/prospects for some proven talent - enjoy 2 maybe 3 years at the top - slide to the bottom and start the cycle over again.
Calgary had a great run the last couple of years but have paid the price with lower draft picks, trades for proven talent. Kelowna and Spokane are going through the same thing this year. They are paying for years at the top. Teams like Portland and Red Deer, that have paid there dues at the bottom, are on their way up.
Vancouver seems to be an exception - they seem to stay near the top. Prince George is another exception, they have had a long ride near the bottom and maybe this year are on their way up.
Have faith TMan, Calgary has a great organization and scouting staff, they will only suffer at the bottom briefly and soon they will be contenders again

Old
11-04-2010, 06:13 PM
HullToSelanne

This is quickly becoming a lost season for my Brandon Wheaties.... time to start watching the OHL and my Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds!

Old
11-04-2010, 06:33 PM
KevinBXA
Professional Caveman

interesting move by the Bruins picking up gogol, hope they can win this years weak BC Division!

Old
11-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Rshields

Wheaties

I don't think it's time to write the Wheaties off yet. They have some great rookies that are looking like they will be stars in the near future.
Are you guys from Manitoba as surprized as I am to see the outstanding play of Ryan Pulock . He just turned 16 last week and is playing full time plus PP and PK! Unheard of for a defencman where all mistakes can get you in big trouble.
They are are hard working team that never quits. Whats to complain?
With a late oct. birthday when will Pulock be draftable?

Old
11-05-2010, 10:02 AM
RetiredHockeyDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshields View Post
I don't think it's time to write the Wheaties off yet. They have some great rookies that are looking like they will be stars in the near future.
Are you guys from Manitoba as surprized as I am to see the outstanding play of Ryan Pulock . He just turned 16 last week and is playing full time plus PP and PK! Unheard of for a defencman where all mistakes can get you in big trouble.

Old
11-09-2010, 02:32 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshields View Post
It's definitely too early to write the Wheats off, but starting 5-0 and then losing like 7 straight does hurt their chances. At the beginning I thought they could be a team that could seriously challenge the US division for the championship and another Memorial Cup run. Now I list them with the Hitmen who are a few years away from being powerhouses once more.

Closed Thread