HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Waiver period begins Saturday(9/25)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-25-2010, 12:49 PM
  #101
FanHabtic
Registered User
 
FanHabtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,733
vCash: 500
Looking at the Rangers depth chart Redden would've still been a #4 or #5 guy. He's ahead of Eminger and Gilroy and arguably a more reliable dman than Del Zotto.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 12:50 PM
  #102
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post

EDIT: Re you're an employer being unable to fire someone because they hired them; in some jurisdictions (for example, Quebec), you cannot fire an employee without just cause. This is also common in unionized environments, due to the ability of the employee to file a grievance and go to arbitration. The Huet and Redden situations are unlikely to rise to the level of just cause; since the real problem with both of them is the money they make as opposed to the work they do. However, no such provision exists in the CBA (to my knowledge), so it's a bit of a moot point. I just wanted to point out your analogy has problems.
Huet isn't doing his job, which is to play like he is getting paid. Sure, in the real world you might not be able to fire him, but you could sure as hell cut his salary down. Unfortunately you can't do that in the NHL so the only option is to 'fire' them

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 12:53 PM
  #103
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gio14 View Post
Stinks for Redden
meh i'd take 6.5 million a yr for the next 4 to live and play in CT

next on the Ranger list is White and Eminger in my books. Thats 10 million to the minors, holy crapo eh

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 12:56 PM
  #104
airlouche
Registered User
 
airlouche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 769
vCash: 500
'meh i'd take 6.5 million a yr for the next 4 to live and play in CT

next on the Ranger list is White and Eminger in my books. Thats 10 million to the minors, holy crapo eh'



It's a good thing they dont have a cap hit in the AHL.

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 12:59 PM
  #105
yay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 911
vCash: 500
Rather than bump an old thread or create yet another saying the exact same thing..

Nylander also on waivers.

yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:06 PM
  #106
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing View Post
Most employees don't sign contracts and if they did sign one they wouldn't get fired either.
Redden is not getting fired. He still collects his massive pay check whether he is playing in the AHL or the NHL.

If Redden wants to continue playing in the NHL he should walk away from this contract and sign one that is more in line with his capabilities.

The Redden sympathy is BS. He is making more in a year than the average person makes in several lifetimes. If he loves to play hockey, he can still do that in the AHL.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:08 PM
  #107
MrBoxOffice
Registered User
 
MrBoxOffice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kingston/Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
All waiver team thread anyone?

MrBoxOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:14 PM
  #108
tomobson
Registered User
 
tomobson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 259
vCash: 500
I don't think rangers fan really care where he plays, as long as it's not new york.

tomobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:14 PM
  #109
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Laich Anthem;
You completely missed his point. At the time that contract was a terrible one to give out and I said that to my Blackhawks friend at the time.

Dumping contracts in the AHL and elsewhere is just a way of circumventing the cap. Personally, I don't mind because the Canucks are a rich team and it benefits them, but from a 'fairness' standpoint, I don't think it should be allowed.
The mechanism to do this exists and was on purpose. The salary cap isn't intended to punish teams for the simple fact of a player's abilities changing over time. It's not circumvention if the mechanism was put in place intentionally, unlike the unintentional loophole revealed by contracts like Kovalchuk's.

Because some teams can do this and other teams can't due to budget issues is not unfair. The owners are allowed to spend money any way they want off of the NHL roster. This is no different than the fact that the Rangers have better off-site facilities than the Predators do.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:17 PM
  #110
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey
 
mouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Mountain
Posts: 12,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airlouche View Post
Mmmmmm, maybe lcarnegie is not so wrong. There should be at least a maximum amount of money a team could bury in the minor or other leagues.
Technically there's something of a limit for how much money a team can "bury" in the minors since there's an off-season cap teams still have to be compliant with.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:17 PM
  #111
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic;
Huet isn't doing his job, which is to play like he is getting paid. Sure, in the real world you might not be able to fire him, but you could sure as hell cut his salary down. Unfortunately you can't do that in the NHL so the only option is to 'fire' them
Actually, in the real world you can't fire or reduce any person's salary if they have a guaranteed contract. Similar things do exist outside of sports. In education, it's called tenure.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:20 PM
  #112
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust
 
cupcrazyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs38 View Post
Hopefully Jeff Finger goes
i think it's a foregone conclusion.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:47 PM
  #113
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcrazyman View Post
i think it's a foregone conclusion.
Lashoff and Lebda are a little banged up so it may happen later

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:53 PM
  #114
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Rolston has limited skating ability (yeah sometimes he can be fast... but only in straight lines. Not much agility.) He got that contract for being a good center in Minny and posting 30+ goals per year. (Obviously having Gaborik as his linemate helped).

But then the problem came where Rolston did not live up to expectations at all. His injury didn't help. It really set him back. Now he's getting 15-20 goals without set linemates on a STACKED team. Besides the need to get rid of him for cap purposes.... the Devils also don't need him. at all. The potential top three lines are Parise-Zajac-Kovalchuk, Elias-Arnott-Langenbrunner, Zubrus-Josefson-Clarkson.

You DON'T put a 5 mil player on the fourth line. There's no place for him.

I'm starting to think someone will take him on the waiver wire for half the price... 2.5 comes of the books for the Devils... Salvador is then traded or waived... and BOOM. Cap problem solved. For this year and next.
I can't even begin to state what is wrong with this post.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:10 PM
  #115
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,099
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
You do realize that Redden most certainly deserves a spot on the Rangers, but his salary alone is what brought him to being waived. The same would be the case for Rolston if he didn't have a NMC.
He does not deserve a spot on the team. McDonagh and Sauer have already played better than him in camp and pre-season.

You do realize that Redden was most certainly outplayed, right?

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:16 PM
  #116
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,693
vCash: 500
Camp and pre-season mean jack.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:17 PM
  #117
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,099
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Camp and pre-season mean jack.
How? That's how players make a team. If you're outplayed there, than you get waived. What's your point (other than being wrong)?

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:22 PM
  #118
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
How? That's how players make a team. If you're outplayed there, than you get waived. What's your point (other than being wrong)?
In many cases, for example, the Wild, we let the youngsters have more time. They are hungry and they want to play. So they look better than the veterans. Case in point guys like Scandy and Cuma, both of whom were late, late camp cuts. Sure we could stick them on the roster because they clearly outplayed our veterans but the thing is, they look good now. What about 5 months down the road? What happens if they hit a little bump?

Camp is a good way to determine where your rookies stand and where your young players stand. It's not always a good bearing for how veterans stand. Especially older veterans. They might take a bit longer to get back into the groove of things or just take it slow because for all intents and purposes most of them have a roster spot that isn't going to go anywhere.

Training camp is also where young, unsigned players try to make their mark due to the fact they want a contract.

I never take training camp or pre-season games seriously in ANY sports.

The other thing is, a lot of times rookies are given more time to shine and more time to prove themselves in camp and in preseason because the coaches want to know what they have. They don't give it to the veterans because well they are veterans and they pretty much know what they have in their veterans.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:23 PM
  #119
Robert Theodorson
Registered User
 
Robert Theodorson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,347
vCash: 500
I expect Rolston to be a healthy scratch on the opening day roster, until he earns 1/4th his salary he should be given the Nylander treatment.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:26 PM
  #120
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,099
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
In many cases, for example, the Wild, we let the youngsters have more time. They are hungry and they want to play. So they look better than the veterans. Case in point guys like Scandy and Cuma, both of whom were late, late camp cuts. Sure we could stick them on the roster because they clearly outplayed our veterans but the thing is, they look good now. What about 5 months down the road? What happens if they hit a little bump?

Camp is a good way to determine where your rookies stand and where your young players stand. It's not always a good bearing for how veterans stand. Especially older veterans. They might take a bit longer to get back into the groove of things or just take it slow because for all intents and purposes most of them have a roster spot that isn't going to go anywhere.

Training camp is also where young, unsigned players try to make their mark due to the fact they want a contract.

I never take training camp or pre-season games seriously in ANY sports.

The other thing is, a lot of times rookies are given more time to shine and more time to prove themselves in camp and in preseason because the coaches want to know what they have. They don't give it to the veterans because well they are veterans and they pretty much know what they have in their veterans.
To say it's meaningless is just ridiculous any way you spin it.

In Redden's case, he was already informed that he would be waived if he did not get his play up. If he came in and "[took] a bit longer to get back into the groove of things or just take it slow because for all intents and purposes most of them have a roster spot that isn't going to go anywhere" than he would be waived. He knew this coming into camp. He was specifically told this.

You'd think he'd be on top of his came and blowing away everyone, right? Wrong. He had a half decent camp but was outplayed by younger players even though he had the entire offseason to dwell on the fact that this was likely his last shot to be on the team. He, essentially, was on a try-out contract since he knew the cap situation.

So, yes. This pre-season and camp meant an absolute mountain for Wade Redden and he fell off the cliff. Normally I don't put much stock into what players do, but for a veteran like Redden who knew the stakes? It absolutely meant something. It cost him his job.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:48 PM
  #121
SML
Registered User
 
SML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
Why is that post so funny to you? No reasonable explanation? How about a contract? I'm all for the team being able to send the player down to the minors but the cap hit should still apply imo. If management gives out ridiculous contracts, they should not get off the hook. If this is the case, get rid of the salary cap and go back to the way it was.
The salary cap is a flawed logic. I understand why it exists, I understand you're always going to have the teams that spend to the limit and those that live by their own financial restrictions. But the bottom line is that the NHL is an entertainment enterprise. Nobody wins by having teams suffer from mistakes they made personnel wise. It affects the overall product being put out on the ice. Eventually, I think you will see the cap go by the wayside, or a window that allows teams to get out from under these mistakes. Nobody is going to be mistake free, and some are worse than others. But There's only so many times that a wealthy business man who owns an NHL team is going to bite the bullet and pay some jerk prime time money for sub par play and send him to the minors before they decide ther's better ways to make money.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:13 PM
  #122
caley
Moderator
 
caley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,884
vCash: 500
Jeremy Reich, Wyatt Smith and Nathan McIver placed on waivers by Boston according to TSN's transactions page.

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:14 PM
  #123
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:
 
blokeyhighlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,078
vCash: 500
The start of waiver period...



Dad = GM
Kids = Players

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:29 PM
  #124
caley
Moderator
 
caley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,884
vCash: 500
Florida placed Clay Wilson on waivers with the purpose of assigning him to the AHL.

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:47 PM
  #125
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,644
vCash: 50
Minnesota waived Jamie Fraser.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.