HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Cuts Thread

Old
10-04-2010, 10:09 PM
sweatypickle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
So I assume final cuts are tom?
assuming Parse goes to IR we don't need any cuts...

sweatypickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
assuming Parse goes to IR we don't need any cuts...
Can't see the Kings keeping Loktionov around for the 4th line though.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:21 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I like Clune....but what did he do in the pre-season, 1 fight?

Clifford had 3 fights and 1 beautiful goal. Kyle did more in his time out there....I just don't understand why they don't Clune as the spare forward...
If DL/TM plan on keeping Clifford and Schenn (which they do), then one of Lewis/Clune had to be put on waivers. Of course they'd rather risk losing Clune instead of Lewis.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:23 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I'm not surprised to see Clune go.

He's an agitator who's not good at agitating.

He's a "tough guy" that's only 5ft 10in.

He's a grinder that can't grind; a poor checker.

In fact, he's not particularly good at anything. A player of his skill level doesn't belong in the NHL.
I don't know, I thought he agitated pretty well last night by hitting Getzlaf during a stoppage, drawing a penalty on Brookbank in the process.

Clifford went out there and got dirty this pre-season whle Clune did not engage after his first game. When he said he can dial it up more than anyone on the roster, that's true when looking at last year's team. Obviously, Clifford can dial it up even more.

Still, I don't look at this as management wanting to lose Clune. I'm sure they will want him down in Manchester.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:28 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

So its Westgarth or Clifford going to take Clunes spot?

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:29 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Loktionov has been better than Schenn all pre-season in my opinion. Sure, Schenn hits more but Loktionov is much better with his stick and is good at pick-pocketing guys.

Without the Sbisa fight, Schenn is looking to me like a guy who isn't exactly NHL-ready at the moment. Loktionov has been much more dangerous with the puck on his stick and, to me at least, has looked more comfortable.

I know we all have hard-ons for Schenn, but let's not get crazy here. I have a rager for Clifford and think he's been underwhelming outside of his badassness as well.

Loktionov has looked like the more polished and NHL-ready player out of the three. He may get the shaft since he can go to Manchester but he looks better than Schenn right now.

Schenn needs to keep his head up out there because he has been hit pretty hard all pre-season.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:34 PM
KingsCourt

I'm shocked, I thought clune was a shoe in, although glad to see the kids step up...the future is NOW! also really jacked for the season to start and I got Kopi and Drew in my draft pool, oh and I picked up some guy called kovy, didn't want to but sometimes you have think with your head and not your heart. so every point he gets will be bittersweet for me...lol

KingsCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:34 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Can't see the Kings keeping Loktionov around for the 4th line though.
no question but I believe the AHL doesn't start for another week so there's no reason to send him back; I'd think...

Old
10-04-2010, 10:36 PM
johnjm22

I know people are going to think I'm crazy for saying this, but I wish DL would have kept Segal around. He didn't agitate much, but he plays a somewhat physical game, has decent size/speed, and will occasionally drop the gloves. He was also an effective forechecker that could occasionally chip in a goal. He makes a good spare forward. Certainly better than Clune or Lewis right now.

When he got more ice time in Dallas, he started scoring at a 20 goal pace.

Last edited by johnjm22: 10-04-2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: spelling
johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:46 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I know people are going to think I'm crazy for saying this, but I wish DL would have kept Segal around. He didn't agitate much, but he plays a somewhat physical game, has decent size/speed, and will occasionally drop the gloves. He was also and effective forechecker that could occasionally chip in a goal. He makes a good spare forward. Certainly better than Clune or Lewis right now.

When he got more ice time in Dallas, he started scoring at a 20 goal pace.
jew crazy!

Old
10-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Loktionov has been better than Schenn all pre-season in my opinion. Sure, Schenn hits more but Loktionov is much better with his stick and is good at pick-pocketing guys.

Without the Sbisa fight, Schenn is looking to me like a guy who isn't exactly NHL-ready at the moment. Loktionov has been much more dangerous with the puck on his stick and, to me at least, has looked more comfortable.

I know we all have hard-ons for Schenn, but let's not get crazy here. I have a rager for Clifford and think he's been underwhelming outside of his badassness as well.

Loktionov has looked like the more polished and NHL-ready player out of the three. He may get the shaft since he can go to Manchester but he looks better than Schenn right now.

Schenn needs to keep his head up out there because he has been hit pretty hard all pre-season.
Pretty much how I feel as well. Schenn has been outplayed by Loktionov, but is gritty enough to stick around as the 4th line forward. Also, I'm worried that if Clifford stays up now he's going to get stuck in that rut that he will only focus on fighting and not on the offensive side of the game. I think dominating juniors for another season would be great for both of them.

I'd have sent both Schenn and Clifford down.

Smyth-Kopitar-Brown
Loktionov-Stoll-Williams
Ponikarovsky-Handzus-Simmonds
Parse-Richardson-Westgarth/Lewis

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

I'm still not really sold on Loktionov's durability. Yes, his shoulder injury was somewhat of a fluke, but it's not a good sign that a player doesn't make it through one NHL game. His build and finesse style of play requires that he always be aware of the possibility of getting hit and I'm not sure that's something you want a player of his ilk to learn at the NHL level.

Schenn, on the other hand, has shown he can take and give a hit at this level. He's taken a licking and shown no signs of slowing down. He also backchecks and gets himself into the position to draw penalties. I like Loktionov's offensive game better, but for the roster spot available on this team, Schenn seems like the better fit.

Old
10-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Martyros
Allow me to retort

Quote:
I'm still not really sold on Loktionov's durability. Yes, his shoulder injury was somewhat of a fluke, but it's not a good sign that a player doesn't make it through one NHL game. His build and finesse style of play requires that he always be aware of the possibility of getting hit and I'm not sure that's something you want a player of his ilk to learn at the NHL level.

Schenn, on the other hand, has shown he can take and give a hit at this level. He's taken a licking and shown no signs of slowing down. He also backchecks and gets himself into the position to draw penalties. I like Loktionov's offensive game better, but for the roster spot available on this team, Schenn seems like the better fit.
The way i see it is, Loktionov learned from that injury. He learned what it takes to be in the NHL and how strong he needs to be, I believe he came into camp as one of the most fit, no? I wouldn't look into it THAT much. It's his next injury that would interest me....

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Johnny Utah

Not one of these kids can crack the top 9, Lombardi said so and Richardson is replacing Parse...

Loktionov is better suited for that top 9 role, with Schenn's size and weight he can play that 4th line center role. It will be a different story if Parse stinks and they are willing to move Loki to the wing or next summer when Handzus and Poni are UFA's and there are spots available.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
The way i see it is, Loktionov learned from that injury. He learned what it takes to be in the NHL and how strong he needs to be, I believe he came into camp as one of the most fit, no? I wouldn't look into it THAT much. It's his next injury that would interest me....
It's not so much that I think he's injury-prone but that his game doesn't really include hitting. Having every guy in the bottom six able to play physically is as important as having every guy in your top six able to contribute offensively. If he's going to learn to give and take a hit, the AHL is a much safer learning environment.

Old
10-05-2010, 12:05 AM
Lanius

Schenn and Loktionov were pretty even throughout camp. Each had a goal; Schenn had the clear edge in faceoffs; Loktionov more finesse;Schenn more physical tools; Loktionov slightly better with the puck;Schenn better chances to actually score.

Loktionov was noticeable everytime he possessed the puck, more than every other player to be honest. Puck possession player, that's his game, patience with the puck, crisp passes etc. It sticks out like a sore thumb in this organization that has been built with big, gritty two-way players in mind.
There's obvious skill there, wished Murray showcased it more, he's worked hard and elevated all aspects of his game to another level, yet we only saw him playing easy minutes and a ton of powerplay time.

Other factors will be part of the process (waivers, roles, contracts), being an offensive player I can't see how Loktionov is going to create anything playing 4th line, it shouldnt be the spot to compete for. There will be room for him when someone suffers an injury or maybe traded.

Maybe Lewis beats both.

Lanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:16 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:

I agree with everything you said.

Quote:

While you make a valid point about the differences in their games, assuming that Clifford makes the team, thence Loktionov is the most protected player on the team. I doubt that with cliff and westy flanking him, anyone is going to be tskig liberties with Loki. In this case taking liberties would be anything more than Loki can handle. Clean or not, you hit the 20 year old skilled little Guy too hard you will have a fist in your face before you get to the bench. We have already seen that for better or worse, Clifford has no qualms instigating.

All That said I still am not sure who makes the team. I think That the Manchester factors is strong and schenn will get his 9 games.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:30 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Why are people clamoring for young kids with basically no NHL experience to be the #2?
I agree with your question, but the answer is that this is Hockeys FUTURE

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:04 AM
Haik

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I agree with your question, but the answer is that this is Hockeys FUTURE
I still remember the time we had Yanick Lehoux and Jared Aulin as our 'future' 1-2 centers... Just sayin

Haik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:37 AM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haik View Post
I still remember the time we had Yanick Lehoux and Jared Aulin as our 'future' 1-2 centers... Just sayin
We didn't have Lombardi running the show back then

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:21 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haik View Post
Yep. It's amazing how some posters will had a key job to a player who has really proved little if anything. I think Loktionov is a wonderful talent, but those two guys were just as highly touted at one point and collectively I'm not sure either even seen one shift on a 2nd line in the NHL ever. If so, it wasn't a long stint, maybe a few games.

I swear some posters would have the Kings as a perrennial group of 18-24 year olds. There's already a push to trade away JMFJ.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:55 AM
The Judge

Hey guys, is today "Judgement Day" when we'll find out who stays with the team? Thanks.

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:02 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post

I swear some posters would have the Kings as a perrennial group of 18-24 year olds. There's already a push to trade away JMFJ.
If he demands an obscene amount of money, then yea.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:05 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Brown with Kopitar experiment again?

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:12 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Brown with Kopitar experiment again?
A lot of people seem to forget that in Brown's lone 30+ goal season, who was his center? KOPITAR!!!!!

Not to mention, Kopi had his best season (before last year) while playing with Brown.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote