HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Roster Cuts Thread

Old
10-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Haik

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
Parse has better hands. Richie is better in just about every other department, but if you're talking second-line duty, better hands mean a lot. I'm desperately hoping I'm wrong about Parse and he's going to explode for 30+ this season.
He's not going to do it with Jaret Stoll centering him.

Haik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Parse has better hands. Richie is better in just about every other department, but if you're talking second-line duty, better hands mean a lot. I'm desperately hoping I'm wrong about Parse and he's going to explode for 30+ this season.
Parse would need to move higher on the totem pole for PP time. There were a lot of elite goal scorers that barely had 20 goals at even strength. Simmonds doing what he did last year without a sniff of PP time is pretty amazing.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:37 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
i think the idea of Parse having better hands is also debatable.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 02:06 PM
MollerManor

I just don't think Parse is better than Richardson. I feel like we should be discussing where Parse fits on 4th line/healthy scratch duty, not the other way around.

MollerManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0QKtuUbEzc

Parse has better hands.

He also just has those unteachable offensive instincts some players have. They just know where to be on the ice. Richie is a great twoway player, but he just does not have that offensive awareness required to play on a scoring line, IMO. There's a reason Parse 3 less points in 22 less games and with often less opportunity to play.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 03:06 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollerManor View Post
I just don't think Parse is better than Richardson. I feel like we should be discussing where Parse fits on 4th line/healthy scratch duty, not the other way around.
Parse either belongs top six or he doesn't belong in the NHL. He has little to nothing to contribute on the fourth line.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 03:22 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post

Parse has better hands.

He also just has those unteachable offensive instincts some players have. They just know where to be on the ice. Richie is a great twoway player, but he just does not have that offensive awareness required to play on a scoring line, IMO. There's a reason Parse 3 less points in 22 less games and with often less opportunity to play.
This.

Quote:
Parse either belongs top six or he doesn't belong in the NHL. He has little to nothing to contribute on the fourth line.
This.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 05:15 PM
wabwat

Quote:

Parse has better hands.

again, when a player like Richardson comes into the NHL with a wrist shot having been touted as being nearly on par with Joe Sakic's, this whole "better hands" notion becomes debatable.

he was once projected as a potential #2 pivot until he got hurt.

Old
10-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
again, when a player like Richardson comes into the NHL with a wrist shot having been touted as being nearly on par with Joe Sakic's, this whole "better hands" notion becomes debatable.

he was once projected as a potential #2 pivot until he got hurt.
Lots of players have been "touted" and "projected" to do this and that. Has he ever shown that wrist shot? Richie has molded his game nicely into a solid bottom 6er after once being projected as a top 6 and that is where he belongs. A solid 3rd/4th line that can fill in on the top 6 when needed. A solid player that can play all over the lineup makes him very useful, but not neccesarily a player you want in the top 6.

Parse is just a better offensive player. He will and deserves his chance to play in the top 6. Remember tho, top 6 does not not neccessarily make him better, just a better place for him to play. The whole game is not about offense. Parse is better offensively, Richie is better defensively and more versatile. Which is better? Does it matter?

Old
10-08-2010, 07:25 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Lots of players have been "touted" and "projected" to do this and that. Has he ever shown that wrist shot? Richie has molded his game nicely into a solid bottom 6er after once being projected as a top 6 and that is where he belongs. A solid 3rd/4th line that can fill in on the top 6 when needed. A solid player that can play all over the lineup makes him very useful, but not neccesarily a player you want in the top 6.

Parse is just a better offensive player. He will and deserves his chance to play in the top 6. Remember tho, top 6 does not not neccessarily make him better, just a better place for him to play. The whole game is not about offense. Parse is better offensively, Richie is better defensively and more versatile. Which is better? Does it matter?
again... debatable. Parse hasn't proven anything. a number of players both younger and older with "good hands" have come and gone after a handful of highlights. what makes Scott Parse any different?

you better believe it matters. it should matter. the biggest difference between the two players is that Brad Richardson has already realized then re-shaped his game to adjust to the type of player he is in this league. Parse plays has not and as long as he continues to lean solely on his shot, he ain't gonna be around for long.

go look at their AHL numbers AND their pre-Pro numbers... it's far more debatable than you think it is.

Last edited by wabwat: 10-08-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old
10-09-2010, 01:47 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
again... debatable. Parse hasn't proven anything. a number of players both younger and older with "good hands" have come and gone after a handful of highlights. what makes Scott Parse any different?

you better believe it matters. it should matter. the biggest difference between the two players is that Brad Richardson has already realized then re-shaped his game to adjust to the type of player he is in this league. Parse plays has not and as long as he continues to lean solely on his shot, he ain't gonna be around for long.

go look at their AHL numbers AND their pre-Pro numbers... it's far more debatable than you think it is.
As of right now Parse has proven nothing more than he can score from the bottom two lines with "good hands", with questionable defense but no lack of effort, IMO. The fact that Parse has never been handed anything and has literally taken everything he has gotten is what makes him different, IMO. Although he was benched last year I do not think that it was compete level his problem but rather teachable defensive awareness which is why he is being given the chance to showcase himself this year on the 2nd line.

Despite the fact that are the same age right now, I think the difference between Richie and Parse is that, like you said, Richie has established his role whereas Parse is still finding his. And it is, at least IMHO, of a solid versatile twoway player that plays good defense and chips in on the offense every once and while but is still a bottom 6er in the long run. Parse has shown plenty of glimpses of being a legit top 6, but whether he lasts is still up in the air. His role has not fully been defined as of yet. He simply has not had the time like Richie to fully establish his role in the NHL yet.

By the which is better comment I was more reffering to playing styles. Right now, but all appearances(again IMO) it looks to me like we are comparing Cory Stillman(like Parse adds offense from 2nd line but not much else) to Todd Marchant(very good defensively can add some offense and fill in on top lines in emergencies). Both play there roles really well, but which is overall better? Depends on whether your looking for a solid player to complete the lineup or need some offense. I think both can be valuable.

In the end, I think Parse has more than earned his shot and I am hopeful that once he recovers the Kings will give that back to him. I really like his game and think he will be a scoring threat for them every game. He has made a point of proving everyone who doubted him wrong at this point so I won't be betting against him at this point.