HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Roster Cuts Thread

Old
09-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
New York loves Avery . . and now that he has been reunited with his BFF Frolov . . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

I think that you have it bang on JU. We have room on the roster.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
The thing is.. We finally have the options to roll with a solid 4th line, without an enforcer, maybe it's time TM switches things up a little.
I agree 100%, but people will argue to no end how teams can't be successful without a goon.

Totally disregarding the fact that the best team in the NHL over the past 15 years has played without a goon for most of that time.

I think with the salary cap and parity that they are slowly being phased out, maybe in the next 10-15 years they will history.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 05:05 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I have a question for you, who do you think assigns players to bunk together on the road? Do you think that the team assigns players to live together at certain points in their careers?

If your answer is no then you would be completely wrong.
Bottom line: Being a roommate with somebody doesn't just mean you have a spot on the squad. Especially when you suck... like Clune.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 05:07 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Richie-Lewis-Westgarth

Against tough teams...

Clune-Richardson-Westy

Against soft teams...

Clune-Lewis/Schenn-Richardson
All these units are real bend-shows, man. Aside from Richie that is.. Those lines shouldn't even be top units in the AHL..

Old
09-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
New York loves Avery . . and now that he has been reunited with his BFF Frolov . . .
Uhh the fans do, but Tortorella hates him.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Westgarth is going to be playing most of the time, you can assume the 4th line is Westy-???-Richardson....

The real battle is for the center spot between those two and the spare LW/RW spot that can occasionally replace the center if he struggles (Richie can then move there) or sub in for Westy against soft teams.

I still say it's either Schenn/Lewis as the center and Clune as the spare winger.

Richie-Lewis-Westgarth
Richie-Schenn-Westgarth

Against tough teams...

Clune-Richardson-Westy

Against soft teams...

Clune-Lewis/Schenn-Richardson

Then there is also the wild card of injuries or Parse sucking, but I think that is a separate battle between him and Moller and won't effect these guys.

Both Hextall and Lombardi want a tough 4th line that have brought up Eager-Madden-Burrish before...and Terry Murray likes having an enforcer so please stop putting up 4th lines of Richie-Schenn-Lewis or whatever...Not under Philly management and coaching. Thank god.
Murray likes having a heavy AND a pest/lightweight. Westy and Clune/Zeiler are on the team. Guaranteed.

Old
09-25-2010, 05:11 PM
two out of three*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Murray likes having a heavy AND a pest/lightweight. Westy and Clune/Zeiler are on the team. Guaranteed.
Kyle Clifford pretty much knocks both those down at once.. Clifford and Richardson should be on that last unit with hopefully Brayden Schenn, but I suppose I could deal with Trevor "How am I here still?" Lewis..

Old
09-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I agree 100%, but people will argue to no end how teams can't be successful without a goon.

Totally disregarding the fact that the best team in the NHL over the past 15 years has played without a goon for most of that time.

I think with the salary cap and parity that they are slowly being phased out, maybe in the next 10-15 years they will history.
I'm glad you two soft agree, but it ain't happening.

We have a young and soft team especially in the top 4 D and top 9 forwards. We lost OD, Ivanans and Greene for a month. That is a lot of toughness missing.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 05:24 PM
Johnny Utah

“Westgarth has worked very hard in the summer time,” coach Terry Murray said. “You can see it in his test results, off-ice and on-ice. The skating test was phenomenal for him. His overall stride has improved. He’s more relaxed. He has worked hard during his time in Manchester. He spent a lot of time in the offseason going through power skating and giving that the focus that it needs. He’s doing the right stuff, and as a result, he’s here with the big team and I’m looking for him to be on the big team. He’s a heavyweight. He showed that in his game that he played in Colorado, and I believe that we need that kind of a player. He has paid his dues down in the minors, so he’s one of the players who will fill that spot as a fourth-line player.”

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 05:42 PM
two out of three*

Quote:
“Westgarth has worked very hard in the summer time,” coach Terry Murray said. “You can see it in his test results, off-ice and on-ice. The skating test was phenomenal for him. His overall stride has improved. He’s more relaxed. He has worked hard during his time in Manchester. He spent a lot of time in the offseason going through power skating and giving that the focus that it needs. He’s doing the right stuff, and as a result, he’s here with the big team and I’m looking for him to be on the big team. He’s a heavyweight. He showed that in his game that he played in Colorado, and I believe that we need that kind of a player. He has paid his dues down in the minors, so he’s one of the players who will fill that spot as a fourth-line player.”
Well, yeah.. Terry Murray loves benders. However, you do have a quote to post on HF like you're making a good point.. But in reality Kevin Westgarth will only be taking somebodies ice time who actually deserves it.

Old
09-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
All these units are real bend-shows, man. Aside from Richie that is.. Those lines shouldn't even be top units in the AHL..
Anyway, we wouldn't need AHL scores on our 4th line Mr. Scotty Bowman.

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 05:57 PM
riznat

Quote:
You forgot to quote the best part of Hammonds article, from Westgarth:

“It’s just one of those things,” Westgarth said. “You never wish for anybody to get hurt, but it’s part of the job, too. Anything that helps keep our team safe, and kind of scares away anybody who is going to take a run at our guys, it’s definitely helpful. So if they want it, they know they’ve got it.

It will be fun to see what he can do this year. Much higher expectations for him then Ivanans could ever fill.

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 06:06 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
This proves what? Nobody is argueing that Westgarth isn't going to be on the team. People are just saying there's no reason for him to be dressed every night, which there isn't. I think the bottom 5 forwards(4th line + 2 extra) will rotate based on performance/opponants, and Westgarth will be in there rotating. I predict 40-60gp for him.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 07:09 PM
two out of three*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
This proves what? Nobody is argueing that Westgarth isn't going to be on the team. People are just saying there's no reason for him to be dressed every night, which there isn't. I think the bottom 5 forwards(4th line + 2 extra) will rotate based on performance/opponants, and Westgarth will be in there rotating. I predict 40-60gp for him.
I guess I'm just arguing that he probably shouldn't be on the team. A Clifford-Schenn-Richardson line would be beauty. A line that can play the game, can fight, and is still tough.

Come on.. Clifford-Schenn-Richardson vs Richardson-Lewis-Westgarth.. Its a no contest..

Old
09-25-2010, 08:24 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
I guess I'm just arguing that he probably shouldn't be on the team. A Clifford-Schenn-Richardson line would be beauty. A line that can play the game, can fight, and is still tough.

Come on.. Clifford-Schenn-Richardson vs Richardson-Lewis-Westgarth.. Its a no contest..
Clifford can't handle the real heavyweights in the league. Westy has a spot. PERIOD. He won't play in every game nor should he. Clune/Zeiler maybe take the other "pest" spot. There's really nothing to debate.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 08:39 PM
two out of three*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Clifford can't handle the real heavyweights in the league. Westy has a spot. PERIOD. He won't play in every game nor should he. Clune/Zeiler maybe take the other "pest" spot. There's really nothing to debate.
Alright. Then I guess I'll just deal with our fourth line being probably the worst fourth line in the league. Whatever. Hopefully our Top 9 can contribute enough.

Old
09-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1888
Our fourth line is perfectly fine. It's a fourth line! There aren't many fourth lines that are particularly good. Ours will have the purpose of stirring **** up. That's fine. There are some teams who play kids on their fourth line, others who roll a second checking line, and some that run out goons and **** disturbers. The latter of those will be us. Nothing wrong with that.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
To the KW detractors lets just give him a couple of seasons and see what happens.
How did we become Westgarth detractors by being more realistic about his potential goal scoring abilities ?

Look I watched him in camp since a couple years ago when he came into our system, and thought DAMN that kid can skate for a BIG guy and looked more than capable of a regular NHL shift, I just think 5 goals give or take is more realistic is all, but hey IF the guy can net 15 in a year the Beer is on me.

I guess others are saying they don't even see him on the 4th line regularly, but I think he's a much better option than we've typically been exposed to over the recent years. I see Westgarth as being a BETTER version of the best we ever saw of George Parros. Meaning not taking dumb penalties, skating 5-10 min a game and being able to keep up, being a 5g/15pt + guy, and being able to throw down with the best of them in the HW category.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 08:48 PM
two out of three*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Our fourth line is perfectly fine. It's a fourth line! There aren't many fourth lines that are particularly good. Ours will have the purpose of stirring **** up. That's fine. There are some teams who play kids on their fourth line, others who roll a second checking line, and some that run out goons and **** disturbers. The latter of those will be us. Nothing wrong with that.
Alright now here's the problem I have with that.. Its okay I suppose to send out your "goons and disturbers" on the fourth line.. But the Kings aren't even sending out their best fighters or disturbers. And the thing about that is.. The guys that we have who are better at fighting and agitating are ALSO better hockey players.

Clune cant fight. Get real. I've NEVER seen this guy pump anybody. Clifford would RUIN Clune.. Zeiler is a gonger, why is he getting even considered? Westgarth beats the crap out of somebody and it gets hyped up around here like he can TKO Floyd Mayweather.

Another problem with it is.. You're basically giving the ultimate F-You to Brad Richardson. He had a hell of a season.. Now you're giving a Top 6 spot to some guy who hasn't done anything in Scott Parse, and telling him to go play with two gong shows.

Old
09-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Clune cant fight. Get real. I've NEVER seen this guy pump anybody. Clifford would RUIN Clune.. Zeiler is a gonger, why is he getting even considered? Westgarth beats the crap out of somebody and it gets hyped up around here like he can TKO Floyd Mayweather.

He could TKO Floyd, and don't give me the whole, he couldn't catch him crap. If they fought Floyd would get hurt, bad. Westy has brutal power.

Old
09-25-2010, 09:44 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Im sick of seeing it. Richardson does NOT play right wing.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 09:46 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Clune has the upperhand on Zeiler because Zeiler has been mostly feces during his NHL stints. Another reason comes straight from Clune's mouth:

"There isnít anyone who can dial it up to the level I can dial it up"

The kid has so many fights in his young career, sometimes going up against guys 50 pounds heavier than him. Zeiler blows kisses while Clune has Pete Harrold always skating behind him since he's pushing the wheelbarrow that houses Clune's stones. Clune is the epitome of the attitude and edge Lombardi wants on this team while Zeiler is, more often than not, an embarassment.

Zeiler looked good against the Avs drawing penalties because that was the first time Foote has been on the ice with him since Zeiler took a 5-minute boarding major against him two seasons ago. It's great that he drew the penalties but it was preseason and Foote didn't give a **** obviously. Also, the impetus for drawing all of those penalties was Zeiler putting his team down a man for 5 minutes in a regular season game.

I know Zeiler scored but Clune looked good against Phoneix as well. He also showed the biggest difference between himself and Zeiler by looking for a fight against a bigger guy.

Clune has always been the better player as evidenced throughout their careers. Zeiler is a guy on a one-way contract who didn't get a sniff of NHL time last year, and for good reason.
How many penalties did Clune draw last season?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 09:49 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Also, an on depth look at the potential 4th liners. http://lakingsnews.com/2010/09/25/lo...four-business/

I think Moller, Lewis, Clifford, Richardson and wesgarth make up the 4th line and extras.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 09:50 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
I am not a fan of TZ's game on or off the ice.
Who is TZ?

Quote:
Kyle Clifford pretty much knocks both those down at once.. Clifford and Richardson should be on that last unit with hopefully Brayden Schenn, but I suppose I could deal with Trevor "How am I here still?" Lewis..
I like Clifford, but isn't he 19? give the guy at least another year to mature.

Quote:
Alright. Then I guess I'll just deal with our fourth line being probably the worst fourth line in the league. Whatever. Hopefully our Top 9 can contribute enough.
So adding Clifford to the 4th line automatically takes it from "probably the worst fourth line in the league" to one of the best?

Please enlighten me on what, currently, Clifford does better than Westgarth -- keeping 4th line purpose in mind.

Quote:
Another problem with it is.. You're basically giving the ultimate F-You to Brad Richardson. He had a hell of a season.. Now you're giving a Top 6 spot to some guy who hasn't done anything in Scott Parse, and telling him to go play with two gong shows.
I agree with this. Richardson should be considered for top 6 minutes, not the 4th line.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote