HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Cuts Thread

Old
09-26-2010, 11:59 PM
Johnny Utah

vCash: 500
I don't know if any of you guys ever played hockey but intimidation is still a big part and whether you like it or not, other teams don't want to play against Westgarth and it gives guys like Doughty more room. Westy broke Koci's jaw, right there other tough guys now know what he can do. That only helps the Kings.

I've made this analogy before and others who played hockey have agreed. If you walk into a bar with 4 of your friends and another group of 5 bigger guys starts talking smack, you are likely to walk away....but if you walk in with 1 really big guy and 3 normal guys not only are the other dudes less likely to talk smack but now you have back up so you can do your thing and you're not scared of the consequences because you know you have a big guy to get your back. You have space and you feel more confident. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. This has happened to me playing ice, roller and in bars in real life.

Watching 19 year old Clifford get roughed up by bigger heavyweights doesn't help the Kings one bit. He doesn't have the size or reputation to scare anyone off yet. Kings prob need Westgarth against every team except maybe Carolina, Tampa Bay and Detroit. Bottom line.

Did you people not watch the playoffs? O'Brien, Bieska, Burrows and Rypien were talking tons of smack and the first two were running Doughty. Did you also not forget Hordichuk popping our captain Brown a few times. We had no one except OD (who was invisible), Clune, Greene and Simmonds and that wasn't enough to scare of the Canucks.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:25 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
I'm hearing it, its just Clifford is a good hockey player and can fill that enforcer role while at the same time not be a liability i.e. Rich Clune.

HE'S 19 YEARS OLD. Enjoy watching play for L.A. in future years, but this is not his time yet.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:29 AM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I don't know if any of you guys ever played hockey but intimidation is still a big part and whether you like it or not, other teams don't want to play against Westgarth and it gives guys like Doughty more room. Westy broke Koci's jaw, right there other tough guys now know what he can do. That only helps the Kings.

I've made this analogy before and others who played hockey have agreed. If you walk into a bar with 4 of your friends and another group of 5 bigger guys starts talking smack, you are likely to walk away....but if you walk in with 1 really big guy and 3 normal guys not only are the other dudes less likely to talk smack but now you have back up so you can do your thing and you're not scared of the consequences because you know you have a big guy to get your back. You have space and you feel more confident. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. This has happened to me playing ice, roller and in bars in real life.

Watching 19 year old Clifford get roughed up by bigger heavyweights doesn't help the Kings one bit. He doesn't have the size or reputation to scare anyone off yet. Kings prob need Westgarth against every team except maybe Carolina, Tampa Bay and Detroit. Bottom line.

Did you people not watch the playoffs? O'Brien, Bieska, Burrows and Rypien were talking tons of smack and the first two were running Doughty. Did you also not forget Hordichuk popping our captain Brown a few times. We had no one except OD (who was invisible), Clune, Greene and Simmonds and that wasn't enough to scare of the Canucks.
This. Those comments above you prove some hockey fans are still coming out of the woodwork and have a lot to learn about the game besides what they see on tv.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:35 AM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
How or better yet, when, has Clune been a liability?
How or better yet, when, has Clune contributed anything?

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:41 AM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:

Rich Clune got his **** tossed.. Look, man.. In that series I was hoping for Ivanans to get a spot in the line up in game 6 because yeah we were pretty scared.

All I'm saying to you is.. We.. have.. Better options than Clune and Zeiler and whatever other benders you wanna mention. Clifford and Schenn are both pretty tough kids who wont take any ****.. Regardless of their age. They can play and they can play the game better than these other guys.

Clifford would DROP Clune..

Old
09-27-2010, 02:55 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:

clifford has no reason to fight another team heavyweight. how many times did we take advantage of such mismatches the past few seasons with Ivanans as the only enforcer on the ice?

and your VAN example doesnt really prove your point, since that team had overall team toughness that far exceeded ours. the guys you mentioned would not have been deterred by one enforcer. Having one in the lineup wouldnt hurt, but the difference that you're arguing for wouldnt be had either.

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:01 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
This. Those comments above you prove some hockey fans are still coming out of the woodwork and have a lot to learn about the game besides what they see on tv.
we're all just rednecks and oafs, along with the Detroit Red Wings organization

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 08:40 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Wait, you're going to Champion the Zeiler bandwagon based on ONE pre-season game. Zeiler is a human pinball, best known for smashing himself numerous times into the boards, and boarding Adam Foote. Oh yeah, imitating A PUNCHING BAG when a fight comes his way.

Clune has better skills, and a far harder edge. He's tougher all the way around. And while both are pests, my vote (not that I get one that counts) goes to Clune.

P.S. yes Clifford is tougher and badder than Clune, he's young and needs another year of seasoning.
Zeiler did put Carcillo on his head. Cool pic of it but cant remember how to up load it here.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
How or better yet, when, has Clune contributed anything?
His first NHL game, 2 assists. Keep trying though.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 09:22 AM
BigBrown
Now what will we do?

Quote:
And how many did he have in the following 13 regular season games or in the following four playoff games? I'm not trying to say he's useless but I don't think he's really contributing all that much either. He might still be the best option though.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 09:51 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Kyle Clifford can take Poni's role next year or re-sign Poni, play him at the 2nd line LW and make Clifford your 3rd line LW..

There's no room for Cliff this year, we all know it, the LWs are all set, Smyth-Parse(Moller or Lokti)-Poni-Richardson..

The 4th line will be Richardson-Schenn-Lewis with Westgarth & Clune ready to step in against tougher opponents, simple as that

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:41 AM
two out of three*

Quote:
You're right, man. Clune has some sick skill, and can really beat the crap out of guys. I think now since you have shown me the light we should just put him with Kopi. Kopi needs a strong offensively capable power forward on his line, and Clune really fits that bill by doing nothing in the next 13 games after his miraculous first game.

Clune-Kopi-Westgarth
Parse-Armstrong-Giliuano
Purcell-Ellis-Zeiler
Kostopolous-O'Sullivan-Willsie

Old
09-27-2010, 11:45 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Yep, that's what he was saying 2or3.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:48 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Kyle Clifford can take Poni's role next year or re-sign Poni, play him at the 2nd line LW and make Clifford your 3rd line LW..

There's no room for Cliff this year, we all know it, the LWs are all set, Smyth-Parse(Moller or Lokti)-Poni-Richardson..

The 4th line will be Richardson-Schenn-Lewis with Westgarth & Clune ready to step in against tougher opponents, simple as that
Link? Inside sources? or Crystal Ball?

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:10 PM
two out of three*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post

I can dig that as the last unit to be honest. Not a Trevor Lewis fan, but at least you can put that line out there and not spend the whole shift in your own zone.

Old
09-27-2010, 12:14 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
I can dig that as the last unit to be honest. Not a Trevor Lewis fan, but at least you can put that line out there and not spend the whole shift in your own zone.
yup and even if it's Richardson-Schenn-Westgarth with Lewis and Clune as healthy scratches ready to step in whenever, I'll be pleased.

Loktionov and Moller needs to keep building chemistry in the AHL with Kozun or someone else. Lewis is a 4th liner in the NHL (most would agree) he's paid his dues in the AHL.

If Parse is hurt, or if he loses his job, then I'd like to see Moller or Loktionov take that spot, Lokti looked good on the PP against Phoenix

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:46 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Second round of cuts made

http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/09/27/todays-cuts/

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:46 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Tweet from NotHelene moments ago:

Kings send out Moller, Martinez, Campbell, Fransson...

I'm guessing we sent those guys down to the A? (apparently so...see link above me.) LOL

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:49 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

So Hickey pretty much is making the team

Old
09-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Tweet from NotHelene moments ago:

Kings send out Moller, Martinez, Campbell, Fransson...

I'm guessing we sent those guys down to the A? (apparently so...see link above me.) LOL

Does that imply Hickey has made the team?

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:50 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Does that imply Hickey has made the team?
Him and Muzzin are the only non-regulars left I believe. I would give Hickey the edge.

Old
09-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Sounds about right.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Him and Muzzin are the only non-regulars left I believe. I would give Hickey the edge.

Is Muzzin still around? After Fransson clearly out-played him?

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:57 PM
DeeMeck

I am surprised to see Fransson guy. He outplayed Muzzin IMO.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:04 PM
DeeMeck

Marc-Andre Cliche is on waivers

Here is the list Per TSN:

Mike Angelidis (TB), Chris Durno (TB), Mitchell Fritz (TB), Blair Jones (TB), Vladimir Mihalik (TB), Juraj Simek (TB), Paul Szczechura (TB), Trevor Smith (AN), Dane Byers (NYR), Kris Newbury (NYR), Jeremy Williams (NYR), Darryl Boyce (TOR), Joey Crabb (TOR), Ryan Hamilton (TOR), Alex Foster (TOR), Ryan Hollweg (PHX), Alexandre Picard (PHX), Garrett Stafford (PHX), Nolan Yonkman (PHX), Matt Climie (PHX), Al Montoya (PHX), Patrick Davis (NJ), Stephen Gionta (NJ), Olivier Magnan-Grenier (NJ) Bradley Mills (NJ), Tim Sestito (NJ), Chad Wiseman (NJ), Mike McKenna (NJ), Brian Willsie (WSH), Kyle Greentree (WSH), Andreas Thuresson (NSH), Teemu Laakso (NSH), TJ Hensick (STL), Brad Moran (EDM), Gregory Stewart (EDM), Hugh Jessiman (CHI), Tyler Weiman (VAN), Triston Grant (FLA), Gord Baldwin (CGY), William Thomas (FLA), Andre Benoit (OTT), Mike Brodeur (OTT), Cliche, Marc-Andre Cliche (LA), Thomas Jordan Trevelyan (SJ), Jay Leach (SJ), Sean Sullivan (SJ), Jon Disalvatore (MIN), Robbie Earl (MIN), Petr Kalus (MIN), Warren Peters (MIN)

LaBarbera over Montoya??

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote