HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings 2010-11 CHL and NCAA Prospect Update Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2010, 11:19 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

vCash: 500
wow.. Schenn you monster, he wasn't even give a letter either? I'm sure that'll change soon enough as he was one of the captains last year, don't know why he wouldn't be this year.

Toffoli with 3 assists last night, hopefully he gets a couple goals today

Old
12-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Schenn with a goal and an assist in his first game back.
Bust.

Old
12-05-2010, 01:00 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Jordan Weal with 2 goals too

Old
12-06-2010, 09:13 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
wow.. Schenn you monster, he wasn't even give a letter either? I'm sure that'll change soon enough as he was one of the captains last year, don't know why he wouldn't be this year.

Toffoli with 3 assists last night, hopefully he gets a couple goals today
Probably no letter because as was brought up in this thread, he may very well end up traded somewhere if Brandon continues to struggle like they have so far. He may end being sold to a contender for picks if Brandon remains out of the playoff picture.

Old
12-07-2010, 11:45 AM
William H Bonney

No surprise but Derek Forbort was just invited to Team USA's final WJC Camp starting December 16th.

Also of note...of the 29 players invited, 4 are Californians: Emerson Etem, Matt Nieto, Rocco Grimaldi, and Mitch Callahan.

12-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Excellent news. FINALLY, we have a Kings prospect to cheer for on the American team.

GO USA!

Old
12-07-2010, 03:10 PM
montrealhp

Here's an excellent blog to follow if you want to stay up-to-date with the progression of LA Kings prospect Jean-Francois Berube (he plays for the QMJHL's Montreal Juniors): http://www.hockeypoints.blogspot.com/

He's had a slow start to the season but has improved his play recently. Berube is a talented young goalie and I believe has already played a few games in the AHL. Montreal could go all the way this year so it'll be interesting to watch him during the rest of the year.....and during crunch time - the playoffs.

Last edited by montrealhp: 12-07-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old
12-07-2010, 06:14 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Wow.. Austin Watson, Jared Tinordi, Shane Prince all left off.. Could it because of their transition to the OHL from the US programs? I think so, quite embarrassing and shameful from the Americans and whoever made the picks..

Go Canada baby

Old
12-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Wow.. Austin Watson, Jared Tinordi, Shane Prince all left off.. Could it because of their transition to the OHL from the US programs? I think so, quite embarrassing and shameful from the Americans and whoever made the picks..

Go Canada baby
Austin Watson was never in the USNTDP or the USHL, same as Shane Prince . . .

Shame on USA programs? Who won last year against an a stacked Team Canada? No doubt the CHL is still the best development league in the world but for you to say "Shameful" on the USHL & Collegiate programs is arrogant and false

Old
12-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Brodeur

Quote:

Go Canada baby
Tinordi by most accounts has been pretty bad thus far. Perhaps he was snubbed a bit like John Carlson in 2008 for jumping to the OHL (Carlson made the squad last year), but I think Tinordi's play on the ice has been a bigger factor.

Watson could have been a contributor on the bottom 6, but likewise he hasn't been dominating (23 points in 28 games, a good chunk of that coming recently). Not the most egregious non-invite in recent memory. Quite a few incumbents from last year's squad up front, so Prince might have had a hard time cracking the roster (we'll see if Nieto/Grimaldi make the cut).

Old
12-07-2010, 06:27 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
No. Watson being in the CHL didn't hurt him last year when he was added for the Under 18 World Championships. It didn't hurt him when he was invited to the Summer Camp. What hurt him is he's having a down year and the other 3/4th liners he's battling against haven't.

Tinordi is by all accounts having a terrible year as well.

Shane Prince was probably too little too late and with 6 returning wingers, he probably didn't fit into the Top 6 role they would have thought he needed to occupy to make the team.

Transitioning to the CHL didn't hurt guys like Brandon Saad, Emerson Etem, Mitch Callahan, Ryan Bourque, or Jack Campbell.

GO Forbort. GO USA.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 12-07-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old
12-08-2010, 02:54 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Perhaps it's nothing but a stigma attached to the American WJC squad and the way it's picked but it kind of seems like they're anti-CHL. Maybe I'm just looking into it way too much but it's kind of weird that Shane Prince nor the 2 others that I named weren't invited. Oh well, it'll be a solid tournament

Old
12-08-2010, 07:57 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Perhaps it's nothing but a stigma attached to the American WJC squad and the way it's picked but it kind of seems like they're anti-CHL. Maybe I'm just looking into it way too much but it's kind of weird that Shane Prince nor the 2 others that I named weren't invited. Oh well, it'll be a solid tournament
It's not an anti-CHL bias though... As I pointed out a few weeks back it's a massive pro-USNDP bias, it always has been that way. This bias could even be applied to the US Olympic team last year. Guys like Whitney, and Jack Johnson made the team over players that were arguably better and the one thing those two have in common is the USNDP in their pasts... Same thing this year with Etem, Bourque, etc.

Old
12-09-2010, 12:47 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 1015
2 assists and a plus 1 for Braydhenn as the Wheatkings go down 4-3 to Everett

Old
12-09-2010, 12:51 AM
GoWingsGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post

Shane Prince was probably too little too late and with 6 returning wingers, he probably didn't fit into the Top 6 role they would have thought he needed to occupy to make the team.

GO Forbort. GO USA.
Whats too little too late? The tournament is 3 weeks away. Plenty of time to pick up the phone and reneg on a promise they made to one of their cronies.

Shane Prince not being at least invited speaks volumes of USA Hockey. Try to imagine for a moment if he were an NTDP alumni. Think he'd be invited? Of course he would. So his accomplishments to date are overlooked by the "Brains" at USA because A) They never made him an NTDP guy and B)He's doing very well in the best Junior Hockey League in the world.

Shame on USA Hockey!

Old
12-09-2010, 08:04 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWingsGo View Post
Whats too little too late? The tournament is 3 weeks away. Plenty of time to pick up the phone and reneg on a promise they made to one of their cronies.

Shane Prince not being at least invited speaks volumes of USA Hockey. Try to imagine for a moment if he were an NTDP alumni. Think he'd be invited? Of course he would. So his accomplishments to date are overlooked by the "Brains" at USA because A) They never made him an NTDP guy and B)He's doing very well in the best Junior Hockey League in the world.

Shame on USA Hockey!
Same thing could be said about Toffoli being left off the Canada roster... The top six is pretty much set for the US roster and I don't see Prince fitting in playing on the bottom six. There are other players that play that defensive role better. Same thing with Toffoli, he has great offensive skill but Canada already has 6 guys better. He isn't invited because he may be ineffective in a checking role on the team.

Old
12-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Same thing could be said about Toffoli being left off the Canada roster... The top six is pretty much set for the US roster and I don't see Prince fitting in playing on the bottom six. There are other players that play that defensive role better. Same thing with Toffoli, he has great offensive skill but Canada already has 6 guys better. He isn't invited because he may be ineffective in a checking role on the team.
That's exactly the reason Prince wasn't invited. The top six is set (Morin, Palmieri, Krieder, Bourque, D'Amigo, and Zucker). What do they all have in common? They are all returnees-a real advantage. Prince was just not going to play in a bottom six role. It's the same reason a NCAA player like Beau Bennett wasn't invited.

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 12-09-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old
12-10-2010, 01:06 AM
GoWingsGo

I can understand Prince's position when you put it that way but is Grimaldi there as a bottom 6? That doesn't wash with the top6/bottom 6 theory. Can't see Rocco as a checker against Big 3rd 4th liners. Prince has size plus is tops in the OHL +/- leaders and a top OHL Pk guy. Wouldn't it make more sense for USA to have him at least at camp? Really having a hard time getting my head around that one. Prince seems like the perfect 3rd line guy to have who could step into a top 6 if someone goes down with an injury.
But all in all the USA is strong and I'm sure there are a million ways to slice this. I still believe there is a bias against CHL Americans.

Old
12-10-2010, 01:20 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWingsGo View Post
I can understand Prince's position when you put it that way but is Grimaldi there as a bottom 6? That doesn't wash with the top6/bottom 6 theory. Can't see Rocco as a checker against Big 3rd 4th liners. Prince has size plus is tops in the OHL +/- leaders and a top OHL Pk guy. Wouldn't it make more sense for USA to have him at least at camp? Really having a hard time getting my head around that one. Prince seems like the perfect 3rd line guy to have who could step into a top 6 if someone goes down with an injury.
But all in all the USA is strong and I'm sure there are a million ways to slice this. I still believe there is a bias against CHL Americans.
Part of why Prince is producing so well because he's playing on the best line in the OHL with Toffoli and Martindale. Take those two away and who knows how well he'd perform.

Old
12-10-2010, 04:29 PM
QMJHL37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Part of why Prince is producing so well because he's playing on the best line in the OHL with Toffoli and Martindale. Take those two away and who knows how well he'd perform.
Part of the reason ANY Top Line player at any level is successful is because they are playing with other skilled players. That goes without saying. Take it from me, I see almost every 67's game and Prince and Toffoli are the best forwards on this team. If anyone is benefitting it's Martindale. Martindale was out all last weekend and Prince and Toffoli had monster weekends.

Old
12-10-2010, 09:17 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Tyler Toffoli with 2 goals tonight and there's a whole period left to play

Old
12-11-2010, 06:11 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHL37 View Post
Part of the reason ANY Top Line player at any level is successful is because they are playing with other skilled players. That goes without saying. Take it from me, I see almost every 67's game and Prince and Toffoli are the best forwards on this team. If anyone is benefitting it's Martindale. Martindale was out all last weekend and Prince and Toffoli had monster weekends.
I think what you have to keep in mind though is that Ottawa's top line is performing well in their system as a unit. Split it up and try force those players into a different scheme and who knows if they'll be able to produce. That's true for any player, but chemistry is so much more important than anything in these tournaments that maybe the team was concerned enough about Prince's adaptability that they decided to go with someone who they were more sure would be able to work well in the system regardless of their linemates. Just speculating, of course, but I think it's the same reasoning by which Toffoli got snubbed by Canada.

Old
12-11-2010, 03:06 PM
William H Bonney

I hope anyone that has the Big Ten Network or Fox Sports Detroit is tuning in right now for the start of "The Big Chill at the Big House." Michigan versus Michigan St. in front of 110,000 fans.

Old
12-11-2010, 11:31 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Does anyone know why Brayden Schenn didn't play for Brandon tonight?

Old
12-11-2010, 11:40 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Does anyone know why Brayden Schenn didn't play for Brandon tonight?
Team Canada camp.

Closed Thread