HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings 2010-11 CHL and NCAA Prospect Update Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
If this is meant to be a comprehensive and complete list then Martin Nolet from U Mass could be added as well. He's a senior this year and the Kings do technically still own his rights...
Nolet was a senior last season. The Kings no longer have his rights.

Old
10-12-2010, 04:12 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Nolet was a senior last season. The Kings no longer have his rights.
Sorry, could of swore he was a junior last year. Just checked and you're right.

Old
10-15-2010, 08:57 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

I read on the college board that the UND bus was rear-ended on the way to their game. No injuries though.

Old
10-16-2010, 01:15 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Forbort picked up 2 more assists last night in a 5-2 win.

Old
10-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Forbort is tied for the team lead in points with 5 in 3 games. Not bad for a freshman, and a defenseman no less.

Old
10-16-2010, 10:46 PM
MarcPiquesFan

Ever wonder how hard is Nicolas Deslauriers' shot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ9ZkVTf6yU

Last edited by MarcPiquesFan: 10-17-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old
10-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Firenze
Robynho

WHL:

Jordan Weal: 2G 2A -1 (Regina Pats 4-7 Kootenay Ice)
Linden Vey: 4A +3 (Edmonton Oil Kings 4-6 Medicine Hat Tigers)

OHL:

Robbie Czarnik: 1G 1A +1 (Windsor Spitfires 1-4 Plymouth Whalers)
Tyler Toffoli: 1A +1 (Ottawa 67's 6-3 Erie Otters)

QMJHL:

Nicolas Deslauriers: 2A +2 (Chicoutimi Sagueneens 3-4 Gatineau Olympiques)

Great night for Kings' prospects

Old
10-17-2010, 01:41 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Deslauriers looks way bigger than anyone else in that video.

Old
10-17-2010, 03:45 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

friggen disappointed with Toffoli so far, I'm expecting a 40-50 goal season from him lol but they're not even playing him that much from what I see..

Old
10-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Csonked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Forbort is tied for the team lead in points with 5 in 3 games. Not bad for a freshman, and a defenseman no less.
Forbort has been absolutely dominant so far this season. He is the real deal, I would compare his style to that of Paul Martin as a very complete defenseman. Very strong in his own zone, can jump in the play with ease, and can play special teams. Kids his age just don't do this in the WCHA, Nick Leddy struggled mightly in Minnesota for a good portion of the season and Forbort is looking like a damn seasoned vet. If his play continues like this, he will not be back at North Dakota for a second season, his play has been that damn good.

Old
10-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Firenze
Robynho

Tonight:

Tyler Toffoli 1G 1A
Nicolas Deslauriers 1A

Old
10-18-2010, 12:02 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightingbooya View Post
Forbort has been absolutely dominant so far this season. He is the real deal, I would compare his style to that of Paul Martin as a very complete defenseman. Very strong in his own zone, can jump in the play with ease, and can play special teams. Kids his age just don't do this in the WCHA, Nick Leddy struggled mightly in Minnesota for a good portion of the season and Forbort is looking like a damn seasoned vet. If his play continues like this, he will not be back at North Dakota for a second season, his play has been that damn good.
Where will he be lol? Not in LA, I can guarantee you that, I think the organization see him more as a project player, someone with huge upside and raw talent.

This might be a stupid question but what is the rule for NCAA players and the CHL? For example, can Forbort leave North Dakota next year and play for a CHL team.. Kind of like what Robbie Czarnik did last year?

Thanks

Old
10-18-2010, 12:40 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Where will he be lol? Not in LA, I can guarantee you that, I think the organization see him more as a project player, someone with huge upside and raw talent.

This might be a stupid question but what is the rule for NCAA players and the CHL? For example, can Forbort leave North Dakota next year and play for a CHL team.. Kind of like what Robbie Czarnik did last year?

Thanks
Yes.

In fact, I think he could play in the AHL.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:46 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
North Dakota is a great program. I'd be happy keeping him there as long as he wanted to stay there.

Old
10-18-2010, 04:19 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
North Dakota is a great program. I'd be happy keeping him there as long as he wanted to stay there.
Same. Some people forget how long it takes for young defensemen to develop due to the success of some of the NHL's recent young superstars. It used to be that a Dman would play four years in college no matter what. North Dakota is the perfect place for him right now.

Old
10-18-2010, 04:35 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Same. Some people forget how long it takes for young defensemen to develop due to the success of some of the NHL's recent young superstars. It used to be that a Dman would play four years in college no matter what. North Dakota is the perfect place for him right now.
Ya, that's why I don't understand when people say Hickey and Teubert are busts. We're spoiled with Drew Doughty, a guy who just hoped out of the OHL straight to the NHL and fit. Defenseman take longer to develop..

Personally, I like prospects to come out of the CHL system, it's the closest to the NHL and the transition is easier. DL & co. have a track record of drafting through the CHL in the first round too, that's why I was shocked when we took Forbort. For example, Czarnik going from Michigan to Plymouth, another solid example is John Carlson. Drafted as a sophomore, out of Indiana Ice of the USHL in 2008, 1st round pick by the Caps, the year after the draft, transfered to the London Knights and played alongside John Tavares, Michael Del Zotto and Nazem Kadri (I think). Put up nasty points (16 goals, 60 assists in 59 games), now look at him, solid contributer for the Caps and he was drafted same year as Doughty/Teubert/Voynov. I'm not against NCAA players whatsoever, in fact, all of you keep saying North Dakota is a great program (I only know Matt Greene & Zach Parise went there), but we were able to make the Forbort pick because of our depth at D. Forbort is a project, I think, I don't expect to see him in LA for another 2-3 years, unless he goes to Manchester next year or transfers to the OHL, then I can see him here a lot sooner.

Last edited by AKAY47: 10-18-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old
10-18-2010, 05:00 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I agree with both of you. Just providing an answer to a question.

Old
10-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Fat Elvis

It's only 5 games into his first season. Let's see how the season goes before we make plans for Forbort. There's absolutely no reason to rush this kid.

Old
10-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Csonked Out

Quote:
Ya, that's why I don't understand when people say Hickey and Teubert are busts. We're spoiled with Drew Doughty, a guy who just hoped out of the OHL straight to the NHL and fit. Defenseman take longer to develop..

Personally, I like prospects to come out of the CHL system, it's the closest to the NHL and the transition is easier. DL & co. have a track record of drafting through the CHL in the first round too, that's why I was shocked when we took Forbort. For example, Czarnik going from Michigan to Plymouth, another solid example is John Carlson. Drafted as a sophomore, out of Indiana Ice of the USHL in 2008, 1st round pick by the Caps, the year after the draft, transfered to the London Knights and played alongside John Tavares, Michael Del Zotto and Nazem Kadri (I think). Put up nasty points (16 goals, 60 assists in 59 games), now look at him, solid contributer for the Caps and he was drafted same year as Doughty/Teubert/Voynov. I'm not against NCAA players whatsoever, in fact, all of you keep saying North Dakota is a great program (I only know Matt Greene & Zach Parise went there), but we were able to make the Forbort pick because of our depth at D. Forbort is a project, I think, I don't expect to see him in LA for another 2-3 years, unless he goes to Manchester next year or transfers to the OHL, then I can see him here a lot sooner.
Some of the others you will recognize are the following:

Jonathan Toews
Travis Zajac
Drew Stafford
Mike Commodore
TJ Oshie
Jason Blake
Ryan Johnson
Ed Belfour
Jon Casey

I have been following the program for years and trust me he is in the right program, the kid is just unreal. I have never seen a defenseman look this good so early on ever, and there has been a lot of big names that have come through the WCHA. His stride is almost effortless, he has a great first pass, and a low hard shot. I know many in LA think he is a project, but it may not be a very long project. I am going to enjoy watching him this year and will take every year after as gravy if he does stay because the kid is a stud. On a side note, if any of you have Fox Sports on your dish or cable you can watch every UND home game all year long as UND has a contract with them.

Old
10-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Chazz Reinhold

I'll be watching Forbort live this weekend to give my input.

Old
10-18-2010, 10:34 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightingbooya View Post
Some of the others you will recognize are the following:

Jonathan Toews
Travis Zajac
Drew Stafford
Mike Commodore
TJ Oshie
Jason Blake
Ryan Johnson
Ed Belfour
Jon Casey

I have been following the program for years and trust me he is in the right program, the kid is just unreal. I have never seen a defenseman look this good so early on ever, and there has been a lot of big names that have come through the WCHA. His stride is almost effortless, he has a great first pass, and a low hard shot. I know many in LA think he is a project, but it may not be a very long project. I am going to enjoy watching him this year and will take every year after as gravy if he does stay because the kid is a stud. On a side note, if any of you have Fox Sports on your dish or cable you can watch every UND home game all year long as UND has a contract with them.
Wow, you're making me super excited about the pick hahaha. Your input on Forbort's games is valuable on these boards, we appreciate it, keep letting us know how he's doing. Thanks man!

Old
10-19-2010, 01:06 PM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Yes.

In fact, I think he could play in the AHL.
This explains it.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=417096

Forbert turned 18 this past March 4th, so he could play in the AHL right now.

Old
10-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Csonked Out

Quote:
Wow, you're making me super excited about the pick hahaha. Your input on Forbort's games is valuable on these boards, we appreciate it, keep letting us know how he's doing. Thanks man!
No problem, also if your looking for a Gem next year, the son of former NHL Player Craig Simpson is with UND this year as a 17 year old. Dillon Simpson was the AJHL rookie of the year last year as a defenseman scoring 12 goals and 28 assists for 41 points in 58 games as a 16 year old. He has the potential to be a first or second round pick depending on how the season plays out for him. He is still so young as he isn't draft eligible until this next year, but keep an eye on him throughout the year as he has the potential to make some noise.

Old
10-20-2010, 09:13 PM
riznat

Toffoli having a good game, 1g 2a with 5 minutes left, they have a 4-2 lead.

Old
10-20-2010, 10:30 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

If Toff can overcome that really weird/awkward pivot to power step of his he could become a very solid NHLer. I could see him fitting in as a hard nosed soft handed 2nd liner who can work in front of the net on the PP.

Keep it up Toff!

Closed Thread