HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leighton has a bulging disc, out one month (updated Tuesday, Sept. 28; post#202)

Old
09-28-2010, 02:22 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I actually think Backlund can be a good goalie. Hopefully he is actually healthy soon
Me too. Which is why I'm hoping both him and Bob can really impress in the pre-season, and whichever one gets the call up, hopefully they see a game or two started sometime in the regular season.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
I actually think Backlund can be a good goalie. Hopefully he is actually healthy soon
The think with Backlund is that he's either going to be ready now or he'll never be ready. He's pushing 30. There's no fear of rushing him to the NHL like with Bob. If Backlund gets called up and sucks... who cares? That just means that he was never all that good to begin with.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:29 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Funny how when there was talk of Thomas being available people didn't want him because of his contract obviously but also b/c we would have to give up Gagne and b/c Thomas was supposedly a cripple....

Well Gagne was a salary dump...and in return we got dumped on with Walker and now Leighton looks like the cripple...then of course we wasted cap money on a goon and a still reforming goon in Carcillo who's value is still in question. Leighton was overpaid as well. Holmgren could have worked the cap much more effectively than he has to get a stinkin goalie in here...

Anyway some interesting quotes from Holmgren...

Quote:
Q: With regard to Michael Leightonís injury, was surgery discussed as an option?

ďItís a bulging disk. My personal experience with bulging disks is they go back in eventually. Itís not a herniated disk, which is a bigger issue in and of itself. Itís a bulging disk, and we think with strengthening and rehab and time that heíll be OK. Right now we think that time period is a month just to let everything settle down. Heís actually in here working out today and doing some other stuff. Itís uncomfortable when that happens, and thatís what heís dealing with right now. Because of the position, in goal, itís a little more dicey than a regular player because of the way heís bent over all the time in net.Ē
ya think Paul!

Quote:
Q: How did this pop up with [Michael]? Did he struggle with it this summer?

ďWe donít know that itís related to what happened this summer. He came in this summer when he had issues, and they didnít discover any kind of a bulging disk at that time. It wasnít really discovered until today. There were a bunch of different guys that were reading the MRI between last night and today. We got a curveball thrown at us too. Like I said, it is what it is right now, and weíll deal with it.
No you got beaned by a 90MPH fastball! That sting won't go away anytime soon Paul especially if none of the 3 backups prove their worth as a number 1. You are worse than Goldman Sachs, AIG, Citi, JPMorgan, Wells Fargo and GM combined! Always looking for bailouts!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:33 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Funny how when there was talk of Thomas being available people didn't want him because of his contract obviously but also b/c we would have to give up Gagne and b/c Thomas was supposedly a cripple....

Well Gagne was a salary dump...and in return we got dumped on with Walker and now Leighton looks like the cripple...then of course we wasted cap money on a goon and a still reforming goon in Carcillo who's value is still in question. Leighton was overpaid as well. Holmgren could have worked the cap much more effectively than he has to get a stinkin goalie in here...

Anyway some interesting quotes from Holmgren...

ya think Paul!

No you got beaned by a 90MPH fastball! That sting won't go away anytime soon Paul especially if none of the 3 backups prove their worth as a number 1. You are worse than Goldman Sachs, AIG, Citi, JPMorgan, Wells Fargo and GM combined! Always looking for bailouts!
We get it.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
The think with Backlund is that he's either going to be ready now or he'll never be ready. He's pushing 30. There's no fear of rushing him to the NHL like with Bob. If Backlund gets called up and sucks... who cares? That just means that he was never all that good to begin with.
That sums it up pretty well. To add to what you said, he's also on a one-year deal. Meaning, even if he were younger, I doubt the organization brings him back next year if he doesn't show anything this year.

Backlund has the best chance to be our starter assuming he's healthy. No one wants to rush Bob and it's well-established that Boosh isn't starter material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
That's actually a really good way to describe him. "Always looking for bailouts".

Anyways, I'm just going to put "We got a curveball thrown at us too. Like I said, it is what it is right now, and weíll deal with it" in with "What can you do?" as legendary Paul Holmgren quotes.

Apparently the plan of signing a career scrub to be our starter and having no backup plan in place isn't working out for us. Who knew? I mean, what a curveball this is.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Did he shine in the AHL?

Last edited by Kaktus*: 09-28-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:45 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
We get it.
He is addressing the Philly media after all. Does anyone on here think he's going to give any real substance to the questions other than generic responses and the news of the injuries he wants to report?

No! He's going to ramble on about the obvious to make it seem like a good answer. Seems like a lot of people here thinks he actually answers those questions like that because he has an IQ of 12.

Same stuff with Richards last year. Get the media out of the way so I can do my job.

Old
09-28-2010, 02:45 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
He is addressing the Philly media after all. Does anyone on here think he's going to give any real substance to the questions other than generic responses and the news of the injuries he wants to report?

No! He's going to ramble on about the obvious to make it seem like a good answer. Seems like a lot of people here thinks he actually answers those questions like that because he has an IQ of 12.

Same stuff with Richards last year. Get the media out of the way so I can do my job.
I was more referring to the fact that you would think Paul Holmgren were the anti christ the way that guy rants on him. Still well said though.

Old
09-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

If he didn't see this "curveball" coming, then he's a bad GM. Simple as that.

Old
09-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Well, wait a second here. Let's examine this logically. Last season he tried to get by with unproven, cheap goalies and it led to a goalie carousel all season long. That's a curveball.

Now, this season, he tries to get by with a similar group of unproven, cheap (yet still overpaid) group of goalies and another goalie carousel begins. That's another curveball.

Clearly Homer wasn't expecting for the pitcher to throw two breaking pitches back to back. That's a rarity. What can you do?

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:56 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Pretty much that is the point. He took another gamble with Leighton and usually when something is a risky/bad idea too begin with it ultimately manifests itself in a bad way.

As far as the "rant"...love how when there are valid grievances pointed out such as the manner in which he's constantly been bad with the cap and addressing the goalie situation ..the problem is with a poster from HF Boards..LOL! No he's not the anti-christ but he's not the brightest either b/c he's always engaging in brinkmanship and not planning accordingly with backup plans...even simple ones. He better hope he gets another bailout this time around...that's why Boucher is still here.

Old
09-28-2010, 03:00 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Get the media out of the way so I can do my job.
Yeah a handjob.....

Old
09-28-2010, 03:02 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Did he shine in the AHL?
No, but he did decent on a horrible team.

I just liked what I saw of him, he looks talented, and we have a good D to put infront of him

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:03 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Well, wait a second here. Let's examine this logically. Last season he tried to get by with unproven, cheap goalies and it led to a goalie carousel all season long. That's a curveball.

Now, this season, he tries to get by with a similar group of unproven, cheap (yet still overpaid) group of goalies and another goalie carousel begins. That's another curveball.

Clearly Homer wasn't expecting for the pitcher to throw two breaking pitches back to back. That's a rarity. What can you do?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:04 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Calling that team horrible might be a bit generous.

Not that it matters, because it was an extremely small sample size, but he did look pretty good against the Pens before he got injured as well.

Old
09-28-2010, 03:04 PM
Teezax

Am I the only one seeing a positive out of all this?
I am a believer that Boucher is better than Leighton for starters.
And we all know what's going to happen with Backlund and Bobro, Backlund's injury will keep him out and Bobro is going to get the backup job and eventually the starter's job by Christmas. Is it the right move? Probably not... he should get some time in the AHL but the Flyers' faithful have been outraged by the lack of a capable goaltender since the late 80's The masses will force the organization's hand in keeping Bobro up because of the success he has shown in his short stint thus far.
You heard it here first!

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:05 PM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
If only:

Off season starts:
/sign turco/nabby/niitty/biron

Done.

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:05 PM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
And we all know what's going to happen with Backlund and Bobro, Backlund's injury will keep him out and Bobro is going to get the backup job and eventually the starter's job by Christmas. Is it the right move? Probably not... he should get some time in the AHL but the Flyers' faithful have been outraged by the lack of a capable goaltender since the late 80's The masses will force the organization's hand in keeping Bobro up because of the success he has shown in his short stint thus far.
You heard it here first!
The flyers back office reads hfboards?

Old
09-28-2010, 03:06 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Quote:
Nope.. I was hoping it would come to this to be honest..
Or else making this would have been silly!

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Bulging disc sounds like something that's a lot more then a month doesn't it?
Khabby had disc problems his last 2 years in Chicago. Missed significant time and then finally had his back need surgery last year

They are notorious for reoccuring in a netminder

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:24 PM
McNasty

Quote:
You heard it here first!
A fair point, but for the bolded part that's not what they did with Nitty who came up and won player of the week IIRC. He went back down despite everyone wanting him to stay up.

Old
09-28-2010, 03:29 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:

As much as you make a good point, I don't consider "injuries" a curveball in the sense you do. If you do, that's fine.

You couldn't have predicted Emery's condition last year, which essentially got the ball rolling on the goalie carousel. This year's carousel so far comes from an injury to our goalie again which, though unproven, doesn't have a serious record with injuries, minus an ankle injury last year.

As for a backup plan, I honestly think in his eyes (and the organizations, he's not the only one making the calls) that he had it. Stack the defense around the goaltender the best you can so that no matter who you put in, Leighton/Boucher/Backlund/Bob could perform halfway decent in net. A lot of the fix that helped Leighton perform so well with his shoddy rebound control was the fact that the defense was positioned to allow a shot that he could see on net, and then be there to clear the rebound, which he will likely generate, out of there.

8 defenders leaves room for injuries to the defense(I'm not happy with Walker either, but he's here. Might as well use him). Backlund/Bob leave room for injuries to goaltenders. Unproven goaltenders, but you've got to prove them sometime.

Old
09-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

last season, emery's injury/the goaltending situation was like homer missing a swing on the quickest fastball ever thrown. he then through a stroke of luck got on base off a blind swing.

so far this season, it's more like if he managed to strike out in T-ball while bunting.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:42 PM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
last season, emery's injury/the goaltending situation was like homer missing a swing on the quickest fastball ever thrown. he then through a stroke of luck got on base off a blind swing.

so far this season, it's more like if he managed to strike out in T-ball while bunting.
Or hit his lead off runner with a line drive.

Old
09-28-2010, 03:44 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

I just liked what I saw of him, he looks talented, and we have a good D to put infront of him
He was the MVP for the Phantoms if that means anything. At one point he was top 10 in GAA/sv%. Team was killing him on the defensive and offensive side. 0 help.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote